Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

JK Rowling

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

She has had a bad ride on social media lately. Social media seems to breed hysteria. Apart from this site I stay off it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Me too

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

If that's a pun it's clever

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If that's a pun it's clever "

Not intentional Tom. I'm not that deep or that quick thinking

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

It's like a pack of hyaenas got the internet and can now communicate with the next pack of hyaenas.

People being outraged by something is now just a daily occurance.

Sometimes it's valid, most times it's not.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Seems like one wrong sentence can cause uproar on social media. What you type can be read very differently by other people. For example if a picture is posted and someone types "Oh I really like the picture". It can be read back as a complement or a sarcastic put-down.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't do Twatter or Face Fuck

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I had to smile to myself at the speed with which the Harry Potter actors distanced themselves from her comments.

By *illy_the_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"Seems like one wrong sentence can cause uproar on social media. What you type can be read very differently by other people. For example if a picture is posted and someone types "Oh I really like the picture". It can be read back as a complement or a sarcastic put-down."

For her though its bot one wrong sentence, she has done multiple things that infer that shes a follower of terf

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Seems like one wrong sentence can cause uproar on social media. What you type can be read very differently by other people. For example if a picture is posted and someone types "Oh I really like the picture". It can be read back as a complement or a sarcastic put-down.

For her though its bot one wrong sentence, she has done multiple things that infer that shes a follower of terf"

I feel your pain on the TERF thing. If I only had a solution. I have had it easy in many ways and although I came from poverty I never had that struggle for rights. I can see both sides but not sure both sides are right or even wrong.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Seems like one wrong sentence can cause uproar on social media. What you type can be read very differently by other people. For example if a picture is posted and someone types "Oh I really like the picture". It can be read back as a complement or a sarcastic put-down.

For her though its bot one wrong sentence, she has done multiple things that infer that shes a follower of terf"

At the risk of getting myself embroiled in more stuff (I'm tired), solidarity on all the crap this has brought up. My feminism is trans inclusive.

By *ordan02081995Man
over a year ago

Crosspool

"She has had a bad ride on social media lately. Social media seems to breed hysteria. Apart from this site I stay off it. "
From what I gather, she implied that trans women are really just male predators that want to perv on women in changing rooms. I have zero sympathy.

over a year ago

"Seems like one wrong sentence can cause uproar on social media. What you type can be read very differently by other people. For example if a picture is posted and someone types "Oh I really like the picture". It can be read back as a complement or a sarcastic put-down."

Fed up of people taking things the wrong way.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

I've not really been following the news or social media recently so I could be totally wrong here.

But didn't this all start because she took exception to the wording on an article titled - Opinion: Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate.

Her tweet was

“‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?”

Or have I lost the plot entirely?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I've not really been following the news or social media recently so I could be totally wrong here.

But didn't this all start because she took exception to the wording on an article titled - Opinion: Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate.

Her tweet was

“‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?”

Or have I lost the plot entirely?"

It was that but I think she's got form.

I just found it amusing that two people who's fortune was built on the back of her writing were so quick to dissociate themselves. Has it really come to the point that people don't realise that appearing in a film based on a book written by a person doesn't mean you agree with their views.?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"She has had a bad ride on social media lately. Social media seems to breed hysteria. Apart from this site I stay off it. From what I gather, she implied that trans women are really just male predators that want to perv on women in changing rooms. I have zero sympathy."

Yes. She has form, this is nothing new. And she's doubled down.

By *ensual 2Couple
over a year ago

Blackpool

"She has had a bad ride on social media lately. Social media seems to breed hysteria. Apart from this site I stay off it. "
Do you think she is on fab

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've not really been following the news or social media recently so I could be totally wrong here.

Her tweet was

I just found it amusing that two people who's fortune was built on the back of her writing were so quick to dissociate themselves. Has it really come to the point that people don't realise that appearing in a film based on a book written by a person doesn't mean you agree with their views.?"

I think so.

I think there's also a bit of, people are feeling that Rowling is poisoning Harry Potter for them. (It's interesting in terms of literary criticism, as an aside, that she remains invested in how people interpret the work she's released) I wonder if the actors are trying to help people imagine a Harry Potter without the transphobia, rather than have childhood memories tainted.

over a year ago

Her tweet was

I just found it amusing that two people who's fortune was built on the back of her writing were so quick to dissociate themselves. Has it really come to the point that people don't realise that appearing in a film based on a book written by a person doesn't mean you agree with their views.?"

I think the problem is that the General Public DO think that way. They just see the headlines and will assume Eddie, Daniel etc all agree with what the GP think she said/ however the media twisted it. So that's why they are distancing themselves.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Her tweet was

I just found it amusing that two people who's fortune was built on the back of her writing were so quick to dissociate themselves. Has it really come to the point that people don't realise that appearing in a film based on a book written by a person doesn't mean you agree with their views.?

I think so.

I think there's also a bit of, people are feeling that Rowling is poisoning Harry Potter for them. (It's interesting in terms of literary criticism, as an aside, that she remains invested in how people interpret the work she's released) I wonder if the actors are trying to help people imagine a Harry Potter without the transphobia, rather than have childhood memories tainted."

The cynical me thinks that is the spin they will put on it which may well be genuine. I suspect though that their media advisers will have told them to distance themselves quickly and publicly.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Her tweet was

I think the problem is that the General Public DO think that way. They just see the headlines and will assume Eddie, Daniel etc all agree with what the GP think she said/ however the media twisted it. So that's why they are distancing themselves. "

Isn't it a shame that we can't be trusted to think for ourselves

over a year ago

This isn't the first time she's made commments like this, and it certainly won't be the last.

She's consistently taken this stance with regard to trans issues and unfortunately she seems intent on not listening to anything anyone is saying in response.

The fact she tries to claim she's some ally of the LGBT movement is what really upsets people though.

Because it's one thing to have these views, it's another to be a child celebrity that speaks to children everywhere, and then it becomes the cherry on the cake of hypocrisy when she tries to act like her position is somehow supportive of LGBT rights.

The woman has lost her marbles when it comes to self-awareness.

This is not the kind of thing you raise on twitter of all places and then act like there's nothing at all to criticise about it.

She only has herself to blame at this point. This isn't some off handed remark made 10 years ago. This is a consistent stream of diatribes on how she thinks she's right about the issue based off nothing but her gut.

None of what her claims about this trivialising the struggles of feminism is true. It's a complete non-sequitir.

over a year ago

She is good looking, talented writer but some of her opinions I don't agree with. It's her opinion which she has expressed at this time, she could have a different opinion in a few years, who knows.

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

The media make it up as they go along, she is a high profile person so an easy target for reporters to play on words.

Her original statement was about gay pride where she said just because a person was gay/bi/transgender they didn't have to go out on the streets naked & she felt she couldn't take her children out that day, this is quite a normal comment which could have come from any worried parent.

Me & Kim have lots of bi/gay friends & believe everybody has a right to be be who they want to be without prejudice, if any 'straight' man or women walked down the road naked they would be arrested for indecency so why change the law for gay/bi/transgender to be indecently exposed in public just because of their sexuality...equality should mean equality for everyone whatever their gender.

over a year ago

She has explictly stated on several occasions that trans men/women are not real men/women.

She's tried to justify it using appeals to consequence, appeals to emotion and varius TERF tactics.

This has nothing to do with her remarks about public nudity. It has everything to do with her explicitly talking about what she thinks trans people "are" on her twitter.

This has been going on for several years and the responses she gives show she is unlikely to change her mind at any point in the near future, short of someone sitting her down and spoon feeding it to her.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"She has explictly stated on several occasions that trans men/women are not real men/women.

She's tried to justify it using appeals to consequence, appeals to emotion and varius TERF tactics.

This has nothing to do with her remarks about public nudity. It has everything to do with her explicitly talking about what she thinks trans people "are" on her twitter.

This has been going on for several years and the responses she gives show she is unlikely to change her mind at any point in the near future, short of someone sitting her down and spoon feeding it to her."

Agreed.

Do you know what damage it does to my femininity to refer to users of cervical cancer services as "people who menstruate?"

Absolutely none. My gender identity has nothing to do with the fact that I bleed once a month.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well I have never read her books. I fell asleep in the cinema watching the first Potter film. The only reason I went was because I was waiting for a girl to finish work at Blue water.

I am not sure her views are that extreme but I don't think she should be hounded for it. I don't share her views. I may be naive but I don't stop listening to music because of the views of the singer. I still buy Morrissey etc. I still listen to Michael Jackson.

It's a storm in an eggcup fed by a social media feeding frenzy. Papers make nonsense stories just because they can.

over a year ago

"Well I have never read her books. I fell asleep in the cinema watching the first Potter film. The only reason I went was because I was waiting for a girl to finish work at Blue water.

I am not sure her views are that extreme but I don't think she should be hounded for it. I don't share her views. I may be naive but I don't stop listening to music because of the views of the singer. I still buy Morrissey etc. I still listen to Michael Jackson.

It's a storm in an eggcup fed by a social media feeding frenzy. Papers make nonsense stories just because they can."

It may be a storm in an egg cup to you, Tom, but with respect, it has no effect on you whatsoever.

Because of the views of people like Rowling, Greer and Linehan, and their friends in the media, the government have announced that changes to the GRA will contain roll backs on trans rights in the UK, that will make life very difficult for many transwomen in the future.

We are getting no support from the opposition either, and many transwomen, myself included, are more frightened than ever for our safety.

Being trans is shit!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well I have never read her books. I fell asleep in the cinema watching the first Potter film. The only reason I went was because I was waiting for a girl to finish work at Blue water.

It's a storm in an eggcup fed by a social media feeding frenzy. Papers make nonsense stories just because they can.

It may be a storm in an egg cup to you, Tom, but with respect, it has no effect on you whatsoever.

Because of the views of people like Rowling, Greer and Linehan, and their friends in the media, the government have announced that changes to the GRA will contain roll backs on trans rights in the UK, that will make life very difficult for many transwomen in the future.

We are getting no support from the opposition either, and many transwomen, myself included, are more frightened than ever for our safety.

Being trans is shit! "

I stand with you. I'm sorry.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Some of her recent blathering has shat on autistic people too, and I'm so not here for that.

over a year ago

Being trans is shit!

I stand with you. I'm sorry."

Thank you.

Many people do, and in a government consultation on the matter we were supported by 70% of the respondents.

That support is greatly appreciated, but unfortunately the government wrote it off because they said it had been skewed by the trans community.

That's nonsense, because many non trans people responded positively, I know several personally, but the result just didn't fit the narrative, and was completely dismissed by those in power.

I feel sad that in the 21st century, tolerance for people who are 'different' appears to be taking a step back.

Worrying times, indeed.

over a year ago

Being trans is shit!

Thank you.

Many people do, and in a government consultation on the matter we were supported by 70% of the respondents.

That support is greatly appreciated, but unfortunately the government wrote it off because they said it had been skewed by the trans community.

That's nonsense, because many non trans people responded positively, I know several personally, but the result just didn't fit the narrative, and was completely dismissed by those in power.

I feel sad that in the 21st century, tolerance for people who are 'different' appears to be taking a step back.

Worrying times, indeed."

I can imagine how discouraging that is. Keep perservering. You have much support and that will increase.

over a year ago

"Well I have never read her books. I fell asleep in the cinema watching i9the first Potter film. The only reason I went was because I was waiting for a girl to finish work at Blue water.

Being trans is shit!

Thank you.

Worrying times, indeed.

I can imagine how discouraging that is. Keep perservering. You have much support and that will increase."

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

She's alienated significant portions of Harry Potter fandom. A lot of fans feel they can carry on being fans of the wonderful stories she wrote but without her, and without buying any more books she writes, merchandise or films.

JKR's issues have gone way beyond "a slipped finger" on her phone liking a transphobic post. She's said things that cannot be unsaid and clearly aligned herself with the TERFs.

Whether this is malicious or from a position of ignorance is unclear but she's also unwilling to listen and learn.

This cis-gender man won't be spending any further money on her stuff. Though I'll still enjoy the books and Blu Rays that I have, it will be with a tinge of sadness.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Being trans is shit! "

My take on it is this. Lobbying and campaigning can be rewarding and fulfilling. I cannot say that I have done either. If campaigning and lobbying begins to take a toll on a person's happiness or health then maybe it's best left to others. Not every female has fought for women's lib. Not every man has fought for Father's for Justice. It can be all consuming.

I just play golf...

over a year ago

Being trans is shit!

My take on it is this. Lobbying and campaigning can be rewarding and fulfilling. I cannot say that I have done either. If campaigning and lobbying begins to take a toll on a person's happiness or health then maybe it's best left to others. Not every female has fought for women's lib. Not every man has fought for Father's for Justice. It can be all consuming.

I just play golf... "

I’m glad Marcus Rashford didn’t decide to just play football. The events of this last few months have certainly made me consider what more I can do....

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Being trans is shit!

I just play golf...

I’m glad Marcus Rashford didn’t decide to just play football. The events of this last few months have certainly made me consider what more I can do...."

He did a great job..

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

One can get burned out from lots of activism. Which is why many activists are young people. As I slide into middle age I pick my battles more than I once did.

I'm not trans, but I do have trans friends and acquaintances. Honestly I can barely imagine how difficult it is for them. Just imagine being verbally abused every day for just trying to be yourself. Facing more difficulties getting employment, and apparently soon unable to use public toilets. Currently the hoops that trans people must jump through just to be officially recognised and get a passport (for example) in the name they use are many and often upsetting.

Nobody chooses to be trans for fun. Everything I've heard suggests it's no fun, due 5 in great part to people who hold views like Ms. Rowling's.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well I am not sure the beef is with JK.

It's the HMG who control such matters.

Wise to pick your fights. Fighting every enemy on every front at the same time must be exhausting. Go for the big fish and not the minnows. JK is a minnow

over a year ago

"Well I am not sure the beef is with JK.

It's the HMG who control such matters.

Wise to pick your fights. Fighting every enemy on every front at the same time must be exhausting. Go for the big fish and not the minnows. JK is a minnow"

I agree with you Tom. We need to inhabit our politics, choose those that matter most to us personally and work out how we can progress our cause.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

"One can get burned out from lots of activism. Which is why many activists are young people. As I slide into middle age I pick my battles more than I once did.

I'm not trans, but I do have trans friends and acquaintances. Honestly I can barely imagine how difficult it is for them. Just imagine being verbally abused every day for just trying to be yourself. Facing more difficulties getting employment, and apparently soon unable to use public toilets. Currently the hoops that trans people must jump through just to be officially recognised and get a passport (for example) in the name they use are many and often upsetting.

Nobody chooses to be trans for fun. Everything I've heard suggests it's no fun, due 5 in great part to people who hold views like Ms. Rowling's. "

over a year ago

"One can get burned out from lots of activism. Which is why many activists are young people. As I slide into middle age I pick my battles more than I once did.

Nobody chooses to be trans for fun. Everything I've heard suggests it's no fun, due 5 in great part to people who hold views like Ms. Rowling's. "

over a year ago

I set up Facebook at start of lockdown purely to see job opportunities I needed but it is a very toxic place not sociable at all.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

over a year ago

I obviously cant truly acknowledge how it is and the impact (if that's the right word) it has on your life.

But in fairness there was a massive rebuke of JK Rowling comments by many high profile individuals.

Let's not forget, that because something is said on social media it doesn't mean it's a fact?

And if communities disagree with her stance, we must remember it's her prerogative to believe what she does?

I dont quite buy into the credence we place upon these platforms. We're relying too much on 2 to 3 lines of musing to become influential gospel for the masses.

Can beat a good tut and eye roll when something dumb is posted, then move on.

over a year ago

It's up to her to choose what she posts and doesn't, I don't think she did anything wrong.

over a year ago

She didnt do anything wrong.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Iam.not sure the hysteria is justified ..

It was not the most offensive post

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Iam.not sure the hysteria is justified ..

It was not the most offensive post "

If it damages her career on its own so be it. But the whole cancel culture campaign doesn’t sit right with me. People encouraging others to damage the brand etc is too much.

Let people make their own mind up.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I reckon she is worth a few Bob..probably no car loan or mortgage..

She will ride the storm...probably a millionaire ..

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"I reckon she is worth a few Bob..probably no car loan or mortgage..

She will ride the storm...probably a millionaire .."

Ha ha she’s deffo a millionaire mate and then some.

over a year ago

If people have to stop expressing their opinions in case they offend someone then democracy and freedom of speech is dead.

Im not on twatter, facebook etc and I really couldn't care less what she said. Its her opinion and shes entitled to it, good on her for not being bullied into hiding her real feelings.

over a year ago

Nobody chooses to be trans for fun. Everything I've heard suggests it's no fun, due 5 in great part to people who hold views like Ms. Rowling's.

I obviously cant truly acknowledge how it is and the impact (if that's the right word) it has on your life.

But in fairness there was a massive rebuke of JK Rowling comments by many high profile individuals.

Let's not forget, that because something is said on social media it doesn't mean it's a fact?

And if communities disagree with her stance, we must remember it's her prerogative to believe what she does?

I dont quite buy into the credence we place upon these platforms. We're relying too much on 2 to 3 lines of musing to become influential gospel for the masses.

Can beat a good tut and eye roll when something dumb is posted, then move on. "

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Nobody should be ashamed for expressing an opinion but different world colliding these days

By *osieburnsTV/TS
over a year ago

DIDCOT

"Nobody should be ashamed for expressing an opinion but different world colliding these days"

But also if you give an opinion then you must expect to have you opinion questioned. Why does she has to get involved in something that she knows nothing about and what it's like to be trans ?

The irony of this issue is that it's being fueled by a group of gay women, who fought for year's for equal right's and are now predudished towards trans right's. Who think I dress up to go into women's toilet's to abuse women and children

#TransLifeIsShit

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Nobody should be ashamed for expressing an opinion but different world colliding these days

But also if you give an opinion then you must expect to have you opinion questioned. Why does she has to get involved in something that she knows nothing about and what it's like to be trans ?

The irony of this issue is that it's being fueled by a group of gay women, who fought for year's for equal right's and are now predudished towards trans right's. Who think I dress up to go into women's toilet's to abuse women and children

#TransLifeIsShit"

Indeed.

Why do the privileged get to express an opinion, which can have real knock on effects for the marginalised, and then act like they're the ones discriminated against when they get a response?

That's not how discourse works. You have an opinion. I have an opinion. Both can be expressed.

And in this case this kind of discourse has very real consequences for a group that's already under considerable strain.

I stand with my trans sisters.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I don't take sides.. perhaps all compromise ..

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Problem is, Rowling has said that "one wrong sentence" about 1000 times with 1000 different sentences.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Don't let it spoil anyone's enjoyment..

Not for me .. but lots enjoy

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Problem is, Rowling has said that "one wrong sentence" about 1000 times with 1000 different sentences. "

She has enormous influence over people, including younger people, too. It's awful.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I've no social media interest

By *osieburnsTV/TS
over a year ago

DIDCOT

"Don't let it spoil anyone's enjoyment..

Not for me .. but lots enjoy"

I'd enjoy my life alot more if I did not have to endure discrimination including fisical violence because I'm transgender

over a year ago

Was quiet funny how quickly the millionaire children turned on their creator.

over a year ago

How do you know, then, if you stay off it?

By *osieburnsTV/TS
over a year ago

DIDCOT

"I've no social media interest "

Is this not a form of social media ?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"She has had a bad ride on social media lately. Social media seems to breed hysteria. Apart from this site I stay off it.

How do you know, then, if you stay off it?"

I read and watch the news

over a year ago

if anyone here does like social media and wants to see my naughty twitter.. hmu

over a year ago

"She has explictly stated on several occasions that trans men/women are not real men/women.

This has been going on for several years and the responses she gives show she is unlikely to change her mind at any point in the near future, short of someone sitting her down and spoon feeding it to her.

Agreed.

Do you know what damage it does to my femininity to refer to users of cervical cancer services as "people who menstruate?"

Absolutely none. My gender identity has nothing to do with the fact that I bleed once a month."

Hope not as girls over twelve and over fifty don't

over a year ago

Under twelve correction

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Agreed.

Absolutely none. My gender identity has nothing to do with the fact that I bleed once a month.

Hope not as girls over twelve and over fifty don't "

Give or take.

I can identify as a woman without doing harm to women who aren't assigned female as birth (or men who were, or those outside the binary).

over a year ago

"Was quiet funny how quickly the millionaire children turned on their creator."

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Have respect for opinion..

Dont let it dim your view of her work

Post new Message to Thread