Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Had to do a second thread as I didnt get to reply to loads of people xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I'm glad the last thread was so popular .

I love nature

over a year ago

This is a reply to Hippychick 99

Red kites are absolutely beautiful birds, for such a size they have very weak talons. Ive seen the white one up in Gigrin farm x"

White? I didn’t know about that, I’ll have to look it up.

"Its been up there for years, we saw it first 13 years ago. Its pure white" xx

over a year ago

This is a reply to Astbury Davenport. Here is a breeding pair of urban peregrine falcons that raise their chicks on a building I pass every day on my way to work. There's a webcam in the scrape too, and it's fascinating viewing in breeding season.

I've also interacted with many birds of prey, especially rescued owls, at various animal sanctuaries. I find the white-faced scops owl particularly adorable.

I've also been lucky enough to fly both Harris hawks and a European eagle owl on one occasion.

I also have a particularly magical memory of riding a trained jousting horse across the Cambridgeshire fens while red kites circled and called overhead.

"Id love to see the webvam, sounds amazing. I want to fly birds of prey so badly. We have a hawking centre 30 mins away but I dont like how its looked after sadly. Id be there every day otherwise. " xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Still awaiting my reply!

over a year ago

"I'm glad the last thread was so popular .

I love nature "

Thankyou, heres a reply from part one x

No , it was mutilated, cats dont bother eating them as far as I know so I'm assuming it was the Kite or a Fox .

I've witnessed this Kite preying on small birds so it could be.

"Id 100% say its not a redkite. They hunt tiny creatures but mostly roadkill, their talons are too weak. Cats will mutilate and leave bits all over the place". Xx

over a year ago

"Still awaiting my reply! "

Im getting there, thread closed so im trying to copy messages over lol

over a year ago

"Still awaiting my reply! "

I used to hunt with Harris Hawks. A timid male and an absolute killer of a female who would tackle anything that moved! Watched her try and take down a young deer on her own, go after a house cat, went for my son once in a completely unprovoked attack and in the end managed to smash through a partition in her aviary, killed and ate the male!!

My reply

Wow she sounded fearce..I didnt think it would happen with harris hawks as they live in communities. She might be supper Dominant and saw him as very weak and needed to destroy him. Id be gutted to have seen that

over a year ago

"Still awaiting my reply!

I used to hunt with Harris Hawks. A timid male and an absolute killer of a female who would tackle anything that moved! Watched her try and take down a young deer on her own, go after a house cat, went for my son once in a completely unprovoked attack and in the end managed to smash through a partition in her aviary, killed and ate the male!!

My reply

Wow she sounded fearce..I didnt think it would happen with harris hawks as they live in communities. She might be supper Dominant and saw him as very weak and needed to destroy him. Id be gutted to have seen that "

She was a brilliant hunter. Very rarely missed a rabbit and was excellent on the glove for me...but after she killed the male I had to let her go. Not done any hunting since.

over a year ago

Reply to Just Rachel

I owned a Harris Hawk for a few years, I flew her for girl guides, boy scouts and other places. Till I found the right bit of land to fly her on, I dropped her weight too much due to bad information, i lost her.

She was a funny little thing.

MY reply from part 1

Ive heard its incredibly difficult to monitor their weight. If they are too heavy they wont fly.

Gutted for you lovely. I thought though with Harris hawks you could go over and under a bit more?

over a year ago

"Still awaiting my reply!

My reply

Wow she sounded fearce..I didnt think it would happen with harris hawks as they live in communities. She might be supper Dominant and saw him as very weak and needed to destroy him. Id be gutted to have seen that

She was a brilliant hunter. Very rarely missed a rabbit and was excellent on the glove for me...but after she killed the male I had to let her go. Not done any hunting since."

Im gutted for you, they live in packs so id imagine there be Dominant males and famales. Its possible he just wasnt Dom enough for her. She sounded superb though. Id have love to have met her . Gutted you gave up your hobbie xxx

over a year ago

Hopefully ive replief to everyone from part one. This is the first time ive evr done a part 2 but love all your storied on Raptors so much. Keep posting them and I promise to reply to everyone xxx

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Missed much of the last thread but love that we're seeing more raptors these days - especially Red Kites and Buzzards - living near fields and woods as I do we get a few circling near here and is always a beautiful sight.

Has become a pastime to Kite/Buzzard spot when out and about too

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

I have loads of Red Kites in my area.

But the past couple of weeks we have one that has made my back garden part of it's territory. He is a regular addition to one of my trees and been spotted sitting on my fence. Now I love it, he is a beautiful bird and I happy he is here.

My duck on the other hand aren't that impressed, shit scared would be another way of putting it.

over a year ago

"Missed much of the last thread but love that we're seeing more raptors these days - especially Red Kites and Buzzards - living near fields and woods as I do we get a few circling near here and is always a beautiful sight.

Has become a pastime to Kite/Buzzard spot when out and about too "

I get excited every time i see a bird of prey like its the first time x

over a year ago

"I have loads of Red Kites in my area.

But the past couple of weeks we have one that has made my back garden part of it's territory. He is a regular addition to one of my trees and been spotted sitting on my fence. Now I love it, he is a beautiful bird and I happy he is here.

My duck on the other hand aren't that impressed, shit scared would be another way of putting it."

Thats my dream, id be throwing chicken carcass out daily for it. I get the duck being terrified though

over a year ago

Redkite facts off the RSPB site.

Key information

This magnificently graceful bird of prey is unmistakable with its reddish-brown body, angled wings and deeply forked tail. It was saved from national extinction by one of the world's longest-running protection programmes. It has now been successfully re-introduced to England and Scotland. Red kites are listed under Schedule 1 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act.

What they eat:

Mainly carrion and worms, but opportunistic and will occasionally take small mammals.

Measurements:Length:60-66cmWingspan:175-195cmWeight:800-1,300g

Population: 

UK breeding:1,600 pairs

over a year ago

Did anyone look at the "white" redkite on the internet from Gigrin farm.?

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"Redkite facts off the RSPB site.

Key information

This magnificently graceful bird of prey is unmistakable with its reddish-brown body, angled wings and deeply forked tail. It was saved from national extinction by one of the world's longest-running protection programmes. It has now been successfully re-introduced to England and Scotland. Red kites are listed under Schedule 1 of The Wildlife and Countryside Act.

What they eat:

Mainly carrion and worms, but opportunistic and will occasionally take small mammals.

Population: 

"

To think back when I saw those two in borth and lampeter back in 1976 there were only a handfull of red kite in the uk, Its probably the greatest tribute to world conservation efforts ever..

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"Did anyone look at the "white" redkite on the internet from Gigrin farm.?"
I,ll have to look this bird up I wonder If its a leucistic bird Albino,s have pink eyes.

over a year ago

Key information

What they eat:

Population: 

To think back when I saw those two in borth and lampeter back in 1976 there were only a handfull of red kite in the uk, Its probably the greatest tribute to world conservation efforts ever.. "

It is incredible, I worry though if it was to ever stop then would the kites know how to forage for their own food. They have got so use to seeing feb by man. Am I over worrying?

over a year ago

"Did anyone look at the "white" redkite on the internet from Gigrin farm.?I,ll have to look this bird up I wonder If its a leucistic bird Albino,s have pink eyes. "

I'm sure its albino. There's pics up all over the web xx

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

Key information

What they eat:

Population: 

To think back when I saw those two in borth and lampeter back in 1976 there were only a handfull of red kite in the uk, Its probably the greatest tribute to world conservation efforts ever..

It is incredible, I worry though if it was to ever stop then would the kites know how to forage for their own food. They have got so use to seeing feb by man. Am I over worrying?"

These birds are breeding now well many are and thou they won,t say no to tit bits from man are quite capable of going It alone (back in the medievil days the big citys or towns black kite was present and scavenged as kites do yes we don,t have black kite anymore in the uk man saw to that before conservation came in) If they can but of course they,ll come into contact with man where they,ll be seen with suspicion as other birds of prey are but I,m sure they,ll hold their own as other birds do yes there will be victims but hopefully these will reported quickly and monitored by conservationists at such times and the people responsible prosecuted those some know doubt will escape justice.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"Did anyone look at the "white" redkite on the internet from Gigrin farm.?I,ll have to look this bird up I wonder If its a leucistic bird Albino,s have pink eyes.

I'm sure its albino. There's pics up all over the web xx"

That would be nice If true my friend two years ago managed to get some close video footage and photo,s of a pure white blackbird near to where I live It turned out to be a leucistic bird but being so white was a stunning bird the downfall of all this was his survival chances in the wild he was present for some time after(thou I never saw the bird in the wild myself) but haveing the chance of haveing the photo,s and video is probably a once in a lifetime made better still being on the doorstep..

over a year ago

Key information

What they eat:

Population: 

It is incredible, I worry though if it was to ever stop then would the kites know how to forage for their own food. They have got so use to seeing feb by man. Am I over worrying?These birds are breeding now well many are and thou they won,t say no to tit bits from man are quite capable of going It alone (back in the medievil days the big citys or towns black kite was present and scavenged as kites do yes we don,t have black kite anymore in the uk man saw to that before conservation came in) If they can but of course they,ll come into contact with man where they,ll be seen with suspicion as other birds of prey are but I,m sure they,ll hold their own as other birds do yes there will be victims but hopefully these will reported quickly and monitored by conservationists at such times and the people responsible prosecuted those some know doubt will escape justice. "

My fingers are crossed then, xx

over a year ago

"Did anyone look at the "white" redkite on the internet from Gigrin farm.?I,ll have to look this bird up I wonder If its a leucistic bird Albino,s have pink eyes.

I'm sure its albino. There's pics up all over the web xxThat would be nice If true my friend two years ago managed to get some close video footage and photo,s of a pure white blackbird near to where I live It turned out to be a leucistic bird but being so white was a stunning bird the downfall of all this was his survival chances in the wild he was present for some time after(thou I never saw the bird in the wild myself) but haveing the chance of haveing the photo,s and video is probably a once in a lifetime made better still being on the doorstep.. "

Did you see photos of the "white" redkite ?

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

I'm sure its albino. There's pics up all over the web xxThat would be nice If true my friend two years ago managed to get some close video footage and photo,s of a pure white blackbird near to where I live It turned out to be a leucistic bird but being so white was a stunning bird the downfall of all this was his survival chances in the wild he was present for some time after(thou I never saw the bird in the wild myself) but haveing the chance of haveing the photo,s and video is probably a once in a lifetime made better still being on the doorstep..

Did you see photos of the "white" redkite ?"

Yes I,ve seen a photo capture on flicker of this white kite It mentions its a leucistic bird and that 1% of red kites in wales are leucistic thou I,ve never seen one before from memory in a photograph.

over a year ago

I'm sure its albino. There's pics up all over the web xxThat would be nice If true my friend two years ago managed to get some close video footage and photo,s of a pure white blackbird near to where I live It turned out to be a leucistic bird but being so white was a stunning bird the downfall of all this was his survival chances in the wild he was present for some time after(thou I never saw the bird in the wild myself) but haveing the chance of haveing the photo,s and video is probably a once in a lifetime made better still being on the doorstep..

Did you see photos of the "white" redkite ? Yes I,ve seen a photo capture on flicker of this white kite It mentions its a leucistic bird and that 1% of red kites in wales are leucistic thou I,ve never seen one before from memory in a photograph."

Ah im so glad you found it. X

over a year ago

Key information

What they eat:

Population: 

It is incredible, I worry though if it was to ever stop then would the kites know how to forage for their own food. They have got so use to seeing feb by man. Am I over worrying?"

I wouldn't worry too much. Even though they've been fed since fledging it would only take a few days of not being fed to revert back to their natural hunting/scavenging habits. Of course, there'll be some mortalities because food would be harder to find but on the whole the population would most probably settle xx

over a year ago

Key information

What they eat:

Population: 

It is incredible, I worry though if it was to ever stop then would the kites know how to forage for their own food. They have got so use to seeing feb by man. Am I over worrying?

I wouldn't worry too much. Even though they've been fed since fledging it would only take a few days of not being fed to revert back to their natural hunting/scavenging habits. Of course, there'll be some mortalities because food would be harder to find but on the whole the population would most probably settle xx"

There's always the worry that there won't be enough food so numbers will decline rapidly.

But I will have faith that gigrin will stay open. Its a huge conservation money maker too x

Post new Message to Thread