Google British Prime Ministers

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What do you Notice different ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

That's really odd. I wonder why that's happened, must me more than a coincidence

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Would we? Could we? .....

over a year ago

"That's really odd. I wonder why that's happened, must me more than a coincidence"

Yep

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/1031779#message_23936744

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Oh that’s disgraceful

By *oreno0969Man
over a year ago

Rugby

"What do you Notice different ? "

Really are they taking the actual piss

over a year ago

"What do you Notice different ?

Really are they taking the actual piss"

1951-1955. What about from 1940-1945 ?!

over a year ago

Scary how the cries of a tiny minority’s of people can change everything the rest of us. People need to grow a pair

over a year ago

Don't worry the daily fail is all over it

By *oreno0969Man
over a year ago

Rugby

1951-1955. What about from 1940-1945 ?!"

So we had no prime minister during the war then

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

over a year ago

Omfg! I was a bit slow on this one .. that's disgraceful!

over a year ago

So we had no prime minister during the war then "

It’s like there was no winner of the Tour De France for 7 years, we all know who it was

over a year ago

I can see a name but no pic or has it been changed

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Google saying they are doing an update

over a year ago

"Google saying they are doing an update"

What’s to update ?!

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

No surprise at all given it's one of the most woke, virtue signalling corporations on the planet

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Google are saying it’s a glitch and nothing sinister going on and they are fixing it

over a year ago

here

We’re aware an image for Sir Winston Churchill is missing from his Knowledge Graph entry on Google. We apologise for any concern. This was not purposeful & will be resolved. Images in such panels are automatically created & updated. During an update, they can briefly disappear….

If a Knowledge Graph image is missing due to an update, the subject will be named but lack an image in anything automatically generated from the Knowledge Graph. This is why Churchill’s image (but not his name) is missing from some lists. It is temporary & will be resolved….

The image issue only applies to Knowledge Graph-generated information. Many images of Churchill are easily found through both web and image searching on Google….

Some have noted that Churchill’s first term does not appear for a search on UK prime ministers that shows an automatically generated Knowledge Graph list. This is not specific to Churchill; a similar thing happens with Wilson, MacDonald and Baldwin….

We’re exploring why the first terms for Churchill, Wilson, MacDonald & Baldwin are not shown. It might be that our systems are only displaying the last term of prime ministers who had non-consecutive terms. We’ll seek to address this to avoid any unintentional concern….

We don’t have an exact time for when Churchill’s Knowledge Graph image will be restored, but it will be as rapidly done as possible. We’ll want to explore exactly why an automatic update caused it to disappear & see if there are any improvements in those systems to address….

When the Knowledge Graph image is restored for Churchill, his image will again be shown in Knowledge Graph-generated content, where only his name shows now. Again, apologies for concern caused. You can learn more about how our Knowledge Graph works here:

https://www.blog.google/products/search/about-knowledge-graph-and-knowledge-panels/

over a year ago

"We’re aware an image for Sir Winston Churchill is missing from his Knowledge Graph entry on Google. We apologise for any concern. This was not purposeful & will be resolved. Images in such panels are automatically created & updated. During an update, they can briefly disappear….

If a Knowledge Graph image is missing due to an update, the subject will be named but lack an image in anything automatically generated from the Knowledge Graph. This is why Churchill’s image (but not his name) is missing from some lists. It is temporary & will be resolved….

The image issue only applies to Knowledge Graph-generated information. Many images of Churchill are easily found through both web and image searching on Google….

Some have noted that Churchill’s first term does not appear for a search on UK prime ministers that shows an automatically generated Knowledge Graph list. This is not specific to Churchill; a similar thing happens with Wilson, MacDonald and Baldwin….

We’re exploring why the first terms for Churchill, Wilson, MacDonald & Baldwin are not shown. It might be that our systems are only displaying the last term of prime ministers who had non-consecutive terms. We’ll seek to address this to avoid any unintentional concern….

We don’t have an exact time for when Churchill’s Knowledge Graph image will be restored, but it will be as rapidly done as possible. We’ll want to explore exactly why an automatic update caused it to disappear & see if there are any improvements in those systems to address….

When the Knowledge Graph image is restored for Churchill, his image will again be shown in Knowledge Graph-generated content, where only his name shows now. Again, apologies for concern caused. You can learn more about how our Knowledge Graph works here:

https://www.blog.google/products/search/about-knowledge-graph-and-knowledge-panels/"

But Wilson, MacDonald and Baldwin images remain, funny that

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Google saying they are doing an update

What’s to update ?!"

See below

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

When people seriously believe Google are trying to wipe churchill from history its time to get off.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

But Wilson, MacDonald and Baldwin images remain, funny that "

Because as google explained but obviously you didn’t read and comprehend... it is 2 separate issues!!

Jeez.. take the tin foil hat off!

over a year ago

It too early to put my tin foil hat on. I'll come back later

over a year ago

"

Because as google explained but obviously you didn’t read and comprehend... it is 2 separate issues!!

Jeez.. take the tin foil hat off! "

And the reason 1940-1945 is not there and 1951-1955 is because of ?

over a year ago

"

Jeez.. take the tin foil hat off! "

You are correct, I switched off at knowledge graph image blah blah blah

I have now had my first brew of the day and it makes perfect sense

over a year ago

"When people seriously believe Google are trying to wipe churchill from history its time to get off."

I don’t believe that, I’m questioning why he’s not there and dates aren’t there either

over a year ago

"

Jeez.. take the tin foil hat off!

And the reason 1940-1945 is not there and 1951-1955 is because of ?"

Because it's an error only reporting their latest term in office.......

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"When people seriously believe Google are trying to wipe churchill from history its time to get off.

I don’t believe that, I’m questioning why he’s not there and dates aren’t there either "

Havent it been explained above?

over a year ago

"We’re aware an image for Sir Winston Churchill is missing from his Knowledge Graph entry on Google. We apologise for any concern. This was not purposeful & will be resolved. Images in such panels are automatically created & updated. During an update, they can briefly disappear….

https://www.blog.google/products/search/about-knowledge-graph-and-knowledge-panels/"

Have you wrote all that before the link?

Then I applaud you on your three weetabix this morning. Lol

I can't get my thoughts together yet and it's 10.30

over a year ago

"It too early to put my tin foil hat on. I'll come back later"

It’s hardly a fiat earth convention

over a year ago

here

" Have you wrote all that before the link?

Then I applaud you on your three weetabix this morning. I can't get my thoughts together yet and it's 10.30 "

sorry, not me. I missed the quote marks .

It’s Google’s statement

over a year ago

"Google saying they are doing an update

What’s to update ?!"

So having read the announcement ,re the missing image, correctly (now I'm more awake) it still begs the question. What's to update? It's not like he's changed his hairstyle in the last week....

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"When people seriously believe Google are trying to wipe churchill from history its time to get off.

I don’t believe that, I’m questioning why he’s not there and dates aren’t there either "

Maybe Google has been hacked???

over a year ago

"It too early to put my tin foil hat on. I'll come back later

It’s hardly a fiat earth convention "

I stand by what I said

over a year ago

I stand by what I said "

Well, you came back a lot sooner than later.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Goodness. A picture is missing from one search. Stop the press, call the army. No one will ever know who he is ever again

over a year ago

I stand by what I said

Well, you came back a lot sooner than later."

My bad. Didnt realise there was a specific time limit on 'later'

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

It's a disgrace that Harold Wilson's first term as PM is missing. This is clearly an effort from an powerful American corporation to expunge him from history.

over a year ago

He's back

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Goodness. A picture is missing from one search. Stop the press, call the army. No one will ever know who he is ever again "

over a year ago

here

"Goodness. A picture is missing from one search. Stop the press, call the army. No one will ever know who he is ever again "

There is a serious point in this if you think about it ...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Goodness. A picture is missing from one search. Stop the press, call the army. No one will ever know who he is ever again

There is a serious point in this if you think about it ..."

I have no idea why the picture is missing, but it's a tempest in a teapot. Find another picture, show your family, learn about history.

History goes on.

over a year ago

"Goodness. A picture is missing from one search. Stop the press, call the army. No one will ever know who he is ever again

I have no idea why the picture is missing, but it's a tempest in a teapot. Find another picture, show your family, learn about history.

History goes on."

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

History is history it should not be erased but lessons can be learnt from history

over a year ago

It’s back anyway

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?"

Nope.

An image is missing from Google.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Does someone need to start a snowflake thread seems the glitch is causing a few meltdowns?????

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

History goes on."

I think the fact that certain factions of society are calling for parts of British history to be errased makes it more than a storm in a teacup!

By *eltonmanMan
over a year ago

Melton Mowbray

They've put a new pic up, so all is right again. Apart from we didnt have a PM for the war years

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

I think the fact that certain factions of society are calling for parts of British history to be errased makes it more than a storm in a teacup! "

I think that anyone seeing erasure or censorship here should consult a dictionary on the meaning of those words.

These things are being discussed in the open, which is the opposite of erasure or censorship.

If anyone believes that history is a fixed unchangeable narrative, then I suggest they learn more about how history is done.

History is constantly being rewritten. There's been some vandalism, and a public discussion of history and how we do it. Multiple narratives can exist and have different prominence.

I'm sorry that people see this as erasure, but again, I suggest that the dictionary might assist them.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

History goes on.

I think the fact that certain factions of society are calling for parts of British history to be errased makes it more than a storm in a teacup! "

Anyway i have the movie Churchill is enough for me

over a year ago

History goes on.

I think the fact that certain factions of society are calling for parts of British history to be errased makes it more than a storm in a teacup!

I think that anyone seeing erasure or censorship here should consult a dictionary on the meaning of those words.

These things are being discussed in the open, which is the opposite of erasure or censorship.

If anyone believes that history is a fixed unchangeable narrative, then I suggest they learn more about how history is done.

History is constantly being rewritten. There's been some vandalism, and a public discussion of history and how we do it. Multiple narratives can exist and have different prominence.

I'm sorry that people see this as erasure, but again, I suggest that the dictionary might assist them."

You always bring a insightful and thought-out response on here regardless of the negativity it's responding to and I greatly appreciate this and hope we can all have discussions without trying to attack eachother.

As you said the history of these people are being known now far more than a week ago. It's important that we try to see both sides of history especially when it has had lasting effects on the current state of the world.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

I'm sorry that people see this as erasure, but again, I suggest that the dictionary might assist them.

You always bring a insightful and thought-out response on here regardless of the negativity it's responding to and I greatly appreciate this and hope we can all have discussions without trying to attack eachother.

As you said the history of these people are being known now far more than a week ago. It's important that we try to see both sides of history especially when it has had lasting effects on the current state of the world."

Thank you. History is one of my passions, and the fact it's being reduced to "happy stories we tell ourselves about how wonderful we are" is incredibly depressing.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

History goes on.

As you said the history of these people are being known now far more than a week ago. It's important that we try to see both sides of history especially when it has had lasting effects on the current state of the world.

Thank you. History is one of my passions, and the fact it's being reduced to "happy stories we tell ourselves about how wonderful we are" is incredibly depressing."

Exactly human history is dark

And should be taught as such

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Thank you. History is one of my passions, and the fact it's being reduced to "happy stories we tell ourselves about how wonderful we are" is incredibly depressing.

Exactly human history is dark

And should be taught as such "

It's messy and complicated and interesting. I don't want a sunny delightful set of convenient lies.

over a year ago

History goes on.

Thank you. History is one of my passions, and the fact it's being reduced to "happy stories we tell ourselves about how wonderful we are" is incredibly depressing."

Your welcome

It's good to see facts without bias. It's what I strive to learn from, without a rounded view we are ignorant.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Your welcome

It's good to see facts without bias. It's what I strive to learn from, without a rounded view we are ignorant. "

Bias is inevitable. It's about how we handle it.

History is forever an act of interpretation. Bias creeps in.

Bias gets bigger if you refuse to even imagine that other interpretations have merit.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

History goes on.

Your welcome

It's good to see facts without bias. It's what I strive to learn from, without a rounded view we are ignorant.

Bias gets bigger if you refuse to even imagine that other interpretations have merit."

In hundred years time our history from days today will keep been dark

over a year ago

here

History goes on."

I think you are missing the bigger picture

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

I think you are missing the bigger picture "

What, that people are being faced with stuff they don't like and are unhappy about it?

I don't see the issue. I hope they feel better soon.

over a year ago

History goes on.

Your welcome

Bias gets bigger if you refuse to even imagine that other interpretations have merit."

Exactly this but I'll head back onto the subject so we don't take over the post.

Reviewing all the statues will be beneficial and hopefully in most cases they will decide that a plaque with information will be enough to show both sides of a individuals history. I hope they don't just randomly start removing statue to appease a loud minority. Let's ask our councils to inquire, compile and then share their outlook on individual statues and then .we can decide on the outcomes

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

Exactly this but I'll head back onto the subject so we don't take over the post.

Reviewing all the statues will be beneficial and hopefully in most cases they will decide that a plaque with information will be enough to show both sides of a individuals history. I hope they don't just randomly start removing statue to appease a loud minority. Let's ask our councils to inquire, compile and then share their outlook on individual statues and then .we can decide on the outcomes"

For sure. Re-evaluating is a constant process. It's been politicised here. I'm all for representation of how to portray and display these things. Including "the might and glory of the British empire". But not to the exclusion of other narratives with similar evidence bases and worth.

It's a bit like when archaeologists went to Troy. They dug through centuries of evidence, destroying it, looking for Helen. Left us all poorer as a consequence. The Acropolis in Athens, post classical evidence was discarded as unworthy. Let's not do that, particularly when the impact of the material culture we're examining still festers on in real life.

over a year ago

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11."

You’ve clearly missed the point

over a year ago

here

"

Reviewing all the statues will be beneficial and hopefully in most cases they will decide that a plaque with information will be enough to show both sides of a individuals history. I hope they don't just randomly start removing statue to appease a loud minority. Let's ask our councils to inquire, compile and then share their outlook on individual statues and then .we can decide on the outcomes

For sure. Re-evaluating is a constant process. It's been politicised here. I'm all for representation of how to portray and display these things. Including "the might and glory of the British empire". But not to the exclusion of other narratives with similar evidence bases and worth.

It's a bit like when archaeologists went to Troy. They dug through centuries of evidence, destroying it, looking for Helen. Left us all poorer as a consequence. The Acropolis in Athens, post classical evidence was discarded as unworthy. Let's not do that, particularly when the impact of the material culture we're examining still festers on in real life."

What happens when you can’t re-evaluate for yourself as someone else has decided what you can or cannot evaluate.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

It's a bit like when archaeologists went to Troy. They dug through centuries of evidence, destroying it, looking for Helen. Left us all poorer as a consequence. The Acropolis in Athens, post classical evidence was discarded as unworthy. Let's not do that, particularly when the impact of the material culture we're examining still festers on in real life.

What happens when you can’t re-evaluate for yourself as someone else has decided what you can or cannot evaluate.

"

Who's decided that? You're interpreting it right now. The books and sources still exist.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

You’ve clearly missed the point "

Educate me, then. What's the point?

Forests and floods of ink have been spilled over Churchill. The Google search, and yes I saw, contained countless links to information. Portraits, statues, popular culture. It's all still there.

We're talking about it. The police aren't kicking down my door.

99.999999999% of evidence of Churchill still exists. We're still free to talk about it.

News at 11.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

He’s back where he rightfully belongs as one of our greatest leaders

over a year ago

here

"

Who's decided that? You're interpreting it right now. The books and sources still exist."

I don’t think you can see the wood for the trees.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

Who's decided that? You're interpreting it right now. The books and sources still exist.

I don’t think you can see the wood for the trees.

"

What am I missing?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't use Google

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"He’s back where he rightfully belongs as one of our greatest leaders "

Personally I'd prefer to hear more about Turing

Oh yeah the hero they killed

Churchill indeed a fine orator

Beyond that he is credited with far more than he deserves

Thousands of smaller cogs were the true saviours

over a year ago

Google, like Hollywood and numerous other organisations are just run by corrupt, leftist twats tryingnto create a socialist woeld where everyone will apparently be happy ever after

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"He’s back where he rightfully belongs as one of our greatest leaders

"

but the post is about Churchill not Alan Turing but I take you’re point

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"He’s back where he rightfully belongs as one of our greatest leaders

"

We know lots about Churchill and sources are everywhere.

The colour of history is in the beautiful intricate details. Not the might and power superficial skim.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

History goes on.

Who is doing that?

over a year ago

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

Forests and floods of ink have been spilled over Churchill. The Google search, and yes I saw, contained countless links to information. Portraits, statues, popular culture. It's all still there.

99.999999999% of evidence of Churchill still exists. We're still free to talk about it.

News at 11."

You’re undermining your own argument by constantly saying news at 11, that phrase is ironically passé.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

News at 11.

You’re undermining your own argument by constantly saying news at 11, that phrase is ironically passé."

By constantly, you mean twice?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11."

It's not just a picture missing it's also an entire term in office. The main, most important term probably of any prime minister.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

It's not just a picture missing it's also an entire term in office. The main, most important term probably of any prime minister."

Has it not been replaced?

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

It's not just a picture missing it's also an entire term in office. The main, most important term probably of any prime minister."

update he’s back

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

When I Googled there was a placeholder where the image should be and his name. Plus umpteen links on prime ministers, a link to a page to Churchill being in the first page.

... If he'd been "erased" something else would have been there or there would have been a gap. A gap, you ask questions.

Also, sources other than Google exist. He's not gone anywhere.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

It's not just a picture missing it's also an entire term in office. The main, most important term probably of any prime minister.

Has it not been replaced?"

No. There is an 8 year gap between 1937 and 1945

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

No. There is an 8 year gap between 1937 and 1945"

I do like the top hat he's wearing in the line up on my search on both .com and .co.uk. Very fetching.

over a year ago

its awfull that a few thugs can change history, good or bad , things happened, thats history, learn from it dont they realise they are doing the same or worse than the people they demonise.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

What a strange age we live in where a technical glitch sees people assuming soneone has been erased from history.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"What a strange age we live in where a technical glitch sees people assuming soneone has been erased from history."
it’s paranoia

over a year ago

History is history wether it's good or bad. Erasing it is wrong, it's withholding knowledge. It's like burning books and it's not on. History should be learned from not forgotten.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"What a strange age we live in where a technical glitch sees people assuming soneone has been erased from history."

It fits into preconceived notions about how history should be done, I suppose.

over a year ago

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

News at 11.

You’re undermining your own argument by constantly saying news at 11, that phrase is ironically passé.

By constantly, you mean twice?"

Yes, constantly, let me guess you just heard the phrase for the first time the other day, which would be very ironic ?!

over a year ago

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

No. There is an 8 year gap between 1937 and 1945"

When this thread was posted all that was missing was his image along the top of the searches. All other information was available.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

When this thread was posted all that was missing was his image along the top of the searches. All other information was available."

It looks like a glitch to me.

All other information is available. This is a tempest in a teapot in a doll's house.

over a year ago

History goes on.

Nope.

Other sources exist.

News at 11.

When this thread was posted all that was missing was his image along the top of the searches. All other information was available.

It looks like a glitch to me.

All other information is available. This is a tempest in a teapot in a doll's house."

Indeed they were probably updating the image but you know Google must have been censoring him

They would have so much to gain from that

By *tever69UKMan
over a year ago

bury

I don't believe there are any statues of William the Conqueror in Britain, which is why he's unknown after only a thousand years... oh, hang on.

There again, there are no statues of Hitler, which is why nobody has heard of him.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"History is history wether it's good or bad. Erasing it is wrong, it's withholding knowledge. It's like burning books and it's not on. History should be learned from not forgotten. "

No one is erasing it!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the amount of people who couldn't read a statement (which had been posted in this thread more than once) and yet still go on about it like it was some sort on conspiracy is amazing...

google explained exactly what the two issues were....

google went and fixed them.....

the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"the amount of people who couldn't read a statement (which had been posted in this thread more than once) and yet still go on about it like it was some sort on conspiracy is amazing...

the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!! "

People have had a view of history they like as the overwhelming one, for their entire lives. It largely continues.

People discuss changing it as a result of some agitation and the removal (not destruction) of a statue that there's been pressure to remove for a long time.

Google has a glitch.

People lose their minds.

Those saying this is how history is done and that all historical perspectives should be considered are the sensitive ones.

Is that about it?

over a year ago

"History is history wether it's good or bad. Erasing it is wrong, it's withholding knowledge. It's like burning books and it's not on. History should be learned from not forgotten.

No one is erasing it!"

I never said they were, although I'm sad to say i wouldn't rule it out. I was only giving my thoughts, and im sure most people know that history can't always be taken as actual fact, it's more often than not clouded by some agenda or other. That's the way it is.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"History is history wether it's good or bad. Erasing it is wrong, it's withholding knowledge. It's like burning books and it's not on. History should be learned from not forgotten.

No one is erasing it!

I never said they were, although I'm sad to say i wouldn't rule it out. I was only giving my thoughts, and im sure most people know that history can't always be taken as actual fact, it's more often than not clouded by some agenda or other. That's the way it is. "

That's very true. We listen, we learn, we grow.

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

I never said they were, although I'm sad to say i wouldn't rule it out. I was only giving my thoughts, and im sure most people know that history can't always be taken as actual fact, it's more often than not clouded by some agenda or other. That's the way it is.

That's very true. We listen, we learn, we grow."

I try at least

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No one is erasing it!

I try at least "

Me too

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

I try at least

Me too "

over a year ago

google spencer perceval and see what happened to him?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No one is erasing it!

I never said they were, although I'm sad to say i wouldn't rule it out. I was only giving my thoughts, and im sure most people know that history can't always be taken as actual fact, it's more often than not clouded by some agenda or other. That's the way it is. "

I think that's the sub context to the whole thread though isnt it?Google have removed a picture ergo they are trying to erase history.

People say education is the key but I think intelligence,empathy and wisdom are often lacking in this country.

over a year ago

here

"the amount of people who couldn't read a statement (which had been posted in this thread more than once) and yet still go on about it like it was some sort on conspiracy is amazing...

the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!! "

Coincidence they had a glitch with Churchill on the same weekend as his statue in Parliament square has to be boarded up ??

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No one is erasing it!

I think that's the sub context to the whole thread though isnt it?Google have removed a picture ergo they are trying to erase history.

People say education is the key but I think intelligence,empathy and wisdom are often lacking in this country.

"

History is discussion and forming a view from the evidence. One picture on Google doesn't even rise to evidence (I do include secondary sources).

We need all of those things. And some humility I think. The version of history we believe isn't the only one with something to teach us.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!!

Coincidence they had a glitch with Churchill on the same weekend as his statue in Parliament square has to be boarded up ??

"

Nope. Lots of searches happen so they have capacity issues or want to make sure everything is fine or some other computer issue.

Computer capacity. Orwellian.

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

"

There’s no subtext whatsoever, whatever slant on it that’s your own perception, I merely pointed out it wasn’t there when I wanted to find out about some dates. What has empathy got to do with pointing out that one of our prime minister wasn’t there ?

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

"

Maybe it was a glitch, but maybe not. And i agree totally about the intelligence empathy and wisdom being lacking. And im guilty of lacking it at times myself but im aware of it and try my best. It's all anyone can do

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

History is discussion and forming a view from the evidence. One picture on Google doesn't even rise to evidence (I do include secondary sources).

We need all of those things. And some humility I think. The version of history we believe isn't the only one with something to teach us."

over a year ago

here

Nope. Lots of searches happen so they have capacity issues or want to make sure everything is fine or some other computer issue.

Computer capacity. Orwellian."

Hmmmmm

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

"the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!! "

Maybe, just maybe, some people are pragmatic instead of viewing the world through the rose-tinted spectacles of ideology.

Some of the actions of Churchill while he was Prime Minister are the things that have allowed us to live in this democratic country with free speech so that we are able to discuss matters such as this.

over a year ago

There’s a lot Derisory comments on here, attempting to belittle people, merely for the fact of pointing out an image was missing. Elitist bullshit.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No one is erasing it!

We need all of those things. And some humility I think. The version of history we believe isn't the only one with something to teach us."

Agree completely

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!!

Maybe, just maybe, some people are pragmatic instead of viewing the world through the rose-tinted spectacles of ideology.

Some of the actions of Churchill while he was Prime Minister are the things that have allowed us to live in this democratic country with free speech so that we are able to discuss matters such as this. "

And I don't dismiss any of them. I'm happy to discuss them. I celebrate the role he played in leading our forces.

I just do so more holistically, not with a two dimensional rose tinted ideological slant.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No one is erasing it!

There’s no subtext whatsoever, whatever slant on it that’s your own perception, I merely pointed out it wasn’t there when I wanted to find out about some dates. What has empathy got to do with pointing out that one of our prime minister wasn’t there ?"

Well..there is..people have put 2 and 2 together and got 6

Picture has been taken down therefore he has been erased from history.

The empathy comment was in regards to the wider context about learning our history warts and all.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

No one is erasing it!

Maybe it was a glitch, but maybe not. And i agree totally about the intelligence empathy and wisdom being lacking. And im guilty of lacking it at times myself but im aware of it and try my best. It's all anyone can do "

Indeed.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No one is erasing it!

There’s no subtext whatsoever, whatever slant on it that’s your own perception, I merely pointed out it wasn’t there when I wanted to find out about some dates. What has empathy got to do with pointing out that one of our prime minister wasn’t there ?

The empathy comment was in regards to the wider context about learning our history warts and all."

The erasure thing is hilarious.

Yes Churchill has been erased. No one ever talks about Churchill. The discussion of history, so prominent on Fab, has really declined since we censored any discussion of Churchill

over a year ago

"the rest of you are just spoiling to troll... so just take ya tin foil hats off!!!!

Some of the actions of Churchill while he was Prime Minister are the things that have allowed us to live in this democratic country with free speech so that we are able to discuss matters such as this. "

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

See I dont agree with this idea of churchill being this great defender of free speech.

As an example in the 1920s he sent warships up the mersey with orders to fire on striking workers.

He was a great wartime leader.I wouldnt say he was a great human being

over a year ago

No one is erasing it!

The empathy comment was in regards to the wider context about learning our history warts and all.

Yes Churchill has been erased. No one ever talks about Churchill. The discussion of history, so prominent on Fab, has really declined since we censored any discussion of Churchill "

If you think that’s hilarious you need to get out more.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No one is erasing it!

Yes Churchill has been erased. No one ever talks about Churchill. The discussion of history, so prominent on Fab, has really declined since we censored any discussion of Churchill

If you think that’s hilarious you need to get out more."

Noted.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Computer capacity. Orwellian.

Hmmmmm "

Harold Wilson has also gone missing.

Maybe they are erasing him too?

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

"When people seriously believe Google are trying to wipe churchill from history its time to get off."

Google would be daft if they try but they do have a history of manipulating their search results to hide what they dont want people to see.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Google would be daft if they try but they do have a history of manipulating their search results to hide what they dont want people to see."

What like?(serous question)

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Google would be daft if they try but they do have a history of manipulating their search results to hide what they dont want people to see."

Then maybe people should return to other research methods. Google is the main way a lot of people find things, but not the only one.

Corporate manipulation of data is another question entirely. I'm quite happy to work towards putting safeguards in place, to minimise major organisations manipulating information. Reduce corporate monopolies and power over government. Sounds great to me.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Some of the actions of Churchill while he was Prime Minister are the things that have allowed us to live in this democratic country with free speech so that we are able to discuss matters such as this.

See I dont agree with this idea of churchill being this great defender of free speech.

As an example in the 1920s he sent warships up the mersey with orders to fire on striking workers.

"

Notice the word "some" in my post. My opinion is that this country would be vastly different today had the outcome of WW2 been different.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

It IS a bit of a coincidence though given how much Topple The Racists campaign have been in the news lately though.....

I think people are right to ask questions.

By *arex2Couple
over a year ago

Bradford

OMFG!!! I'm embarrassed to be British. This is getting beyond a joke.

I for one know that I owe my independance to that man and am sincerely grateful for what he did for ALL of us. He may have had racist views but that doesn't change what he achieved.

over a year ago

Notice the word "some" in my post. My opinion is that this country would be vastly different today had the outcome of WW2 been different. "

That's true but then we should thank the real people who saved us. The russians

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

Google would be daft if they try but they do have a history of manipulating their search results to hide what they dont want people to see.

What like?(serous question)"

One example - https://www.vox.com/2017/6/27/15878980/europe-fine-google-antitrust-search where google was found to manipulate results in its favour. Search on any of the lesser used engines for loads more complaints.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Notice the word "some" in my post. My opinion is that this country would be vastly different today had the outcome of WW2 been different.

That's true but then we should thank the real people who saved us. The russians "

shots fired

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Notice the word "some" in my post. My opinion is that this country would be vastly different today had the outcome of WW2 been different. "

Yeah I know..sorry wasnt having a pop

I think without him we would have been a german colony

But the americans and more importantly the Russians changed the course of the war.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"OMFG!!! I'm embarrassed to be British. This is getting beyond a joke.

I for one know that I owe my independance to that man and am sincerely grateful for what he did for ALL of us. He may have had racist views but that doesn't change what he achieved. "

You realise he didnt win the war on his own?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

That's true but then we should thank the real people who saved us. The russians "

If anyone has been written out of history its them

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

One example - https://www.vox.com/2017/6/27/15878980/europe-fine-google-antitrust-search where google was found to manipulate results in its favour. Search on any of the lesser used engines for loads more complaints.

"

Thats different to writing people out of history though no?

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

I for one know that I owe my independance to that man and am sincerely grateful for what he did for ALL of us. He may have had racist views but that doesn't change what he achieved.

You realise he didnt win the war on his own?"

Of course not. But it was Churchill who was the driving force behind motivating British armed forces and keeping morale following the retreat from Dunkirk.

Remember that if the British had capitulated like France did the USA would never have entered the war effectively allowing the Third Reich and it's allies to focus solely on the Eastern Front.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Of course not. But it was Churchill who was the driving force behind motivating British armed forces and keeping morale following the retreat from Dunkirk.

Remember that if the British had capitulated like France did the USA would never have entered the war effectively allowing the Third Reich and it's allies to focus solely on the Eastern Front."

He played a big part in morale etc there is no argument there.I just find the whole "churchill won the war' a bit silly.A fella yesterday was going round saying he killed Hitler and got applauded.

But he was certainly no saint.

Yeah good point..but it was The combined efforts of the British,the Americans and the Russians which tipped the balance.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Remember that if the British had capitulated like France did the USA would never have entered the war effectively allowing the Third Reich and it's allies to focus solely on the Eastern Front.

He played a big part in morale etc there is no argument there.I just find the whole "churchill won the war' a bit silly.A fella yesterday was going round saying he killed Hitler and got applauded.

Yeah good point..but it was The combined efforts of the British,the Americans and the Russians which tipped the balance."

And the British empire. Many countries suffered significantly answering the call. "The King is at war, so we are at war."

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Yeah good point..but it was The combined efforts of the British,the Americans and the Russians which tipped the balance."

Very true.

I do think people overlook the sacrifices of the Red Army in pushing back the Nazis from the East.

Also it was Stalin's industrial reforms (and their terrible consequences for millions of Russians) which arguably strengthened Russia sufficiently to resist the invasion (helped greatly by the harsh winter).

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Yeah good point..but it was The combined efforts of the British,the Americans and the Russians which tipped the balance.

Very true.

I do think people overlook the sacrifices of the Red Army in pushing back the Nazis from the East.

Also it was Stalin's industrial reforms (and their terrible consequences for millions of Russians) which arguably strengthened Russia sufficiently to resist the invasion (helped greatly by the harsh winter)."

20 million dead was an eye watering sacrifice .

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Very true.

Also it was Stalin's industrial reforms (and their terrible consequences for millions of Russians) which arguably strengthened Russia sufficiently to resist the invasion (helped greatly by the harsh winter).

20 million dead was an eye watering sacrifice ."

Yes. I'm not inclined to airbrush that in bringing Russia's role back to prominence. It's a difficult balance, and nuance is required.

over a year ago

So we had no prime minister during the war then "

What war? History is being rewritten so that the British are seen as always having been nice people. It will also help our Eurovision results.

over a year ago

What did he do to upset BLM?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

I'm convinced that there's a major conspiracy when a global megacorp uses its entire weight to remove exactly one thumbnail image from a single online query. And it's so shamefaced that when it's pointed out to them they just go "oops! I'll ask the office junior to fix it" and it takes a whole hour before the picture is back.

TBH, my guess is that the guys who run google don't actually give a flying fuck about who Churchill is or exactly what dates he was prime minister. They do have some interest in the algorithms that generate their results being halfway accurate, cos that's how they make money. But computer programs are written by people, people make mistakes, programs sometimes generate slightly weird results. There will be all sorts of fuck ups in google results (and any other browser), things that are poke you in the eye obvious and have an impact on the financial return of the company will get fixed. Simple silly things might get fixed if a programmer happens to be working on that bit of the software. Most minor errors never get sorted because anyone that sees them just shakes their head and consults a different browser.

By *uited staffs guyMan
over a year ago

staffordshire

If he was being whitewashed he wouldn’t be there 1951-55, surely just a display issue when it should’ve read 1951-55 and underneath 1940-45 that’s all

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

Thats different to writing people out of history though no?"

It is but do a search on what they have done to manipulate ranking, they are totally controlling what they want you to see.

over a year ago

Churchill is far from being erased. Interesting article in the Independent...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/winston-churchill-genocide-dictator-shashi-tharoor-melbourne-writers-festival-a7936141.html

over a year ago

Why is 1940-1945 still not there ?!

*scratches chin*

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Churchill is far from being erased. Interesting article in the Independent...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/winston-churchill-genocide-dictator-shashi-tharoor-melbourne-writers-festival-a7936141.html"

These things can be difficult to read. But it's a sense of perspective. How do other people view us and our legacy? Can we accept that their views have merit?

This is how we forge our way forward as a relevant nation in the 21st century, being able to relate to others. Not just clinging to past whitewashed glories and claiming that we're great because of it.

Post new Message to Thread