Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Reliability

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Of domestic white goods !

Bit boring but my cooker apart from a couple of heating elements for the oven has lasted well over 15 years and is going strong.

American fridge freezer eventually died but did ok replaced it with a brand I didn't know as research showed a big expensive brand actually made them and it had a long warranty.

But the Bosch washing machine seems to be like triggers broom in that it's great that it's ten years old but it's had 6 heads and 7 new handles

At what point do you stop repairing and go for a new one, has anyone got a recommendation for a washing machine that lasts (I guess every brand has rogue machines) that is in the £400 ish range

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We always buy the cheapest available when it comes to washing machines. None of the darn things last more than about five years and we only use two maybe three settings

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"We always buy the cheapest available when it comes to washing machines. None of the darn things last more than about five years and we only use two maybe three settings"

I think you might be spot on, it's interesting when you look at who makes some of the cheaper brands.

It does seem to be the least reliable machine in the house

Decades ago I went to the Far East to a factory(not white goods) and power tools were coming off the line and then being packaged into different manufacturers boxes.

By *luebellRacerCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

Lol, not something I thought I'd be discussing on Fab, but we've had our indesit washing machine for over 8 years now.

Weighs washing and adjusts water accordingly. Wasn't more than £400 for 9kg machine!

When our tumble drier broke, replaced that with indesit too

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We always buy the cheapest available when it comes to washing machines. None of the darn things last more than about five years and we only use two maybe three settings

I think you might be spot on, it's interesting when you look at who makes some of the cheaper brands.

It does seem to be the least reliable machine in the house

Decades ago I went to the Far East to a factory(not white goods) and power tools were coming off the line and then being packaged into different manufacturers boxes."

It's almost funny to think we could be paying hundreds of pounds for a logo.

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

Same with a washing machine cheapest one going they last just aslong as a expensive one my cooker I payed alot for it had it around 10 years still going strong lol

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

It's almost funny to think we could be paying hundreds of pounds for a logo. "

People do with trainers

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Had my no frills beko washing machine for over 7 yrs and its still going strong

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

It's almost funny to think we could be paying hundreds of pounds for a logo.

People do with trainers"

They do and "sports" wear.

over a year ago

We're forever buying toasters and kettles in the charity shops, no matter the quality they all seem to last about 18 months and that's it

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Had my no frills beko washing machine for over 7 yrs and its still going strong "

Was just googling beko as we speak, very interesting.

I'm going to avoid one with all the settings and 1001 programmes I think.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"We're forever buying toasters and kettles in the charity shops, no matter the quality they all seem to last about 18 months and that's it"

It does make you wonder whether they are designed to last a set period of hours usage

over a year ago

Not too arsed by brand name of white goods, most are made from same sourced conponents. Think most of my stuff is beko

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"Had my no frills beko washing machine for over 7 yrs and its still going strong

I'm going to avoid one with all the settings and 1001 programmes I think."

Boko are pretty good. Should it break down spares are cheap and accessible

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Had my no frills beko washing machine for over 7 yrs and its still going strong

Boko are pretty good. Should it break down spares are cheap and accessible "

I'll look into that brand a bit more, it might just do for now.

Could repair mine and it last years or fix it and have something else go

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Boko are pretty good. Should it break down spares are cheap and accessible

I'll look into that brand a bit more, it might just do for now.

Could repair mine and it last years or fix it and have something else go "

We sell spares if you need any pm me..I may be able to help

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"We're forever buying toasters and kettles in the charity shops, no matter the quality they all seem to last about 18 months and that's it

It does make you wonder whether they are designed to last a set period of hours usage "

They are, it's called "built in obsolescence "....back in the day white goods were built to last, people saved up and/or got them for wedding presents and they were expected to last a lifetime.

Now the same goods are slightly cheaper but they are built with a limited life, so people have to replace them more often.

All about getting the cash out of your pocket.

Same with extended warranties.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

We’ve just had a new washing machine as the last one was around 18 years old and yes it was a bit of a Trigger’s Broom we ended up with a Zanussi 8kg load and easy use programmes (so as not to confuse me mam ) and only cost £299

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

"We always buy the cheapest available when it comes to washing machines. None of the darn things last more than about five years and we only use two maybe three settings"

Same here. Not much of my clothing gets caked in mud...maybe I should take up mud wrestling!

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"We’ve just had a new washing machine as the last one was around 18 years old and yes it was a bit of a Trigger’s Broom we ended up with a Zanussi 8kg load and easy use programmes (so as not to confuse me mam ) and only cost £299 "

I can't work out if some brands are better or if they all have the odd rogue duff washing machine that I always get

I

over a year ago

"Of domestic white goods !

Bit boring but my cooker apart from a couple of heating elements for the oven has lasted well over 15 years and is going strong.

American fridge freezer eventually died but did ok replaced it with a brand I didn't know as research showed a big expensive brand actually made them and it had a long warranty.

But the Bosch washing machine seems to be like triggers broom in that it's great that it's ten years old but it's had 6 heads and 7 new handles

At what point do you stop repairing and go for a new one, has anyone got a recommendation for a washing machine that lasts (I guess every brand has rogue machines) that is in the £400 ish range

"

Hotpoint Aquarius - washing/drying machine, I've had 8 years. Two call outs it's had, both were my fault. Overloading and a fluffy red nose off a jumper stuck in the filter.

Its been the best machine ever!!!

over a year ago

DO NOT BUY BEKO !!

bought a washing machine dryer that 15 months later stopped working , out of Argos warrenty so got a local engineer who couldn't get the parts after the first attempt was wrong parts sent from BEKO.

Ended up selling the useless thing as faulty but a 15 month old thing shouldn't break down and then not be able to supply parts ...AVOID

over a year ago

"DO NOT BUY BEKO !!

bought a washing machine dryer that 15 months later stopped working , out of Argos warrenty so got a local engineer who couldn't get the parts after the first attempt was wrong parts sent from BEKO.

Ended up selling the useless thing as faulty but a 15 month old thing shouldn't break down and then not be able to supply parts ...AVOID "

I got my beko washing machine from AO.com ..2 yr warranty and now on extended warranty.. never had a break down in 7 yrs

over a year ago

"

Hotpoint Aquarius - washing/drying machine, I've had 8 years. Two call outs it's had, both were my fault. Overloading and a fluffy red nose off a jumper stuck in the filter.

Its been the best machine ever!!! "

I love my machine when I had one of these - defo buy again ( I am in rented accom so using the installed machine atm)

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"We’ve just had a new washing machine as the last one was around 18 years old and yes it was a bit of a Trigger’s Broom we ended up with a Zanussi 8kg load and easy use programmes (so as not to confuse me mam ) and only cost £299

I can't work out if some brands are better or if they all have the odd rogue duff washing machine that I always get

I

"

There is bound to be one bad one somewhere in the batch and unfortunately that naughty one ends up in our kitchens

over a year ago

"DO NOT BUY BEKO !!

Ended up selling the useless thing as faulty but a 15 month old thing shouldn't break down and then not be able to supply parts ...AVOID

I got my beko washing machine from AO.com ..2 yr warranty and now on extended warranty.. never had a break down in 7 yrs"

No one likes a showoff

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

"Of domestic white goods !

"

I have a Hoover washing machine which dies once a year. It's always the same fault. It's fine now as I know exactly what to do. It's just a shit design.

They but the control PCB over the seal of the door after a year, it gets corroded. The solution is the laminate the PCB or at least put a cover over it... But that would cost the company an extra 2p per washing machine. That's way too expensive. Ha!

over a year ago

"DO NOT BUY BEKO !!

Ended up selling the useless thing as faulty but a 15 month old thing shouldn't break down and then not be able to supply parts ...AVOID "

We have a few Beko white goods, all work well, last well, good price.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Found one with a 5 year parts and labour warranty for £336 so if I can't fix mine I think I'll go for it.

Going to try to find a discount code, I occasionally but not always get lucky with these.

Accidentaly assist the most expensive part in breaking after 4 years and 364 days new part under warranty and jobs a good un

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I remember buying a video recorder either 1999 or 2000. It cost £69,so the guy in Comet was trying to get me to buy the insurance for it. I said it’s got 12 months if it breaks down I’ll just buy another.

It’s still working 20 years later

Post new Message to Thread