Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Weird Phobias

Jump to newest

By *ohnjones3210 OP   Man
over a year ago

Chester

What are your phobias?

For me, mine isn't particularly weird. I'm terrified of heights.

No rides at fairgrounds, glass elevators, I hate them. Water parks, etc, I just can't seem to climb over a certain height. I hate staircases in flats where you can see through the stairs or over the edge. I don't like bridges where the barrier is low.

My oldest daughter has a weird fear of closed doors. Whenever I leave a room, she makes a point of saying "don't close the door". (I never do anyway?!?)

In my house, this thing happens where if the front and back doors are open, the middle door will slam shut. This seems to make her hysterical. She seems to have it with car doors too. Like if I shut a door, it seems to cause her some sort of anxiety. Weird eh...

An old friend of mine has a fear of leaving her house. If she leaves the house, she feels extremely vulnerable and anxious.

What about you? What weird fears do you have?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Same as you i don't like heights and i have a fear of drowning too

over a year ago

Earwigs. Absolute irrational fear of them.

over a year ago

One of our daughters can’t put a light on in a room if the curtains aren’t closed she hates the thought people can see into our house.

I’m not scared of heights normally I lived in a tower block until I was 18 but ladders freak me out they just never feel safe to me.

By *adbod74Man
over a year ago

Dudley

Heights also, even watching something online can set me spinning

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

Those push along street vacuum cleaners along with the mini ones which supermarkets use...

No idea why but scared of them, will dive into a shop if see one heading towards me, have stood frozen and trapped when there was two coming towards me... I cried and boyfriend at time walked of leaving me as he was embarrassed... we broke up after that!

Even when I’m in my car and spot them I panic and lock the door shut the window...

They suck you up!!

over a year ago

Clowns/dolls/masks

I hate not being able to see someones face and not bè able to identify their features.

Dolls remind me of dead things, I can't even touch one, had these fears since childhood

over a year ago

Chester

"Earwigs. Absolute irrational fear of them."

My mum has that fear too.

over a year ago

Goodbyes, I know it sounds trite, but I mean it sincerely. All my other fears are rational. That one isn't.

over a year ago

Chester

"Heights also, even watching something online can set me spinning"

Yes!!! That also happens to me. Even some computer games can do it.

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

"Clowns/dolls/masks

I hate not being able to see someones face and not bè able to identify their features.

Dolls remind me of dead things, I can't even touch one, had these fears since childhood "

Oh I forgot about clowns! I don’t like those either

over a year ago

Deep dark water.

Even the deep end in pools gives me the chills.

Or under belly of a ship or a boat

over a year ago

Chester

"Those push along street vacuum cleaners along with the mini ones which supermarkets use...

No idea why but scared of them, will dive into a shop if see one heading towards me, have stood frozen and trapped when there was two coming towards me... I cried and boyfriend at time walked of leaving me as he was embarrassed... we broke up after that!

Even when I’m in my car and spot them I panic and lock the door shut the window...

They suck you up!!

"

Hahahahahahahaha! That's funny!

over a year ago

Clowns is probably my biggest one.

I have claustrophobic tendencies but I can cope in lifts now, and I can cope being in the back of the car so it’s not debilitating like it is for some sufferers.

over a year ago

This is a bit irrational, but identical twins!! Two different people should not look identical!!!

over a year ago

I don’t like large enclosed spaces especially if it’s dark too! I once drove up to ikea car park (on the top of the building) just before opening time and seemed to be the only one there. Alarms were going off stating there was a technical problem with the store and to leave! I’ve never crapped myself so much

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

Enclosed places or not being able to breath. I can’t even watch stuff on telly as I start to go into a panic where I can’t breath..... hate being in hot places where I can’t feel a breeze as I start to panic I can’t breath too. (Usually sleep with window open and a fan on!)

over a year ago

Chester

"Clowns/dolls/masks

Dolls remind me of dead things, I can't even touch one, had these fears since childhood "

Yeah, I don't have that fear, but I totally understand it. I think it's the "dead" facial expression. Clowns are fucking weird anyway. A weird thing with a permanent, creepy smile.

By *ngel_vs_devil33Woman
over a year ago

i’ll let you know

Stairs that have gaps (metal staircase), and bridges where you can see through the gaps,

over a year ago

Chester

"Goodbyes, I know it sounds trite, but I mean it sincerely. All my other fears are rational. That one isn't. "

Yes! I used to fear that when I was a child.

over a year ago

Chester

"This is a bit irrational, but identical twins!! Two different people should not look identical!!!"

Hahahaha!

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

"Goodbyes, I know it sounds trite, but I mean it sincerely. All my other fears are rational. That one isn't.

Yes! I used to fear that when I was a child."

My Nan told me, never say goodbye, say see you soon... it’s nicer and you never know when you will bump into someone again

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

Falling is my fear. I'm sure their is some subconscious reason but doesn't change it

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Heights too but only when I'm not in sonething enclosed like a building or rollercoaster. It's not a situation you encounter often so I only discovered it when my dad booked us to go on one of those aerial adventure courses that are like 39ft off the ground. I full on froze and couldn't make myself step out on the rope. Very high balconies can freak me out too.

Other than that, moths. Cripplingly scared of them.

over a year ago

Chester

"Stairs that have gaps (metal staircase), and bridges where you can see through the gaps, "

I have that fear too, but only when the falling distance is greater than say 5m.

over a year ago

Chester

"Heights too but only when I'm not in sonething enclosed like a building or rollercoaster. It's not a situation you encounter often so I only discovered it when my dad booked us to go on one of those aerial adventure courses that are like 39ft off the ground. I full on froze and couldn't make myself step out on the rope. Very high balconies can freak me out too.

Other than that, moths. Cripplingly scared of them. "

I've been to that 'go-ape' thing too. My sister arranged it, we all turned up, and I refused to go on it! No chance I'm going on that.

over a year ago

"Stairs that have gaps (metal staircase), and bridges where you can see through the gaps, "

Bridges freak me out, literally break out in a sweat if I have to drive over one.

My sat nav directed me over the Forth Bridge in Edinburgh once, didn't realise until the last minute, scariest drive ever....Broke out in a sweat and shaking, actually burst into tears when I crossed to the other side.

over a year ago

False teeth they make me heave

over a year ago

Jam doughnuts

over a year ago

"Goodbyes, I know it sounds trite, but I mean it sincerely. All my other fears are rational. That one isn't.

Yes! I used to fear that when I was a child.

My Nan told me, never say goodbye, say see you soon... it’s nicer and you never know when you will bump into someone again "

Childhood fears are irrational I agree. Never managed to shake that one yet though, the others (spiders, the dark) are gone.

Yep I ALWAYS say "see you soon"...

over a year ago

I hate metal objects underwater - e.g. shipwrecks and submarines. I also cringe at the thought of a ship’s anchor hitting the seabed

over a year ago

Germans......

over a year ago

"I hate metal objects underwater - e.g. shipwrecks and submarines. I also cringe at the thought of a ship’s anchor hitting the seabed "

Same!

over a year ago

"Germans......"

Gotta watch out for them... they've had a couple of tries now...

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Heights too but only when I'm not in sonething enclosed like a building or rollercoaster. It's not a situation you encounter often so I only discovered it when my dad booked us to go on one of those aerial adventure courses that are like 39ft off the ground. I full on froze and couldn't make myself step out on the rope. Very high balconies can freak me out too.

I've been to that 'go-ape' thing too. My sister arranged it, we all turned up, and I refused to go on it! No chance I'm going on that."

Mine was the aerial extreme one at Knowsley safari park. I was all excited on the way and then discovered my fear once I had to step out. Physically couldn't make myself do it so ended up doing the kids course 6ft off the ground .

over a year ago

"I hate metal objects underwater - e.g. shipwrecks and submarines. I also cringe at the thought of a ship’s anchor hitting the seabed

Same!"

Glad to hear I’m not alone!

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

"False teeth they make me heave "

I used to be a carer. If I had to help anyone clean their own teeth it used to make me heave, but I was fine with ones I could hold, brush and rinse under running water! Lol Mrs J

over a year ago

"Germans......

"

just wait for the next time.....

over a year ago

"I hate metal objects underwater - e.g. shipwrecks and submarines. I also cringe at the thought of a ship’s anchor hitting the seabed

Same!

Glad to hear I’m not alone!"

I love documentaries but when it’s about sunken ships etc I’m a wreck...

over a year ago

Same!

I love documentaries but when it’s about sunken ships etc I’m a wreck... "

I hear you, I can’t even see pictures, let alone footage

over a year ago

"Germans......

just wait for the next time....."

Na the Germans are fine, it's the French you've gotta keep an eye on...

Annoying neighbours next door... put up a big fence and block out their suns_ine...

I'm totally stealing Al Murray jokes btw

over a year ago

Chester

I've been to that 'go-ape' thing too. My sister arranged it, we all turned up, and I refused to go on it! No chance I'm going on that.

Mine was the aerial extreme one at Knowsley safari park. I was all excited on the way and then discovered my fear once I had to step out. Physically couldn't make myself do it so ended up doing the kids course 6ft off the ground . "

Haha, I could do the kids one.

over a year ago

Needles! And balloons. I've tensed up just typing that!

over a year ago

Same!

I hear you, I can’t even see pictures, let alone footage "

Same! Had a book on the titanic and any page with the sunken titanic on it I can’t look at it! Soooo glad it’s not just me

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Heights dont scare me. Falling off does....

over a year ago

Same!

I hear you, I can’t even see pictures, let alone footage

Same! Had a book on the titanic and any page with the sunken titanic on it I can’t look at it! Soooo glad it’s not just me "

Don’t know if you ever watched Life of Pi - the scene where the ship sinks into the Mariana Trench made me shiver with disgust

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Heights dont scare me. Falling off does...."

Yes this!

over a year ago

Sharks and vast expanses of water

L x

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Sharks and vast expanses of water

L x"

Sharks?

over a year ago

"Sharks and vast expanses of water

L x

Sharks?"

Yep, the freak me right out

L x

over a year ago

I dont like having blood taken, I'm fine with needles. Having jabs ect but when I see those little tubs filling up I feel myself start to panic and faint.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Bullshitters make me freak

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

Judgemental twats make me freak

By *amfabMan
over a year ago

Luton

Rollercoasters scare the poop out of me

over a year ago

Dolls. I have little porcelain dolls of Jack and Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas and it took me quite a while before I could have them facing out towards the room at night. They're all nicely sealed in their box too.

Looking out of upper storey windows out at night. Never liked that since I read Salem's Lot as a teenager. The last time I read that I wouldn't walk home from work at night by myself for a week.

over a year ago

Horses

The sea

Spiders

Balaclavas

Commitment

over a year ago

Dermal piercings and those ear tunnels. Can't look at them

over a year ago

Not fear but an irrational hatred of photos of men with their tongues sticking out.

Also hate anyone putting the tips of their fingers together, it’s like metal being scraped against metal.

over a year ago

Chester

"I dont like having blood taken, I'm fine with needles. Having jabs ect but when I see those little tubs filling up I feel myself start to panic and faint. "

Oh yeah! I don't like that either.

over a year ago

Chester

"

Commitment "

That's interesting. I'm similar.

over a year ago

"

Commitment

That's interesting. I'm similar."

Which I actually think is rational, but, you know, we all have our own perceptions.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I have a fear of cars waiting for me to cross the road, i will actually sometimes pretend that i dont want to cross so that i can wait till all the cars have gone and then cross over

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

Clowns ,heights ,balloons, thunderstorms, fireworks, confined spaces or lots of people ,raw meat .

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Goodbyes, I know it sounds trite, but I mean it sincerely. All my other fears are rational. That one isn't. "

pretty much the same don’t want to loose the few folk left. Everything else is pretty trivial.

over a year ago

Skin things. I can’t even look at growths or those horrendous pimple popping videos or anything like that.

Even weird textured things like coral makes me skin itch!!

over a year ago

Face paint.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Chalk

over a year ago

IV drips freak me out too. I've had loads administered myself and spent months in hospitals but I can't bring myself to look at them in the skin.

Will happily sit for 8 hours straight getting inked though and watch blood being taken/piercings

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

For me, bridges.

However, my brother is afraid of dwarves!

over a year ago

What are your phobias?

I have a few..and after reading the pavement sweeper one...I got that too now lol.

Balloons...no idea why. I remember freaking out at Anita Greens 5th birthday party when we all had to burst balloons.

Birds...I was given a budgie as a kid and hated it. Would set if free in the garden...return from school to theyd bought an identical replacement...this went on for weeks lol.

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

A very common quute a few of my friends have it..

Its in public places when they have alot of friends around them they just cant seem to buy them a drink even though all of these friends have brought him one they literally freeze on the spot its uncanny, alot have to leave this public place before this phenomenon accures, soo strange because 10 minutes before they were bragging about there beemer and how fast it goes...

over a year ago

I'm claustrophobic that's about it

over a year ago

I am terrified of heights

Also spiders

over a year ago

There are things I have a strong dislike of but wouldn't call them a phobia such as heights, deep open water, roller coasters.

My phobias are butterflies, moths and spiders.

Her x

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

cockroaches and all other bugs that have six legs and can fly! also find out in one of my holidays that I scared from snakes when they get in the house

over a year ago

O has a phobia of balloons terrified they will explode when blowing them up..or should we say inflating them dont want people thinking got the demolition charges attached to the balloons..

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Polystyrene the type that things come packed it. I hate it. Have even had to get others to unpack things for me at times.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Don't have any.

By *ltrMan
over a year ago

sheffield

Jelly sad I know but just

The thought of it yuck comes from seeing my nan

eating jelled eels

over a year ago

Stupid phobia really, but I have one of butter beans..... Blimey, even typing that has made me go all cringy and cold...

over a year ago

Chester

Wow! There are some phobias on here! Haha!

By *bcums3Couple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

I (female) suffer from trypophobia

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

o/p similar to me...heights.