Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Shops not taking cash

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do anyone think that shops will return back to accepting cash or will many of them remain card only?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I think they will keep to cards, ultimately leading to a cashless society and possibly digital currency.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

"Do anyone think that shops will return back to accepting cash or will many of them remain card only? "

apart from mc donalds every shop round here is accepting cash.they wouldnt have no customers if they didnt.i dont have contactless and can think of a dozen others just of the top of my head. who dont have it either

over a year ago

I went to b&q today and they wouldn't serve me because I only had cash, so I drove to dunelm mills and they wouldn't take my cash either.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

Most shops around here are accepting cash. Some of the bigger stores have always been asking cash or card at the checkout, so although the card transactions will have increased, there's still been a good amount of cash in use.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I haven't come across a shop that insist on cards yet during lockdown, which is good as I much prefer using cash. I only go shopping for essentials however, any non essential I just order online instead.

over a year ago

Why are people still using cash, am I missing something

over a year ago

"Why are people still using cash, am I missing something "

Well for me because I have some to spend and I can't be messed with cards to be honest.

over a year ago

They also refused me in a pet shop as well.. And my mate who always pays cash for his insurance.

over a year ago

"I think they will keep to cards, ultimately leading to a cashless society and possibly digital currency. "

This most definitely

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Even before this I stopped carrying cash. Right ball ache when it comes to parking though.

over a year ago

"I think they will keep to cards, ultimately leading to a cashless society and possibly digital currency.

This most definitely "

I hope not

over a year ago

Maybe Google specific shops that you plan to use to double-check if they're accepting cash or not right now? I plan to go into town over the next few days to two specific shops and I got the information I needed off their websites straight away.

By *asian_fruitMan
over a year ago

Fuckingham Palace

It’s already forecasted that Britain will be a cashless society in a decades time. Some European countries are miles ahead and only 10% of their nations transactions are cash based (predominantly due to older generation, otherwise cash would be extinct in those countries.

Anyway, bring your cash to me and I’ll dispose of it for you!

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Normal sooooooon

By *inkyfun2013Couple
over a year ago

lewisham

I own several businesses and we're card only for now. Once the banks are fully open we'll go back to taking cash. At the moment our local bank has hour-long queues and I simply don't have time for it.

We've only had one person get irate about it but he was just out to pick a fight after reading the notice on the door. He had no intention of buying anything, just wanted to be stroppy. My staff agreed it was outrageous, disgusting, inconvenient etc and blamed me and told him to send me a letter. I look forward to receiving it, there aren't enough laughs at the moment!

over a year ago

I don't see the point in cash now. I pay with my watch or phone mostly these days..... .....fuck all that jangling pockets nonsense....

over a year ago

"Maybe Google specific shops that you plan to use to double-check if they're accepting cash or not right now? I plan to go into town over the next few days to two specific shops and I got the information I needed off their websites straight away."

It's just places like b&q and all the builders yards around here are pissing me off, because I'm trying to get stuff to work on my house.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Do anyone think that shops will return back to accepting cash or will many of them remain card only? "

If it was card only I wouldnt shop there anymore.

As id buy online instead as its cheaper

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I don't see the point in cash now. I pay with my watch or phone mostly these days..... .....fuck all that jangling pockets nonsense...."

Good to know when your taking me everywhere

over a year ago

"I don't see the point in cash now. I pay with my watch or phone mostly these days..... .....fuck all that jangling pockets nonsense...."

I get paid in cash so I can't see the point in putting in my bank to use it when I already have it ready to hand

over a year ago

"I don't see the point in cash now. I pay with my watch or phone mostly these days..... .....fuck all that jangling pockets nonsense....

Good to know when your taking me everywhere "

Where are we going...?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I don't see the point in cash now. I pay with my watch or phone mostly these days..... .....fuck all that jangling pockets nonsense....

Where are we going...?"

India Pakistan

By *ave-and-LouiseCouple
over a year ago

Torquay

I haven't had cash in my wallet for months to be honest. Just card everything. I don't really miss it. D

over a year ago

Not only shops bus to..see to older ladies being denied entry because they didn't had card..

over a year ago

Cash is like a dirty word these days. Some people are like they don't know what I'm talking about when I say cash and others are like omg you got cash

over a year ago

Where are we going...?

India Pakistan "

Cool, I'd love that!

I've never been to India proper. Visited Goa years ago and that was nice....

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Where are we going...?

India Pakistan

Cool, I'd love that!

I've never been to India proper. Visited Goa years ago and that was nice...."

Xx

over a year ago

"Not only shops bus to..see to older ladies being denied entry because they didn't had card.."

Yes this is where it's heading and I have actually seen an old lady queuing for 25 minutes to get into a local shop.

And she was told she couldn't pay with cash.

The shop assistant said it was her own fault as it was all over there website!

The man behind her paid for her cards and gift wrap, i was prepared to do the same.

over a year ago

"Not only shops bus to..see to older ladies being denied entry because they didn't had card..

Yes this is where it's heading and I have actually seen an old lady queuing for 25 minutes to get into a local shop.

The man behind her paid for her cards and gift wrap, i was prepared to do the same. "

Someone was prepared to pay for me with card but the manager said it wasn't allowed. Wtf

over a year ago

"Not only shops bus to..see to older ladies being denied entry because they didn't had card..

The man behind her paid for her cards and gift wrap, i was prepared to do the same.

Someone was prepared to pay for me with card but the manager said it wasn't allowed. Wtf "

Thats ridiculous!

over a year ago

Someone was prepared to pay for me with card but the manager said it wasn't allowed. Wtf

Thats ridiculous!"

It is and it's not the only place like that

over a year ago

The new Chelsea football stadium will be working as a cashless zone where you dont need to bring your money on sight to purchase from food or drink stands

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Even before lockdown London was heading this way in pubs and at football. I can’t remember the last time I had cash on me in this country, probably January getting rid of Christmas / birthday money

By *heshirefungirlWoman
over a year ago

ammanford

When I'm on the till and people ask if we are still taking cash I simply reply "as long as you aren't licking it", I've had people take there glove off and lower there mask so they can lick there finger to separate these new notes, iv had people put there notes in there mouth while they pack there shopping then try to hand me said note and when I pull them up on it most of them don't even realize they do it, but I think more people are paying cash now that before all this crazy

over a year ago

Some shops in the island are still taking cash.

over a year ago

Card only is the way, cash is too dangerous, can’t be traced and is often used for illicit crime like money laundering and drugs, only problem is that older generations and the benefits bums (the ones who can’t be arsed getting a job) rely on cash so at the moment it’s staying

over a year ago

So cashless shops allow me to pick up goods which have been handled by countless people before me, of which I have no provenence of their cleanliness, which have had countless people breathe cough and sneeze indirectly over them, take them to the checkout, their staff will then handle those same goods, yet will not take coins and notes which have been in my wallet or pockets, away from most sources of infection...

Right...

over a year ago

Cash is dirty!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

At the start of the Covid crisis I drew out a grand in fun coupons just in case. Still got £940 as nobody will take it.

And to be honest it’s easier just tapping my card now. If you bank with Revolut I get notifications as I go along so I can keep track of everything.

I believe cash will be a thing of the past.

over a year ago

"At the start of the Covid crisis I drew out a grand in fun coupons just in case. Still got £940 as nobody will take it.

And to be honest it’s easier just tapping my card now. If you bank with Revolut I get notifications as I go along so I can keep track of everything.

I believe cash will be a thing of the past. "

Would you like to sell it to me? I will pay you £500 in bank transfer!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"At the start of the Covid crisis I drew out a grand in fun coupons just in case. Still got £940 as nobody will take it.

I believe cash will be a thing of the past.

Would you like to sell it to me? I will pay you £500 in bank transfer!"

Yeah will pm you my details the moment your cash hits my account I will send it pinky promise.

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

Cash has been and always will be king.

over a year ago

Write them a cheque instead

By *ickDastardlyMan
over a year ago

North East

"Why are people still using cash, am I missing something "

Yeah buddy, this is what I thought.

Until Monday when my tyre pressure light came on in my car and I had no change to the air machine at the garage.

and they wouldn’t change my fiver at the station.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Shops which do not take cash do not get my business, although I do have cashless cards as an emergency back up.

Somehow cannot see sellers at car boot sales having card readers.

I have just had a new central heating system installed Cash £4000 or card £4800 needless to say I paid cash, hopefully the black economy will continue to survive for a few more years yet.

over a year ago

They'll have to take cash as in ,can't refuse it ,as it's legal tender ,they can put up a sign saying card payment only but if a customer has only cash ,they're obliged to take it and can't refuse it .

over a year ago

I like cash and haven't had any problems spending it when I have it.

over a year ago

I prefer card and I hope it leads slowly towards cashless society.

over a year ago

"I prefer card and I hope it leads slowly towards cashless society. "

What's 3.5 inches and gives immense pleasure? A credit card!

over a year ago

I’ve had no problem paying with cash and where I work most out customers are still paying with it.

I like having both, card is way too easy for me to spend a mix keeps of both keeps me grounded

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

My local store is doing both as they said the olds don't understand contactless and it's easier for them they just wipe the notes with gel

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"My local store is doing both as they said the olds don't understand contactless and it's easier for them they just wipe the notes with gel"

My Dad will simply not entertain contactless. He does not “trust” it. Bless him.

over a year ago

Which shops are they - I haven't experienced any

Only noticed Body Shop the other day!

Crikey you can tell I've mostly been online!

over a year ago

Cash is dead, it wear holes in your pockets and you have to check your change, who needs that shit.

over a year ago

"My local store is doing both as they said the olds don't understand contactless and it's easier for them they just wipe the notes with gel

My Dad will simply not entertain contactless. He does not “trust” it. Bless him. "

Bet he uses a TV, washing machine, toaster and a car run by those new fangled computers!

over a year ago

"So cashless shops allow me to pick up goods which have been handled by countless people before me, of which I have no provenence of their cleanliness, which have had countless people breathe cough and sneeze indirectly over them, take them to the checkout, their staff will then handle those same goods, yet will not take coins and notes which have been in my wallet or pockets, away from most sources of infection...

Right... "

Spot on!

over a year ago

Yes they will as card transactions are recorded by the banks , no cash means no cash in hand bonus for the retailer

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

"Do anyone think that shops will return back to accepting cash or will many of them remain card only?

They'll have to take cash as in ,can't refuse it ,as it's legal tender ,they can put up a sign saying card payment only but if a customer has only cash ,they're obliged to take it and can't refuse it ."

Shops can decide what methods of payments they want to deal with ... they can refuse whatever they like and accept whatever they like.

over a year ago

The man behind her paid for her cards and gift wrap, i was prepared to do the same. "

She said that to a customer.

If she was my member of staff, I would of told her to go home, without pay for the day!

Cheeky mare!

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Do anyone think that shops will return back to accepting cash or will many of them remain card only?

They'll have to take cash as in ,can't refuse it ,as it's legal tender ,they can put up a sign saying card payment only but if a customer has only cash ,they're obliged to take it and can't refuse it .

Shops can decide what methods of payments they want to deal with ... they can refuse whatever they like and accept whatever they like."

Spot on. Just because it's legal tender doesn't mean the shop has to accept that form of payment.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"I think they will keep to cards, ultimately leading to a cashless society and possibly digital currency.

This most definitely "

And the economy is starting to crash so perfect timing for this to happen. Lots happening on the quiet which isn't hitting the headlines because of corona.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"So cashless shops allow me to pick up goods which have been handled by countless people before me, of which I have no provenence of their cleanliness, which have had countless people breathe cough and sneeze indirectly over them, take them to the checkout, their staff will then handle those same goods, yet will not take coins and notes which have been in my wallet or pockets, away from most sources of infection...

Right...

Spot on! "

Totally ignoring that randomly tested coins and notes have been found to have countless bacteria lurking on them.

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I get paid in cash so I can't see the point in putting in my bank to use it when I already have it ready to hand "

Whilst I understand if you get paid in cash it's easier to keep and not put in the bank, it's also not a good idea to have money lying about your house. Even if you prefer to use cash in shops I'd suggest banking the majority of your wage and then lift what you need when required.

Also at this time it has been well advertised that contactless is preferred as it involves less contact with others than passing cash about. If you don't have contactless you can still use chip and pin which is still less contact with the staff member. It's about safety.

Also the shop may have less G4S collections of cash due to current circumstances.

Sadly for you I'd get used to it cos it's only going to go one way.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My hairdressers has very poor Internet connection so has no choice but to take cash. They aren't giving change so you need the exact money

over a year ago

Right...

Spot on!

Totally ignoring that randomly tested coins and notes have been found to have countless bacteria lurking on them."

Not ignoring anything...

Its just another look at other objects we touch and pick up with the same germs upon them, my good man!

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

If we went to random shop, picked 5 random objects and tested them for bacteria or virus, we might get some hits. It we tested 5 random coins, we'd most likely get hits on all 5. They are higher risk.

And they are not sitting in your wallet away from infection, they carry infection.

It's all about reducing risk not eliminating risk and cashless reduces risk.

over a year ago

There is no need for cash really, be glad when it’s all card or apple/google pay

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

I won't use card only shops unless it's online. There's a few shops here only accepting cash if it's the exact amount. Or taking the money and not giving change.

The same stupid people wanting a cashless society are the idiots who want self serve tills in shops.

By *ittleREDridingWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Small businesses need to still accept cash because the costs for cars machines etc for them wouldn’t be worth it. I hope for their sakes we don’t become a cashless society sooner than expected however, I don’t like cash, I use my phone mostly so rarely even take my purse out these days.

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I won't use card only shops unless it's online. There's a few shops here only accepting cash if it's the exact amount. Or taking the money and not giving change.

The same stupid people wanting a cashless society are the idiots who want self serve tills in shops. "

"Stupid people" "idiots". What a lovely man ...

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Sorry to be old fashioned but I use mainly cash and I will be pissed right off if its abolished.

Every transaction you make you have to check if you've got the funds , fuck that .

Plus internet , computers , bank systems , hackers hacking, can all fuck the system up .

I'm sticking with cash , cant go wrong with it

over a year ago

"If we went to random shop, picked 5 random objects and tested them for bacteria or virus, we might get some hits. It we tested 5 random coins, we'd most likely get hits on all 5. They are higher risk.

And they are not sitting in your wallet away from infection, they carry infection.

It's all about reducing risk not eliminating risk and cashless reduces risk. "

Ok still a risk though...

My card isn't contactless I have to press on buttons of a card machine, that looks like they haven't been wiped down....

Might as well pass those lovely people my cash....

I'm liking a post from another person who's posted on this thread, and getting roasted for it....

Lol

Champion!!!

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Well I'm fucked without cash.

I'm a waitress so don't exactly earn much and the cash tips I make pay for my bus the next day as my wages cover my essential bills and tips just about gets me through day to day

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"If we went to random shop, picked 5 random objects and tested them for bacteria or virus, we might get some hits. It we tested 5 random coins, we'd most likely get hits on all 5. They are higher risk.

It's all about reducing risk not eliminating risk and cashless reduces risk. "

And that's the perfect excuse now to do it , even though we all know it's not the real reason

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

It's all about reducing risk not eliminating risk and cashless reduces risk. And that's the perfect excuse now to do it , even though we all know it's not the real reason "

Yup, this.

over a year ago

On a mooch

I think it comes down to where you live. In London it is becoming very much a cashless world, shops, pubs, transport, etc. When I go see my folks I have to remember to take cash as not everywhere uses card machines.

Supermarket shopping is going even more self service. I now don’t have to interact with anyone when I food shop. I use an app as I shop, scan the bar codes, place in my bag and then when I get to the self serve till it scans a QR code from my phone, then I pay with my card and I leave

I know there are people worried about scamming etc, that’s why the card I use is separate from my bank account. I transfer money in every month, so if it gets scammed all they get is what is left in the account and it gives me instant updates of when it has been used.

Cash won’t disappear anytime soon but it is a changing world

over a year ago

"I think it comes down to where you live. In London it is becoming very much a cashless world, shops, pubs, transport, etc. When I go see my folks I have to remember to take cash as not everywhere uses card machines.

Supermarket shopping is going even more self service. I now don’t have to interact with anyone when I food shop. I use an app as I shop, scan the bar codes, place in my bag and then when I get to the self serve till it scans a QR code from my phone, then I pay with my card and I leave

I know there are people worried about scamming etc, that’s why the card I use is separate from my bank account. I transfer money in every month, so if it gets scammed all they get is what is left in the account and it gives me instant updates of when it has been used.

Cash won’t disappear anytime soon but it is a changing world "

Very true 'tis about location, availability of stores!

I haven't had any essential shops refuse cash yet.

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I think it comes down to where you live. In London it is becoming very much a cashless world, shops, pubs, transport, etc. When I go see my folks I have to remember to take cash as not everywhere uses card machines.

Cash won’t disappear anytime soon but it is a changing world

Very true 'tis about location, availability of stores!

I haven't had any essential shops refuse cash yet. "

No cash accepted here is mostly clothes, takeaways and alike, nothing essential

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

I hate taking cash it’s just a pain in the bum atm & more dangerous as we are self isolating for our daughters health. I get people saying “How much for cash though” They are shocked when I add £10. I don’t earn enough to worry about a huge tax bill so I don’t want the aggro of taking cash & having to make a 12 mile round trip to stick it in the bank. Even cheques are better as I can deposit them online using the banks app & they are cleared in 24hrs now!

There’s still a few local takeaway places only taking cash around these parts even now!

S

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Sorry to be old fashioned but I use mainly cash and I will be pissed right off if its abolished.

Every transaction you make you have to check if you've got the funds , fuck that .

Plus internet , computers , bank systems , hackers hacking, can all fuck the system up .

I'm sticking with cash , cant go wrong with it "

Prefer cash myself unless shopping online for stuff

However not everyone can have a bank card or a contactless card this thread shows many who have one

What i do enjoy the most is when the card has been refused at the machine and they have no cash with them .

the look on there face is enjoyable

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Sorry to be old fashioned but I use mainly cash and I will be pissed right off if its abolished.

I'm sticking with cash , cant go wrong with it

Prefer cash myself unless shopping online for stuff

However not everyone can have a bank card or a contactless card this thread shows many who have one

What i do enjoy the most is when the card has been refused at the machine and they have no cash with them .

the look on there face is enjoyable "

You are sooo evil.

over a year ago

"I hate taking cash it’s just a pain in the bum atm & more dangerous as we are self isolating for our daughters health. I get people saying “How much for cash though” They are shocked when I add £10. I don’t earn enough to worry about a huge tax bill so I don’t want the aggro of taking cash & having to make a 12 mile round trip to stick it in the bank. Even cheques are better as I can deposit them online using the banks app & they are cleared in 24hrs now!

There’s still a few local takeaway places only taking cash around these parts even now!

S"

Why bother to stick it in the bank

over a year ago

Personally I don't trust cards. What's to stop them from taking more money out of my account.

over a year ago

I run a shop and have never refused either cash or card. I will not take cheques though.

Theres a bit of scrooge in me that quite likes the money counting bit at the end of the day.

I have noticed a trend toward more contactless payment in the last couple of years however i'll not take card payment for small items as it still costs more to process the payment than the payment itself.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm unhappy with a business that doesn't want to accept cash, as it is excluding many marginalised people. The business may have a preference but it should implement its abilities to keep everyone included there and to be safe.

Earlier plagues didn't have card payment options and we managed. Plus we know better now.

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

"I hate taking cash it’s just a pain in the bum atm & more dangerous as we are self isolating for our daughters health. I get people saying “How much for cash though” They are shocked when I add £10. I don’t earn enough to worry about a huge tax bill so I don’t want the aggro of taking cash & having to make a 12 mile round trip to stick it in the bank. Even cheques are better as I can deposit them online using the banks app & they are cleared in 24hrs now!

S

Why bother to stick it in the bank "

I fix bikes for a living, 95%+ of my parts are ordered online, my trade accounts are all online or ordered over the phone. We live in the sticks so we even order our food shopping online. Nearest chippy is six miles, nearest decent shopping is twenty four miles, which is also where all the well known fast food outlets are.

So cash sits around in a drawer just for a bit of petrol & shopping top ups.

& have you ever noticed that with cash it seems to melt away quicker & you don’t appear to have much to show for it?

S

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

"Personally I don't trust cards. What's to stop them from taking more money out of my account. "

I won’t authorise my contactless card so still have to use the keypad. Just don’t trust the system.

S

over a year ago

Cash not taking shops!

Post new Message to Thread