Photo Filters

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/06/20 08:12:14]

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Hi Folks is there an over use of photo filters by today’s youth?

By *adeiteWoman
over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

Who says she will still be there at 7am? And is he do vein hes unwilling to pay her attention when the make up is removed?

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

We only remove filters on Thursday, sir.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Had a conversation with friend about this yesterday as they took a photo of us and put a filter on it and I disagreed. I am very natural and don’t understand the need to filter photos as the reality is you can’t filter your face or life!!!!

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Hi Folks is there an over use of photo filters by today’s youth? "
it’s not just the youth that use them but tbh I can see why there’s plenty of pressure on young people mainly girls to have the perfect complexion I’m not a massive fan of them but I don’t have a problem with people who use them

over a year ago

"Who says she will still be there at 7am? And is he do vein hes unwilling to pay her attention when the make up is removed?

"

I mean in a long term

Relationship.

over a year ago

"Had a conversation with friend about this yesterday as they took a photo of us and put a filter on it and I disagreed. I am very natural and don’t understand the need to filter photos as the reality is you can’t filter your face or life!!!! "
that’s what I mean and put more lady like than by me the big bad Male lol

over a year ago

I'm well past youthful and need all the help i can get

over a year ago

Let the natural beauty stand out, or is it false advertising with a filter on, with whiskers and butterflies

over a year ago

Yes. I can't say it bothers me though.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Yes I do think there is an overuse. But it's not the youngsters that concern me, it's the parents filtering themselves and their children. From a young age children are subconsciously being taught their skin and faces are not good enough, that every blemish and wrinkle must be erased. And what they see in the mirror isn't what their parents put on the wall.

I had photos of my boys done and the photographer removed my eldest chicken pox scar I was furious tbh. What is that teaching him?

over a year ago

I like natural looking women but, if it is used as a tool just for touch up, if it gives somebody an extra bit of confidence, it's up to them. I think the filters can sometimes make people look like sex dolls.

I wouldn't have a clue how to use them either, I can barely take a selfie.

By *akbearMan
over a year ago

Newbury

As a photographer I can see why pictures now look over processed. I love processing the end image almost more than I enjoy taking it.

If you want any pics edited I'm always happy to help. (Can send examples of my work if you want)

over a year ago

"Yes I do think there is an overuse. But it's not the youngsters that concern me, it's the parents filtering themselves and their children. From a young age children are subconsciously being taught their skin and faces are not good enough, that every blemish and wrinkle must be erased. And what they see in the mirror isn't what their parents put on the wall.

I had photos of my boys done and the photographer removed my eldest chicken pox scar I was furious tbh. What is that teaching him? "

Oh yes! I completely agree with that point. I see lots of kids using them being silly and they like the effects and that's cute.

It's quite concerning when it becomes an obsession and a mask.

over a year ago

Depends on the filter...

Animal filters or ones that totally change your face are silly.

Colour filters or a quick tweak I see no issue with, it makes them a bit different and arty. As long as you still look like you there is no problem

over a year ago

Ban them!!!!

No seriously, what's wrong, you don't have to look or like them but ppl can do what they like if it's not harming others. Threads asking for opinion will simply generate a public opinion, and occasionally the opinion or the squabble that ensues can be quite crippling to ppl who think outside of it....

Stay inclusive ppl...

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Ban them!!!!

No seriously, what's wrong, you don't have to look or like them but ppl can do what they like if it's not harming others. Threads asking for opinion will simply generate a public opinion, and occasionally the opinion or the squabble that ensues can be quite crippling to ppl who think outside of it....

Stay inclusive ppl... "

I don't quite agree with you there, all for adults doing it whatever floats your boat.

But as someone who has body dysmorphia I can see how filters would have completely messed my head up even more when I was younger. I still struggle with it but I dread to think how I'd be in today's society. I can look at photos and see that they are filtered and hate what I see in the mirror as I cannot compare and I a fully grown woman. Just think we should be careful with kids self image

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Tough one. The bunny faces and eye changing ones and all that, I'm not really a fan of and think they're overused.

But photographers have been using filters for years, and lightroom techniques to tweak and edit images.

I think it depends what the images are going to be used for.

Going on a dating site and removing blemishes, thinning your face etc is a bit different to whacking a lighting filter onto an image that you're posting to your social media.

Plus your device itself processes the image and compresses it as jpeg before you even see it so what's wrong with tweaking that processing ?

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

I love using different lighting filters but that's about it. But I don't like to change the truth of the basic image. It's not you anymore then is it?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My pics are just me as i never use filters. What you see is what you get. No point trying to look like something you do not resemble in the flesh.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes I do think there is an overuse. But it's not the youngsters that concern me, it's the parents filtering themselves and their children. From a young age children are subconsciously being taught their skin and faces are not good enough, that every blemish and wrinkle must be erased. And what they see in the mirror isn't what their parents put on the wall.

I had photos of my boys done and the photographer removed my eldest chicken pox scar I was furious tbh. What is that teaching him? "

over a year ago

Snap chat is bloody awful for this especially when men do it X

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

I don't quite agree with you there, all for adults doing it whatever floats your boat.

But as someone who has body dysmorphia I can see how filters would have completely messed my head up even more when I was younger. I still struggle with it but I dread to think how I'd be in today's society. I can look at photos and see that they are filtered and hate what I see in the mirror as I cannot compare and I a fully grown woman. Just think we should be careful with kids self image "

I do hear ya . I think reality is what you see with your eyes, your mind does the rest and we'd do so much better educating ppl to allow difference and inclusion rather than imposing restrictions. For example, ppl are stabbing other folk all over the place lately, but I've always let my daughter use and play with knives, both in the kitchen for food prep and also when we're out fishing and she'll be whittling away carving something beautiful out of an old stick with my fishing knife. Because all things have a useful purpose, not just the bad we fear and are told to fear. I hope that makes sense and that I'm getting my view across and not sounding patronising. I'm shit on text....

over a year ago

"My pics are just me as i never use filters. What you see is what you get. No point trying to look like something you do not resemble in the flesh."
Very sexy pics, nice and natural.

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

But as someone who has body dysmorphia I can see how filters would have completely messed my head up even more when I was younger. I still struggle with it but I dread to think how I'd be in today's society. I can look at photos and see that they are filtered and hate what I see in the mirror as I cannot compare and I a fully grown woman. Just think we should be careful with kids self image

I do hear ya . I think reality is what you see with your eyes, your mind does the rest and we'd do so much better educating ppl to allow difference and inclusion rather than imposing restrictions. For example, ppl are stabbing other folk all over the place lately, but I've always let my daughter use and play with knives, both in the kitchen for food prep and also when we're out fishing and she'll be whittling away carving something beautiful out of an old stick with my fishing knife. Because all things have a useful purpose, not just the bad we fear and are told to fear. I hope that makes sense and that I'm getting my view across and not sounding patronising. I'm shit on text.... "

Oh, and coincidentally we are both using black and white filters too in our avatars. Mine is a simple black and white filter with nothing more, but I think we both look beautiful....

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"My pics are just me as i never use filters. What you see is what you get. No point trying to look like something you do not resemble in the flesh. Very sexy pics, nice and natural. "

Thank you. I know i could make myself look much better if i used filters but then that would not be the real me.

over a year ago

I’m not a fan of airbrushing, I like the little imperfections that make someone human. But I don’t mind when lighting is changed or backgrounds are altered slightly to make the photo stand out a little more. I think it can make a photo look more effective.

But that’s just what I like, I’m not really all that bothered by what other people do with their pictures. If they’re not for me, I’ll pass by

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

I do hear ya . I think reality is what you see with your eyes, your mind does the rest and we'd do so much better educating ppl to allow difference and inclusion rather than imposing restrictions. For example, ppl are stabbing other folk all over the place lately, but I've always let my daughter use and play with knives, both in the kitchen for food prep and also when we're out fishing and she'll be whittling away carving something beautiful out of an old stick with my fishing knife. Because all things have a useful purpose, not just the bad we fear and are told to fear. I hope that makes sense and that I'm getting my view across and not sounding patronising. I'm shit on text.... "

I totally understand where you are coming from. But in reality how many parents are having a conversation about the negatives of filters? I'm not about shielding kids away from the realities of life. That's why I didn't like the photographer airbrushing my eldest chicken pox scar. He's perfect with it, it's what makes him him

over a year ago

This is exactly what I mean!! I am not out to bash ppl for it I just think it’s a bad example to kids!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm certainly still shaking the effects of unrealistic images of beauty, and I grew up with film

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl... "

they bother me on my Facebook when I see 40 year old woman filtering the fuck outta themselves and in reality they would scare rats out of a barn lol

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

I do hear ya . I think reality is what you see with your eyes, your mind does the rest and we'd do so much better educating ppl to allow difference and inclusion rather than imposing restrictions. For example, ppl are stabbing other folk all over the place lately, but I've always let my daughter use and play with knives, both in the kitchen for food prep and also when we're out fishing and she'll be whittling away carving something beautiful out of an old stick with my fishing knife. Because all things have a useful purpose, not just the bad we fear and are told to fear. I hope that makes sense and that I'm getting my view across and not sounding patronising. I'm shit on text....

I totally understand where you are coming from. But in reality how many parents are having a conversation about the negatives of filters? I'm not about shielding kids away from the realities of life. That's why I didn't like the photographer airbrushing my eldest chicken pox scar. He's perfect with it, it's what makes him him "

Yeah I'd be fuming too if someone airbrused a pic of a child without asking me and I certainly wouldn't buy the pic. I talk to my girl all the time openly and she's only just coming up for 11, so I'd like to think that most parents were on the ball. Ppl keep saying we're all adults on fab etc so I reckon adults need to accept the responsibility of parenting, single or otherwise (I'm a single parent too, before I get loads of shit). I'll let her use filters but then I'll explain how that filter could come across to ppl who don't know her and she's pretty cool with it all tbf. Maybe I'm lucky? We do some dead funny stretchy face pics on Snapchat and have lots of giggles, she'll do one of me with big stupid eyes and then tell me I look like an alien.... . Filtered pics are generally pretty obvious and for effect and fun. Airbrushing however is a different thing entirely....

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl... they bother me on my Facebook when I see 40 year old woman filtering the fuck outta themselves and in reality they would scare rats out of a barn lol "

Why would that particular instance bother you though? If she's 40 and happy....

over a year ago

"I love using different lighting filters but that's about it. But I don't like to change the truth of the basic image. It's not you anymore then is it?"
changing lighting is ok! My issue is when silly arse ppl filter out their chubby cheeks and add it 2 m long eyelashes lol

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl... they bother me on my Facebook when I see 40 year old woman filtering the fuck outta themselves and in reality they would scare rats out of a barn lol "

Charming

over a year ago

"I'm certainly still shaking the effects of unrealistic images of beauty, and I grew up with film "

Your public pics have filters too....

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl... they bother me on my Facebook when I see 40 year old woman filtering the fuck outta themselves and in reality they would scare rats out of a barn lol

Why would that particular instance bother you though? If she's 40 and happy.... "

I suppose it bothers me as the person is misrepresenting who they are

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm certainly still shaking the effects of unrealistic images of beauty, and I grew up with film

"

Colour effects only.

over a year ago

"I'm certainly still shaking the effects of unrealistic images of beauty, and I grew up with film

"

colour filters yes

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl... they bother me on my Facebook when I see 40 year old woman filtering the fuck outta themselves and in reality they would scare rats out of a barn lol

Why would that particular instance bother you though? If she's 40 and happy.... I suppose it bothers me as the person is misrepresenting who they are "

But that IS their representation though - are you saying they should change for you in order to be themselves....?

over a year ago

Colour effects only. "

Yeah I know, but we all do it, where's the line...? Does there need to be a line?

over a year ago

I love a good filter but been trying to take pictures without one recently because I sit here an think about when you look back at old pictures filters ain't you, you didn't exactly look Like that wheres the natural you.

But as sometimes I hate my skin or the way I look I put a filter on

over a year ago

Colour effects only.

Yeah I know, but we all do it, where's the line...? Does there need to be a line?"

Don't get me started on makeup, which I think is fine in all its forms....

over a year ago

Colour effects only.

Yeah I know, but we all do it, where's the line...? Does there need to be a line?

Don't get me started on makeup, which I think is fine in all its forms.... "

Or sexy undies, or sunbathing....

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Colour effects only.

Don't get me started on makeup, which I think is fine in all its forms.... "

I've shamelessly stolen this from elsewhere, but if a guy thinks I naturally have sparkly gold eyelids, that's really not my problem.

I think filtering can be harder to distinguish as artificial than in person concealment.

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Why would that particular instance bother you though? If she's 40 and happy.... I suppose it bothers me as the person is misrepresenting who they are

But that IS their representation though - are you saying they should change for you in order to be themselves....? "

but it’s a false representation. Imagine going into a shoe shop and buying a nice pair of shoes for work and getting home to open the box to a pair of Nike air max!

over a year ago

As a photographer, I hate them! They absolutely ruin photos, to the point that the subject becomes unrecognisable... but that might suit some on here.

Professionally, I only retouch what a client requests. Just because I can do it does;t mean I should, or would! Stupid animal filters, adding glasses etc... should stop once you become a teenager and onwards.

Another thing I hate are those child portraits, thankfully look like they've gone out of fashion now, where children were dressed up and covered in makeup. Absolutely disgusting to sexualise children like that, and when relatives had some done and showed them to asking what I thought, the honest response wasn't well received.

I do worry about the effect all these filters have on young people. Very dangerous in my opinion.

over a year ago

"As a photographer, I hate them! They absolutely ruin photos, to the point that the subject becomes unrecognisable... but that might suit some on here.

Professionally, I only retouch what a client requests. Just because I can do it does;t mean I should, or would! Stupid animal filters, adding glasses etc... should stop once you become a teenager and onwards.

Another thing I hate are those child portraits, thankfully look like they've gone out of fashion now, where children were dressed up and covered in makeup. Absolutely disgusting to sexualise children like that, and when relatives had some done and showed them to asking what I thought, the honest response wasn't well received.

I do worry about the effect all these filters have on young people. Very dangerous in my opinion."

Thank you! It’s the effect on kids that I fear. I’ve two girls both below 10 and they know how to filter! It’s scares me

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I don't think makeup is necessarily sexual. I had stage makeup for dance recitals and it was just stuff on my face. I agree it could be done that way, but I don't think most people will think much beyond "cute dress up" seeing a little girl in even fairly stereotypical bombshell makeup.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

I totally understand where you are coming from. But in reality how many parents are having a conversation about the negatives of filters? I'm not about shielding kids away from the realities of life. That's why I didn't like the photographer airbrushing my eldest chicken pox scar. He's perfect with it, it's what makes him him

Yeah I'd be fuming too if someone airbrused a pic of a child without asking me and I certainly wouldn't buy the pic. I talk to my girl all the time openly and she's only just coming up for 11, so I'd like to think that most parents were on the ball. Ppl keep saying we're all adults on fab etc so I reckon adults need to accept the responsibility of parenting, single or otherwise (I'm a single parent too, before I get loads of shit). I'll let her use filters but then I'll explain how that filter could come across to ppl who don't know her and she's pretty cool with it all tbf. Maybe I'm lucky? We do some dead funny stretchy face pics on Snapchat and have lots of giggles, she'll do one of me with big stupid eyes and then tell me I look like an alien.... . Filtered pics are generally pretty obvious and for effect and fun. Airbrushing however is a different thing entirely.... "

Maybe it's just my phone, but I can beautify myself, so it can get rid of my wrinkles, gets rid of the pores on my skin it'll get rid of my rosey cheeks and makes my eyes whiter. There are filters to make your nose more defined and your face slimmer. Filters aren't just the silly ones that make you look like a puppy.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Yes, a lot of women use it when it's best to be natural. Filters just make the picture unnatural.

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

Yeah I'd be fuming too if someone airbrused a pic of a child without asking me and I certainly wouldn't buy the pic. I talk to my girl all the time openly and she's only just coming up for 11, so I'd like to think that most parents were on the ball. Ppl keep saying we're all adults on fab etc so I reckon adults need to accept the responsibility of parenting, single or otherwise (I'm a single parent too, before I get loads of shit). I'll let her use filters but then I'll explain how that filter could come across to ppl who don't know her and she's pretty cool with it all tbf. Maybe I'm lucky? We do some dead funny stretchy face pics on Snapchat and have lots of giggles, she'll do one of me with big stupid eyes and then tell me I look like an alien.... . Filtered pics are generally pretty obvious and for effect and fun. Airbrushing however is a different thing entirely....

Maybe it's just my phone, but I can beautify myself, so it can get rid of my wrinkles, gets rid of the pores on my skin it'll get rid of my rosey cheeks and makes my eyes whiter. There are filters to make your nose more defined and your face slimmer. Filters aren't just the silly ones that make you look like a puppy. "

which are all fine until you meet someone in the flesh

over a year ago

I really dislike filters that change your appearance, usually beyond recognition... It's people using them when they take a picture of their kids... Wtf is that teaching them?! Nobody is good enough as they are anymore??

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

Maybe it's just my phone, but I can beautify myself, so it can get rid of my wrinkles, gets rid of the pores on my skin it'll get rid of my rosey cheeks and makes my eyes whiter. There are filters to make your nose more defined and your face slimmer. Filters aren't just the silly ones that make you look like a puppy. "

That sounds more like photoshop to me than just a filter to make your skin look less sallow

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

Maybe it's just my phone, but I can beautify myself, so it can get rid of my wrinkles, gets rid of the pores on my skin it'll get rid of my rosey cheeks and makes my eyes whiter. There are filters to make your nose more defined and your face slimmer. Filters aren't just the silly ones that make you look like a puppy.

That sounds more like photoshop to me than just a filter to make your skin look less sallow "

maybe I’m wrong in my terminology

over a year ago

Hair dye? Highlights?

over a year ago

What about smiling in face pics when you're not really happy...?

over a year ago

"What about smiling in face pics when you're not really happy...? "

Defo ban that^

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Filters are fine, they’re pretty obvious so don’t expect people to look like that.

In real life I’m in colour, for example.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

That sounds more like photoshop to me than just a filter to make your skin look less sallow "

On my phone it's part of the filters settings and all I need to do is slide a bar.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"What about smiling in face pics when you're not really happy...? "

Smiling what's that I constantly have a resting bitch face

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Stay inclusive ppl...

That sounds more like photoshop to me than just a filter to make your skin look less sallow maybe I’m wrong in my terminology "

Filters are what goes on top of the pic to make it look different ie B&W or silly ears and such like

Photoshopping is changing your appearance by making your nose more defined or removing wrinkles..either way its not advisable if you're actively looking to meet people imo...

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

Why would that particular instance bother you though? If she's 40 and happy.... I suppose it bothers me as the person is misrepresenting who they are

But that IS their representation though - are you saying they should change for you in order to be themselves....? but it’s a false representation. Imagine going into a shoe shop and buying a nice pair of shoes for work and getting home to open the box to a pair of Nike air max! "

Representation is just that though. Did the 40 year old woman ask you to buy shoes or just post her representation of herself happily in ignorance to the fact that you might disapprove....?

I hope it's not jealousy that you see her "getting away with looking beautiful", because that would be ugly....

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

But that IS their representation though - are you saying they should change for you in order to be themselves....? but it’s a false representation. Imagine going into a shoe shop and buying a nice pair of shoes for work and getting home to open the box to a pair of Nike air max!

Representation is just that though. Did the 40 year old woman ask you to buy shoes or just post her representation of herself happily in ignorance to the fact that you might disapprove....?

I hope it's not jealousy that you see her "getting away with looking beautiful", because that would be ugly.... "

Are you trying to

Wind me up lol?

over a year ago

"Ban them!!!!

But that IS their representation though - are you saying they should change for you in order to be themselves....? but it’s a false representation. Imagine going into a shoe shop and buying a nice pair of shoes for work and getting home to open the box to a pair of Nike air max!

I hope it's not jealousy that you see her "getting away with looking beautiful", because that would be ugly.... Are you trying to

Wind me up lol? "

Not at all my love, just trying to get you to look a little deeper. Sorry if it came across that way....

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

My sons first nursery photo they had him take his glasses off! Was not happy!

over a year ago

I had photos of my boys done and the photographer removed my eldest chicken pox scar I was furious tbh. What is that teaching him?

My sons first nursery photo they had him take his glasses off! Was not happy!"

I can see how this would offend you

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

My sons first nursery photo they had him take his glasses off! Was not happy! I can see how this would offend you "

My boy told me when he got home. As the photographer was at a nearby school few days later I made he come back and re do it and pointed out the error of his ways.

over a year ago

"My sons first nursery photo they had him take his glasses off! Was not happy!"

Dumb school photographer probably couldn't cope with reflections from the glasses!

Post new Message to Thread