Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Premium Bonds

Jump to newest

By *ohnjones3210 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chester

Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have. I’ve won a few times. There’s no risk with them. I don’t like risk. And there’s also the chance to win! With the interests rates as they are id rather keep them.

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

If you can invest a decent amount day 10K the likely good is that you will win more over 5 years than you would make interest ( with out taking the risk of investing in somthing that you could lose ). The odd £25 or £50 here and there is not to be sniffed at. Across my family we have about 30k invested and we will at least £25 every other month

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Bank rates poor. If you buy bonds you can reinvest your prizes and treat it like interest. People with a big holding tend to win a few 25 prizes but not guaranteed but always a chance of winning the million..

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Bulk of my assets are elsewhere but they are better than deposit accounts at the moment so I keep a descent amount in them

over a year ago

Chester

"If you can invest a decent amount day 10K the likely good is that you will win more over 5 years than you would make interest ( with out taking the risk of investing in somthing that you could lose ). The odd £25 or £50 here and there is not to be sniffed at. Across my family we have about 30k invested and we will at least £25 every other month "

That works out at 1%.

Eughhhh, I don't know. I currently earn 1.5% or so in an ISA.

By *verage JosephMan
over a year ago

Grays & London

I have... it’s a good way to save. Earn money with no risk

over a year ago

"Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything?"

I had some somewhere; don’t know where they are. I’m still hoping that the government has my winnings for the late 1970’s so I end up very rich unexpectedly

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I had £100 worth given to me about 20 years ago and had never ever won. I have recently invested a considerable amount more now, and have so far won £100 in 2 months, long let this continue . I should have an old forum thread on here if you do a search for premium bonds, you might find it interesting reading, I know I did. I guess it very much depends how much you want to invest.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Bulk of my assets are elsewhere but they are better than deposit accounts at the moment so I keep a descent amount in them"

I buy and cash in online (paperless) they make it really easy, almost use them like a second bank account which works well for me

over a year ago

Chester

[Removed by poster at 17/06/20 10:52:20]

over a year ago

Chester

I'm looking to invest a considerable amount of money.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"I'm looking to invest a considerable amount of money."

50k is the max

over a year ago

Chester

"I'm looking to invest a considerable amount of money.

50k is the max"

I think I'm going to set this up today. I'm skeptical of prize draws though as I don't have any confidence in "luck". I've never won anything in my life.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

50k is the max

I think I'm going to set this up today. I'm skeptical of prize draws though as I don't have any confidence in "luck". I've never won anything in my life.

"

Look at it this way all you can loose is the puny interest amount a savings account would give you.

Stocks and shares ISA's are an alternative as are the newish alternative ISA's (can't recall the proper name for them) neither is risk free

over a year ago

My parents have a lot of them. They win varying amounts each month.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Have a failed old whack in them while I’m waiting to see how the property market goes before I commit to another buy to let.

Won around £350 in chunks nothing special.

Had more return on Facebook and Amazon shares.

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My mum has quite alot and wins more with them than she does with the lotto

over a year ago

Chester

50k is the max

Look at it this way all you can loose is the puny interest amount a savings account would give you.

Stocks and shares ISA's are an alternative as are the newish alternative ISA's (can't recall the proper name for them) neither is risk free"

I think you're right.

over a year ago

Chester

"Have a failed old whack in them while I’m waiting to see how the property market goes before I commit to another buy to let.

Won around £350 in chunks nothing special.

Had more return on Facebook and Amazon shares. "

That's exactly what I'm doing.

By *orkspoonMan
over a year ago

nearby

I have £2, given to me when I was born. No payout so far, so may be due the big prize!

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

I made about 20% annual return on Lindsell train global equity a couple of years back, not sure I'd dabble in it in these uncertain times though

By *ensual 2Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

Yeh we have put a the full amount in recently as interest rates are so bad atm ....leaving it in for 12 months to see the return ....

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes, we have them and win something every month, from £25 to £150. Very pleased with our return and you can get your hands on your capital, should you need it

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

You really need to invest a lot to get any decent yearly return.

over a year ago

I maxed out on them a few years ago and get about 15 prizes (mostly £25) each year

I love them as theyre safe but you have that monthly anticipation of a prize dropping in

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"You really need to invest a lot to get any decent yearly return. "

Yes you do

over a year ago

Chester

"I made about 20% annual return on Lindsell train global equity a couple of years back, not sure I'd dabble in it in these uncertain times though"

Yes! I've done all of this too. A few years ago, I invested in ITV when they had some bad publicity.

A year later, I sold them and made about 40% profit. But, now I don't want to take any risks.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"I made about 20% annual return on Lindsell train global equity a couple of years back, not sure I'd dabble in it in these uncertain times though

Yes! I've done all of this too. A few years ago, I invested in ITV when they had some bad publicity.

A year later, I sold them and made about 40% profit. But, now I don't want to take any risks. "

Not the best time to take risks

By *itsAndTaffCouple
over a year ago

Grays, Essex

I used to have them as a kid but don’t any longer

My mum still has some and wins £25 at least twice a year which is much better than she’ll get in interest at the bank

over a year ago

I've got just over 30k in ernies bonds and I get a return of between 11 and 15%. Yes it is luck but your investment is safe and can be withdrawn at anytime.

over a year ago

Chester

Right!

So! A £25 win on £25k isn't good.

12 * £25 = £300 and that's an equivalent of 1.2%.

However, a few wins of over that amount would make good interest.

I've now set the account up and put 1k in it. When it's fully up and running, I'll put the rest in.

If I become a millionaire, I'm going to give all the men in here £1000 each. Women in here, you're going to get a much better present; a free fu**! Haha!

X

over a year ago

Yep, I have them and yes they do give a return of sorts...

Always the very slim chance of a big win.... bit like hoping for that big win on the lottery but without the cost of doing it....

If you do have money to invest do it all in one go so that your bonds cover the entire spread of numbers rather than investing it in stages

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Right!

I've now set the account up and put 1k in it. When it's fully up and running, I'll put the rest in.

If I become a millionaire, I'm going to give all the men in here £1000 each. Women in here, you're going to get a much better present; a free fu**! Haha!

X"

Haha

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Right!

X"

Stick it on the three o'clock at Ascot, you know it makes sense

over a year ago

Pretty much pointless unless you’re investing over £15k.

If you want to invest look at the stock market. With a decent sized investment, £25k you can pull some decent profit within a short period of time.

Look at the likes of Aston Martin as they’re very volatile right now. With some easy wins to be had.

I’m currently invested into premier oil and tullow oil, which are 186% and 253% up on the last three months.

Lloyd’s are also worth a look if they drop below 30p a share again.

By *ensual 2Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

50k is the max

Stocks and shares ISA's are an alternative as are the newish alternative ISA's (can't recall the proper name for them) neither is risk free"

Agree we have put money into it for a year and seeing what return we get ..

By *yn drwgMan
over a year ago

Camarthen

My mother had 10k premium bonds, won 5k once and often gets £25+ £50 at least 3 times a year so worked well for her.

over a year ago

Chester

"Right!

X

Stick it on the three o'clock at Ascot, you know it makes sense "

Haha! My friends do.. I'm far too tight for that.

over a year ago

Chester

"Pretty much pointless unless you’re investing over £15k.

If you want to invest look at the stock market. With a decent sized investment, £25k you can pull some decent profit within a short period of time.

Look at the likes of Aston Martin as they’re very volatile right now. With some easy wins to be had.

I’m currently invested into premier oil and tullow oil, which are 186% and 253% up on the last three months.

Lloyd’s are also worth a look if they drop below 30p a share again. "

Yes! I bought Lloyds shares during the credit crunch. Sold them after recovery.

It's way too volatile for me right now though.

By *ensual 2Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

50k is the max"

we put 50k in only last week ...interesting to see what return we get in the next 12 months ...

By *elloWoman
over a year ago

alpha centauri

Love saving in premium bonds, I buy some every month and win anywhere between £400 - £600 a year.

By *othin 2 proveCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything?"
The hubby and myself are at the max limit you are allowed. Advised to do this many years ago so the tax man cannot touch it, totally seperate from all our other investments. We win regularly £25,£50,£100 and occasionally £500 but 10 years ago we won 100k which was nice. They asked us if we wanted any publicty with the local paper and such but we just kept it to ourselves. So to us they are worth it but we did'nt buy expecting to win a big amount we were just keeping it from the tax man. xx

By *ensual 2Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything? The hubby and myself are at the max limit you are allowed. Advised to do this many years ago so the tax man cannot touch it, totally seperate from all our other investments. We win regularly £25,£50,£100 and occasionally £500 but 10 years ago we won 100k which was nice. They asked us if we wanted any publicty with the local paper and such but we just kept it to ourselves. So to us they are worth it but we did'nt buy expecting to win a big amount we were just keeping it from the tax man. xx"
Good for you .....

over a year ago

I won £25 this month but I haven't got much money put into premium bonds but deff better than savings at the moment

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

We were dealing with Probate for a client who had passed away. She claimed she had won very little from them when she gave details of all her assets and investments before she passed away. As soon as she did she kept receiving cheques from them for months until we were able to obtain probate and close her account. Alanis Morissette was kinda right after all.

over a year ago

I’ve never really bothered with them, my Dad has a few thousand but didn’t often win.

Savings acc are just as good if not better in that case. As long as the FSCS is in place you can have £85k deposited with full protection. You can still get 0.8% on easy access which is £850 interest for a year on the maximum protected account. On that basis you’d have to win £70 each month with Premium Bonds to be equal.

But we all make our own choices.

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

[Removed by poster at 17/06/20 13:50:19]

over a year ago

Chester

"Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything? The hubby and myself are at the max limit you are allowed. Advised to do this many years ago so the tax man cannot touch it, totally seperate from all our other investments. We win regularly £25,£50,£100 and occasionally £500 but 10 years ago we won 100k which was nice. They asked us if we wanted any publicty with the local paper and such but we just kept it to ourselves. So to us they are worth it but we did'nt buy expecting to win a big amount we were just keeping it from the tax man. xx"

Ok, so it can be good. I have little faith in luck though.

By *angOnBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Ipswich

Yep, have them and they make more interest for me than pitiful savings accounts at the moment. But then it's a modest amount at the moment and any winnings are automatically reinvested. It's just one of several investments running to get rid of this thing I have to do called work

over a year ago

Chester

"I’ve never really bothered with them, my Dad has a few thousand but didn’t often win.

Savings acc are just as good if not better in that case. As long as the FSCS is in place you can have £85k deposited with full protection. You can still get 0.8% on easy access which is £850 interest for a year on the maximum protected account. On that basis you’d have to win £70 each month with Premium Bonds to be equal.

But we all make our own choices. "

Exactly.

I already have such an account, 0.8% interest, but with a very large amount of money in it, it doesn't warrant me leaving it in there.

It's a much better idea to invest it in something as 0.8% isn't worth bothering with in my opinion.

At the same time, I don't want to 'buy to let' at the moment.

By *othin 2 proveCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Does anyone on here have them? Do you think they're worth it? Have you ever won anything? The hubby and myself are at the max limit you are allowed. Advised to do this many years ago so the tax man cannot touch it, totally seperate from all our other investments. We win regularly £25,£50,£100 and occasionally £500 but 10 years ago we won 100k which was nice. They asked us if we wanted any publicty with the local paper and such but we just kept it to ourselves. So to us they are worth it but we did'nt buy expecting to win a big amount we were just keeping it from the tax man. xxGood for you ..... "
Thank you.xx

Post new Message to Thread