Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Politically correct police

Jump to newest

By *acko9568 OP   Man
over a year ago

saltburn

Story in today’s paper: the police in Herts were looking for a sex attacker. What they didn’t release was the fact that the offender was wearing female clothing, for fear of offending the LGBT community.

Whilst I agree that their rights have been hard fought for, surely the police have a duty to protect the wider population? Also, had that information been made public, would not the community be better armed against any possible future transgressions?

IMHO

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Huh.....?

over a year ago

If they released that the attacker was wearing women’s clothing, he’d stop wearing women’s clothing.

People would only be looking out for an attacker in women’s clothing.

It’s like if attackers have a ‘type’ i.e 5’2, blonde, blue eyes etc. You’d tell everyone to look out, not just those who fit their type.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Having just read the article in question it's a typical Daily Fail report that both sensationalises and acts outraged while burying the detail at the bottom of the page.

They had already made an arrest without the need to ask for witnesses, the victim had also been concerned about any media coverage of the incident and how it would reflect on him.

So this was absolutely nothing to do with the police covering things up for fear of offending the trans community at all - what appears to have been pounced on was that the police (rightly IMHO) asked for any reporting of the incident to be handled sensitively to avoid backlash against the trans community - which is completely different from what the sensationalist headline and start of the article, and your OP is suggesting

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I agree that what an attacker was wearing is relevant. Normally they will say "the attacker was wearing a dark hoodie and dark trousers" for instance. I don't see any difference in stating something similar. There might be other reasons that they haven't said though

over a year ago

If the press release stated that the offender was a member of the LGBT community, what were the public looking for? Would it have clarified anything, and perhaps done more harm than good by inciting animosity to innocent people?

Its not being politically correct in the derogatory sense, its being politically sensitive to all?

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

It's also worth noting that the Fair Cop group whose accusations seem to form the basis of the article in the Daily Fail appear to be a fairly militant group with a focus on trans issues, so perhaps aren't the best to be used as the basis of a story.

This from their "about" page:

"If you’ve been contacted by the police for expressing criticism of transgender activism or if you agree with us that the authorities should follow the law of the land, get in touch and find out how you can help ensure that policing is fair for us all."

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" If the press release stated that the offender was a member of the LGBT community, what were the public looking for? Would it have clarified anything, and perhaps done more harm than good by inciting animosity to innocent people?

Its not being politically correct in the derogatory sense, its being politically sensitive to all?"

After reading Gemini man's reply I can see why the police omitted certain information from their report.

If the person wasn't already in custody (not sure how the police equate having one person in custody with certain guilt but that's another thread) it would surely hinder the investigation to not mention pertinent details.

over a year ago

I think people who quote or use the daily mail for the basis of a post should probably think twice before pressing the 'post message' button.

over a year ago

Yeah, the only article I could find about this stated the victim was a male.

It did state the victim was only just barely willing the police to publicise the appeal, so that information is very relevent.

I don't see what information you have access to that states the suspect was actually transgender as opposed to just a guy dressing up. Just seems like an unnesesary assumption to make and more likley to just mislead the public.

over a year ago

" If the press release stated that the offender was a member of the LGBT community, what were the public looking for? Would it have clarified anything, and perhaps done more harm than good by inciting animosity to innocent people?

Its not being politically correct in the derogatory sense, its being politically sensitive to all?

After reading Gemini man's reply I can see why the police omitted certain information from their report.

If the person wasn't already in custody (not sure how the police equate having one person in custody with certain guilt but that's another thread) it would surely hinder the investigation to not mention pertinent details."

Absolutely. Policing is incredibly complex in this modern day and age, and for me its terribly disheartening to see accusations that they pander to needs as opposed to upholding law.

Given available resources they do very well, and make every effort to make a considered and holistic approach to problem solving.

Yesterday's tragic stabbings were located close to a previous protest march.

Police didn't release a statement to absolve any involvement by protesters to be politically correct. They did it to avoid an escalation in hate crime or violence by people making assumptions.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Let’s hope they have not let another victim down by this omission.

It’s a pertinent but if information that needed to be released to find the offender.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"Let’s hope they have not let another victim down by this omission.

It’s a pertinent but if information that needed to be released to find the offender. "

They found the offender without the need to go to the media for witnesses - it was released to the media after the alleged culprit was caught and charged to encourage further victims to come forward.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

It’s a pertinent but if information that needed to be released to find the offender.

They found the offender without the need to go to the media for witnesses - it was released to the media after the alleged culprit was caught and charged to encourage further victims to come forward."

So the description would be pretty pertinent in encouraging other victims and witnesses to come forward.

over a year ago

They found the offender without the need to go to the media for witnesses - it was released to the media after the alleged culprit was caught and charged to encourage further victims to come forward.

So the description would be pretty pertinent in encouraging other victims and witnesses to come forward.

"

Without being involved in the case, everything you're stating is pure speculation. I'm sure an investigation by those involved will be far more extensive than a media story, or of those sat in the cheap seats passing judgement.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

Yes and the description was included as part of that press release looking for other victims - it's a typical Daily Fail non-story

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Yes and the description was included as part of that press release looking for other victims - it's a typical Daily Fail non-story "

I’ve not read the Daily Mail article to be honest. I only read the sport section on that tawdry rag.

I don’t see this as a PC issue at all. Just a dangerous individual who needs bringing to justice.

I can see both sides of thinking.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

This just seems like another episode of certain parts of the media making a tempest in a teapot to inflame bigotry.

I'm glad the offender was caught.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

Yes and the description was included as part of that press release looking for other victims - it's a typical Daily Fail non-story

I’ve not read the Daily Mail article to be honest. I only read the sport section on that tawdry rag.

I don’t see this as a PC issue at all. Just a dangerous individual who needs bringing to justice.

I can see both sides of thinking. "

I only read it as a result of wanting to fact check based on the OP before responding - but agree it's nothing to do with PC which is how the OP and the Daily Fail article dresses it up.

Simple facts of the case based on that article are:

Offence committed in December

Police apprehended a suspect without the need to appeal for witnesses via the media (which was partly to protect the victim who was traumatised and concerned about the effects on him of the case appearing in the media)

Having charged the suspect and with the consent of the victim they then went to the media to encourage any other victims to come forward.

And it really is that simple - sadly a fairly militant web page called foul on the details not having been released sooner and the Daily Fail picked up on it and sensationalised it.

Post new Message to Thread