Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cecil Rhodes

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Apparently Oxford students have debated and voted to remove the statue..

If true and representative of all views then that's how it should be done..

Not by an angry mob

Bravo..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I bet they haven't debated doing away with his bursaries and scholarships, though....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Saw the thread title, knew who the Op would be.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I bet they haven't debated doing away with his bursaries and scholarships, though.... "

Well interestingly there are scholarships from the Cecil Rhodes Trust that sponsor Africans to attend Oxford

over a year ago

"I bet they haven't debated doing away with his bursaries and scholarships, though.... "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Saw the thread title, knew who the Op would be."

Thank you my good friend

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"I bet they haven't debated doing away with his bursaries and scholarships, though....

Well interestingly there are scholarships from the Cecil Rhodes Trust that sponsor Africans to attend Oxford"

I know

That's my point.

I bet they'll still be happy to take his money

Hypocrites

over a year ago

They should leave it where it is. He is a historical figure of the British empire and he was of his time, not perfect, by any means, but you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well at least protagonist I read about who benefitted wanted the statue down..

Not sure if that is biting the hand that feeds you..

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

"I bet they haven't debated doing away with his bursaries and scholarships, though....

Well interestingly there are scholarships from the Cecil Rhodes Trust that sponsor Africans to attend Oxford

I know

That's my point.

Hypocrites"

Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that Rhodes exceptional wealth at the times funded the building and the initial scholarship. At present it is funded by other scholars, but just named after Cecil Rhodes?

over a year ago

"They should leave it where it is. He is a historical figure of the British empire and he was of his time, not perfect, by any means, but you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today. "

I agree.. times were very different. He was just doing what was acceptable at the time..

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I know

That's my point.

Hypocrites

-----

Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that Rhodes exceptional wealth at the times funded the building and the initial scholarship. At present it is funded by other scholars, but just named after Cecil Rhodes?

"

No you're wrong... Mr Rhodes returns from the grave once a year to hand over the cash from his celestial pension in person.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"They should leave it where it is. He is a historical figure of the British empire and he was of his time, not perfect, by any means, but you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today.

------

I agree.. times were very different. He was just doing what was acceptable at the time.."

Surely we should not have memorials to commend shameful acts. Do you think it would be acceptable to have a massive Hitler Statue outside the VW factory to remind everyone that VolksWagen was a NAZI project to provide a cheap transport for the masses? Or would it be acceptable for a large bust of Jimmie Saville outside the Children's hospital wing that he raised 2 million Quid to build?

Cal

over a year ago

They will probably put one up of the Lammy buffoon. Who is next on the list, Cromwell,? Richard the lion heart, Nelson, Clive of India? We don't need some foreign woman saying who we can and can't have statues of in this country, its not their country or history. Leave Cecil alone.

over a year ago

Also, how far back in history shall we go? Only the last couple hundred years?

By *aastyKnixWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I know

That's my point.

Hypocrites"

It's the way he made that money that some people find objectionable. Some might argue that he exploited the lands that he helped colonise and that wealth belongs to them.

over a year ago

I know

That's my point.

Hypocrites

It's the way he made that money that some people find objectionable. Some might argue that he exploited the lands that he helped colonise and that wealth belongs to them."

You could argue in general that is how Britain got its wealth, by sending out explorers with remits to claim and plunder foreign lands, as did the French empire, the Dutch, German, Portuguese...all the way back to the Vikings, the Romans, Alexander the Great etc.

over a year ago

Monies paid for on the back of complete and utter exploitation of the people and resources of Africa!

By *oft_SensualTV/TS
over a year ago

Yorkshire

When the next PM comes from somewhere other than Oxbridge then I'll be clapping.

over a year ago

"When the next PM comes from somewhere other than Oxbridge then I'll be clapping."

Alas, it won't be anytime soon!

By *oft_SensualTV/TS
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"When the next PM comes from somewhere other than Oxbridge then I'll be clapping.

Alas, it won't be anytime soon! "

The 1% rule supreme in this country, sadly.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"When the next PM comes from somewhere other than Oxbridge then I'll be clapping.

Alas, it won't be anytime soon!

The 1% rule supreme in this country, sadly. "

Well someone has too and the great unwashed cannot be trusted

over a year ago

"Apparently Oxford students have debated and voted to remove the statue..

Not by an angry mob

Bravo.. "

Pretty sure it's a Listed Building including the statue so it won't be their decision as to whether it's removed ...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not by an angry mob

Bravo..

Pretty sure it's a Listed Building including the statue so it won't be their decision as to whether it's removed ..."

Well listed buildings can be altered..

Why not move Cecil to a museum and put another figure in his place that does not offend..

Captain Pugwash for example...

over a year ago

Not by an angry mob

Bravo..

Pretty sure it's a Listed Building including the statue so it won't be their decision as to whether it's removed ...

Well listed buildings can be altered..

Why not move Cecil to a museum and put another figure in his place that does not offend..

Captain Pugwash for example... "

Permission can be sought to alter a listed building yes, doesn't mean to say it will be granted though.

Yes, Captain Pugwash wouldn't offend anyone surely

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"They will probably put one up of the Lammy buffoon. Who is next on the list, Cromwell,? Richard the lion heart, Nelson, Clive of India? We don't need some foreign woman saying who we can and can't have statues of in this country, its not their country or history. Leave Cecil alone. "

They should all follow Wellington's example and have a useful piece of countryside attire named after them

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Are we all to insist the Italians take down the Colosseum and similar Roman structures around the world for colonising and taking slaves (English to fight as gladiators) or does that not count because it doesn't fit the agenda? It's part of history, whether right or wrong, it happened, we learn from history and hopefully make better choices.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Are we all to insist the Italians take down the Colosseum and similar Roman structures around the world for colonising and taking slaves (English to fight as gladiators) or does that not count because it doesn't fit the agenda? It's part of history, whether right or wrong, it happened, we learn from history and hopefully make better choices. "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Cecil has had his day and deserves to rest out of the rain in a museum...

Let his statue rest in peace but I fear even in museums these statues will be attacked...

Post new Message to Thread