Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Risk vs Identity

Jump to newest

By *r Bob OP   Man
over a year ago

Banffshire

As a relative newbie to the site I’m interested in how folks weigh up the pros and cons of revealing too much of their identity at the beginning of chats against the risk of people discovering their job or domestic situation, etc - if that makes sense!? If it doesn’t I blame the sun in the NE!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I have no domestic situation so fuck all to hide.

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

It makes perfect sense.

When I first joined a was due to meet someone for a social near my house. He mentioned that he'd be happy to come to my house.

So I asked for proof of his name. He ranted about how he was on here because he didn't want to date and didn't want people to know his private business etc.

Which I get.

But him rocking up with a Fab name and I don't know where he works, lives or his real name.

Coming to my house so he had access to all that info plus my address....not happening.

He threw a strop, told me I was wasting his time and flounced away into the ether.

I've met people since and I've felt confident in who they portrayed themselves to be.

Use your instinct is my advice.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m not all that bothered if people I know see me on here. It’s not illegal.

I’m cagey about work place, address, my whereabouts etc as I was chatting to someone local but had made it clear I’m not meeting anyone. It was only small talk then I said I needed to stop messaging as I was off to Sainsbury’s, he turned up to ‘surprise me’ the biggest surprise was he was about 10 years older than the guy who’s photos he used, and looked nothing like him!

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Instinct and personal risk assessment/factors are both great tools OP as is common sense - and those things may vary from person to person that I come across.

Someone with a well written profile, several in-person verifications and who I've seen (and liked) the way they act on the forums I may be more comfortable about sharing information with than someone with a blank profile, no veris and little other presence to go on.

Some people here, some of whom I've never met, practically know my life story, others may know bits and pieces and others I reveal very little at all.

By *omino51Man
over a year ago

loughborough

Like someone said always go by your instint. Its saved me a few times. "Stay safe" with your sex life as well as health.

By *ustyshowoffCouple
over a year ago

Cyprus

We live in quite a big ex pat area where a lot of people are just waiting for the chance to gossip.

For that reason we keep our personal info to a minimum until we know or think we can trust someone.

M

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't give out any personal information. If I get to the point where I'm meeting someone for a social they get my first name and we communicate on Telegram. No one ever knows where I live, what I do, my full name or anything else. A handful of friends I've made on here have my phone number.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Not ideal for my line of work especially in the type of place I work so I try to keep myself pretty anonymous.

I also don't like to shit where I eat so generally prefer meeting people who aren't on the next street.

Post new Message to Thread