Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any qualified electricians about?

Jump to newest

By *riskynrisky OP   Couple
over a year ago

Essex.

I am looking at getting power put down to my shed, obviously it's covered by part P but I have a couple questions I would like answered before I get someone round for quote?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Essex.

Bump

By *apasmurfkingMan
over a year ago

Costa Del Littlehampton

How can I help?

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

[Removed by poster at 15/06/20 15:57:24]

over a year ago

Essex.

I am looking at getting power put down to my shed, there are no spare fuses left on the consumer unit(old fashioned one with the wire fuses).

Will an electrician be able to add a stand alone fuse/rcd or will I need a new consumer unit?

Secondly, I notice you don't need a part P certificate if you are replacing an existing circuit, if you replace the circuit, how do they know it's not a new circuit?

Thanks for your help.

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

22 years as a spark and I would put a garage dist board next go the consumer unit break into the main tails run an armoured cable to shed with a small db then mcb for power and lighting..

The answer you want is put a rcd socket next to an exsiting neastest the rear of house and shed put a 2.5 3 core high tough cable into a plug top and plug into socket run to shed and wire into a double socket outlet acting like an extension lead unstall led lights to keep load down and as long as it can be unplaugged in house it requires no testing at all as its not hard wired and you still have rcd protection for safety

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"22 years as a spark and I would put a garage dist board next go the consumer unit break into the main tails run an armoured cable to shed with a small db then mcb for power and lighting..

The answer you want is put a rcd socket next to an exsiting neastest the rear of house and shed put a 2.5 3 core high tough cable into a plug top and plug into socket run to shed and wire into a double socket outlet acting like an extension lead unstall led lights to keep load down and as long as it can be unplaugged in house it requires no testing at all as its not hard wired and you still have rcd protection for safety "

Absolutely excellent reply

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"22 years as a spark and I would put a garage dist board next go the consumer unit break into the main tails run an armoured cable to shed with a small db then mcb for power and lighting..

The answer you want is put a rcd socket next to an exsiting neastest the rear of house and shed put a 2.5 3 core high tough cable into a plug top and plug into socket run to shed and wire into a double socket outlet acting like an extension lead unstall led lights to keep load down and as long as it can be unplaugged in house it requires no testing at all as its not hard wired and you still have rcd protection for safety

"

Still an excellent reply

Your second solution of course works perfectly as long as the shed does not require above 3 kw and of course very few people do

By *ranimallxl5Man
over a year ago

Winchester

How easy is installing a storage heater

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Just had one in today, going to replace a 40 year old fuse box with an RCBO, seems sensible to me, £500 was the quote so happy with that

over a year ago

Essex.

Still an excellent reply

Your second solution of course works perfectly as long as the shed does not require above 3 kw and of course very few people do "

Was looking at 6 LED 4 foot lights, about 8 double sockets, highest draw would be a welder, so was looking at 6a lighting and 32a for the sockets, so would have to be a proper job unfortunately.

Luckily for me I was told today a guy at work is a qualified electrician and still in ticket, so going to see what his mates rates are like...

Thanks for all the help...

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Still an excellent reply

Your second solution of course works perfectly as long as the shed does not require above 3 kw and of course very few people do

Was looking at 6 LED 4 foot lights, about 8 double sockets, highest draw would be a welder, so was looking at 6a lighting and 32a for the sockets, so would have to be a proper job unfortunately.

Luckily for me I was told today a guy at work is a qualified electrician and still in ticket, so going to see what his mates rates are like...

Thanks for all the help... "

Glad you understand 32 amp required proper job

By *apasmurfkingMan
over a year ago

Costa Del Littlehampton

"How easy is installing a storage heater"

An pain in the back because the bricks are not light.

over a year ago

Essex.

Still an excellent reply

Thanks for all the help...

Glad you understand 32 amp required proper job "

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

If you want ti use a fair bit of load I would recommend option 1 and recommend at least 10mm2 supply but obviously more expensive but you get what u pay for..

over a year ago

Essex.

"If you want ti use a fair bit of load I would recommend option 1 and recommend at least 10mm2 supply but obviously more expensive but you get what u pay for.. "

It's worth the money, to do it once.

I am lucky I have a shed/workshop that's 24' x 12' and want to kit it out for woodworking and metalwork.

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

"How easy is installing a storage heater"

Easy just install a 13a spur next to a socket outlet thing is they are usually installed with a different type meter at mains for cheaper heating called economy 7..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've got a trampoline for sale £50, er, this is Gumtree isn't it?

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"I've got a trampoline for sale £50, er, this is Gumtree isn't it? "

How many bounces has it had ?

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

"If you want ti use a fair bit of load I would recommend option 1 and recommend at least 10mm2 supply but obviously more expensive but you get what u pay for..

I am lucky I have a shed/workshop that's 24' x 12' and want to kit it out for woodworking and metalwork. "

Ha! A workshop I would recommend a 16mm2 supply and and option 1 definitely..

over a year ago

"I've got a trampoline for sale £50, er, this is Gumtree isn't it?

How many bounces has it had ?"

Alas, not many recently!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"If you want ti use a fair bit of load I would recommend option 1 and recommend at least 10mm2 supply but obviously more expensive but you get what u pay for..

I am lucky I have a shed/workshop that's 24' x 12' and want to kit it out for woodworking and metalwork.

"

I'd love to agree but

If he wants a 16 amp welder

A 2 km heater

Lights fans maybe a strimmer or hedge cutter the he would be over the 16 amp

I'd have a 32 amp supply into a workshop consumer unit

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"I've got a trampoline for sale £50, er, this is Gumtree isn't it?

How many bounces has it had ?

Alas, not many recently! "

1 careful owner then

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

I'd love to agree but

A 2 km heater

I'd have a 32 amp supply into a workshop consumer unit "

Sorry I did not mention 16 amp supply a 16mm2 is the cable size and would give 60 amps

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I'd love to agree but

A 2 km heater

I'd have a 32 amp supply into a workshop consumer unit

Sorry I did not mention 16 amp supply a 16mm2 is the cable size and would give 60 amps "

So sorry yes you did

over a year ago

Essex.

"

I'll check out the price of 16mm cable, I'm going for good quality hobby stuff not a full on professional set up, not sure the wife will let me go that far...lol

over a year ago

Im no electrician ... but im known to create sparks ... and bangs

Post new Message to Thread