Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

NI contributions - in the know?

Jump to newest

By *opsy Rogers OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

I've got a bit of contribution missing and the time to pay it back but when I looked at my projected pension, it stated that I'm getting the maximum pension possible.

Shall I catch up with the payments? Is it worth it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I thought if you didn’t top up you didn’t receive the max pension pot? Isn’t that the point of offering you the opportunity to do so?

That was my understanding

over a year ago

London

"I thought if you didn’t top up you didn’t receive the max pension pot? Isn’t that the point of offering you the opportunity to do so?

That was my understanding "

After reading it that was mine too which is why I'm a tad confused. Only six and a half years to go...

By *evil-AngelWoman
over a year ago

My understanding was that you had to have so many qualifying years (30 I think) so even if you missed a few, if you've worked long enough you should still get the maximum.

over a year ago

London

"My understanding was that you had to have so many qualifying years (30 I think) so even if you missed a few, if you've worked long enough you should still get the maximum.

"

That makes sense, I've well over 36 years of full contributions. Makes me wonder why I still have to pay it!

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Leeds

To get the full amount of State Pension, you need to have 35 years worth of National Insurance

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"To get the full amount of State Pension, you need to have 35 years worth of National Insurance"

Correct

You get credits if you have had children, been a carer and one or two other circumstances so not necessarily 35 years working

By *atJWMan
over a year ago

Bishop Waltham

"My understanding was that you had to have so many qualifying years (30 I think) so even if you missed a few, if you've worked long enough you should still get the maximum.

"

Not so, I retired from a government post after 30 years plus service, that was about 8 years ago. I was told at the time that having contributed in NI for over 30 years I didn’t have to pay anymore and I was entitled to full state pension at the age of 65.

However very quietly the government change it all the same time the raised the retirement age for women and imposed the changes retrospectively.

You now have to contribute for 45 years and I can’t claim until I am 67. A lot of people I know are in the same situation and there is a sliding scale, some younger people have to work until their 70!

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Not so, I retired from a government post after 30 years plus service, that was about 8 years ago. I was told at the time that having contributed in NI for over 30 years I didn’t have to pay anymore and I was entitled to full state pension at the age of 65.

However very quietly the government change it all the same time the raised the retirement age for women and imposed the changes retrospectively.

You now have to contribute for 45 years and I can’t claim until I am 67. A lot of people I know are in the same situation and there is a sliding scale, some younger people have to work until their 70!"

Wrong!

It is 35 not 45 years - look at the gov website

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple
over a year ago

Trowbridge

It also makes a difference whether you have been contributing at the high rate or the low rate.

10 years after having worked with an employer I found out they had automatically put us on the lower rate of NI for over 20 years because we had a company pension......so a low rate pension for me; despite having to work for longer.

Our state pension is a joke compared with those in Europe; but our contributions are significantly lower.

By *atJWMan
over a year ago

Bishop Waltham

You now have to contribute for 45 years and I can’t claim until I am 67. A lot of people I know are in the same situation and there is a sliding scale, some younger people have to work until their 70!

Wrong!

It is 35 not 45 years - look at the gov website"

I’ve actually spoken to the helpline to query this, if it’s 35 years why after paying NI for over 40 years have I still not acquire enough to afford me a full state pension ?I was told by an adviser 45 contribution!

Post new Message to Thread