Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Primark...fashionista or fashion polluter

Jump to newest

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

Primark...I just dont get the excitement for it reopening or why people shop there in the first place.

I appreciate some shop their out of financial necessity.

But I also don't think it good "value for money"

How is an £8 shirt that doesn't last 12 months

better than £20 from a mainstream retailer that looks and feels more comfortable. And last 2+ years.

Women maybe it's a different experience for you...

please educate me to the ways of primarni

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

I don’t like primark either! In early 2000s I’d get my holiday bits from there bikinis etc.

Now I don’t even step foot in the shop, it’s ill fitting, doesn’t last and full of tat

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I like it..

Im actually wearing a t shirt i bought there over 2 yrs ago that's still going strong..

Its cheap and cheerful

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I haven't found anything I like in their for years, apart from a bedding set. My daughter loves it, and I don't mind that it's cheap and cheerful. Teens change their style often!

Neither of us would queue up for it though.

over a year ago

I love Primark. I don't work and don't have much money so I need to shop at places that are affordable. I'd rather have six new pairs of pyjamas and three new dresses for £45 rather than one dress and one set of pyjamas.

It's also great for my little one who grows out of her clothes so quickly. I don't have the money to buy more expensive clothes that she will wear for a month or two.

I've had some in my wardrobe that I've worn to death and they still look lovely! I've also had stuff fall apart but I've had that with other high street shops too.

I'd love to be able to afford to go for something a little more luxurious, but it's just not possible most of the time and I look pretty good in Primaek clothes so I'm thankful for places that don't charge a fortune.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I get some of my basics there, and they last well enough compared to pricier alternatives. They're not as nice a fit etc, but it doesn't matter for housework or errands.

over a year ago

Any high st shop is a fashion polluter. Several collections per seasons... fuelling consumerism.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Any high st shop is a fashion polluter. Several collections per seasons... fuelling consumerism. "

Yes. From within a broken system it's difficult to make truly ethical choices. (I'm not claiming any superiority here)

over a year ago

I was trying to find a documentary I watched long time ago by Stacey Dooley about Fashions dirty secrets.. not available on BBC anymore but if anyone can find it worth watching.. this seems similar though: https://youtu.be/GprVaAVPEI8

By *pmsldCouple
over a year ago

kettering

"Primark...I just dont get the excitement for it reopening or why people shop there in the first place.

better than £20 from a mainstream retailer that looks and feels more comfortable. And last 2+ years.

please educate me to the ways of primarni"

Simple. People like to buy things. Value isnt in how long it lasts now, it's how cheap can it be so I can buy somthing else.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm still wearing a blouse I bought from Primark 20 years ago

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I buy a lot of my clothes from Primark. I would much rather get a look and feel for What I'm buying than take a guess online.

I think Primark's clothes are far better than some rubbish available online.

I also enjoy buying female clothes in person.

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

"I'm still wearing a blouse I bought from Primark 20 years ago"

Primarks been around for 20years?

I thought it started in Ireland. Didn't know they had been around that long.

I bought a coat once there because I got in the rain and it was as cheap/expensive as the £25 golf umbrella in another shop.

It lasted 2 months before it started to fall apart. I would have given it to charity but that felt cheeky.

Maybe the women's clothes are different?

over a year ago

I’ve bought a few bits for the kids there once but overall no, I don’t like it at all. Quality is crap and there’s nothing I like in there.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Primark and McDonalds always bring out the snarky comments.

Quality is decent for the price. Kids stuff is good. Decent licenses. Good for essentials like socks etc too.

That being said, I did prefer it years ago, don't think it's as good now. Been going to Penney's ever since I can remember.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I'm still wearing a blouse I bought from Primark 20 years ago

Primarks been around for 20years?

I thought it started in Ireland. Didn't know they had been around that long.

I bought a coat once there because I got in the rain and it was as cheap/expensive as the £25 golf umbrella in another shop.

It lasted 2 months before it started to fall apart. I would have given it to charity but that felt cheeky.

Maybe the women's clothes are different? "

50+.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Primark and McDonalds always bring out the snarky comments.

"

Yes. I find it in poor taste.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't know how much worse, if at all, that they are than any other main brand. Its useful but I dislike shopping and definitely busy shops, so won't be there for a while.

We need to protect our planet whatever the brand that is selling stuff. I'd not trust prestige brands to be much different nor better for impoverished countries and citizens in general. The poisoning, destruction waste and abuse are a general symptom of our lifestyle and active disinterest from our so-called leaders.

By *reya73Woman
over a year ago

Whitley Bay

I could happily live without Primark. Like all high street shops they probably have a huge carbon footprint as a fast fashion business.

I can see why people shop there but I fully don't understand overnight queuing to get in!

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Primark...I just dont get the excitement for it reopening or why people shop there in the first place.

please educate me to the ways of primarni"

If all you've got is a tenner then you take the £8 shirt and know it'll cost you more in the long run. When you've got no money life becomes horribly more expensive. At least in Primark you can take the cheap option but still feel fashionable, that your lack of money isn't being highlighted by the clothes you're wearing.

Primark wasn't around when I was a kid, but if it had been then that's where my clothes would've come from. If your kids are growing out of clothes in a heartbeat what does it matter if they don't last? Instead I had hand-me-downs and I'd have sold my soul to have any piece of clothing that wasn't at least ten years old and didn't highlight the fact we had no money.

Leaving aside the environmental concerns of fast fashion, Primark offers people with limited means a chance to have fun with clothes and express themselves through what they're wearing. My hand-me-downs offered neither, they were hideously functional. Surely that has to be some sort of improvement?

Primark is an easy target. I've never shopped there (guessing they wouldn't have much to fit me if I tried!) but I'd not judge anyone who did.

I do think the queues today were mental, but they were just as mental queuing the same amount of time to get into Lush or John Lewis or Nike or Harrods!

over a year ago

Great for fast growing children, but I dont shop there for myself

By *vcarolTV/TS
over a year ago

kilmarnockish

Everyone has there own personal choices as to shopping. There is a lot of snobbery and labelism going on , and I’m guilty of that too.

I never used to shop in Primark, and now I do. Simply it’s cheaply priced. The quality is in most cases perfectly adequate, and sometimes good value for the money.

Putting clothes aside, cosmetics is one area where I’d put them as a go to shop. Yes there’s better quality- but on the whole, 9/10. Especially when it comes to the clones of the sometimes 10x the price originals.

By *arroness NikkiWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Only occasionally shop there but it’s great for basic stuff.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

The excitement of it opening is the power of choice being returned to the customer, we want normality back and browsing and shopping gives a huge satisfaction in these times, add into that the a large amount of people actually like their clothes, equals humongous queues.

Yes I shop in there as well ??

over a year ago

I like it. My sons have grown out of almost everything over the last 3 months. I'll be there as soon as my local one opens to re stock their wardrobes.

I also love it for dance tights, cheap and cheerful treats for me and pj's.

I'm not a clothes snob

over a year ago

"Everyone has there own personal choices as to shopping. There is a lot of snobbery and labelism going on , and I’m guilty of that too.

I never used to shop in Primark, and now I do. Simply it’s cheaply priced. The quality is in most cases perfectly adequate, and sometimes good value for the money.

Putting clothes aside, cosmetics is one area where I’d put them as a go to shop. Yes there’s better quality- but on the whole, 9/10. Especially when it comes to the clones of the sometimes 10x the price originals."

Was just about to say the same about their cosmetics. Some of the skin care is great too.

over a year ago

please educate me to the ways of primarni

If all you've got is a tenner then you take the £8 shirt and know it'll cost you more in the long run. When you've got no money life becomes horribly more expensive. At least in Primark you can take the cheap option but still feel fashionable, that your lack of money isn't being highlighted by the clothes you're wearing.

Primark wasn't around when I was a kid, but if it had been then that's where my clothes would've come from. If your kids are growing out of clothes in a heartbeat what does it matter if they don't last? Instead I had hand-me-downs and I'd have sold my soul to have any piece of clothing that wasn't at least ten years old and didn't highlight the fact we had no money.

Leaving aside the environmental concerns of fast fashion, Primark offers people with limited means a chance to have fun with clothes and express themselves through what they're wearing. My hand-me-downs offered neither, they were hideously functional. Surely that has to be some sort of improvement?

Primark is an easy target. I've never shopped there (guessing they wouldn't have much to fit me if I tried!) but I'd not judge anyone who did.

I do think the queues today were mental, but they were just as mental queuing the same amount of time to get into Lush or John Lewis or Nike or Harrods!"

Exactly this

over a year ago

Primark are great. They fit a market, they allow peoole to buy new clothes at low prices and they bring people to the high street

By *atEvolutionCouple
over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Perhaps something is wrong from both ends of the shopping spectrum . . .

Blue denim Summer Shorts Primark £14.00 with a good quality feel.

Blue denim Summer Shorts Levi £50.00 with a good quality feel.

Primark too cheap and maybe Levi to expensive?

I shop for what I like and Primark is always on the hitlist for a look. I have many clothes from all levels of costs and brand and they all fall apart in mostly the same ways. I have a sewing machine so I usually fix the things I'd like to keep.

I'm betting many of the top brands and lower brands share the same manufacturer anyway.

over a year ago

A lot of people like to change their wardrobe frequently so it doesn't need to last....don't get all high and mighty about the planet!

I like to look smart on occasion but generally wear my clothes to destruction..so I don't shop there.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Joining the forces at 15yo I learned how to look after clothing and be smart, something which has remained with me throughout my life. I have seen fashion change many times but never followed the trends, prefering to stick with nice suits.

I buy shirts and shoes and underwear from Primark and have found them perfectly adequate and reasonable quality. You don't have to spend a lot of money to look smart!

I would never consider buying clothing which had advertising for some designer plastered all over it for all to see that I had more money than sense!

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I really like Primark. It’s cheap and current. I enjoy taking my daughter and letting her choose her own clothes and it’s also good for cheap clothes for my son for nursery days. Some love it, some hate it. I love it

over a year ago

I don't like primark, I find their clothes ill-fitting.

I prefer to buy more expensive pieces that will last a long time, I've been the same size since I was a teenager so it is never a waste.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Ultimately it's down to all of us. If we stop buying the clothes stop being made.

I'm in no position to judge, I have a huge wardrobe of clothes (many from Primark). I buy second hand where possible and always recycle the things I don't need any more either by donating or by repurposing. I did nearly buy some of my own stuff back from a charity shop once though

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

"A lot of people like to change their wardrobe frequently so it doesn't need to last....don't get all high and mighty about the planet!

I like to look smart on occasion but generally wear my clothes to destruction..so I don't shop there."

High and mighty about the planet?

I like the environment around me to healthy...what's the point of looking good in an irradiated wasteland?

I've also seen the human cost of 3rd world production. Meeting a factory clothing worker who lives on less than £1 to house feed cloth and raise their children has a lasting humbling effect.

Asia has fantastic independant tailors and they are my first port of call when I'm there.

Nothing they have made me has broken, worn out yes after years.

I always give them a healthy tip and the transaction feels so much better than fast fashion.

I do know remember prefer my ex wearing primak lingerie to expensive stuff.

Lots of interesting opinions

over a year ago

"

Perhaps something is wrong from both ends of the shopping spectrum . . .

Blue denim Summer Shorts Primark £14.00 with a good quality feel.

Blue denim Summer Shorts Levi £50.00 with a good quality feel.

Primark too cheap and maybe Levi to expensive?

I shop for what I like and Primark is always on the hitlist for a look. I have many clothes from all levels of costs and brand and they all fall apart in mostly the same ways. I have a sewing machine so I usually fix the things I'd like to keep.

I'm betting many of the top brands and lower brands share the same manufacturer anyway.

"

Sewing is one skill I regret not possessing. I get attached to my clothes and will wear my favourite pieces to death. Thank God for friends with some manual skills.

I'm sure there is a happy medium. I usually buy in sales.

Post new Message to Thread