Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

parking spaces

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am curious as to what if anything you would do in this situation

Where I live comprises of two blocks of flats with an allocated parking space to each flat

The numbers on the spaces do not correspond to the flats but I know which space is mine

I dont drive but often have visitors who do (well did before covid lol) and I would like them to be able to use my spot

Am i right to think it annoying that someone else regularly parks there

Whether I drive or not surely it is my spot and covered by the service charge I pay

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If it annoys you, will you be more or less annoyed if people tell you that you are right or wrong?

over a year ago

Dunno if you’re right or wrong but we have sort of a drive way outside our house, isn’t quite a driveway but it’s definitely for us. We used to have people parking there (our street is a brand new build and has 12 car parks) and we would always ask them to move, despite not having a car yet. Someone used to park in the space beside it and refused to move, despite him having a space outside his house and all the car parks. Didn’t want anyone ‘spoiling his car’ (it’s a fucking corsa mate, it’s shite). Our upstairs neighbours had to park in the car park inside of their space because he wouldn’t move!

Thankfully he cheated on his girlfriend and got kicked out. (I love his girlfriend, and she always deserved better)

So, I get where you’re coming from

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"I am curious as to what if anything you would do in this situation

Where I live comprises of two blocks of flats with an allocated parking space to each flat

The numbers on the spaces do not correspond to the flats but I know which space is mine

I dont drive but often have visitors who do (well did before covid lol) and I would like them to be able to use my spot

Whether I drive or not surely it is my spot and covered by the service charge I pay"

If everyone has a space and they are using yours who is using theirs? You can talk to them or let the management company know up to you really

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Is the specific space allocated to you or is it just a given that every flat has a space but they're not specifically allocated?

If the former, as I suspect, then can understand the annoyance, but can also understand why someone else might use it if they don't think it's being used regularly and parking is limited.

If it's the same person, perhaps a friendly word to say "I don't mind you using it but if I have a visitor coming and let you know can you leave it free please?" would be a good compromise?

over a year ago

You do pay for it so they really should ask first. Just have a chat with them about it and say you dont mind them using it now and again but when you have visitors you will be using it.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Is the specific space allocated to you or is it just a given that every flat has a space but they're not specifically allocated?

If the former, as I suspect, then can understand the annoyance, but can also understand why someone else might use it if they don't think it's being used regularly and parking is limited.

If it's the same person, perhaps a friendly word to say "I don't mind you using it but if I have a visitor coming and let you know can you leave it free please?" would be a good compromise?"

its the former - each flat has a specified allocated numbered space which i assume each flat owner knows which is theirs

it may be that they dont know that it is not their space (and there are plenty of other spaces)

trying to figure out if should let live or have a word though worry about bad feelings being generated

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"Is the specific space allocated to you or is it just a given that every flat has a space but they're not specifically allocated?

If it's the same person, perhaps a friendly word to say "I don't mind you using it but if I have a visitor coming and let you know can you leave it free please?" would be a good compromise?

its the former - each flat has a specified allocated numbered space which i assume each flat owner knows which is theirs

it may be that they dont know that it is not their space (and there are plenty of other spaces)

trying to figure out if should let live or have a word though worry about bad feelings being generated"

If there are always plenty of other spaces and those other spaces are just as close as your space is then I'd say live and let live is the way to go.

If not, a polite and friendly word along the lines I suggested would seem to be the best option

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

trying to figure out if should let live or have a word though worry about bad feelings being generated"

Do they live there, if yes who uses their space or do they have two cars, if it's the later then they really should ask especially if it's part of the management fee otherwise you are subsidising them

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

More information and likely communication needed.

How do people know who owns use of which spot? Could it be improved?

Who's using your spot? Start communicating. If others have similar issues, push collectively for changes too.

Traffic cones are often used to reserve a place, so they may help further too, if you have a scheduled need. But better to solve the cause, rather than just symptoms.

over a year ago

"I am curious as to what if anything you would do in this situation

Whether I drive or not surely it is my spot and covered by the service charge I pay"

you would need to check with your landlord or if own the parking may of been part of the sale but this is rarely the case with blocks of flats, most flats you tend rent the space or there permits.

but if dose belong to you ask for the charge for the parking to be removed and save your self some money

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan
over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

There must be a good reason why parking spaces such as these aren’t labelled as to which flat it is allocated to.

Anyway, they shouldn’t park on it without permission. It’s for the flat owner to decide who parks there.

over a year ago

If you don't have a car, don't worry about it. Let your visitors find their own space

over a year ago

It's your space - leave a polite notice on the windshield, maybe?

That said, I tend to travel to meets on the motorbike. Easy parking, and the leathers seem to go down well usually

over a year ago

It’s your spot, car or no car if you’re paying for it nobody else had any business parking there

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Bolt one of those locking bollards into it.

Post new Message to Thread