Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Found Islam

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Very good friend of mine who is a male muslim has suddenly found religion and is now a devout Muslim the change in him is extremely scary he’s praying all day long because he’s been told he’s gotta catch up from birth to his 38 years age now he’s telling me about how the planet was made 2000 years ago dinosaurs evolution is a lie etc he’s been completely brain washed and I’m scared and deeply worried about him

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's his choice surely, as long as he's respecting others.....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If you fear he's being radicalised there are organisations you can contact I think. If he's just decided to become a devout Muslim then leave him to it.

over a year ago

Your right to worry, religion is a cancer and I hope he recovers

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

As long as they're are not causing any harm does it matter? Although understand your concerns, my friend from school brought up a Christian converted to islam and I was a bit worried initially. But this was about 10 years ago and she's still practicing and though we don't agree religiously, she's still the same person I knew as a teenager.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Worried about him rather than concerned it’s such a change in personality he’s a level headed ex soldier and now I’m not sure

over a year ago

"If you fear he's being radicalised there are organisations you can contact I think. If he's just decided to become a devout Muslim then leave him to it. "

I'd go with this advice..

over a year ago

"Worried about him rather than concerned it’s such a change in personality he’s a level headed ex soldier and now I’m not sure "

Has something happened to him recently that's made him question his life/choices/ etc?

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"As long as they're are not causing any harm does it matter? Although understand your concerns, my friend from school brought up a Christian converted to islam and I was a bit worried initially. But this was about 10 years ago and she's still practicing and though we don't agree religiously, she's still the same person I knew as a teenager. "

How does one define harm though ??

I feel it could be articulated that the mind concluding the planet is less than 5000 years old is indeed very damaging

I'd suggest it could be termed harmful if an indoctrinated thought process prohibits other beneficial thought processes???

At what point do those above suggesting

"Let them believe absolutely anything "

Feel school and education is utterly needless ?

Why could I not believe all education is pointless and that children will be perfecty happy watching net flix

At what degree of rejection of education is valid and what is not ?

over a year ago

"As long as they're are not causing any harm does it matter? Although understand your concerns, my friend from school brought up a Christian converted to islam and I was a bit worried initially. But this was about 10 years ago and she's still practicing and though we don't agree religiously, she's still the same person I knew as a teenager.

I feel it could be articulated that the mind concluding the planet is less than 5000 years old is indeed very damaging

I'd suggest it could be termed harmful if an indoctrinated thought process prohibits other beneficial thought processes???

Why could I not believe all education is pointless and that children will be perfecty happy watching net flix

At what degree of rejection of education is valid and what is not ? "

If OP's friend was forcing his kids to watch nextflix and not go to school then the responses might be different, but she didn't say he was....

Plenty of peaceful Muslims around from my experience....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Worried about him rather than concerned it’s such a change in personality he’s a level headed ex soldier and now I’m not sure "

OK would you be worried about him if he believed some of the conspiracy theories currently being circulated?

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"As long as they're are not causing any harm does it matter? Although understand your concerns, my friend from school brought up a Christian converted to islam and I was a bit worried initially. But this was about 10 years ago and she's still practicing and though we don't agree religiously, she's still the same person I knew as a teenager.

At what degree of rejection of education is valid and what is not ? "

I know a very devout Catholic who believes that the earth isn't old, yet they hold a PhD in genetics. They've caused me no harm and have not harmed others. Both have learnt the science of things but they choose to believe their religions views. That is their personal choice, to deny them that choice is a form of harm is it not?

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

If OP's friend was forcing his kids to watch nextflix and not go to school then the responses might be different, but she didn't say he was....

Plenty of peaceful Muslims around from my experience.... "

I was not suggesting Islam is not peaceful

I was suggesting that believing un truths about our planet maybe

over a year ago

I was suggesting that believing un truths about our planet maybe "

So you're suggesting Islam is the truth then?

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I know a very devout Catholic who believes that the earth isn't old, yet they hold a PhD in genetics. They've caused me no harm and have not harmed others. Both have learnt the science of things but they choose to believe their religions views. That is their personal choice, to deny them that choice is a form of harm is it not? "

Really they honestly achieved a PhD in genetics

Would have loved to read the thesis where it debates how genetics are used to date the evolutionary timeline

???

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 13:01:38]

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

[Removed by poster at 18/06/20 13:04:54]

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I was suggesting that believing un truths about our planet maybe

So you're suggesting Islam is the truth then? "

Think all I was suggesting is it is a debatable muse that it could be considered harm if a brain reasons despite overwhelming data that the planet is less than 5000 years old

And that the mind set that restricts the reasoning may harm other helpful thought processes

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I know a very devout Catholic who believes that the earth isn't old, yet they hold a PhD in genetics. They've caused me no harm and have not harmed others. Both have learnt the science of things but they choose to believe their religions views. That is their personal choice, to deny them that choice is a form of harm is it not?

Really they honestly achieved a PhD in genetics

Would have loved to read the thesis where it debates how genetics are used to date the evolutionary timeline

???

"

Why so confrontational? Everyone's belief system is different and personal. I know plenty of people who have religious beliefs and have science PhDs. Humans are complex and beautiful things. Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Contact your local Prevent if you think he's being radicalised.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I hope it brings him peace and a sense of purpose

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan
over a year ago

sheffield

If he is content in his decision and is telling you that he is now happy in life... then that’s his choice in life, I wouldn’t worry, if he holds radical views then there are organisations out there that can help.

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"Very good friend of mine who is a male muslim has suddenly found religion and is now a devout Muslim the change in him is extremely scary he’s praying all day long because he’s been told he’s gotta catch up from birth to his 38 years age now he’s telling me about how the planet was made 2000 years ago dinosaurs evolution is a lie etc he’s been completely brain washed and I’m scared and deeply worried about him "

I mean if he believes the world is 2000 years old then hes wrong on both the scientific and Islamic front

over a year ago

"Very good friend of mine who is a male muslim has suddenly found religion and is now a devout Muslim the change in him is extremely scary he’s praying all day long because he’s been told he’s gotta catch up from birth to his 38 years age now he’s telling me about how the planet was made 2000 years ago dinosaurs evolution is a lie etc he’s been completely brain washed and I’m scared and deeply worried about him

I mean if he believes the world is 2000 years old then hes wrong on both the scientific and Islamic front"

I was wondering this, creationist Islamism is new to me... but it could happen... I thought Islam was the one that revered science...

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

If you have concerns then ring the contact number, they have people there who can talk you through your worries for your friend and help

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Very good friend of mine who is a male muslim has suddenly found religion and is now a devout Muslim the change in him is extremely scary he’s praying all day long because he’s been told he’s gotta catch up from birth to his 38 years age now he’s telling me about how the planet was made 2000 years ago dinosaurs evolution is a lie etc he’s been completely brain washed and I’m scared and deeply worried about him

I mean if he believes the world is 2000 years old then hes wrong on both the scientific and Islamic front

I was wondering this, creationist Islamism is new to me... but it could happen... I thought Islam was the one that revered science..."

It certainly exists.

By *othin 2 proveCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Very good friend of mine who is a male muslim has suddenly found religion and is now a devout Muslim the change in him is extremely scary he’s praying all day long because he’s been told he’s gotta catch up from birth to his 38 years age now he’s telling me about how the planet was made 2000 years ago dinosaurs evolution is a lie etc he’s been completely brain washed and I’m scared and deeply worried about him "
That's religion for you! All common sense goes straight out the window

over a year ago

I was wondering this, creationist Islamism is new to me... but it could happen... I thought Islam was the one that revered science...

It certainly exists."

Seems logical considering the other two monotheisms have their fundamentalist factions.

over a year ago

I do smile when I hear all belief systems should be respected and therefore not open to challenge. Thereby challenging the belief that it is perfectly ok to challenge beliefs that can be disconfirmed through evidence.

I respect that everyone can have their views and at the same time think critical reasoning can help us to see alternative perspectives that have more explanatory power. If we just accept beliefs without challenge we will be forever lost in the flatland of relativistic, aperspectival madness.

over a year ago

"If you have concerns then ring the contact number, they have people there who can talk you through your worries for your friend and help"

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

It usually passes after couple of years if he is using religion to overcome something that devastated him recently. Some people have an inclination, feeling of belonging or expecting a higher power to help them out. If that’s the case, I would leave him be. Praying is not something you should be worry about!

However, if you think he is radicalised, I’d get support from helplines x

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

We're all free to have religion, so I'd probably just talk with a friend to understand their perspective and source for the more extreme views.

over a year ago

sheffield

In this matter if that’s what he believes then leave him to his belief.. if he doesn’t believe dinosaurs existed then that’s up to him... if he believes there is a superior being in the sky then that’s up to him... if he believes in aliens then that’s up to him...

Aslong as he doesn’t want to harm anyone, each to their own.

over a year ago

Islam, like Christianity and Judaism, is an Abrahamic religion. Abraham would mean the world is at least 4000+ years old.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Islam, like Christianity and Judaism, is an Abrahamic religion. Abraham would mean the world is at least 4000+ years old. "

Yup and less than 6000

over a year ago

sheffield

There are a lot of sects within religion... and each one has its own school of thought... religion is more complicated than just calling it one name “Islam” as there are religions within religions.

Post new Message to Thread