Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

shocked Gavin and Stacey

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I read that some viewers are shocked that in the Gavin and Stacey show there was a character called Chinese Alan and Black Seth..

In a Christmas special (apologies I mean non denomational festive holiday) they sang Fairytale of New York and used the faggot lyric..

Solidarity sisters and brothers and all other self defined genders and identities but I am shocked...

Thankfully it will be airbrushed or a notice giving context..

We are saved..

Barry Lives Matter BLM

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Now I feel very shameful for liking it.

No, I don't, it's comedy, it's not intentionally racist (in my view) although it does make us Welsh people out to be a bit backward.

So many people are way too sensitive these days. If you see someone being unfairly treated then stand up for them there and then, don't be complicit and moan about it later.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Chinese Alan was so called because he liked Chinese takeaway. I don't really see where racism comes into that, but maybe it's not a serious thread.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Dunno but they are looking at it.. perhaps Chinese Alan was using cultural appropriation..

I thought he was Chinese..

And can't remember black Seth but I do remember you cheap lazy faggot ... Caused a storm at the time but probably a snowflake storm

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Dunno but they are looking at it.. perhaps Chinese Alan was using cultural appropriation..

And can't remember black Seth but I do remember you cheap lazy faggot ... Caused a storm at the time but probably a snowflake storm"

Basically, black Seth was only in one episode, when Gavin’s mums friend Dawn was trying to organise a 3 some with a “bbc”. He turned her down as she’d supplied a photo of herself 15 years younger! Was very funny. Considering it’s fine to do the same on this site, maybe there is a double standard

over a year ago

"Dunno but they are looking at it.. perhaps Chinese Alan was using cultural appropriation..

And can't remember black Seth but I do remember you cheap lazy faggot ... Caused a storm at the time but probably a snowflake storm"

I don't agree with the whole 'snowflake' generation.

Why be offended about something that wasn't meant to offend?

Always look at context and intent first.

If you are still offended then either challenge the person that offended you or choose to ignore it and move on.

Complaining after the fact is akin to pouring water on a fire that went out a day ago.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

And can't remember black Seth but I do remember you cheap lazy faggot ... Caused a storm at the time but probably a snowflake storm

Basically, black Seth was only in one episode, when Gavin’s mums friend Dawn was trying to organise a 3 some with a “bbc”. He turned her down as she’d supplied a photo of herself 15 years younger! Was very funny. Considering it’s fine to do the same on this site, maybe there is a double standard "

I remember now...

over a year ago

Do your research peoples.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Do your research peoples."

What we missed Jim?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Do your research peoples."

Jimbo.

over a year ago

Just ban everything that’s the way forward sit in your living just staring at the wall hopefully the wall won’t offend you no wait it depends on what colour the wall is !!! Omg it’s a minefield

Post new Message to Thread