Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

marcus rashford-legend

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

with all whats been going on lately with a lot of hate and anger going around its great too see marcus rashord fighting for such a worthy cause.footballers have often been given a bad rep and got slated quite bad at the start of the outbreak and often the media fail to report most of the generous things many of them do.

p.s im not a united fan

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

I read his open letter to mps yesterday and I must admit that it made me quite emotional. The part where he said that as a black man from a low income family he could have become just another statistic really struck a chord with me. He deserves a huge amount of respect for what he’s trying to do

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Great to hear something positive and he has highlighted not just the inequality that exists and peoples struggles, but also that he has risen from humble beginnings.

Not a UTD fan whatsoever but certainly a Rashford fan!

over a year ago

I have mixed opinions on this, it is a nice gesture but for people like him and Gary Lineker who earn millions a year it seems a bit hypocritical that they expect the government to fork out this extra expense on top of everything else.

over a year ago

"I have mixed opinions on this, it is a nice gesture but for people like him and Gary Lineker who earn millions a year it seems a bit hypocritical that they expect the government to fork out this extra expense on top of everything else.

"

i believe marcus rashford has already donated thousands to help the situation.we are one of the biggest econmies in the world and in this day and age our government shouldnt be allowing children to starve and rely on a footballer to deal with the problem

over a year ago

"I have mixed opinions on this, it is a nice gesture but for people like him and Gary Lineker who earn millions a year it seems a bit hypocritical that they expect the government to fork out this extra expense on top of everything else.

"

its sad that you see feeding children that are going without food simply as an extra expense

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

He's raised 20 million for this cause.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Heaven forbid we should want to live in a society where the very poorest are not left hungry..

It's a very good thing that he's doing and the longer the tories dither over what is in real terms a drop in the ocean the worse they look..

And they have just u turned on it so well done Marcus Rashford and the others pushing for it..

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/16/boris-johnson-faces-tory-rebellion-over-marcus-rashfords-school-meals-call

By *reatformeatWoman
over a year ago

my own bubble

Heaven forbid we should want to live in a society where the very poorest are not left hungry..

It's a very good thing that he's doing and the longer the tories dither over what is in real terms a drop in the ocean the worse they look..

And they have just u turned on it so well done Marcus Rashford and the others pushing for it.. "

Totaly agree , a lot of people need help however small and its good to see somebody rich and famous doing something for a good cause . Trouble is with footballers even when they do something nice they get slated . Dammed if they do dammed if they dont they cant win.

over a year ago

its sad that you see feeding children that are going without food simply as an extra expense"

I just don't believe there are that many starving children with childhood obesity in low income families being twice as likely.

I have friends who are on low incomes and entitled to vouchers and they seem to manage fine... kids have the latest technology, clothes and well fed etc.

Plus how long before the vouchers for food are the only payment for low income families and they no longer give those families monthly cash allowances?

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Seems like Boris has backtracked

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Nothing wrong in admitting you got things wrong

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Another supporter of his goal. It's great what he's doing, where we have the infrastructure in place and just need to get the government to do the right thing, helping vulnerable people unlike themselves. He's helped to bring others on board but Johnson is a poor thinker and callous. It would make a big difference for families who are likely to struggle increasingly over the summer.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/06/20 13:19:11]

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

its sad that you see feeding children that are going without food simply as an extra expense"

Astounding isnt it?

over a year ago

its sad that you see feeding children that are going without food simply as an extra expense

I just don't believe there are that many starving children with childhood obesity in low income families being twice as likely.

I have friends who are on low incomes and entitled to vouchers and they seem to manage fine... kids have the latest technology, clothes and well fed etc.

Plus how long before the vouchers for food are the only payment for low income families and they no longer give those families monthly cash allowances?

"

what you believe and what are the facts are two different things.unicef claim that 19% of children in britain are'nt getting enough food

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Dig out the UN report into poverty in this country,may give a bit more information rather than just friends experiences..

over a year ago

£15 a week per child to just make sure that ALL children have thier basic needs met through the holidays. For some parents they rely on free school meals through no fault of thier own, but to not support them feels like punishing the children... The next generation. As a society we need a little compassion. The total cost for supplying vouchers through the summer is a drop in the ocean compared to hs2 or trident etc.

What is more important feeding kids or a over budget train line.

Well done Marcus... Just need you to see sense and move to the wolves..

over a year ago

Excellent example of leadership from the young man.

By *ornishfetMan
over a year ago

St Ives

Great to see a high profile footballer get behind a great initiative and be a proper role model for people to aspire too. Well done Marcus Rashford

over a year ago

what you believe and what are the facts are two different things.unicef claim that 19% of children in britain are'nt getting enough food"

Are those 19% on low incomes or are we talking in general?

I don't think making sure children are fed is a bad thing, I grew up in a low income family with an alcoholic parent who spent more on booze then food- so I have some understanding of struggle before I'm ripped to bits.

The point being the families don't get help over the summer holidays, so what has changed? Most low income families have not had financial change.

over a year ago

what you believe and what are the facts are two different things.unicef claim that 19% of children in britain are'nt getting enough food

I don't think making sure children are fed is a bad thing, I grew up in a low income family with an alcoholic parent who spent more on booze then food- so I have some understanding of struggle before I'm ripped to bits.

The point being the families don't get help over the summer holidays, so what has changed? Most low income families have not had financial change.

"

But over the summer they have to find child care which if there is no close family will be an issue. So income over the summer goes down, on top of the added cost of extra food to buy.

If we think is a good idea to support families though term time, why would you not extend the support through the holidays?

over a year ago

"

19% of children that are in low income households

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

"

If they don't normal pay for kids meals through the holidays then fair enough, but these are difficult circumstances for lots of people so a bit of help for the people who are struggling wouldn't hurt.

I am guessing if they are on low income and have been furloughed which means less income then they would be struggling even more now.

over a year ago

Dunno if it’s the same elsewhere but for the last year in Scotland, we’ve had ‘lunch cafes’ open in schools. Not every school has one, but over the holidays anyone (and that is anyone, doesn’t matter if you have kids, if you don’t attend that school, if you’re well off or whatever) can go in and get their lunch, have a play and some snacks all for free. I worked at a few, they were really popular and brilliant

over a year ago

"

But over the summer they have to find child care which if there is no close family will be an issue. So income over the summer goes down, on top of the added cost of extra food to buy.

If we think is a good idea to support families though term time, why would you not extend the support through the holidays?"

Again this happens every summer and people manage. What happens in September, when there are new uniforms to buy or its coming up to Christmas. There is always something, will they be taking it out of the council or education pot to fund it?

I have sympathy with people who struggle, I'm not a baby eating monster but sometimes you wonder if this will make it worse in the long run.

I.e- How long before the typical right wing view of people with low incomes should only have vouchers for food because they shouldn't be allowed anything attitude?.

Will this be the start of that as other benefits are then pulled?.

over a year ago

Well done to Rashford but isn’t this something that a MP is elected for and even paid for and voted for by the people.

Same as Col Tom and the NHS.

Political people are just not cutting the mustard in making this world better.

Again well done Marcus.

T

over a year ago

"

If we think is a good idea to support families though term time, why would you not extend the support through the holidays?

Again this happens every summer and people manage. What happens in September, when there are new uniforms to buy or its coming up to Christmas. There is always something, will they be taking it out of the council or education pot to fund it?

I have sympathy with people who struggle, I'm not a baby eating monster but sometimes you wonder if this will make it worse in the long run.

I.e- How long before the typical right wing view of people with low incomes should only have vouchers for food because they shouldn't be allowed anything attitude?.

Will this be the start of that as other benefits are then pulled?. "

how do you know people manage?do you have any facts too back this up or is it simply what you think or because people you know manage ok so therefore it is'nt an issue elsewhere?

By *lbatross77Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Can't say highly enough about Rashford. Great guy, from a Liverpool fan!

over a year ago

Sadly I agree as no doubt most Premier players and managers hardly pay much tax.

"

over a year ago

"

Isn't that what Government is for?....to ensure that in a modern western, wealthy, economy that people do have food, heating and an education? Its disgusting that so many people live in poverty and rely on food banks. What sort of society thinks that is ok?

over a year ago

Sadly I agree as no doubt most Premier players and managers hardly pay much tax.

"

Most of the Cabinet are millionaires. How many of them do you think use family trusts etc to do the same as the footballers you're mentioning?

over a year ago

Most of the Cabinet are millionaires. How many of them do you think use family trusts etc to do the same as the footballers you're mentioning?"

i know just winds me up when people expect footballers to pay for stuff when it isnt there place however Marcus put his on money into this as well as raise over £20m for this cause as well

over a year ago

Isn't that what Government is for?....to ensure that in a modern western, wealthy, economy that people do have food, heating and an education? Its disgusting that so many people live in poverty and rely on food banks. What sort of society thinks that is ok?"

Food banks are not okay, I never implied they were. Isn't that a generalised sweeping statement that people who have these vouchers go to food banks?

Everytime I have passed a foodbank the people are generally older with a cigarette in their hand, but I'm not going to suggest that's the main user.

Anyway I started by saying I had mixed opinions but obviously Boris has back tracked now, so I think we know the solution of vouchers is resolved.

I did state it was a nice gesture by Marcus but that seems to have been overlooked.

over a year ago

Most of the Cabinet are millionaires. How many of them do you think use family trusts etc to do the same as the footballers you're mentioning?

i know just winds me up when people expect footballers to pay for stuff when it isnt there place however Marcus put his on money into this as well as raise over £20m for this cause as well "

It's good to know Marcus has raised a substantial amount of money for the cause.

over a year ago

"I read his open letter to mps yesterday and I must admit that it made me quite emotional. The part where he said that as a black man from a low income family he could have become just another statistic really struck a chord with me. He deserves a huge amount of respect for what he’s trying to do"

Same.

He just rocks

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

Everytime I have passed a foodbank the people are generally older with a cigarette in their hand, but I'm not going to suggest that's the main user.

"

oh no, not being poor whilst also smoking? Fuck 'em then

By *xyzptlk088Man
over a year ago

Galway

"

You know that rashford himself pays in excess of 80k per month in taxes and he donates time and money to worthy causes. He could stop this extra expense if he so wished.

over a year ago

You know that rashford himself pays in excess of 80k per month in taxes and he donates time and money to worthy causes. He could stop this extra expense if he so wished. "

That's good of him and a good adult response unlike above you.

I'm glad Marcus made it out of the poverty circle.

I got it wrong with regards to Marcus but soon as you see a headline with a celebrity, I cant help but automatically feel like it's hypocritical.

By *andyladMan
over a year ago

Hereorthere

"

You know that rashford himself pays in excess of 80k per month in taxes and he donates time and money to worthy causes. He could stop this extra expense if he so wished. "

this exactly as well as the cash he has donated toward NHS charities

Post new Message to Thread