Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Renovating a house in France

Jump to newest

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

So we bought a largish farmhouse in France

Currently 4 bedrooms with possibility to make it 7 bedrooms, any hints or tips to help me?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Lucky you! We've renovated our house in the UK. We would say do as much of the work as possible yourself, buy a cement mixer, buy the right tools and allocate more money than you first think.

Hope you enjoy it, it's a great feeling watching the transformation.

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Start with the end in mind, so get some simple plans drawn. Then you can plan piping and electricals. You cant do this unless you know what you want the finished result to be.

Consult a structural surveyor before you knock any walls or chimneys down.

Oh and take lots of pictures, great to look back on

Jo x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So we bought a largish farmhouse in France

Currently 4 bedrooms with possibility to make it 7 bedrooms, any hints or tips to help me?"

Get a builder in

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

Learn to speak French. If it's a rural area, be prepared for a slower pace of life. It can be refreshing at first, then irritating and then once you get used to it,you will love it. Ex

Pats are a double edge sword, it's nice to get to know them and share experiences, but some can be a bit needy.

By *estofbothCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Learn as much of the language as you can if you don’t already speak it. makes things a whole lot smoother!

Regards the property itself, either you’ll be comfortable getting stuck in yourself or not, that’s something only you’ll know, but buy good quality and the right tools, makes so much difference if you’re going to do it yourself, if not the obvious of find a trustworthy builder.

What’s important is your vision for the place, what the plan is and how you want to use it. If you’d like to be able to rent out rooms then maybe converting more bedrooms is worth it. If it’s a holiday home or a live in for just your family then maybe fewer but bigger ones are the way to go.

Quality of fixings, is this your place forever, somewhere to rent out or a nice little flip? All depends if you go high quality that you won’t necessarily see a return on or a nice simple presentable finish. Do you want to decorate to your taste and that alone, or make it more neutral and appealing to more people.

All stuff you probably know if you’ve got more than one property, but these are the things we think about when looking at property.

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Currently 4 bedrooms with possibility to make it 7 bedrooms, any hints or tips to help me?"

Watch all episodes of Escape to the Chateau!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Mine are a little boring

Concentrate on making it structurally sound and watertight so if there is any damage it doesn't get worse.

Be VERY aware of old asbestos and lead based paint before you start attacking things with a sledgehammer and paint stripper.

Take advice from the local authority's if you do find asbestos and you need it removed.

By *ourayloversCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

French people tend to keep themselves to themselves so don't expect much in the way of help

The building regs in France can be "interesting" so spend your time finding a good reputable builder or architect

And be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting at the town hall

My father had a couple of properties in France and the rules and regs differ from region to region

Ray

over a year ago

We have spent the last ten years doing our renovation in France it as been a huge money pit and definitely a Labour of love as you will not really see any return for your hard work and investment in rural France however we do love spending time there now but are wishing we had bought In Spain instead . Good luck

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. However my friend uses an English builder who will come over with his crew and do the work she needs. She just buys the materials.

Her experience is it’s a lot quicker. However I’m unsure of if this falls foul of the local laws.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Currently 4 bedrooms with possibility to make it 7 bedrooms, any hints or tips to help me?

Watch all episodes of Escape to the Chateau! "

I *love* that show.

over a year ago

It's up to yourself who you use in france however you will find a lot of English people working on the black economy.always use a French electrician and and somebody approved by the waterboard if you need septic tank otherwise you will struggle to get a certificate of conformity .

By *rank speakerMan
over a year ago

Worcester

Basics first.(as already mentioned) Start by getting it watertight. Roof etc. There's nothing worse than seeing any work you've done ruined by a sudden downpour. Have an end in mind and start at the top and work down. That way you're not carrying rubbish out or materials in through finished areas. Just basics, but bear that in mind

Bloody good luck!

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Organise a huge swingers fortnight where people with a skill come over, work on your farmhouse and combine it with shenanigans

over a year ago

Bon chance.

1 don't buy but hire bigger tools.

2 hire a scaffold tower and learn to build it

3 painting: its not throwing paint on a wall with a brush 90% is prep. First coat is a mist. Coat which is diluted white emulsion it will highlight blemishes in the surface which need to be filled.

4 buy an impact driver and 2sets of bits. (Believe me you will snap a good few.)buy Ripsaw and multi-tool.

Buy a level, basic Set square and a good bunch of pencils. Never mark out measurements in pen.

Most of all don't rush. And remember the 5ps proper planning prevent piss poor performance.

If you get stuck and YouTube can't help don't take risks. message me and I'll see what I can do I'm a construction handyman/ supervisor. Oh and one more thing. Keep all wood dry or it will twist and warp.

Oh. Most importantly. Remember what you are doing is a dangerous job. Safety is paramount. Steel boots hard hat and risk assess.

If your place is pre 1999 asbestos is a factor and you will need a survey to be done. It is present in artex ceilings. But provided it's not damaged it's not a hazard so I would repaint it or plaster over it. (Skim.)

I could go on. But I'd end up writing a book. I just love my job. But any questions or concerns feel free to message me.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

Very envious as that’s my plan / intention. If I can sell my UK house!

Great tips & advice here. All I can add:

Take your time, savour every moment, even the difficulties - drink wine.

What part of France?

over a year ago

As a builder here in France specializing in renovations feel free to ask any questions that you need advice on and welcome to a great country and enjoy!!

Best of luck

T

over a year ago

My apologies. I re read your post as I wrongly assumed you were doing it yourself.

I believe British builders are pretty much the best. So bringing in a British company would be best

Plus it overcomes the language barrier. Equally should things go wrong your recourse will be the British courts.

A good idea would be to have a quick read of building regulations

Just so you have an idea of what's happening.

But if you want advice on spotting dodgey builders that's a whole different thing.

However the previous advice stands for anyone else contemplating DIY projects and of course good luck.

over a year ago

Hire berichonne.

The beauty of forums

over a year ago

If theres a significant amount of land, you'll also be busy doing that.

over a year ago

"If theres a significant amount of land, you'll also be busy doing that.

"

Always an error by buyers is yes the house is cheap but yes all those fields need cutting and grass grows well here.

Another thing to note for anyone buying in France is that all advice is good advice but some on this thread for example would lead someone to break French law so we always suggest to my wife’s clients that they always double check any free advice as a lot of it is total bollocks for France.

T

over a year ago

Always an error by buyers is yes the house is cheap but yes all those fields need cutting and grass grows well here.

Another thing to note for anyone buying in France is that all advice is good advice but some on this thread for example would lead someone to break French law so we always suggest to my wife’s clients that they always double check any free advice as a lot of it is total bollocks for France.

T"

If you dont break the odd french law somewhere along the line you would never get fuck all done . Get the house and crack on worry about the legalities of it afterwards . Waiting for permision from the french is like waiting for liverpool to win the league , they will eventually get to you but it may take 30 years

over a year ago

west here ford shire

T"

No we didn’t want lots of land, hence that’s what we bought, just enough...

Still nice to know someone put their four penny worth in, before asking eh?

over a year ago

west here ford shire

T

If you dont break the odd french law somewhere along the line you would never get fuck all done . Get the house and crack on worry about the legalities of it afterwards . Waiting for permision from the french is like waiting for liverpool to win the league , they will eventually get to you but it may take 30 years "

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"My apologies. I re read your post as I wrongly assumed you were doing it yourself.

I believe British builders are pretty much the best. So bringing in a British company would be best

Plus it overcomes the language barrier. Equally should things go wrong your recourse will be the British courts.

A good idea would be to have a quick read of building regulations

Just so you have an idea of what's happening.

But if you want advice on spotting dodgey builders that's a whole different thing.

However the previous advice stands for anyone else contemplating DIY projects and of course good luck.

"

Erm you read it right, I’m more than capable of doing most of it...

Thank you...

I maybe a TV but I’m pretty good at most things...

I can do electrical work, but am subbing that out

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Bon chance.

1 don't buy but hire bigger tools.

2 hire a scaffold tower and learn to build it

3 painting: its not throwing paint on a wall with a brush 90% is prep. First coat is a mist. Coat which is diluted white emulsion it will highlight blemishes in the surface which need to be filled.

4 buy an impact driver and 2sets of bits. (Believe me you will snap a good few.)buy Ripsaw and multi-tool.

Buy a level, basic Set square and a good bunch of pencils. Never mark out measurements in pen.

Most of all don't rush. And remember the 5ps proper planning prevent piss poor performance.

If you get stuck and YouTube can't help don't take risks. message me and I'll see what I can do I'm a construction handyman/ supervisor. Oh and one more thing. Keep all wood dry or it will twist and warp.

Oh. Most importantly. Remember what you are doing is a dangerous job. Safety is paramount. Steel boots hard hat and risk assess.

If your place is pre 1999 asbestos is a factor and you will need a survey to be done. It is present in artex ceilings. But provided it's not damaged it's not a hazard so I would repaint it or plaster over it. (Skim.)

I could go on. But I'd end up writing a book. I just love my job. But any questions or concerns feel free to message me.

"

Thanks..

I’m aware all property built in the U.K. before 2000 has most likely got asbestos, I am aware what artex is too fully CSCS qualified...

Lol yeh that made you chuckle...

TV on a building site?

Project management is part of what I used to do...

This is a 400 yr old farmhouse, 3 stories...

No asbestos !!!

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Basics first.(as already mentioned) Start by getting it watertight. Roof etc. There's nothing worse than seeing any work you've done ruined by a sudden downpour. Have an end in mind and start at the top and work down. That way you're not carrying rubbish out or materials in through finished areas. Just

Yep thought basics, but bear that in mind

Bloody good luck! "

Yep that’s what I think too

But fair do, roof only done 4 yrs ago

But loft x 2 is huge 120sq metres

So that’s my priority to insulate and make sure not leaks before winter

over a year ago

How well do you know France. What region are you in?

over a year ago

west here ford shire

It’s close to lezay & Melle

over a year ago

Don't ask Kevin at Leroy Merlin or Marc at Castorama Because they know shit !

over a year ago

"Don't ask Kevin at Leroy Merlin or Marc at Castorama Because they know shit !"

Bob at brico depot does though

By *rank speakerMan
over a year ago

Worcester

What a diverse group we are here? All sorts of helpful and judgemental advice. One thing I haven't noticed yet? Don't start in to many places at once! You end up with the whole place looking a mess and the prospect of sorting out daunting. Organise a schedule and stick to it. To reiterate my earlier point. There's nothing worse than undoing work and creating extra work when if organised correctly wasn't necessary? As mentioned earlier you could write a book? Make a plan and stick to it!

And again.

Bloody good luck!

over a year ago

"Don't ask Kevin at Leroy Merlin or Marc at Castorama Because they know shit !

Bob at brico depot does though "

yes ! We always can count on Bob

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

Having renovated properties in the uk, I would warn you that at some point you will become disheartened. Just take a few days off and then get back to it.

Exciting times for you. Good luck!

Post new Message to Thread