Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Happy Father's Day Dad...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My Father was the best Dad I couldve wished for. He was my best friend and an inspiration to me.

I lost him 11yrs ago whilst I lived in Australia but over the phone in his last moments I thanked him for making me who I am and that I'll find him in the mountains of North Wales where we'd made our fondest memories climbing together.

Tomorrow at midday I'll post our last photo together before I emigrated, he knew it would be but I had no idea.

Say something nice about your Dad fabbers and let's honour them all both those who are with us and those who've gone before.

Good on ya Dad..!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Beautiful post OP

My Popples left us nearly 9 years ago and he truly was the best of men.

His own dad died when he was 6 months old. When his mum remarried his Stepfather never took to him so he was sent off to Barnardos. And only allowed home during the holidays.

Despite not knowing paternal love himself he did the best for me and my brothers and I could not have asked for, or been blessed with a, better man to call dad.

I was privileged to be able to care for him when he was terminal and share special moments as well as sad ones. The worst being when the man you had known as being over 6ft and strong could be carried in your own arms to his bed.

So Happy Fathers Day to all of you fab men on here. I hope you are able to celebrate with your children and have a wonderful day. For those of you who can't have a hug from me.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I will be popping in to see my parents tomorrow... with a little something for my dad

over a year ago

"I will be popping in to see my parents tomorrow... with a little something for my dad "

Have a beautiful time with them DC x

over a year ago

"I will be popping in to see my parents tomorrow... with a little something for my dad

Have a beautiful time with them DC x"

I've replied to you privately Lois...

Yes DC have a lovely time today x

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"Beautiful post OP

My Popples left us nearly 9 years ago and he truly was the best of men.

His own dad died when he was 6 months old. When his mum remarried his Stepfather never took to him so he was sent off to Barnardos. And only allowed home during the holidays.

Despite not knowing paternal love himself he did the best for me and my brothers and I could not have asked for, or been blessed with a, better man to call dad.

I was privileged to be able to care for him when he was terminal and share special moments as well as sad ones. The worst being when the man you had known as being over 6ft and strong could be carried in your own arms to his bed.

So Happy Fathers Day to all of you fab men on here. I hope you are able to celebrate with your children and have a wonderful day. For those of you who can't have a hug from me. "

By *honiex43Man
over a year ago

Bodmin

My dad passed 6 years ago and I still miss him now. He was and still is my inspiration to challenge myself to be better every day. While Father’s Day makes me have a little tear it also fills me with happy memories of my amazing dad

over a year ago

My dad passed away in 2011.

He was only 52. He was stollen so young because he used alcohol to escape his troubles.

He was my hero, I wish I'd realised that sooner than I did.

He was a gentle giant with a huge heart who would do anything for those he cared about.

I have many funny memories of my dad as I grew up and I miss him every day.

over a year ago

My dad past 10 years ago yesterday. He was 87. He spent the whole of my childhood pretending he was ticklish. I would tickle his feet and he would yell and laugh.

over a year ago

I can’t relate to missing or losing a father, but I lost my mother years and years ago.

Thoughts are with you today

over a year ago

My dads great. Very hard working. Very supportive. Taught me everything I need to be independent. Even now, if I need help hes there for me. Hes a brilliant grandad to my son and loves him so much.

All this and hes not even my biological dad.

over a year ago

"My Father was the best Dad I couldve wished for. He was my best friend and an inspiration to me.

I lost him 11yrs ago whilst I lived in Australia but over the phone in his last moments I thanked him for making me who I am and that I'll find him in the mountains of North Wales where we'd made our fondest memories climbing together.

Tomorrow at midday I'll post our last photo together before I emigrated, he knew it would be but I had no idea.

Say something nice about your Dad fabbers and let's honour them all both those who are with us and those who've gone before.

Good on ya Dad..! "

Beautiful post, sending you lots of love today, Hope you are kind to yourself

I miss my Daddy too...He died 25 years ago suddenly of a heart attack. I was 21 and pregnant, I needed him more than ever.

He raised me and brothers alone, always worked super hard to support us, he shaped me to be strong and independent, he taught me to take no shit.

He would fire my imagine with made up these stories about Faeries and Goblins. If ever there was a powercut (which happened often) we would sit around the fire cooking potatoes in the grate and he would tell us about ghosts and ghost stories, he was an incredible storyteller, he also taught me to appreciate nature... He taught me to disconnect from life and get lost in a natural environment. My inspiration for most things and I modelled my own parenting on him, well most of it

He also taught stuff about cars....Never taught me DIY though

All you Daddies there, I wish you a lovely day.

If you have a Daddy, spoil him. If not then treasure the memories, cry but be kind to yourself. Memories are things that can never be taken away, even if you forget they are still there, like the sun behind a cloud

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

My granddad passed over 10 years ago and he was kind, strong, supportive and fearlessly honest, all of which he taught me.

He would tell me everyday that no matter how many times I fell over he would come and help me up, my first unconditional love who never let me down and I raise a glass to honour him today x

over a year ago

"My Father was the best Dad I couldve wished for. He was my best friend and an inspiration to me.

Good on ya Dad..!

I miss my Daddy too...He died 25 years ago suddenly of a heart attack. I was 21 and pregnant, I needed him more than ever.

He raised me and brothers alone, always worked super hard to support us, he shaped me to be strong and independent, he taught me to take no shit.

He would fire my imagine with made up these stories about Faeries and Goblins. If ever there was a powercut (which happened often) we would sit around the fire cooking potatoes in the grate and he would tell us about ghosts and ghost stories, he was an incredible storyteller, he also taught me to appreciate nature... He taught me to disconnect from life and get lost in a natural environment. My inspiration for most things and I modelled my own parenting on him, well most of it

If you have a Daddy, spoil him. If not then treasure the memories, cry but be kind to yourself. Memories are things that can never be taken away, even if you forget they are still there, like the sun behind a cloud "

Sending love and a big hug to both of you.xx

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I lost my dad four years ago and miss him a lot, I've done so much over the last four years and he'd have been beaming with pride if he could have seen it. He terrified me as a kid and was tough on me as a teenager, mainly due to losing his own dad so young and the effect it had on him, but as I got into my 20's we got on much better. He was at my pass out parade a few months before he died and was hugely proud of me, that day is a nice memory to have.

over a year ago

Good on ya Dad..!

If you have a Daddy, spoil him. If not then treasure the memories, cry but be kind to yourself. Memories are things that can never be taken away, even if you forget they are still there, like the sun behind a cloud "

He sounds like a brilliant dad and a true inspiration to you

over a year ago

"I lost my dad four years ago and miss him a lot, I've done so much over the last four years and he'd have been beaming with pride if he could have seen it. He terrified me as a kid and was tough on me as a teenager, mainly due to losing his own dad so young and the effect it had on him, but as I got into my 20's we got on much better. He was at my pass out parade a few months before he died and was hugely proud of me, that day is a nice memory to have. "

I don't believe in heaven but I do believe they live on in our soul so he will have seen all of your accomplishments.

over a year ago

"My granddad passed over 10 years ago and he was kind, strong, supportive and fearlessly honest, all of which he taught me.

He would tell me everyday that no matter how many times I fell over he would come and help me up, my first unconditional love who never let me down and I raise a glass to honour him today x"

He sounds like the best of granddads x

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

We lost our Dad early March, be a different sort of day today although we hold onto the happy memories of a loving family man with a wicked sense of humour..

Great thread op..

over a year ago

"My dad past 10 years ago yesterday. He was 87. He spent the whole of my childhood pretending he was ticklish. I would tickle his feet and he would yell and laugh. "

This made me smile

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Good on ya Dad..! "

Quite moving sir..

I'm sure one day your own son will say something similar after reading what you wrote in the "what you proud of" thread..

I tip my hat...

By *erdyCurvyInkedPervyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

My dad died a fortnight ago. His funeral is on Friday. I was able to be with him at the end, and he died peacefully with me holding his hand.

God i miss him.i know it sounds trite, but he was my hero. I absolutely idolised him. He was always there for me, behind me in everything i did.

My fondest memory is if me snuggling into him when i was about 5 or 6, semming his old spice mixed with man sweat and feeling his wiry grey chest hair tickling my face.

I'm not quite sure what to do now, without him.

over a year ago

My dad is 84 and in lockdown in Blackpool, whilst I am here in lockdown in Wales, so although I won't be able to visit him today he will be getting a call from us via WhatsApp to wish him a happy father's day

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Having a socially distanced afternoon tea with my Dad this afternoon.

Wasn’t a great Dad to start off with but awesome now.

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

My old man sadly passed away nearly a year ago..

Though happy he went then than have survived and possibly gone during this recent crises..

We are what they make us....

Strange how you remember little things..

Getting me out of bed at 3am to watch the lions v NZ in 71 saying you'll thank me for this one day...when I moaned I was tired..

Waking me up coming in after night shift with the papers of the match reports of the great wxm fc first ever match in Europe v Zurich fc...

Phoning me from work one cold and frosty morning telling me I was not to play youth soccer as ground was to hard ..I was a goalie..sorry couldn't let the team down..

Always getting an album at crimbo of a band i liked thinking how does he know that

Though like many families we had to go without one thing he promised was that we'd never as kids go without a holiday and we never did..never abroad (well unless you count scotland)..but we always did.

At the end it was privileged and an honour to be his carer..

Couldn't understand why I never winge'd when he rang his bell at 4am saying he was gasping for cup of tea..hed say sorry so often ..he was me dad..and it

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

My 7th fathers day without mine

Miss him more than words could ever say

He was an all round good egg

Hugs to all who miss theirs dad or dad's missing children today x

over a year ago

https://youtu.be/w-u4MbDhpH8

Foo fighters - my hero.

Tribute to my (mr)Dad who left us 13 years ago.

over a year ago

I've 2 sons and my hubby is only the biological daddy to one but treats them exactly the same. He's the best father I could ever ask for for my children. They say its not who helps brings you into the world but who brings you up that deserves the title.

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"My old man sadly passed away nearly a year ago..

Though happy he went then than have survived and possibly gone during this recent crises..

We are what they make us....

Strange how you remember little things..

Getting me out of bed at 3am to watch the lions v NZ in 71 saying you'll thank me for this one day...when I moaned I was tired..

Waking me up coming in after night shift with the papers of the match reports of the great wxm fc first ever match in Europe v Zurich fc...

Phoning me from work one cold and frosty morning telling me I was not to play youth soccer as ground was to hard ..I was a goalie..sorry couldn't let the team down..

Always getting an album at crimbo of a band i liked thinking how does he know that

Though like many families we had to go without one thing he promised was that we'd never as kids go without a holiday and we never did..never abroad (well unless you count scotland)..but we always did.

At the end it was privileged and an honour to be his carer..

Couldn't understand why I never winge'd when he rang his bell at 4am saying he was gasping for cup of tea..hed say sorry so often ..he was me dad..and it

"

Sorry pressed send by mistake..anyway needed to wipe a tear...

It never mattered what time what he wanted something I was there for him as he had for us growing up..

Now i cant reccomend this highly enough .

For those of us that have lost a father...please please please track down a beautiful song "the old man" by Phil Coulter the exceptional singer songwriter from derry northern ireland.

In fact that may require a post of it's own..

over a year ago

I lost my dad just before the New year nearly five years ago; he’d been ill for a bit but went downhill pretty quickly. I’m still trying to think if it was a blessing that he didn’t suffer.

Got told by family and drove down, I wasn’t there when he died. That’s the worst bit.

Thinking of you all; miss you Big Man x

over a year ago

"My dad died a fortnight ago. His funeral is on Friday. I was able to be with him at the end, and he died peacefully with me holding his hand.

God i miss him.i know it sounds trite, but he was my hero. I absolutely idolised him. He was always there for me, behind me in everything i did.

My fondest memory is if me snuggling into him when i was about 5 or 6, semming his old spice mixed with man sweat and feeling his wiry grey chest hair tickling my face.

I'm not quite sure what to do now, without him. "

I am so sorry for your loss. How lovely to have been with him at the end.

Memories like you have will never fade and on days like today will bring a smile to you face and light up your heart xx

By *erdyCurvyInkedPervyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

"My dad died a fortnight ago. His funeral is on Friday. I was able to be with him at the end, and he died peacefully with me holding his hand.

Memories like you have will never fade and on days like today will bring a smile to you face and light up your heart xx"

Ah thank you. Now I'm sobbing again, in a good way.

over a year ago

Memories like you have will never fade and on days like today will bring a smile to you face and light up your heart xx

Ah thank you. Now I'm sobbing again, in a good way. "

Oh I am sorry Have a hug from me x

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

My dad was a brilliant man.

He wasn't my biological father but he showed me unconditional love and acceptance.

He wasn't a loud man, rather the opposite. He was rather unassuming and quiet but when his loud laugh would start over something daft we'd all start laughing because he just had that energy that made you feel good about yourself and you couldn't help but share in his joy. He'd do that a lot, bring positivity when you needed it most and at times when you didn't realise it was missing.

My dad taught me that honest, good men existed in the world. He taught me how to care for flowers and plants. How to change a lightbulb. The "right" way to fold towels. How to cook bacon, even though I hate the stuff. He'd always have time for me, even when he was really ill and I had to help him stand he'd want to know all about my life, my work, when I was finally going to get married!

He'd drive me up the wall with his early starts (a throwback to his navy days) and methodical precision but he'd always call to check in with me. Or to tell me about shares or this rare collectable he'd picked up or the latest scifi book he had read and thought I'd be interested in.

My dad brought my fractured family closer together again and it's because of his kindness and love that I have the relationship I do with my mum now.

There's not a day that goes by when I don't miss him and wish I could show him so much. Even a little text from him would mean so much. I'd like to think he would be proud of me. But more than that, I like to think he's at peace now and happy. Thanks Dad for everything. x

By *ookie46Woman
over a year ago

Deepest darkest Peru

My dad passed away 24 years ago days after the birth of my first son. He was not my biological dad but he was the best dad he could be and I’m so thankful he got to walk me down the aisle.

over a year ago

"My dad was a brilliant man.

He wasn't my biological father but he showed me unconditional love and acceptance.

He wasn't a loud man, rather the opposite. He was rather unassuming and quiet but when his loud laugh would start over something daft we'd all start laughing because he just had that energy that made you feel good about yourself and you couldn't help but share in his joy. He'd do that a lot, bring positivity when you needed it most and at times when you didn't realise it was missing.

My dad taught me that honest, good men existed in the world. He taught me how to care for flowers and plants. How to change a lightbulb. The "right" way to fold towels. How to cook bacon, even though I hate the stuff. He'd always have time for me, even when he was really ill and I had to help him stand he'd want to know all about my life, my work, when I was finally going to get married!

He'd drive me up the wall with his early starts (a throwback to his navy days) and methodical precision but he'd always call to check in with me. Or to tell me about shares or this rare collectable he'd picked up or the latest scifi book he had read and thought I'd be interested in.

My dad brought my fractured family closer together again and it's because of his kindness and love that I have the relationship I do with my mum now.

There's not a day that goes by when I don't miss him and wish I could show him so much. Even a little text from him would mean so much. I'd like to think he would be proud of me. But more than that, I like to think he's at peace now and happy. Thanks Dad for everything. x

"

over a year ago

"My dad passed away 24 years ago days after the birth of my first son. He was not my biological dad but he was the best dad he could be and I’m so thankful he got to walk me down the aisle.

"

over a year ago

I've just caught up with this mornings posts and I'd like to thank you all so very much for sharing your precious memories.

All wonderful men and examples to us all.

over a year ago

So moving x

Amazing men mentioned and posting x

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"I've just caught up with this mornings posts and I'd like to thank you all so very much for sharing your precious memories.

All wonderful men and examples to us all.

"

Please listen to phil coulter "the old man"

With what you've written youd appreciate it..

And I'm sure if someone played it to your son he would do as well..

over a year ago

My Dad left us 6 years ago.

Sadly suffered with depression and took his life at 49 years old.

Today is a tough one for me. I buy presents and a card for my childrens dad and have to be smiley and happy round them, but when they go to him I know it will get to me.

He was not my biological dad, he met my mother when I was 8, he already had 4 children, but he adopted me and my brother so I would call him Dad and we would all be equal.

I cannot thank him enough for that

over a year ago

"My Dad left us 6 years ago.

Sadly suffered with depression and took his life at 49 years old.

Today is a tough one for me. I buy presents and a card for my childrens dad and have to be smiley and happy round them, but when they go to him I know it will get to me.

He was not my biological dad, he met my mother when I was 8, he already had 4 children, but he adopted me and my brother so I would call him Dad and we would all be equal.

I cannot thank him enough for that "

That's such a touching story, to take on you as his responsibility and adopt you as his own shows just what a special man and Dad he was. A big hug km sending...x

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/06/20 21:27:10]

over a year ago

Happy fathers day everyone .

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Lost both our dads, 25 and 8 years ago respectively..not a day goes by without one or the other being spoken about with fond memories..

over a year ago

Happy father's day to all the dads.

The day I lose my father I'll be absolutely crushed. There is no way I could ever be the person he is.

over a year ago

Though there's still a little of the day left I'd finally like to thank everyone who's posted.

So many fond memories and sad stories as well as adoration for those who are passed and still with us.

One thing is for sure and that is while we're talking and thinking about them they never die.

I knew my Dad well enough to know what his opinion or advice would be in pretty much any situation, and if I pause I can still here his voice as I know exactly what he would say.

If you listen you'll here yours too...

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

I hear my dad all the time and he still guides me from the grave .... he even found my dream house for me ... so for a short while he’s in the next room with my partner who I lost 4 months after him ... until we all meet again

over a year ago

I miss my dad every single day. I have so much respect for what he did for our family, especially my brother. He never gave up fighting until his last breath and I pray we meet again someday.

If you're still lucky enough to have a dad who means something to you, make sure you let them know.

over a year ago

Lovely post from a lovely man

over a year ago

"Lovely post from a lovely man "

A beautiful post indeed

over a year ago

Lost my Dad in 2012, I took care of him at our family home in the USA for his final three years. He was so dignified and strong, I was so proud of myself for taking care of him. I had to carry him from room to room in the end. His final words to me was that he hoped I never got this(cancer)! He was dying and in his last breath, was worrying about me...at that moment, I learned the meaning of love!

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

My dad was a good man, he encouraged me to study, kept me out of trouble (mostly!) and made sacrifices so I had a better childhood than he did. He taught me your first priority isn’t your own wants and needs but loyalty and taking care of your kids. He also taught me to build boats and to deep fry sausage , eggs and chips

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"Lost my Dad in 2012, I took care of him at our family home in the USA for his final three years. He was so dignified and strong, I was so proud of myself for taking care of him. I had to carry him from room to room in the end. His final words to me was that he hoped I never got this(cancer)! He was dying and in his last breath, was worrying about me...at that moment, I learned the meaning of love!

"

Tip the hat with respect

over a year ago

"Lost my Dad in 2012, I took care of him at our family home in the USA for his final three years. He was so dignified and strong, I was so proud of myself for taking care of him. I had to carry him from room to room in the end. His final words to me was that he hoped I never got this(cancer)! He was dying and in his last breath, was worrying about me...at that moment, I learned the meaning of love!

Tip the hat with respect"

Thank you brother!

Post new Message to Thread