Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mocking people queueing for shops yesterday

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I saw a lot of comments sneering and mocking the people queueing for Primark and Sports Direct and other shops yesterday, it was entirely predictable where it was coming from. Good on them for getting out there again and spending money, fuck knows the economy needs it.

What’s your view, did you look down your nose at them Or you glad to see it ?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

It’s reminiscent of those that get up at 3 to go to the next Boxing Day sale.

I wouldn’t dream of doing it but if you can be arsed, crack on.... that said I’m dying for a new pair of work pumps and some new Bridget Jones knickers

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Glad to see it. Need to get back to some sort of new normal.

Schooling, shopping, shagging, spending money!

Reply privately

over a year ago

While I'm not dedicated enough to camp out, I will definitely be in the shops the day they open up here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had a proper whinge about it on fb (well, one status) not because of people going out, but because so many were just ignoring social distancing round town and the amount of people who bumped into me with shopping bags while I was waiting for the bus just got me all grumpy

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am dreading it.. have to get some bday supplies this week.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Queuing for Primark!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s reminiscent of those that get up at 3 to go to the next Boxing Day sale.

I wouldn’t dream of doing it but if you can be arsed, crack on.... that said I’m dying for a new pair of work pumps and some new Bridget Jones knickers "

I think it’s different this time, with the lengths of time the shops have been shut and the economy is on its arse. I’ll never understand if the mentality of getting up early for Boxing Day sales though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark! "

What’s wrong with that ?

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Didn't even give it a 2nd thought. I'll be out shopping for non essentials once I'm happy to leave my bubble and go to "crowded" areas; it's a little early for me yet. Will stick to cycling in the country side and social distanced walks with my mate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good for them if they want to get out and about, the economy certainly needs it, but masks should be mandatory inside shops in my opinion. Other countries have taken this stance.

Reply privately

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Shops up here remain closed but i will probably stand in a queue if need be. Hoping there will be some good sales on.

Reply privately

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"I saw a lot of comments sneering and mocking the people queueing for Primark and Sports Direct and other shops yesterday, it was entirely predictable where it was coming from. Good on them for getting out there again and spending money, fuck knows the economy needs it.

What’s your view, did you look down your nose at them Or you glad to see it ?"

. Why would people look down their noses at people shopping in Sports Direct it where I buy my trainers , t shirts and polo shirts.As for Primark not where I would buy everyday wear clothes I prefer Matalan or Peacocks I certainly wouldn’t look down my nose at someone who does.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I wouldn't queue but there's a lot of looking down noses going on lately. It's more about feeling superior I think.

I like Primark, I've had some really good things from there but I hate queuing so I'll wait until the rush has died down a bit to go.

I also shop in Lidl, Aldi and Iceland. I've heard some really nasty things said about people who shop in those places, Iceland especially

Reply privately

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Not really a big shopper and certainly not interested in standing in clothes shop queues especially when it was such a glorious day, there’s normally nothing much of interest when you get inside anyway lol, especially if the sales are on, I couldn’t think of anything worse to queue for hours, rummage through things in hope of finding something and leave with nothing. When I want something I will go but hopefully by then things will have settled down a little but for now I will leave it to those who enjoy shopping

Reply privately

over a year ago

Most people I know are of 'actually Lidl and Aldi are great' camp, especially for meat and cheeses.

I don't turn my nose up at any shop in particular, but Mike Ashley deserves ire.

There's also the question around fast fashion, how damaging it is for the environment, and how ethical it is. You could also say this about electronics and other things ofc.

The film Greed from last year is worth a watch on the subject, essentially a darkly comic take on Philip Green from Michael Winterbottom with Steve Coogan.

Reply privately

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I don't like to queue for anything ever, but I know sometimes it's unavoidable.

For me and this occasion it's very avoidable but it's completely up to people to assess what they need and how they should spend their time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I saw a lot of comments sneering and mocking the people queueing for Primark and Sports Direct and other shops yesterday, it was entirely predictable where it was coming from. Good on them for getting out there again and spending money, fuck knows the economy needs it.

We just cannot get why anyone would look down on someone for anything at all?

Why on earth look down on people and make snide comments just because they have chosen to shop?

We thought that this was a free world!!

Reply privately

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I’m all for it, people are back working again and have their jobs, a little bit of normality is good for people. It always seems to be the lower end shops that get sneered at more. I think yesterday was a bit more manic as sports direct had 50% off for nhs staff x

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Fair play if they want to go shopping. I ain't got a problem with it, they've been couped up and want to get out and get some new stuff.

Personally I couldn't be arsed to queue don't wouldn't be for me.

I did see on the news, a bunch of people squashed together to get in a store at opening, that was a bit worrying.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its one thing to queue for essentials at a supermarket but quite another to queue for non essential items..but unfortunately its going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future, so maybe we should just suck it up and get on with it..

Queuing is so british anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good for them, I personally shop online and have done for years because I like spending insanely unreasonable time picking my clothes.

It's great things are going back to some sort of normality

Reply privately

over a year ago

Recent news would suggest we would be extremely lucky to avoid a second wave of covid anyway !

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its one thing to queue for essentials at a supermarket but quite another to queue for non essential items..but unfortunately its going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future, so maybe we should just suck it up and get on with it..

Queuing is so british anyway "

People were queueing for clothes, not speedboats and hot tubs.

Reply privately

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We need to go to Primark as the kids have grown & their jeans are ridiculously short. Am putting it off for now though

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Fair play if they want to go shopping. I ain't got a problem with it, they've been couped up and want to get out and get some new stuff.

Personally I couldn't be arsed to queue don't wouldn't be for me.

I did see on the news, a bunch of people squashed together to get in a store at opening, that was a bit worrying."

Me too, the same clip was shown over and over. Meanwhile on local news channels footage of people at various locations, waiting patiently at two meters apart while wearing masks was shown.

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

"Its one thing to queue for essentials at a supermarket but quite another to queue for non essential items..but unfortunately its going to be the new normal for the foreseeable future, so maybe we should just suck it up and get on with it..

People were queueing for clothes, not speedboats and hot tubs. "

So you're saying that speedboats and hot tubs aren't essential?

Reply privately

By *ofusplusCouple
over a year ago

Limerick

Delighted to see it. We were in Primark ("Penneys" in Ireland) yesterday evening, no queuing, masks on. Each to their own I say - Mrs.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Glad to see it. The economy is on its knees and clearly peoples emotional well being is being challenged (though seeing adverts every ad break which tell me I'm depressed and lonely kind of make me feel depressed and lonely).. We need to be ultra cautious though with spreading the virus and the selfishness of those who think they are immune or seem oblivious to any responsibility is frustrating. I certainly wouldn't sneer at anyone helping to get the country back on its feet.

Reply privately

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Moelfre

I didn't like the tone of the reports, looking down on people particularly the working class seems to be something we do well at the moment.

Having said that who the fuck would queue to go in sports direct?!

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Queuing for Primark! "

So?

Been queuing for waitrose, booths and aldi the last few weeks..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't look down at them

But 4.30am to wait for opening times, is ridiculous!

Hopefully people will still shop for the forthcoming months - just so they can take on extra staff!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark!

So?

"

You need food to survive. You don't need very reasonably priced t-shirts and jeans with weirdly shallow pockets that won't fit your phone in them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I found it funny how many people actually did you up yesterday at the Trafford Centre I drove past it and you could see the queues

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I didn't like the tone of the reports, looking down on people particularly the working class seems to be something we do well at the moment.

Having said that who the fuck would queue to go in sports direct?!"

Some people really need massive mugs with sports direct on and Donnay golf balls.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ll wait until the queue dies down we shouldn’t mock it apart from those silly beings outside the Nike shop No common sense there!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I had a proper whinge about it on fb (well, one status) not because of people going out, but because so many were just ignoring social distancing round town and the amount of people who bumped into me with shopping bags while I was waiting for the bus just got me all grumpy "

Completely agree with this.

OP

It seems all the efforts and sacrifices that most have been doing, even lives lost in saving others could be undone by quite a few idiots who suddenly can't control themselves and who can't do something in any form of moderation.

So they all push and shove to get into a store to get a new pair of trainers (most already have a few pairs) ignore social distancing (one particular scene of all BAE whom we've been told are one of the most vulnerable group) as if catching and passing on the virus is no longer important, but saving £30 on a new pair of shiny trainers is of higher priority.

If they displayed respect for life, respect for all the restrictions others have been going through to save them and others, then I'd have no issue.

The way many carried on was as if it was the last toilet roll they would see in months to come. Some people will never learn.

Reply privately

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"You need food to survive. You don't need very reasonably priced t-shirts and jeans with weirdly shallow pockets that won't fit your phone in them."

It’s about having the choice, and the freedom. They are opening for a reason. It’s not about survival it’s about trying to get on with life.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I had a proper whinge about it on fb (well, one status) not because of people going out, but because so many were just ignoring social distancing round town and the amount of people who bumped into me with shopping bags while I was waiting for the bus just got me all grumpy

OP

It seems all the efforts and sacrifices that most have been doing, even lives lost in saving others could be undone by quite a few idiots who suddenly can't control themselves and who can't do something in any form of moderation.

So they all push and shove to get into a store to get a new pair of trainers (most already have a few pairs) ignore social distancing (one particular scene of all BAE whom we've been told are one of the most vulnerable group) as if catching and passing on the virus is no longer important, but saving £30 on a new pair of shiny trainers is of higher priority.

If they displayed respect for life, respect for all the restrictions others have been going through to save them and others, then I'd have no issue.

The way many carried on was as if it was the last toilet roll they would see in months to come. Some people will never learn.

"

That one scene was shown over and over. I saw lots of footage of people queuing responsibly but nobody has commented on them

Reply privately

over a year ago

People were queueing for clothes, not speedboats and hot tubs. "

Your point being?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I know what you mean titch its pretty much the same everywhere at the moment. Hopefully everyone will ease up when the excitement of being allowed out becomes normal again lol. Ps could you take my temperature

Reply privately

over a year ago

Your point being? "

You think clothes aren’t essential ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I had a proper whinge about it on fb (well, one status) not because of people going out, but because so many were just ignoring social distancing round town and the amount of people who bumped into me with shopping bags while I was waiting for the bus just got me all grumpy

OP

That one scene was shown over and over. I saw lots of footage of people queuing responsibly but nobody has commented on them"

There were others too shown on different channels.

Yes there were those queueing responsibly and no one has an issue with that, but it wasn't one store.

Even the past months you may have noticed, queueing responsibly outside and then inside the supermarkets people trying to get up you ass to get something off the shelf in front of you.

It certainly wasn't and isn't one isolated situation.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

OP

That one scene was shown over and over. I saw lots of footage of people queuing responsibly but nobody has commented on them

Yes there were those queueing responsibly and no one has an issue with that, but it wasn't one store.

Even the past months you may have noticed, queueing responsibly outside and then inside the supermarkets people trying to get up you ass to get something off the shelf in front of you.

It certainly wasn't and isn't one isolated situation."

I haven't seen any queuing that doesn’t comply with social distancing but from day one I've noticed people getting too close to me inside supermarkets and in the street. Yesterday we were sitting in a vast open space yet a man walked within two feet of us. My point really is that far more people are observing regulations than ignoring them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We are humans and humans (well most humans) need to interact - shopping is a big way of social interaction and it has been taken away from people for months.

Primarni is a store that 1000s visit daily so it was only going to be natural that people wanted their 'fix' as soon as they were able to.

As for the lack of social distancing, it was all a bit of a joke, but what did people expect to happen?

Plus, does this mean my flippen hairdresser and nail technician can open earlier #firstworldgirlproblems

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark!

So?

"

I wouldnt queue for Primark if they were giving away free clothing...buy cheap buy twice ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark!

What’s wrong with that ? "

Nothing if that's where you shop ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cheap knickers are like Crystal Meth to some people!

Reply privately

over a year ago

OP

I haven't seen any queuing that doesn’t comply with social distancing but from day one I've noticed people getting too close to me inside supermarkets and in the street. Yesterday we were sitting in a vast open space yet a man walked within two feet of us. My point really is that far more people are observing regulations than ignoring them. "

I don't think I said or implied that wasn't the case.

But I guess the point you're emphasiang is that it doesn't matter that there are those who don't as I guess it won't effect anyone.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark!

So?

I wouldnt queue for Primark if they were giving away free clothing...buy cheap buy twice ..."

They come in packs of 5

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

No drama with the queues whatsoever.

Was a little bit amused by people camping out though.

I think people needed a sense of normality so fair play if they wanted to go shopping.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

OP

I haven't seen any queuing that doesn’t comply with social distancing but from day one I've noticed people getting too close to me inside supermarkets and in the street. Yesterday we were sitting in a vast open space yet a man walked within two feet of us. My point really is that far more people are observing regulations than ignoring them.

I don't think I said or implied that wasn't the case.

But I guess the point you're emphasiang is that it doesn't matter that there are those who don't as I guess it won't effect anyone.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one "

I think that's a good compromise

Reply privately

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Glad to see it.

I joined the queues for IKEA, never been more than 45 minutes to get in and as long as my phone is charged there is plenty to keep myself occupied

Reply privately

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

I didn’t give them much of a thought. I was working yesterday, so couldn’t have gone shopping even if I wanted to!

I have decided to stay in for June regardless if the restrictions being lifted. I’ve only been out a handful of times since lockdown and I’m in no rush to get back out there.

I’ve got my facemasks to hand and hand sanitizer in my bag along with some gloves if I do go out.

Hubby thinks I’m over the top, but I’d never forgive myself if I caught something and passed it on, so I’ll sit in my little bubble and wait till I feel it’s safe again!

Plus I’m so blonde I’ll totally forget to keep my distance or hug a friend at the first sight of them. So best keep me locked away for the moment

Mrs J x

Reply privately

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

Saying that I was dragged to ikea the other week. Everyone was respectful and I did feel totally safe

Reply privately

over a year ago

Each to their own I guess!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Your point being?

You think clothes aren’t essential ? "

I wasn't knocking it...

But as you can buy clothing from some supermarkets and also online its not desperately essential...

Our first minister doesn't think its a good idea at all... he would much rather wait til the Welsh economy is on its arse before he allows non essential shops to open

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I didn't like the tone of the reports, looking down on people particularly the working class seems to be something we do well at the moment."

Yes. I bet a lot of people are champing at the bit for more John Lewises to open, but they're not going to get the same ire as those going to Primark.

I don't blame people for desperately clinging to some sign that normality might be returning.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I bet it's a brilliant atmosphere. Loads of people queueing after all being locked up for months.

The massive queues snaking round car parks or along streets. Kind of like queuing for a gig. Everyone desperate to get inside, all there together for the same thing.

These days I get excited when it's Tesco day.

Reply privately

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

With how much shite the posties and couriers have been delivering through lockdown it’s a wonder anyone actually needed anything when the shops opened up!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have terrible anxiety in crowded places so wouldn't be interested in going out when it's chaotic! but as long as people are following guidelines I don't see an issue. I think some people just like to turn their nose up at people who shop at these low cost places.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have terrible anxiety in crowded places so wouldn't be interested in going out when it's chaotic! but as long as people are following guidelines I don't see an issue. I think some people just like to turn their nose up at people who shop at these low cost places. "

Sorry this is random but your dress is gorgeous!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I had a proper whinge about it on fb (well, one status) not because of people going out, but because so many were just ignoring social distancing round town and the amount of people who bumped into me with shopping bags while I was waiting for the bus just got me all grumpy "

I saw a snippet on tv, a friend lives in the city, and he had a chops at me about people bumping into him ,.. oh and cyclists. All frightfully serious, and I'd love to give you a indepth and insightful opinion on it .. but ....gosh you look good in pink.!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have terrible anxiety in crowded places so wouldn't be interested in going out when it's chaotic! but as long as people are following guidelines I don't see an issue. I think some people just like to turn their nose up at people who shop at these low cost places.

Sorry this is random but your dress is gorgeous!! "

Thank you! I've got the same one in blue too and they both get so many compliments.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You need food to survive. You don't need very reasonably priced t-shirts and jeans with weirdly shallow pockets that won't fit your phone in them.

It’s about having the choice, and the freedom. They are opening for a reason. It’s not about survival it’s about trying to get on with life."

I mean, it is a *bit* about survival. We do still have the second highest Covid-19 infection rate in Europe.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Different needs to mine but equally appropriate

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing for Primark!

So?

I wouldnt queue for Primark if they were giving away free clothing...buy cheap buy twice ..."

This... not missing the cheap non-essential stores!

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

No queuing for anything here from Saturday onwards

Reply privately

By *OXO2018Couple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Can't say I'm that bothered.

I've started using supermarket clothing brands must better not much price difference and amazing quality.

MrsXOXO

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"You need food to survive. You don't need very reasonably priced t-shirts and jeans with weirdly shallow pockets that won't fit your phone in them.

It’s about having the choice, and the freedom. They are opening for a reason. It’s not about survival it’s about trying to get on with life.

I mean, it is a *bit* about survival. We do still have the second highest Covid-19 infection rate in Europe. "

Yes.

Balance of safety, necessity, mental health. We all cope in different ways. And we need to do the best we can in the face of an inadequate central response.

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

I haven't been to those sort of shops yet. But I need to and soon.

My kids need clothing at the end of the day and that is soon to be a priority due to recent growth spurts. So I don't judge those queuing and see no reason why others should. You don't know someone's story. Why not just be nice and help make lockdown a better situation.

Just. Be. Nice.

If you can't be nice keep schtum. (I don't always manage this lately but I do sincerely try)

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good Mocking people queueing for shops yesterday everyone

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There is a correlation here

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fashionably late to the party but yes it was nice to see the shops open. Your right the economy needs that kick start

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

At whom?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is a correlation here "

Sorry to hear that, hope it clears up

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Why would anyone... Lambs to the slaughter

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn’t myself but I have no strong feelings about anyone that did. If people are happy then good on them.

Just let people enjoy things

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I dont look down my nose at anybody ever

Reply privately

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

[Removed by poster at 16/06/20 23:54:15]

Reply privately

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Queuing for a clothes shop fair enough but queuing and causing traffic chaos for a coffee or McDonald's...that is a joke

Reply privately

By *iss pleasuringWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near

Queuing all night for the likes of primark £1 knickers was just hideous

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Some people have more money than sense...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fucking hate the lot of them.

Bring back lockdown

Reply privately

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"I didn’t myself but I have no strong feelings about anyone that did. If people are happy then good on them.

Just let people enjoy things "

this

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Queuing all night for the likes of primark £1 knickers was just hideous "

Sorry to hear that, hope you found a bargain

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Never set foot in a Primark.. I imagine it's piled high, sells cheap and lasta a day ?

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Some people have more money than sense..."

Or maybe just children that need clothes?

Jeez...

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs "

Yes but lockdown or not children do have a habit of growing..

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs "

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Mend and make do !

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs "

Tom, children grow even in lockdown

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Mend and make do !"

Tell that to a pre teen whose clothes painfully ride up her fanny as she's grown. I'm guessing you are not a parent. They can't live in pjs indefinitely

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Tom, children grow even in lockdown "

Yes....mend and make do.. have you never seen the Sound of Music ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you work in a town centre and have been used to peace and quiet, it’s bloody horrible having all the chavs swarm into town again.

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

[Removed by poster at 17/06/20 00:12:11]

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Yes....mend and make do.. have you never seen the Sound of Music ?"

Ok you try and squeeze into a pair of pants a size or two too small. Then you can judge. And you will also be singing just like julie Andrews too. Till then stop being judgemental

Reply privately

over a year ago

Goodness people be kind. There were queues because people have to queue. The amount of people stood outside were the amount you normally find in primark at normal capacity. It is a good story for the media to hype so what can you say.

In terms of quality I have been stood in a Bond Street store before when a regular came in with her £15 Primark coat that was the copy of their £600 version. There was very little different in the quality.

Many manufacturers import now from China and sew the buttons on or add the zippers so that they can fulfill a category of "Made in Italy" or the like.

And make do and mend is easy if you know how to make do and mend.

The economy needs to start getting a boost from VAT. Workers returning so a reduction in furlough payments.

People need to start getting a boost from some sense of normality returning.

I don't doubt numbers of cases will rise again because of shops reopening but until you take your foot off the break you don't know what is going to happen. That may sound harsh and it isn't meant to. However the amount of people not social distancing before Monday was bad enough so who knows.

We are all entitled to an opinion on here but there is no need in our community to be spiteful to each other.

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Ok you try and squeeze into a pair of pants a size or two too small. Then you can judge. And you will also be singing just like julie Andrews too. Till then stop being judgemental"

Well said, kids can’t help growing or choose when they decide to have a spurt

Reply privately

By *iss pleasuringWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near

"Queuing all night for the likes of primark £1 knickers was just hideous

Sorry to hear that, hope you found a bargain "

I wouldn't know I've never ever shopped in primark. It's all cheap shite

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Goodness people be kind. There were queues because people have to queue. The amount of people stood outside were the amount you normally find in primark at normal capacity. It is a good story for the media to hype so what can you say.

In terms of quality I have been stood in a Bond Street store before when a regular came in with her £15 Primark coat that was the copy of their £600 version. There was very little different in the quality.

Many manufacturers import now from China and sew the buttons on or add the zippers so that they can fulfill a category of "Made in Italy" or the like.

And make do and mend is easy if you know how to make do and mend.

The economy needs to start getting a boost from VAT. Workers returning so a reduction in furlough payments.

People need to start getting a boost from some sense of normality returning.

I don't doubt numbers of cases will rise again because of shops reopening but until you take your foot off the break you don't know what is going to happen. That may sound harsh and it isn't meant to. However the amount of people not social distancing before Monday was bad enough so who knows.

We are all entitled to an opinion on here but there is no need in our community to be spiteful to each other. "

Yeaaahhhhh!!

Reply privately

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I wouldn’t off and I’m not sure we should go back to the way things were but I can see why people did it.

Reply privately

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Ok you try and squeeze into a pair of pants a size or two too small. Then you can judge. And you will also be singing just like julie Andrews too. Till then stop being judgemental

Well said, kids can’t help growing or choose when they decide to have a spurt "

Perhaps we could ask fellow fabbers who judge to break out a sewing machine to help prevent the rest of us having to risk the nation queuing simply to clothe our children who have growth spurts how very inconvenient of them to do that really!

Reply privately

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"Some people have more money than sense..."

And it is their choice on how they spend it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't see them as I'm at work 9 - 6.30. Even though I would get a discount.

Reply privately

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Well said, kids can’t help growing or choose when they decide to have a spurt

Perhaps we could ask fellow fabbers who judge to break out a sewing machine to help prevent the rest of us having to risk the nation queuing simply to clothe our children who have growth spurts how very inconvenient of them to do that really! "

I heard you can’t get a sewing machine for love nor money and even if you could my attempt would be a disaster lol

On a serious note I would say clothes shopping is a necessity for children, I know I wouldn’t have been happy with a 3’’ gap between the bottom of my trousers and tops of my shoes plus shopping helps to get the economy going. Nobody should be judging anyone as no doubt we will all need something at some point, just hope everyone is careful out there if it means joining the masses.

Have a good day all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Mend and make do !"

Is that what you do?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally it’s not for me, then again nor is a day trip to a crowded beach.

I’ll just bide my time and wait, it all calms down in the end.

And I bloody hate queuing!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

What's laughable about those queues is how social distanced they are...

Markings on the floor 1m from each other but then you have groups standing on one spot so essentially everyone is packed like sardines.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What's laughable about those queues is how social distanced they are...

Markings on the floor 1m from each other but then you have groups standing on one spot so essentially everyone is packed like sardines."

Shops open = pandemic over

Reply privately

over a year ago

Neither, I was too busy working.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Need clothes?

We are in lockdown ffs

Ok you try and squeeze into a pair of pants a size or two too small. Then you can judge. And you will also be singing just like julie Andrews too. Till then stop being judgemental"

I am not being judgemental.. in The Sound of Music, Maria made playclothes for all of the children out of old curtains...

Doe, a deer, a female deer... Lalalala

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What's laughable about those queues is how social distanced they are...

Markings on the floor 1m from each other but then you have groups standing on one spot so essentially everyone is packed like sardines.

Shops open = pandemic over "

The government actions are a joke to be sure

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

As long as self-distance don't have a problem. People kick-starting the economy can only be good. Retail certainly need all the help they can get.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I get that children grow. Obviously they need new clothes eventually. I just don't understand why you have to physically visit a shop to achieve that.

I've bought clothes online during lockdown. Hell, that's how I buy *all* my clothes. Even pre-lockdown, I resented having to wade through the crowds! Surely now it carries the very real risk of contracting a lethal virus and taking it home to your family, you'd want to avoid that where possible?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get that children grow. Obviously they need new clothes eventually. I just don't understand why you have to physically visit a shop to achieve that.

I've bought clothes online during lockdown. Hell, that's how I buy *all* my clothes. Even pre-lockdown, I resented having to wade through the crowds! Surely now it carries the very real risk of contracting a lethal virus and taking it home to your family, you'd want to avoid that where possible? "

I've pretty much checked what feels like every website and you will find very few online that are as cheap as Primark, and even then there usually isn't a huge choice. I'd say H&M and Asda are the most affordable online options but even then, still more expensive than Primark.

I tried to order my little one some pyjamas and vests a few months ago as she was growing out of her clothes, and everywhere was out of stock or too expensive, so I had to pay more than I usually would as she really needed them. I'm so lucky that I'm in a situation where I can afford those extra pounds, so many people aren't.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get that children grow. Obviously they need new clothes eventually. I just don't understand why you have to physically visit a shop to achieve that.

I've bought clothes online during lockdown. Hell, that's how I buy *all* my clothes. Even pre-lockdown, I resented having to wade through the crowds! Surely now it carries the very real risk of contracting a lethal virus and taking it home to your family, you'd want to avoid that where possible?

I've pretty much checked what feels like every website and you will find very few online that are as cheap as Primark, and even then there usually isn't a huge choice. I'd say H&M and Asda are the most affordable online options but even then, still more expensive than Primark.

I tried to order my little one some pyjamas and vests a few months ago as she was growing out of her clothes, and everywhere was out of stock or too expensive, so I had to pay more than I usually would as she really needed them. I'm so lucky that I'm in a situation where I can afford those extra pounds, so many people aren't.

"

Makes sense, I guess. I do feel sorry for anyone who feels forced into that situation, though. It's a pretty grim choice to have to make.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People do what they have to do. It's just some seem to be targets for ire.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People do what they have to do. It's just some seem to be targets for ire."

I don't know, while some of the people queuing are doing what they *have* to do, I'm willing to bet a good number of them are doing what they *want* to do. Pandemics don't just end because people get bored of them.

It's just frustrating. I stuck to the rules and - now they've gone out of the window - I'm following the science. I've barely left the house for three full months. Now, because our incompetent overlords have lost control of the situation, people are just milling around like hyperactive toddlers, touching everything and breathing on one another.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not fussed what others do if they're responsible about it.....

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"People do what they have to do. It's just some seem to be targets for ire.

I don't know, while some of the people queuing are doing what they *have* to do, I'm willing to bet a good number of them are doing what they *want* to do. Pandemics don't just end because people get bored of them.

It's just frustrating. I stuck to the rules and - now they've gone out of the window - I'm following the science. I've barely left the house for three full months. Now, because our incompetent overlords have lost control of the situation, people are just milling around like hyperactive toddlers, touching everything and breathing on one another."

I don't disagree. But I think responsibility goes both ways. Not everyone is able to follow the science and should be able to trust the government. They've been failed.

And we're seeing shitting on McDonald's and Primark, not the middle class equivalents of those who are probably equipped to do better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's just frustrating. I stuck to the rules and - now they've gone out of the window - I'm following the science. I've barely left the house for three full months. Now, because our incompetent overlords have lost control of the situation, people are just milling around like hyperactive toddlers, touching everything and breathing on one another.

I don't disagree. But I think responsibility goes both ways. Not everyone is able to follow the science and should be able to trust the government. They've been failed.

And we're seeing shitting on McDonald's and Primark, not the middle class equivalents of those who are probably equipped to do better."

This is true. I should clarify: my frustration is not limited to any particular retailer or their customers. I just think the whole situation has been spectacularly mismanaged. It's clear how this is going to turn out and I can already see who's going to get the blame and it makes me equal parts sad and angry.

Reply privately

By *ohnjones3210Man
over a year ago

Chester

I looked down my nose at them!

3hr wait to buy some clothes?!? I'll just wait a week.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And we're seeing shitting on McDonald's and Primark, not the middle class equivalents of those who are probably equipped to do better.

This is true. I should clarify: my frustration is not limited to any particular retailer or their customers. I just think the whole situation has been spectacularly mismanaged. It's clear how this is going to turn out and I can already see who's going to get the blame and it makes me equal parts sad and angry."

Me too. Believe me, me too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've bought clothes online during lockdown. Hell, that's how I buy *all* my clothes. Even pre-lockdown, I resented having to wade through the crowds! Surely now it carries the very real risk of contracting a lethal virus and taking it home to your family, you'd want to avoid that where possible? "

I need to see the clothes to assess the size. Women's clothes sizing is shit. I wear clothes in 4 different sizes. The labelled size means nothing.

Kids clothes are the same. You need to try them on or at least see them to be able to assess which size to buy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm laughing at the notion that someone NEEDS to queue at Primark for over an hour vs just ordering online or for example queueing for food.

It's irrelevent if they have the right to do it. I'm questioning the need for brand new clothes on the basis that it's worth that much risk and that much wasted time.

Maybe there is some mental health benefit to wandering around a clothing store. I'm not such the entrance price is worth it given the alternatives.

And of course if it's their right to shop, it's my right to laugh at them doing so.

No different than queueing for hours for an iPhone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Entirely predictable ' where it's coming from??

Let people crack on doing what they wish to as long as it's not adversely affecting anyone. Not for me...you've been able to order online throughout this pandemic albeit with fewer options.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I will not queue in any shop apart from a fish and chip shop ...

I look at it like this..

I have money to spend and it's their responsibility to serve me or I am off somewhere else where they will serve me quicker...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm more concerned about the schools getting back, they should take priority.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm laughing at the notion that someone NEEDS to queue at Primark for over an hour vs just ordering online or for example queueing for food.

It's irrelevent if they have the right to do it. I'm questioning the need for brand new clothes on the basis that it's worth that much risk and that much wasted time.

Maybe there is some mental health benefit to wandering around a clothing store. I'm not such the entrance price is worth it given the alternatives.

And of course if it's their right to shop, it's my right to laugh at them doing so.

No different than queueing for hours for an iPhone."

But why would you want to laugh at them?

What's wrong with people giving their own time to queue up and actually Not everybody can O

A afford to shop online.

Primark doesn't have an on line offering.

I think you should question as to whether you are laughing or mocking.

To be honest in my opinion neither is acceptable just for people wanting a bit of normal.

Reply privately

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

If they want to do it , let them .. doesn’t bother me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm more concerned about the schools getting back, they should take priority."

Its the parents that didn't want to send them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday "
Im in education and teach some very disadvataged kids, some who realt need to be in lessons.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"If they want to do it , let them .. doesn’t bother me "

And the consequences of sardine city affect everyone in a pandemic..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday Im in education and teach some very disadvataged kids, some who realt need to be in lessons. "

As do I but like I said above vulnerable children have been able to go to school the entire time but less than 12% have been sent.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday Im in education and teach some very disadvataged kids, some who realt need to be in lessons. "

Fuck lessons.. we are in a pandemic..

Chillax dude....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday Im in education and teach some very disadvataged kids, some who realt need to be in lessons.

Chillax dude...."

Take your own advice Tom.

Reply privately

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

"If they want to do it , let them .. doesn’t bother me

And the consequences of sardine city affect everyone in a pandemic.."

But standing around in parks and demonstrations is fine ... yes ?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The kids are more resilient than the panic merchants suggest.. it's just a holiday Im in education and teach some very disadvataged kids, some who realt need to be in lessons.

Chillax dude....

"

I think the kids should go back in September.. if there is no second spike

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

But standing around in parks and demonstrations is fine ... yes ? "

I've heard some public health experts suggest that racial inequality is a bigger public health threat than the pandemic.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

But standing around in parks and demonstrations is fine ... yes ? "

Well I have said I think the demos are selfish..

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I've heard some public health experts suggest that racial inequality is a bigger public health threat than the pandemic."

Well who are we to question experts ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Chillax dude....

I think the kids should go back in September.. if there is no second spike "

But what good will that do because we are almost certainly not going to get another spike until the next cold and flu season which starts in October.

Reply privately

By *oldyoudown41Man
over a year ago

caledonian

Well I have said I think the demos are selfish.. "

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Chillax dude....

But what good will that do because we are almost certainly not going to get another spike until the next cold and flu season which starts in October. "

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Chillax dude....

But what good will that do because we are almost certainly not going to get another spike until the next cold and flu season which starts in October.

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?"

I think you probably have yes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like to shop in Iceland. Getting a flight is a problem at the moment

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why mock? People need clothes. People right now, need to feel good about themselves and yes we need the economy kickstarted. If they were safe D-ing, them fair enough

S

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Chillax dude....

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?

I think you probably have yes."

Well a cold is one thing, influenza is another and Covid is another entirely. Some medical people say the virus is more stable in cold weather.. and some predict a winter spike..

I say medical people because most of the so called experts cannot agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's funny how we don't have threads mocking people every year who queue for the harrods or next sales on boxing day.

Mention primark and the snobs start mocking!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"It's funny how we don't have threads mocking people every year who queue for the harrods or next sales on boxing day.

Mention primark and the snobs start mocking!"

It's rather gauche.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Chillax dude....

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?

I think you probably have yes.

Well a cold is one thing, influenza is another and Covid is another entirely. Some medical people say the virus is more stable in cold weather.. and some predict a winter spike..

I say medical people because most of the so called experts cannot agree "

Thats exactly what I said.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Fools and money are easily parted..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Chillax dude....

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?

I think you probably have yes."

There are easy was to have the kids back, even if this resulted in part time. Of course the education is important but also the social factors. On top of this you have very vunerable students, SEND students, students who have no access to laptops or computers to complete work. These are not just children, what about the older students like GCSE, and FE students.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Chillax dude....

Cold and flu season...

Have I missed something?

I think you probably have yes. There are easy was to have the kids back, even if this resulted in part time. Of course the education is important but also the social factors. On top of this you have very vunerable students, SEND students, students who have no access to laptops or computers to complete work. These are not just children, what about the older students like GCSE, and FE students. "

In my local school they gave laptops to the underprivileged and the parents sold them..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why would you want to queue for hours to buy the shite they sell at primark

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Why would you want to queue for hours to buy the shite they sell at primark "

It's the herd mentality.. only way to get herd immunity..

It's a modern day chicken pox party..

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Chillax dude...."

How long should we fuck lessons for? And the working parents who now have to stay at home to care for the children fuck their work for? And go without their income to support their families for? What a silly comment.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Chillax dude....

How long should we fuck lessons for? And the working parents who now have to stay at home to care for the children fuck their work for? And go without their income to support their families for? What a silly comment. "

Better alive and poor than be the richest person in the graveyard..

Chillax dude

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Why would you want to queue for hours to buy the shite they sell at primark "

My daughter shops at primark. Because its what she can afford.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Why would you want to queue for hours to buy the shite they sell at primark

My daughter shops at primark. Because its what she can afford. "

Shop half as often and maybe afford better stuff...

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Shop half as often and maybe afford better stuff..."

That's making a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know Tom.

There have been times in my life when Primark is all I could afford and someone telling me to shop half as often would not have helped

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There have been times in my life when Primark is all I could afford and someone telling me to shop half as often would not have helped"

Yes .. sorry Mod

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

There have been times in my life when Primark is all I could afford and someone telling me to shop half as often would not have helped

Yes .. sorry Mod "

That was a personal comment not a mod one

Reply privately

By *arbellsWoman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Shop half as often and maybe afford better stuff..."

Maybe they needed something then and there. I have brought very expensive clothes which hasbt lasted as long and some primark jumpers have lasted years.

I definitely don't judge people who are spending money in shops, the economy needs it! But videos of people on Oxford Street or Bicester village not taking any notice of social distancing are idiots!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Maybe they needed something then and there. I have brought very expensive clothes which hasbt lasted as long and some primark jumpers have lasted years.

I definitely don't judge people who are spending money in shops, the economy needs it! But videos of people on Oxford Street or Bicester village not taking any notice of social distancing are idiots! "

Well I think they are being a bit cavalier personally.. it not only affects them potentially but their familiesfriends and loved ones

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let them be. Bigger problems.

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"Let them be. Bigger problems. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

If someone wants queue and shop then why not, maybe after being in lockdown they just need some normality or something different to make them feel better or cheap, new clothes for the kids/ themselves. As long as they are keeping safe then good on them. I will wait but that's my own choice. We are in a crap situation and all need a release.

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"If someone wants queue and shop then why not, maybe after being in lockdown they just need some normality or something different to make them feel better or cheap, new clothes for the kids/ themselves. As long as they are keeping safe then good on them. I will wait but that's my own choice. We are in a crap situation and all need a release. "

Where's my ring?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If someone wants queue and shop then why not, maybe after being in lockdown they just need some normality or something different to make them feel better or cheap, new clothes for the kids/ themselves. As long as they are keeping safe then good on them. I will wait but that's my own choice. We are in a crap situation and all need a release.

Where's my ring?"

What time does Primark open again?

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"If someone wants queue and shop then why not, maybe after being in lockdown they just need some normality or something different to make them feel better or cheap, new clothes for the kids/ themselves. As long as they are keeping safe then good on them. I will wait but that's my own choice. We are in a crap situation and all need a release.

Where's my ring?

What time does Primark open again? "

No

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Once again, it's just really unnecessary to look down our noses. People have had a really difficult time.

Reply privately

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Love everyone

Reply privately