Back to The Lounge

Stonehenge

Jump to newest

By *icecouple561 OP   Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-53132567

What do you make of the most recent discovery of 20 plus, 15 meter deep shafts near Stonehenge? How on earth did Neolithic people achieve that?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-53132567

What do you make of the most recent discovery of 20 plus, 15 meter deep shafts near Stonehenge? How on earth did Neolithic people achieve that?"

Slave labour?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

What do you make of the most recent discovery of 20 plus, 15 meter deep shafts near Stonehenge? How on earth did Neolithic people achieve that?

Slave labour?"

Taking a chance there!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Slave labour?"

I genuinely don't know. It's one possibility.

over a year ago

It does begger belief. I always thought stonehenge was a bit of a disappointment, but when you look at the stones you realise how amazing it is that it was ever built.

Some of the cromlechs elsewhere must have taken ingenuity. All without mechanical powered machines as far as I'm aware.

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Fascinating stuff. I guess they had pretty capable engineers... they managed to build stonehenge itself after all.

over a year ago

Slave labour?

Taking a chance there! "

I like to live on the edge

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" It does begger belief. I always thought stonehenge was a bit of a disappointment, but when you look at the stones you realise how amazing it is that it was ever built.

Some of the cromlechs elsewhere must have taken ingenuity. All without mechanical powered machines as far as I'm aware."

I've seen various theories ranging from intervention by aliens to ropes, pulleys and a series of platforms.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Fascinating stuff. I guess they had pretty capable engineers... they managed to build stonehenge itself after all."

I don't doubt they were capable engineers and astronomers . It's the sheer achievement that impresses me, especially when it takes six weeks to get someone to put a shed up nowadays

over a year ago

So that’s where Prometheus was buried

over a year ago

"So that’s where Prometheus was buried "

If you have seen the film, I mean the ship that comes out of the ground.

The circle looks like a flying saucer.

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Fascinating stuff. I guess they had pretty capable engineers... they managed to build stonehenge itself after all.

I don't doubt they were capable engineers and astronomers . It's the sheer achievement that impresses me, especially when it takes six weeks to get someone to put a shed up nowadays "

I put up a shed with my brother once in terrible weather. Got a little fraught - we didn't speak to each other for about a fortnight afterwards. If we'd had stone age clubs and weapons on hand then I daresay one of us may not have survived so I agree - the achievement is ridiculously impressive!

By *untimes11Man
over a year ago

cardiff

It's not the first time the've found shafts.

They found the same when they were digging to build the car park. Not sure if it's in the same place now, but there were white circles in the car park to mark where they were.

over a year ago

They lashed up Stonehenge to take folks attention away from the more important business of digging those holes. And it worked for thousands of years. We were blissfully unaware. Which us why we gave only just discovered them.

Even today if I meet someone who is that involved in digging I am going to be in awe, in their presence.

By *anni and RicCouple
over a year ago

York

Most of the people on here are looking for shafts lol x

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

They probably used shovels to dig the holes

*courtesy of the useless information department*

over a year ago

Religion has always inspired great endeavour. Interesting to note, however - virtually all of what you see now at the stonehenge site was reconstructed between 1901 - 1964 with all the uprights embedded in concrete. A lot of the earlier reconstruction work was guesswork due to lack of plans or descriptions of the original layout.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So that’s where Prometheus was buried

The circle looks like a flying saucer."

Mr N said exactly the same thing!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Fascinating stuff. I guess they had pretty capable engineers... they managed to build stonehenge itself after all.

I don't doubt they were capable engineers and astronomers . It's the sheer achievement that impresses me, especially when it takes six weeks to get someone to put a shed up nowadays

I put up a shed with my brother once in terrible weather. Got a little fraught - we didn't speak to each other for about a fortnight afterwards. If we'd had stone age clubs and weapons on hand then I daresay one of us may not have survived so I agree - the achievement is ridiculously impressive! "

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It's not the first time the've found shafts.

They found the same when they were digging to build the car park. Not sure if it's in the same place now, but there were white circles in the car park to mark where they were."

I didn't know that

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Religion has always inspired great endeavour. Interesting to note, however - virtually all of what you see now at the stonehenge site was reconstructed between 1901 - 1964 with all the uprights embedded in concrete. A lot of the earlier reconstruction work was guesswork due to lack of plans or descriptions of the original layout."

True.

you'd think those darn neolithics would have left a plan somewhere

over a year ago

"Religion has always inspired great endeavour. Interesting to note, however - virtually all of what you see now at the stonehenge site was reconstructed between 1901 - 1964 with all the uprights embedded in concrete. A lot of the earlier reconstruction work was guesswork due to lack of plans or descriptions of the original layout.

True.

you'd think those darn neolithics would have left a plan somewhere "

At least a digital image or two would have been nice

over a year ago

"Religion has always inspired great endeavour. Interesting to note, however - virtually all of what you see now at the stonehenge site was reconstructed between 1901 - 1964 with all the uprights embedded in concrete. A lot of the earlier reconstruction work was guesswork due to lack of plans or descriptions of the original layout.

True.

At least a digital image or two would have been nice "

Its on the bottom. Just like cooking instructions, its always on the inside of the packaging!!

over a year ago

I think it's just a ploy to prevent the building of a tunnel to bypass Stonehenge and stop the accidents and traffic build up.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

What do you make of the most recent discovery of 20 plus, 15 meter deep shafts near Stonehenge? How on earth did Neolithic people achieve that?"

Thay got a man with a digger in

or Aliens

By *ovespudsMan
over a year ago

Swindon

Isambard Kingdom Brunel in a previous life.

over a year ago

I imagine Prince Phillip will probably remember how they did it. Someone should just ask him

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

They didn't God did it or aliens

Or absolutely any other suggestion other than the humans at the time had most certainly evolved enough to have a very resourceful mind and communication x

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

Slave labour?

I genuinely don't know. It's one possibility. "

It’s certainly one of the options. Alternatively some sort of ‘social enterprise’ where large numbers of people were motivated to put in a lot of work in the hope and expectation of some kind of reward. Whether that might be in their lifetime of or on the other side is unknown.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

True.

At least a digital image or two would have been nice

Its on the bottom. Just like cooking instructions, its always on the inside of the packaging!!"

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

They didn't God did it or aliens

Or absolutely any other suggestion other than the humans at the time had most certainly evolved enough to have a very resourceful mind and communication x"

Lol yes. I think we fail to realise that neolithic people were just like us but without the Internet. They were just as thoughtful, intelligent and resourceful and had the time to carry out labour intensive tasks

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Slave labour?

I genuinely don't know. It's one possibility.

It’s certainly one of the options. Alternatively some sort of ‘social enterprise’ where large numbers of people were motivated to put in a lot of work in the hope and expectation of some kind of reward. Whether that might be in their lifetime of or on the other side is unknown."

That's what makes it endlessly fascinating to me. We just do not know

By *untimes11Man
over a year ago

cardiff

They found the same when they were digging to build the car park. Not sure if it's in the same place now, but there were white circles in the car park to mark where they were.

I didn't know that "

The whole area is filled with things that archeologists have no idea what they were used for.

I did a tour of the area with a guide a few years ago.

It's a fascinating place. I keep meaning to go back there but haven't got round making time for it.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

It could have been foxes, they dig holes

By *icplshropsCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Neolithic humans would have used antler picks and not built by aliens. I still recall my lecturer telling us that we won’t find aliens in ancient history, thus making all my Eric van Daniken books redundant.

There are other innovative Neolithic sites, such as Grimes Graves. A field full of Neolithic flint mines, multiple shafts dug to extract valuable and rare black flints. The great mystery is how it was discovered and by who? When you could have just as easily pick up ordinary flint off the surface.

J

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I didn't know that

The whole area is filled with things that archeologists have no idea what they were used for.

I did a tour of the area with a guide a few years ago.

It's a fascinating place. I keep meaning to go back there but haven't got round making time for it.

"

It is fascinating

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It could have been foxes, they dig holes "

I think you've cracked it Ace!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Neolithic humans would have used antler picks and not built by aliens. I still recall my lecturer telling us that we won’t find aliens in ancient history, thus making all my Eric van Daniken books redundant.

There are other innovative Neolithic sites, such as Grimes Graves. A field full of Neolithic flint mines, multiple shafts dug to extract valuable and rare black flints. The great mystery is how it was discovered and by who? When you could have just as easily pick up ordinary flint off the surface.

J"

I don't think its aliens either

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

A JCB

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"A JCB "

that'll be it.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"It could have been foxes, they dig holes

I think you've cracked it Ace!"

I'm not just a pretty face ya know

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It is much smaller than I imagined and really disappointing imo..

It was a pile of higgledy piggldy stones until the army put them back were they guessed they stood..

Most foreign visitors leave disappointed

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It is much smaller than I imagined and really disappointing imo..

It was a pile of higgledy piggldy stones until the army put them back were they guessed they stood..

Most foreign visitors leave disappointed

"

Fair enough, you don't have to be interested in it or the archaeology connected with it

over a year ago

Oh this would make for a 2nd tin foil hat conversation I've heard today

Aliens, if in doubt blame aliens

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not sure it's great construction..it's like what children make out of building blocks..it was probably no more than a rich merchants house with a thatched roof long since gone

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Oh this would make for a 2nd tin foil hat conversation I've heard today

Aliens, if in doubt blame aliens "

I genuinely hoped for some realistic suggestions, its a subject I find endlessly fascinating.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Not sure it's great construction..it's like what children make out of building blocks..it was probably no more than a rich merchants house with a thatched roof long since gone"

its one theory Tom

over a year ago

I genuinely hoped for some realistic suggestions, its a subject I find endlessly fascinating."

Have you researched the pyramids or Machu Picchu?

I honestly don't know. If the weight of some of the stones is accurate no amount of people could move such heavy loads.

But I imagine tunnels can be dug, give me a sec to view the article

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Not sure it's great construction..it's like what children make out of building blocks..it was probably no more than a rich merchants house with a thatched roof long since gone

its one theory Tom"

I saw a programme on it...

Most logical explanation

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I genuinely hoped for some realistic suggestions, its a subject I find endlessly fascinating.

I honestly don't know. If the weight of some of the stones is accurate no amount of people could move such heavy loads.

But I imagine tunnels can be dug, give me a sec to view the article "

I haven't researched the pyramids or Machu Pichu.

Could the stones have been lifted by a system of pulleys or levers?

over a year ago

Could the stones have been lifted by a system of pulleys or levers?"

From the article it says that the pits were probably dug out using stone tools.

As for pyramid stones, I have no idea how they lifted 2500kg+ stones to a height of over 140m.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As for pyramid stones, I have no idea how they lifted 2500kg+ stones to a height of over 140m."

we guessed that it was a combination of stone tools and intensive labour.

I have no other suggestions for how the pyramids were built, it's imponderable really.

The question of how and why farming began and spread is something that intrigues me too.

over a year ago

As for pyramid stones, I have no idea how they lifted 2500kg+ stones to a height of over 140m.

I have no other suggestions for how the pyramids were built, it's imponderable really.

The question of how and why farming began and spread is something that intrigues me too. "

Well when it comes to farming I can tell you Svalbard is where it's at .

There is no evidence of using levers or pulleys but even then the theoretical sketches of how they used levers makes no sense. Using a giant log of sorts to use as to pull the stones up. How could the log withstand such weight

over a year ago

The question of how and why farming began and spread is something that intrigues me too. "

The pyramids were built during the bronze age, so hardened bronze tools would have been used to dress the stone. To remove stone blocks from the bedrock they built fires over natural fault lines, heated the stone and then poured cold water on them to free the rock. The most logical engineering hypotheses I have seen suggest that to lift the blocks they used ramps initially, then counter weights and ropes over the ongoing structure.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

The question of how and why farming began and spread is something that intrigues me too.

There is no evidence of using levers or pulleys but even then the theoretical sketches of how they used levers makes no sense. Using a giant log of sorts to use as to pull the stones up. How could the log withstand such weight "

I'll have a look at Svalbard tomorrow. I was thinking more of why people decided to stay in one place and raise crops in a far more labour intensive way than hunter gathering, the social and cultural implications of that etc.

I'm all out of ideas for the pyramids.

Aliens?

over a year ago

"

There is no evidence of using levers or pulleys but even then the theoretical sketches of how they used levers makes no sense. Using a giant log of sorts to use as to pull the stones up. How could the log withstand such weight

I'll have a look at Svalbard tomorrow. I was thinking more of why people decided to stay in one place and raise crops in a far more labour intensive way than hunter gathering, the social and cultural implications of that etc.

Aliens? "

I imagine it's because farming was sustainable and reliable. The population started to increase dramatically and gathering and hunting probably wasn't feasable to keep so many people fed.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Aliens?

I imagine it's because farming was sustainable and reliable. The population started to increase dramatically and gathering and hunting probably wasn't feasable to keep so many people fed."

But it wasn't sustainable or reliable. One drought or plague of locusts and you and your family starved. It was way more labour intensive too

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

True.

At least a digital image or two would have been nice "

They did, but the media has gone obsolete and no-one has the right playback software any more. Let's face it, if you've got data on 8 inch floppy disks you're buggered, and they are only 35 years old. When you've got a bunch of 18 foot monolith solid state drives that are 4000 years old, even if you can figure out the right voltage and power cable needed, you're never going to be able to find the right codec package...

over a year ago

"

Aliens?

I imagine it's because farming was sustainable and reliable. The population started to increase dramatically and gathering and hunting probably wasn't feasable to keep so many people fed.

But it wasn't sustainable or reliable. One drought or plague of locusts and you and your family starved. It was way more labour intensive too"

Yucca

Labour was all they had back then, so I imagine it wasn't a problem

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"

Aliens?

But it wasn't sustainable or reliable. One drought or plague of locusts and you and your family starved. It was way more labour intensive too"

Actually, once the techniques were learned for selecting and domesticating the particular species of plants and animals that we can eat, along with methods for preserving and storing surplus food for seasons rather than just days, the farming lifestyle became far more reliable and sustainable than the hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

Ref. "Guns, Germs and Steel - A Short History of Everybody For the Last 13,000 Years", by Jared Diamond (ISBN 0 09 930278 0), page 88. "By selecting and growing those few species of plants and animals that we can eat, so that they constitute 90% rather than 0.1% of the biomass on an acre of land, we obtain far more edible calories per acre. As a result, one acre can feed many more herders and farmers - typically 10 to 100 times more - than hunter-gatherers. That strength of brute numbers was the first of many military advantages that food producing tribes gained over hunter-gatherer tribes".

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Amazing things are possible when people work together, especially when sustained over many years.

It was highly organised and presumably of central importance to the lives of many people there.

over a year ago

I think it would have been easy enough to dig the shafts. They just create a stairway as they dig down.

But they would fill with water. Which might be why they did it. For obvious usage.

They would have needed more than one water supply. If the central area was basically a town, the wells were in a circle around it.

The accuracy of the circle was probably because they could measure and it was simply a habit to be consistent, and it settled argument about it.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"There are other innovative Neolithic sites, such as Grimes Graves. A field full of Neolithic flint mines, multiple shafts dug to extract valuable and rare black flints. The great mystery is how it was discovered and by who? When you could have just as easily pick up ordinary flint off the surface.

J"

I think you’ve answered your own question. Once people Realised they needed more flint than they found casually and noticed they picked up most flint in a certain location, they probably had an exploratory dig to see if there was more further down. The rest is prehistory.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"I think it would have been easy enough to dig the shafts. They just create a stairway as they dig down.

But they would fill with water. Which might be why they did it. For obvious usage.

They would have needed more than one water supply. If the central area was basically a town, the wells were in a circle around it.

The accuracy of the circle was probably because they could measure and it was simply a habit to be consistent, and it settled argument about it.

"

The chalk downs of Salisbury Plain are pretty well drained, and there’s not much evidence for actual occupation of the area at the time, just lots (and lots) of symbolic structures.

over a year ago

But why the approximate circle?

over a year ago

"Most of the people on here are looking for shafts lol x"

This

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"But why the approximate circle?"

Probably because it’s pretty tricky to be more accurate over such a large distance without more modern survey kit and techniques.

over a year ago

You ever tried drawing one freehand?

over a year ago

"But why the approximate circle?"

That was just the shape of the spaceship that landed there

over a year ago

"But why the approximate circle?

That was just the shape of the spaceship that landed there "

I know. The aliens drank mead. They used the flints to perform organ removals on the abducted.

over a year ago

The whole place boggles my mind.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The outer circle was probably the base to anchor massive tent something like the 02..

Inside there would have been food outlets, shops and shelter...

over a year ago

"So that’s where Prometheus was buried

The circle looks like a flying saucer."

Totally got that!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Aliens?

But it wasn't sustainable or reliable. One drought or plague of locusts and you and your family starved. It was way more labour intensive too

Actually, once the techniques were learned for selecting and domesticating the particular species of plants and animals that we can eat, along with methods for preserving and storing surplus food for seasons rather than just days, the farming lifestyle became far more reliable and sustainable than the hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

Ref. "Guns, Germs and Steel - A Short History of Everybody For the Last 13,000 Years", by Jared Diamond (ISBN 0 09 930278 0), page 88. "By selecting and growing those few species of plants and animals that we can eat, so that they constitute 90% rather than 0.1% of the biomass on an acre of land, we obtain far more edible calories per acre. As a result, one acre can feed many more herders and farmers - typically 10 to 100 times more - than hunter-gatherers. That strength of brute numbers was the first of many military advantages that food producing tribes gained over hunter-gatherer tribes". "

So farming was to gain advantage over other tribes?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The whole place boggles my mind. "

Mine too!

over a year ago

So assuming they got water from the river, they weren't needed as wells. And not deep enough anyway.

They seem to be on the east and west. Possibly, By digging the pits they would clear any trees and create points at which to measure the sun?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So assuming they got water from the river, they weren't needed as wells. And not deep enough anyway.

They seem to be on the east and west. Possibly, By digging the pits they would clear any trees and create points at which to measure the sun?

"

I can't imagine they'd need more than 20 wells fairly evenly spaced anyway.

We can only guess why they dug them.

over a year ago

That's true. We wouldn't be thinking the way they did.

I looked on an ordnance survey maps. The pits are in a cluster to the NNE and the others at SSW. As Stonehenge is due west from durrington.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"

Aliens?

Ref. "Guns, Germs and Steel - A Short History of Everybody For the Last 13,000 Years", by Jared Diamond (ISBN 0 09 930278 0), page 88. "By selecting and growing those few species of plants and animals that we can eat, so that they constitute 90% rather than 0.1% of the biomass on an acre of land, we obtain far more edible calories per acre. As a result, one acre can feed many more herders and farmers - typically 10 to 100 times more - than hunter-gatherers. That strength of brute numbers was the first of many military advantages that food producing tribes gained over hunter-gatherer tribes".

So farming was to gain advantage over other tribes?"

It wasn't specifically just to gain advantage, but that was certainly one of the bonuses from it. Farming caught on because basically it's just an easier way of living than hunter-gathering.

With hunting & gathering a tribe has to be permanently on the move because there isn't enough game and food plants in one area to feed more than a small number of people. The tribe then cannot easily build up a food surplus because they have to carry everything around with them.

With farming, instead of the tribe having to keep looking new places for food, they grow/breed more in their own locality than they used to be able to find by continually moving. And it uses a lot less energy to breed chickens in your own back yard than it does to run after them in the wild.

There is still the danger that bad weather can cause crop failures, but because the tribe is stationary they can store wheat and dry out meat, so they have a reserve. Also, because at that time the population was much smaller, tribes could choose to live at good locations - temperate climates, riverside areas with fertile soil etc. It's only as populations grew - being able to by now having enough food - that some were forced into less favourable locations. Which then led to conflict between tribes, wars etc. On the whole though, more would live than die and humanities take over of the planet commenced...

By *ymguy1966Man
over a year ago

Port Talbot

Slave labour?

Taking a chance there! "

Not really, we were all slaves at one point in history, no matter your colour

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not that difficult a feat of engineering...

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The stones were put up by the British Army ffs

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Aliens?

So farming was to gain advantage over other tribes?

It wasn't specifically just to gain advantage, but that was certainly one of the bonuses from it. Farming caught on because basically it's just an easier way of living than hunter-gathering.

With hunting & gathering a tribe has to be permanently on the move because there isn't enough game and food plants in one area to feed more than a small number of people. The tribe then cannot easily build up a food surplus because they have to carry everything around with them.

With farming, instead of the tribe having to keep looking new places for food, they grow/breed more in their own locality than they used to be able to find by continually moving. And it uses a lot less energy to breed chickens in your own back yard than it does to run after them in the wild.

There is still the danger that bad weather can cause crop failures, but because the tribe is stationary they can store wheat and dry out meat, so they have a reserve. Also, because at that time the population was much smaller, tribes could choose to live at good locations - temperate climates, riverside areas with fertile soil etc. It's only as populations grew - being able to by now having enough food - that some were forced into less favourable locations. Which then led to conflict between tribes, wars etc. On the whole though, more would live than die and humanities take over of the planet commenced..."

I think you'd probably have less time as a farmer. A hunter gatherer just gets enough food for that day then rests. Growing crops needs a lot of work as does keeping animals. Gathering food that grows wild and hunting animals just requires you to move to where they are.

I think possibly that the social advantages of staying in one place appeared higher than those accrued from moving around. There was also the possibility of using any surplus as a bargaining chip.

By *agicfingerslovelyMan
over a year ago

Rugby

Used rounded tree trunks as rollers, type of rope and used animals likely Oxen to pull. Some suggestion they used waterways as well with a raft type thing latched together.

Post new Message to Thread