Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Coming out parties - Should they exist?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So something to ponder over your morning cup of tea or coffee, but should coming out parties continue to exist?

I understand that given the history of gay rights and the fight to get gay people recognised as a “normal” part of society that people will want to celebrate “coming out” but as society changes and being gay is seen as normal should people who identify as gay still have coming out parties? Do straight people have straight parties? My own person opinion is that they shouldn’t, it should be accepted as being the norm from when they understand who they are and identify as gay as it would a straight person. Thoughts people??

Ps this isn’t meant to offend anyone just spark a healthy debate.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *wosmilersCouple
over a year ago

Heathrowish

Surely the theme of a party is up to those holding and attending? If you are invited, you have two choices....attend or not.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

People have different experiences in their journey and if someone, anyone wants to celebrate 'finding' themselves or just being fabulous I'd raise a glass.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As long as its not a baby gender reveal party, all is good. They make me cringe.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

It's a free society. If they want to do so I don't see why they shouldn't. They're not harming anyone and doing their own thing.

over a year ago

I didn’t even know this was a thing.

Coming out as bi was massive for me. Same with telling the people close to me I wanted to transition.

I’ve not had any parties to reveal or celebrate..... yet.

over a year ago

Sadly, being gay isn’t seen as normal by a lot of people.

Should they exist? Sure, they aren’t harming anyone.

over a year ago

I guess if its important to them, then why not?

People get enjoyment from announcing they're expecting a child, becoming grandparents, getting married, retiring etc, so this is no exception.

But like every announcement, don't assume that everyone else has to be as interested as you are or it becomes a little too self indulgent?

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

They should exist as long as homophobia exists.

So, yes.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"So something to ponder over your morning cup of tea or coffee, but should coming out parties continue to exist?

I understand that given the history of gay rights and the fight to get gay people recognised as a “normal” part of society that people will want to celebrate “coming out” but as society changes and being gay is seen as normal should people who identify as gay still have coming out parties? Do straight people have straight parties? My own person opinion is that they shouldn’t, it should be accepted as being the norm from when they understand who they are and identify as gay as it would a straight person. Thoughts people??

Ps this isn’t meant to offend anyone just spark a healthy debate. "

This sounds a lot like a straight person telling gays how they should feel and behave.

It’s not really my story to tell, but if you think that being gay isn’t enormously difficult for some people, you’re very wrong.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"So something to ponder over your morning cup of tea or coffee, but should coming out parties continue to exist?

Ps this isn’t meant to offend anyone just spark a healthy debate.

This sounds a lot like a straight person telling gays how they should feel and behave.

It’s not really my story to tell, but if you think that being gay isn’t enormously difficult for some people, you’re very wrong."

No simply finding out if coming out parties still exist or whether people think they should with gay people being more accepted on society.

over a year ago

Yes they should but during the lockdown period no parties or mass gatherings should take place.

over a year ago

If that's what people want to do then yes. There's many reasons people have a party and if one of them is to celebrate coming out then why not? I'd go if one of my friends invited me to one because it's important to them and that's all that matters.

over a year ago

Yep, any reason for a celebration is fine by me. You have something to celebrate, then go for it.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Absolutely. This shit is hard. Not as hard as it was, but still hard.

And, party. Celebrating with friends. What's not to like?

over a year ago

I've never heard of anyone having a coming out party. I find it really odd- straight people don't "admit" they are straight.

I wish 'coming out' wasn't a thing anymore.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've never heard of anyone having a coming out party. I find it really odd- straight people don't "admit" they are straight.

I wish 'coming out' wasn't a thing anymore. "

Straight people get the benefit of being the default. That comes with enormous benefits that those outside the default are still fighting for.

Coming out will stop being a thing when it stops needing to be a thing.

over a year ago

I don't think the party would ve about societal acceptance, more the person 'finding themself'and wanting to celebrate that with loved ones.

I think in general the more parties we have, and the more we feel life should be celebrated, the better

over a year ago

why not im all for people expressing themselves as long as they not hurting anyone if you get invited and dont want to go fine

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Any excuse for a party. It's good to party. Live and let live.

Less sure about being asked for gifts though. Is that what baby showers are fore ?

Post new Message to Thread