Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wonder why they never pull down..

Jump to newest

By *icentious OP   Couple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Auschwitz.

Perhaps it is a memetic memorial of something that was wrong.

There was every excuse to blow it up.

And the there is wisdom.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It is the only concentration camp to be included onto the UNESCO World Heritage list...

It is important for people to remember..

As people keep saying you can't change history...

By *orbidden eastMan
over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

Just put it this way no matter how bad the past. if you didn’t have it you wouldn’t see the future

over a year ago

I’ve been to Poland, specifically to visit Auschwitz, never knew there were 3 parts to it.

I’ve spent 16 yrs in the military and I’ve travelled the world and served in many conflicts overseas and seen some truly horrific and barbaric things, but very few things have left me so lost for words than my visit and education of what occurred so many years ago in Poland and indeed the other camps the Nazi regime had.

For those who deny the Holocaust, all I would say is take a trip and then tell me “it never happened”.

This is one place and I’m sure there are many others around the world, where they should be preserved as a reminder of mans truly abhorrent actions that shouldn’t be repeated.

By *ptowncoupleCouple
over a year ago

Sutton

"I’ve been to Poland, specifically to visit Auschwitz, never knew there were 3 parts to it.

I’ve spent 16 yrs in the military and I’ve travelled the world and served in many conflicts overseas and seen some truly horrific and barbaric things, but very few things have left me so lost for words than my visit and education of what occurred so many years ago in Poland and indeed the other camps the Nazi regime had.

For those who deny the Holocaust, all I would say is take a trip and then tell me “it never happened”.

This is one place and I’m sure there are many others around the world, where they should be preserved as a reminder of mans truly abhorrent actions that shouldn’t be repeated. "

Well said!

By *irm hand LukeMan
over a year ago

Berkshire/West Oxfordshire

"I’ve been to Poland, specifically to visit Auschwitz, never knew there were 3 parts to it.

This is one place and I’m sure there are many others around the world, where they should be preserved as a reminder of mans truly abhorrent actions that shouldn’t be repeated. "

What a well written and thought provoking comment. Thank you.

over a year ago

"It is the only concentration camp to be included onto the UNESCO World Heritage list...

As people keep saying you can't change history..."

Personally I think it's far more important than that, history should always be studied and taught in schools, no matter how horrific or unpalatable it was, because then you learn not to make the same mistakes.

over a year ago

Whoops..missed the last word in this title. Thought it was a thread about people who can't pull..more up my street lol

By *onglegs888Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

There is a very well worded sign/plaque at the start of Auscwitz..... those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Oh look!

Today's false equivalence.

Nice try, but nobody is suggesting memorials or buildings be pulled down.

They (the Germans) did, however, pull down statues of Hitler. Were they "deleting their history"?

over a year ago

"It is the only concentration camp to be included onto the UNESCO World Heritage list...

As people keep saying you can't change history...

Personally I think it's far more important than that, history should always be studied and taught in schools, no matter how horrific or unpalatable it was, because then you learn not to make the same mistakes."

Sorry i don't understand.. its more important than what I've said ..that its important to remember

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Auschwitz.

And the there is wisdom."

The same reason they dont place a statue of Jimmy savile at great ormond st

Auschwitz is a museum not a memorial

Statues are considered respected memorials

I should suggest we consistently assess who we admire and why

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

[Removed by poster at 15/06/20 21:27:02]

over a year ago

"Oh look!

Today's false equivalence.

Nice try, but nobody is suggesting memorials or buildings be pulled down.

They (the Germans) did, however, pull down statues of Hitler. Were they "deleting their history"?"

Not deleting it no, ashamed of it yes.

But then the same could be said of Great Britain, if you look at our history, there’s plenty to be ashamed of.

What’s important is that we teach our younger generations of the historical fuck ups that mankind has inflicted on his fellow man, in the slightly crazy hope that history will not repeat itself.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"Auschwitz.

And the there is wisdom.

The same reason they dont place a statue of Jimmy savile at great ormond st

Auschwitz is a museum not a memorial

Statues are considered respected memorials

I should suggest we consistently assess who we admire and why

"

In the same way that it is unthinkable to have a statue depicting Hitler in Germany, it should be similarly unthinkable that we have statues lauding white supremacists directly responsible for enslaving, brutalising, maiming and killing those they felt to be racially inferior here.

By *andyladMan
over a year ago

Hereorthere

The Jewish community at the time up to now have demanded it never destroyed. As said by others already if you don't remember past errors you never learn from them. Whitewashing things doesn't make problems go away

over a year ago

Yeah you can't surely go pulling historic buildings down . . Sorry I'm just thinking out loud , the pyrimids, valley of the kings, built by slaves right would they be considered fare game,

Post new Message to Thread