Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Racism amongst your Facebook ‘friends’

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With everything that’s going on there’s a lot of political posts and a lot of bull shit and a lot of people who I consider friends and acquaintances expressing views that are nothing short of racist.

How do you deal with that!? Tonight a guy both me and friend know very well did a post that was ‘liked’ by over 300 people and both myself and my best friend saw it (my friend is black). I could see it upset her to see how many people liked this particular post and normally I would write something to challenge it but she told me not to as this guy is nuts and not just that, I don’t really give a shit about that but I know it would start and argument and I didn’t want to be embarrassed by people seeing it. I will be saying something when I see him in person, not to have a go, just to educate but how is everyone else dealing with this kind of stuff cos it must be happening across the board?

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Sometimes it's worth discussion. If it's someone who is open to a frank conversation then I'm more than happy to have that. Sometimes those discussions just solidify my thoughts and beliefs, but other times I can see someone else's point and it helps me to know better and do better.

Other times I know I'm screaming into a void. Nothing I can say will make any difference, I'm wasting my energy even trying. Rightly or wrongly I just don't have the emotional energy at the moment to deal with that, so I unfriend and block, knowing it's the coward's way even as I do it.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Annie.

All you can do is be there as a friend and support..

I know you will do and say the right thing..

God bless you and your friend

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The only person I know who is openly racist amongst my Facebook friends is my dad, who at 84 isn't going to change his ways anytime soon..

I no longer follow him as i don't want to be continually offended

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Sometimes it's worth discussion. If it's someone who is open to a frank conversation then I'm more than happy to have that. Sometimes those discussions just solidify my thoughts and beliefs, but other times I can see someone else's point and it helps me to know better and do better.

Other times I know I'm screaming into a void. Nothing I can say will make any difference, I'm wasting my energy even trying. Rightly or wrongly I just don't have the emotional energy at the moment to deal with that, so I unfriend and block, knowing it's the coward's way even as I do it."

Agreed.

Sometimes being the support in background, for those who suffer for this crap, is more meaningful and productive.

Reply privately

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan
over a year ago

sheffield

I’ve seen a lot of this, some people have a very bigoted nature and it’s usually hidden deep inside, but when something like this is happening they feel they are allowed to air their views, so basically those deep feelings they have hit the surface and it’s not pleasant, you can try and educate him but deep down if he is just a hateful human being... you can’t change that but if he is generally misinformed then you have a chance

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've had relatives (unfortunately) sharing the typical anti Muslim Britain First bullshit without actually fact checking. Not so much nowadays but I'd actually tell them the truth and tell them that BF is a load of rubbish on their post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally Annie I left social media years ago. Not only did I find myself speaking to those I care about on the phone/ in person, but all my other “friends” on these platforms I didn’t speak to or really care what they were up to. On top of this, I found the platforms had become a place not for discussion but for many to spout vitriol and act tough behind keyboards.

Personally, I think these last couple weeks have also shown up those that are at best wilfully ignorant and in a number of cases don’t really care. However, I do think now we all Have a responsibility to call people out on unacceptable behaviours. As has been said a number of times all over the place - being silent is being complicit.

If you lose a few “friends” by doing what is right, are you really bothered?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Think intelligence has something to do with it also. The people who liked it and the person who wrote it, they aren’t the brightest bunch so no amount of explaining or discussion would change these people’s minds. It’s just so so frustrating. I’ve unfollowed loads of people over shit they’re posting and it’s something I would bring up with any of these people in person. Just didn’t want an audience watching a written argument where things can be taken the wrong way.

Frustrating!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Happy to have a discussion with anyone, I think educating others is the best thing to do, but, when people start crying that I’m a snowflake for challenging their prejudices I walk away.

I’m not a rehabilitation centre for idiots. I can’t have a discussion with someone who’s so unwilling to accept times are changing and the ‘good old days’ where no one called anyone out are gone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Honestly anyone I've seen posting things like this I've challenged. A lot of my friends who were posting these things were unaware of what the protests were about and some just thought they were for remembering people.

I don't shut them down, instead I question them and then hit them with facts until they can't disagree. Many have become private conversations when I tell them my experiences with racism that they believe doesn't exist. So far I'm happy that they have come out more educated and I didn't have to lose a friend

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Happy to have a discussion with anyone, I think educating others is the best thing to do, but, when people start crying that I’m a snowflake for challenging their prejudices I walk away.

I’m not a rehabilitation centre for idiots. I can’t have a discussion with someone who’s so unwilling to accept times are changing and the ‘good old days’ where no one called anyone out are gone. "

The good old days of biting our tongues and letting shit slide.

No ta. If you're going to be a bigot, learn to deal with the consequences rather than sticking them on other people.

And I'm stealing "rehabilitation centre for idiots".

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Happy to have a discussion with anyone, I think educating others is the best thing to do, but, when people start crying that I’m a snowflake for challenging their prejudices I walk away.

I’m not a rehabilitation centre for idiots. I can’t have a discussion with someone who’s so unwilling to accept times are changing and the ‘good old days’ where no one called anyone out are gone.

No ta. If you're going to be a bigot, learn to deal with the consequences rather than sticking them on other people.

And I'm stealing "rehabilitation centre for idiots"."

It’s genuinely how I feel at the moment

Also

Rehabilitation centre for badly behaved boys

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone being outwardly racist can go fuck themselves be they friends, family or complete strangers. Fuck em!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

And I'm stealing "rehabilitation centre for idiots".

It’s genuinely how I feel at the moment

Also

Rehabilitation centre for badly behaved boys "

Oh my god so much. Boys can sort their shit out like we had to years ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

The most racist, homophobic and closed minded person on my facebook is sadly my ex husband. I gave up years ago trying to educate him or even have a reasonable discussion on the matter. So i simply unfollowed his post, but remained friends. We see each other often due to children so, depending on who that person is and if you think you may just be wasting your breath, sometimes sadly it is better just to leave it alone. Choose your battles.

If they are not much to you however and maybe you could sway their mind, let em have it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I spent a good chunk of last night trying to explain to an ex work colleague why it's "Black Lives Matter" and not "All Lives Matter" and how the first doesn't in any way preclude the second.

It went back and forth for several hours. He threw a link to some crime stats at me that "proved" more white people were killed by police in the US than blacks. I used the same stats to illustrate that, if you take population density into consideration, no they bloody don't.

In the end, he wouldn't budge. He went on to post separate threads containing videos that supposedly showed black protestors doing various terrible things. I fact-checked them and none of them were actually what they purported to be. I didn't bother calling him on it because I was tired and I didn't want him to think I was just picking on him.

I came to the conclusion that me and him might not be Facebook friends for much longer. We have no interests, values or friends in common. He makes me sad and angry with the racist crap he posts. I probably irritate him with my lefty nonsense about respecting people. Maybe it's better if we part ways?

Also, he posted some bullshit about an ancient alien city that was recently discovered in South Africa (It's no such thing and it was discovered ages ago. Blaauboschkraal stone ruins has been around since the 16th century and was declared a national monument in 1975). The man is clearly an idiot.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Also, he posted some bullshit about an ancient alien city that was recently discovered in South Africa (It's no such thing and it was discovered ages ago. Blaauboschkraal stone ruins has been around since the 16th century and was declared a national monument in 1975). The man is clearly an idiot."

It's incredible how the idiocy often tends to permeate all parts of their minds.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I spent a good chunk of last night trying to explain to an ex work colleague why it's "Black Lives Matter" and not "All Lives Matter" and how the first doesn't in any way preclude the second.

It went back and forth for several hours. He threw a link to some crime stats at me that "proved" more white people were killed by police in the US than blacks. I used the same stats to illustrate that, if you take population density into consideration, no they bloody don't.

In the end, he wouldn't budge. He went on to post separate threads containing videos that supposedly showed black protestors doing various terrible things. I fact-checked them and none of them were actually what they purported to be. I didn't bother calling him on it because I was tired and I didn't want him to think I was just picking on him.

I came to the conclusion that me and him might not be Facebook friends for much longer. We have no interests, values or friends in common. He makes me sad and angry with the racist crap he posts. I probably irritate him with my lefty nonsense about respecting people. Maybe it's better if we part ways?

Also, he posted some bullshit about an ancient alien city that was recently discovered in South Africa (It's no such thing and it was discovered ages ago. Blaauboschkraal stone ruins has been around since the 16th century and was declared a national monument in 1975). The man is clearly an idiot."

Tell us more about this alien city please... Is it aliens as in out of space aliens.. some believe that aliens built Stonehenge

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have to say, I personally have not come across any of it from my friends thank god!

My sister did though and I had to get involved and post my thoughts along with some facts as this woman was posting the most bullshit. She didn’t actually respond which was telling!

If I see it I call it out personally because I don’t want to be that person who lets it slide.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Tell us more about this alien city please... Is it aliens as in out of space aliens.. some believe that aliens built Stonehenge "

It wasn't and they didn't.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I have to say, I personally have not come across any of it from my friends thank god!

My sister did though and I had to get involved and post my thoughts along with some facts as this woman was posting the most bullshit. She didn’t actually respond which was telling!

If I see it I call it out personally because I don’t want to be that person who lets it slide. "

I'm done letting it slide.

Making Bigots Uncomfortable Again 2020

Reply privately

over a year ago

There was a “I’m tired of this black lives matter shit, all lives matter” There was something about no riots happening when Lee Rigby was killed by two black guys, there was stats about more white people being killed by black people than vice verser. There was just a whole load of wrong!

If this person didn’t have such a big audience (including my ex) I didn’t want the embarrassment of having an online argument with a nutter who would take any disagreement with the statement badly, I would’ve said something.

It bothered me cos I’m not normally one to hold my tongue at all, even though my friend told me not to say anything.

Just makes me sad that people have these views.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Lee Rigby's mum has actually come out and asked that her son's name not be used to attack BLM.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Lee Rigby's mum has actually come out and asked that her son's name not be used to attack BLM."

That one annoys me cos people aren’t grasping that it was an act of terrorism and not a racial attack.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've received racist jokes. I've not heard a racist joke for over 20 years. I fear these protests are taking us back in time. I don't normally bother about what's going on outside of my own little world but this has annoyed me.

Reply privately

By *orbidden eastMan
over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

Honestly I don’t think there is any point of confronting anybody on social media at the moment. Purely because it’s a hotbed of people having A lot of time on their hands and different opinions.

If you’ve got a problem with him bring up with him and that’s it.

And the racism part I’ve had to deal with it all my life. But unfortunately that’s how it is. where there is bad there is good and sometimes you cannot change peoples opinions and the way they think

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe some people should look up Neda Agha-Soltan's story.

That made me feel that equality should be the goal

Reply privately

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan
over a year ago

sheffield

I love educating the knuckle staggers.. even the ones in denial “I’m not racist but...”

Reply privately

By *mooth Operator 07Man
over a year ago

in the deep mist of the valleys

"There was a “I’m tired of this black lives matter shit, all lives matter” There was something about no riots happening when Lee Rigby was killed by two black guys, there was stats about more white people being killed by black people than vice verser. There was just a whole load of wrong!

If this person didn’t have such a big audience (including my ex) I didn’t want the embarrassment of having an online argument with a nutter who would take any disagreement with the statement badly, I would’ve said something.

It bothered me cos I’m not normally one to hold my tongue at all, even though my friend told me not to say anything.

Just makes me sad that people have these views. "

Living in Cardiff like you, it saddens me the bullshit people have spouted on facebook and our city has a multi cultural vibe. The people we have known for time, have started popping out like ugly s spouting nonsense. I have remove the idiots from my Facebook as i can not give them my energy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have to say, I personally have not come across any of it from my friends thank god!

If I see it I call it out personally because I don’t want to be that person who lets it slide.

I'm done letting it slide.

Making Bigots Uncomfortable Again 2020"

Love that slogan!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Making Bigots Uncomfortable Again 2020"

I may not always pander to your posts but I do agree with that. It's very appropriate.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Ultimately I dislike the views and won't stay in contact. I'm not in fbook, thank goodness.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't do social media but I called out a couple of guys at the gym for homophobic remarks. I took a lot of shit for doing it but it has to be done.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m not on Facebook anymore so much racism on there I found lots of my so called friends have racist views most seem to constantly mention Muslim grooming gangs and the lack of police interest, I’d point out that over the years lots have been arrested charged and convicted so the argument just doesn’t stand up

Reply privately

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I got moaned at by the manager in tescos, guy made a comment about “pakis” taking all the reduced stuff. I just said don’t be a cunt and he started a scene.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i dont seem to have any (vocally) racist friends , its all been support for BLM

where i find a hard balance is between not wanting to post a disagreement on something that is meant to be for BLM but is still some form of manipulated media that i think people should recognise only harms their message

where do you draw the line between you are trying to be helpful by saying this isn't the best example or saying nothing because anything negative can be seen to be working against the movement

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m not a rehabilitation centre for idiots. I can’t have a discussion with someone who’s so unwilling to accept times are changing and the ‘good old days’ where no one called anyone out are gone. "

Wow are people now using white privilege against white people!?!?

I shouldnt joke about such things, but if I didnt I would cry

Reply privately

over a year ago

Making Bigots Uncomfortable Again 2020

Trademarking and putting on a hat!

2020 is the year I become a billionaire!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sadly this is what happens when people like Katie Hopkins, Tommy Robinson and their ilk are allowed to spout their verbal poison as realistic and ‘normal’ using their excuses of somehow being a victim and ‘they’re only brave enough to say it because everyone is thinking it’

They’re absolutely disgusting versions of humanity.

Reply privately

By *anther200Man
over a year ago

UK

I've blocked black and white contacts on Facebook because of offensive post , racism is a behaviour that comes in many colours. ALM

Reply privately

By *osie xWoman
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Why are you adding people that are ‘nuts’ to your fb?

Simply unfriendly and move on like on here. Life’s too short to associate with idiots.

You do you, that’s all that matters.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I've blocked black and white contacts on Facebook because of offensive post , racism is a behaviour that comes in many colours. ALM"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Racism is everywhere including on fabswingers with some of terms describing black people as objects

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"With everything that’s going on there’s a lot of political posts and a lot of bull shit and a lot of people who I consider friends and acquaintances expressing views that are nothing short of racist.

How do you deal with that!? Tonight a guy both me and friend know very well did a post that was ‘liked’ by over 300 people and both myself and my best friend saw it (my friend is black). I could see it upset her to see how many people liked this particular post and normally I would write something to challenge it but she told me not to as this guy is nuts and not just that, I don’t really give a shit about that but I know it would start and argument and I didn’t want to be embarrassed by people seeing it. I will be saying something when I see him in person, not to have a go, just to educate but how is everyone else dealing with this kind of stuff cos it must be happening across the board?"

Good post Annie, our experiences have been the same, not outlandishly racist posts, but ones where the understanding of racism by white people is very different from those of black ones and a complete lack of empathy.

Reply privately

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

I don’t see colour. What I see is the have nots complaining about the haves.

Work earn money and improve yourself don’t blame yourself.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I won't bother with explicit racism. I'm not going to change their views and I don't want to be friends with people like that. However I have seen a lot of ignorant comments by people who don't realise how their attitudes are perpetuating racism. Things like "I totally agree with the cause but not the vandalism/protesting in a pandemic" or people pissed off about certain tv shows being taken off air. These are the things I've challenged and to be honest it has had more impact coming from a friend. I've not had any sudden changes of heart but these things take time. What I have seen is the poster do things like like my comment despite it disagreeing with them or one friend who was rapidly posting her outrage everywhere at certain shows being taken off air go suddenly quiet when I turned her own comment back on her over how she said she treats everyone how she wants to be treated and I pointed out how I wouldn't want to be dismissed and called rediculous over things they way she was with black people.

Just this morning I had a discussion with a friends husband who did the whole "delete me if you agree with this" over vandalism of statues and all sorts of insults and stuff about people should be beaten up. I told him he would have to delete me himself as removing people over difference of opinion wasn't something I did as I don't believe echo chambers were healthy. He started to argue with me and made mention of having family who had fought in world war 2. I pointed out my oen family who had fought in both world wars including my mum's great grandfather who she had a dead man's penny for and that my nan had come over here in the early 40s to escape the nazis. I asked if this gave me more right to decide what was acceptable and stated that personally I believed that neither of us did. In the end he said that while we won't agree he wished me no ill will and that he hoped I was well and staying safe. He didn't change his mind but it but it removed some of the venom from the discussion. People often find it jarring when someone they consider a friend has totally opposing views and it becomes harder to be so hateful when you're confronted with someone you otherwise like. It doesn't help that peoppe often avoid those discussions because they're uncomfortable but that just reinforces someone's beleif that most people agree with them. I think having those discussions is important when its something you feel you can do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s shocking to read the comments in relation to this particular post as well, one guy wrote “I’m sick of this white privilege bullshit to (improper use of ‘to’ by the author, not me) being made to feel guilty for being white”

Like what the actual fuck!?

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s shocking to read the comments in relation to this particular post as well, one guy wrote “I’m sick of this white privilege bullshit to (improper use of ‘to’ by the author, not me) being made to feel guilty for being white”

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well. "

For the most part, they understand this very well. They just don't want to lose the argument. They're either unwilling to lose face by changing their viewpoint or they're enjoying provoking a reaction.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah unfortunately the worst one is actually my old man so i just school him with facts and links which in fairness is entertainment in itself

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s shocking to read the comments in relation to this particular post as well, one guy wrote “I’m sick of this white privilege bullshit to (improper use of ‘to’ by the author, not me) being made to feel guilty for being white”

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well.

For the most part, they understand this very well. They just don't want to lose the argument. They're either unwilling to lose face by changing their viewpoint or they're enjoying provoking a reaction."

sounds like both sides dont want to lose the argument so you seem to be coming across as exactly the same as those you're moaning about.just agree to disagree

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

"With everything that’s going on there’s a lot of political posts and a lot of bull shit and a lot of people who I consider friends and acquaintances expressing views that are nothing short of racist.

How do you deal with that!? Tonight a guy both me and friend know very well did a post that was ‘liked’ by over 300 people and both myself and my best friend saw it (my friend is black). I could see it upset her to see how many people liked this particular post and normally I would write something to challenge it but she told me not to as this guy is nuts and not just that, I don’t really give a shit about that but I know it would start and argument and I didn’t want to be embarrassed by people seeing it. I will be saying something when I see him in person, not to have a go, just to educate but how is everyone else dealing with this kind of stuff cos it must be happening across the board?"

what did he write?

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well. "

Totally agree, I'm white and utterly ashamed by some of the comments by other Caucasians.

It's about time we accepted it's not for us to set the agenda or decide what racism is or be defensive about it, we should shut up, listen carefully to what black people have to say and improve ourselves (and society) based on their experiences.

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

there is a very real and unfortunate thing right now is that many people feel that they are being made to feel embarrassed about being white and that it’s in some way no longer acceptable and that all white people should apologise for the actions of of those from hundreds of years ago. Only three days ago I witnessed a black guy on the phone in the park talking to some one and he actually said Na he is black if he wasn’t I wouldn’t be joining him for a game. He was actually talking about the person inside the football / basketball court. Now that’s racism that is not spoken about and white people are told to believe does not happen. This has caused real friction in all communities right now. And unfortunately the thing that has brought this all about did not happen in this country and was not rascist so it is very hard for every one to get behind. The mindless vandalism and violence will ultimately turn people rascist.

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

Totally agree, I'm white and utterly ashamed by some of the comments by other Caucasians.

It's about time we accepted it's not for us to set the agenda or decide what racism is or be defensive about it, we should shut up, listen carefully to what black people have to say and improve ourselves (and society) based on their experiences."

so you don’t think that all people should listen black white cuban and Asian ( sorry to nick a song off Will smith ) and that all people should improve???

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yep. I have a 'friend' who's a senior Civil Servant who is coming out as an advocate for Eugenics.

That said, I don't 'follow' him and I barely ever go on Facebook anymore. Does anyone?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well. there is a very real and unfortunate thing right now is that many people feel that they are being made to feel embarrassed about being white and that it’s in some way no longer acceptable and that all white people should apologise for the actions of of those from hundreds of years ago. Only three days ago I witnessed a black guy on the phone in the park talking to some one and he actually said Na he is black if he wasn’t I wouldn’t be joining him for a game. He was actually talking about the person inside the football / basketball court. Now that’s racism that is not spoken about and white people are told to believe does not happen. This has caused real friction in all communities right now. And unfortunately the thing that has brought this all about did not happen in this country and was not rascist so it is very hard for every one to get behind. The mindless vandalism and violence will ultimately turn people rascist. "

Rediculous. It's just insecurity and childish petulance and you see it every time we have gay pride or black history month. A bunch of straight white people acting like spoilt toddlers because they can't stand that not everything is about them. Your discomfort at facing the actions of other white people is absolutely nothing compared to the suffering of black people right now. Do you not see how ignorant it is to cry saying how white people are being made to feel embarrassed to be white when black people are literally dieing because they're black. Black people suffer discrimination and racial profiling but boohoo, the poor white man is uncomfortable hearing about white people doing bad things.

Also no. Nothing will turn a non-racist into a racist. If some people are looking for an excuse to be racist because a black person did something they didn't like then that's on them. They can at least own their damn racism instead of saying its black people's fault .

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well. there is a very real and unfortunate thing right now is that many people feel that they are being made to feel embarrassed about being white and that it’s in some way no longer acceptable and that all white people should apologise for the actions of of those from hundreds of years ago. Only three days ago I witnessed a black guy on the phone in the park talking to some one and he actually said Na he is black if he wasn’t I wouldn’t be joining him for a game. He was actually talking about the person inside the football / basketball court. Now that’s racism that is not spoken about and white people are told to believe does not happen. This has caused real friction in all communities right now. And unfortunately the thing that has brought this all about did not happen in this country and was not rascist so it is very hard for every one to get behind. The mindless vandalism and violence will ultimately turn people rascist.

Rediculous. It's just insecurity and childish petulance and you see it every time we have gay pride or black history month. A bunch of straight white people acting like spoilt toddlers because they can't stand that not everything is about them. Your discomfort at facing the actions of other white people is absolutely nothing compared to the suffering of black people right now. Do you not see how ignorant it is to cry saying how white people are being made to feel embarrassed to be white when black people are literally dieing because they're black. Black people suffer discrimination and racial profiling but boohoo, the poor white man is uncomfortable hearing about white people doing bad things.

Also no. Nothing will turn a non-racist into a racist. If some people are looking for an excuse to be racist because a black person did something they didn't like then that's on them. They can at least own their damn racism instead of saying its black people's fault ."

I disagree I live in what was a very diverse community which has over the past few weeks become segregated and not just whites/blacks. Bad things happen to all from all walks of life age and gender and are caused by all walks of life age and gender

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Being half white with an Asian dad but not really knowing that side of the family, I've grown up in a pretty much white world, especially in Ireland as a kid where it wasn't very multicultural, so I had quite a lot of casual racism and when make people make comments, they're like, not you though, you're alright.

So I've seen that many people hold views that are racist, even if they aren't in the Edl or far right groups.

People are always posting shit on Facebook that make me raise my eyebrows, Tory stuff or semi racist stuff.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Why can’t people understand that the black lives matter thing isn’t meant to mean black lives matter more than any other, it’s meant to mean black lives matter as well. there is a very real and unfortunate thing right now is that many people feel that they are being made to feel embarrassed about being white and that it’s in some way no longer acceptable and that all white people should apologise for the actions of of those from hundreds of years ago. Only three days ago I witnessed a black guy on the phone in the park talking to some one and he actually said Na he is black if he wasn’t I wouldn’t be joining him for a game. He was actually talking about the person inside the football / basketball court. Now that’s racism that is not spoken about and white people are told to believe does not happen. This has caused real friction in all communities right now. And unfortunately the thing that has brought this all about did not happen in this country and was not rascist so it is very hard for every one to get behind. The mindless vandalism and violence will ultimately turn people rascist.

Also no. Nothing will turn a non-racist into a racist. If some people are looking for an excuse to be racist because a black person did something they didn't like then that's on them. They can at least own their damn racism instead of saying its black people's fault ."

Excellent, erudite contribution

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Everyone should take a pause, reflect and just treat others as we like to be treated ourselves.

ALMTM

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

so you don’t think that all people should listen black white cuban and Asian ( sorry to nick a song off Will smith ) and that all people should improve??? "

Absolutely, but black communities have done a lot of listening over the centuries, being white I don't need to be mealy mouthed about it or point a grubby finger at blacks generally because a statue's been displaced into a river or a minority have engaged in anti social behaviour..the time is now to listen respectfully to what they have to say.

I was talking to a colleague the other day who was incandescent about the Bristol statue incident, whilst lamenting black people for not being able to 'get over it', spectacularly missing the irony of him referencing a historical figure, whilst being unappreciative of the impact that figure (and many others) had on the lives of blacks (and their progeny) because it doesn't fit his view.

I think this is fairly typical amongst white people who think racism isn't a contemporary issue and doesn't enable any meaningful conversation to take place because our baselines are in such different places.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

so you don’t think that all people should listen black white cuban and Asian ( sorry to nick a song off Will smith ) and that all people should improve???

Absolutely, but black communities have done a lot of listening over the centuries, being white I don't need to be mealy mouthed about it or point a grubby finger at blacks generally because a statue's been displaced into a river or a minority have engaged in anti social behaviour..the time is now to listen respectfully to what they have to say.

I was talking to a colleague the other day who was incandescent about the Bristol statue incident, whilst lamenting black people for not being able to 'get over it', spectacularly missing the irony of him referencing a historical figure, whilst being unappreciative of the impact that figure (and many others) had on the lives of blacks (and their progeny) because it doesn't fit his view.

I think this is fairly typical amongst white people who think racism isn't a contemporary issue and doesn't enable any meaningful conversation to take place because our baselines are in such different places.

"

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Hear hear

Reply privately

over a year ago

We all judge.

The amazing utopian world of fab on full tilt I see.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I have decided that I am going to report, challenge and unfriend people (where necessary) who post or repost racist material or material that I believe serves to deflect us from the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

I am in no way shape or form an expert but I recognise and feel personally compelled to educate myself and support this movement and I'd like to think that by us all continuously taking a stand and having those difficult conversations, even when this isn't making headlines and at the risk of offending our friends and families, that we can help to address the inequalities and injustices that black people face on a day to day basis.

I am four 'friends' down already this week. I am not sad that they are no longer friends but I am sad about the reason and disappointed that I am such a bad judge of character.

#BlackLivesMatter

Reply privately

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

"I have decided that I am going to report, challenge and unfriend people (where necessary) who post or repost racist material or material that I believe serves to deflect us from the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

I am in no way shape or form an expert but I recognise and feel personally compelled to educate myself and support this movement and I'd like to think that by us all continuously taking a stand and having those difficult conversations, even when this isn't making headlines and at the risk of offending our friends and families, that we can help to address the inequalities and injustices that black people face on a day to day basis.

I am four 'friends' down already this week. I am not sad that they are no longer friends but I am sad about the reason and disappointed that I am such a bad judge of character.

#BlackLivesMatter

"

what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I have decided that I am going to report, challenge and unfriend people (where necessary) who post or repost racist material or material that I believe serves to deflect us from the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

#BlackLivesMatter

"

Absolutely.

Now is a time to judge people by their character. They need to do better.

Black lives matter.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

#BlackLivesMatter

"

Well that will really show them. Right up there with footballers campaigning by not posting on indtagram for a day...

ALM2M

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... I need to do better too. I'm working on it. Always.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then"

dont forget the slave trade still going on in libya and the horrendous crimes against black women and children in africa

Reply privately

By *etasubTV/TS
over a year ago

Visiting Blackpool

Not on facebook, just a site for mining information about you

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/06/20 12:36:32]

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then"

Your post quite simply demonstrates the dire need for we the indigenous to listen.

The issue isn't about blacks killing other blacks, it's about institutionalised and systemic racism that 'enables' a culture where the summary killing of black people by the state happens.

Reply privately

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

#BlackLivesMatter

"

And that is, in a nutshell what is wrong with social media. It's all too easy to end up in a little group of like minded people not questioning each other and slowly spiralling into little cells that totally believe they are in the right, and under the mistaken impression that the whole world agrees with them.

The floyd murder is a perfect case in point, no one can argue that it's not a police brutality murder but why is it a racist murder? Would a racist do this in broad daylight, knowing he was being filmed and in the company of other officers of different ethnicities? As far as I'm aware, the copper hardly spoke, no slurs. So why was this classed as racist? Just because he was black? That's not grounds for calling it racist.

This is why you need people in your group who question the narrative.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then

Your post quite simply demonstrates the dire need for we the indigenous to listen.

The issue isn't about blacks killing other blacks, it's about institutionalised and systemic racism that 'enables' a culture where the summary killing of black people by the state happens."

do you not think it quite odd though that even more black lives were lost during a blacklivesmatter protest?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then

The issue isn't about blacks killing other blacks, it's about institutionalised and systemic racism that 'enables' a culture where the summary killing of black people by the state happens."

My point is the BLM movement started sfter a black man hot killed, yes? So why weren't the same people(BLM) Protesting over the previous deaths of black people what happened the week before, simple question

Reply privately

over a year ago

The issue isn't about blacks killing other blacks, it's about institutionalised and systemic racism that 'enables' a culture where the summary killing of black people by the state happens.

My point is the BLM movement started sfter a black man hot killed, yes? So why weren't the same people(BLM) Protesting over the previous deaths of black people what happened the week before, simple question "

most of them barely got a mention in the media either.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

#BlackLivesMatter

And that is, in a nutshell what is wrong with social media. It's all too easy to end up in a little group of like minded people not questioning each other and slowly spiralling into little cells that totally believe they are in the right, and under the mistaken impression that the whole world agrees with them.

The floyd murder is a perfect case in point, no one can argue that it's not a police brutality murder but why is it a racist murder? Would a racist do this in broad daylight, knowing he was being filmed and in the company of other officers of different ethnicities? As far as I'm aware, the copper hardly spoke, no slurs. So why was this classed as racist? Just because he was black? That's not grounds for calling it racist.

This is why you need people in your group who question the narrative. "

Questioning the narrative is really important. I am not stifling healthy conversations. I am just not putting up with racism.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

#BlackLivesMatter

Well that will really show them. Right up there with footballers campaigning by not posting on indtagram for a day...

ALM2M"

You're deflecting.

You're not addressing the issue which is #BlackLivesMatter.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

My point is the BLM movement started sfter a black man hot killed, yes? So why weren't the same people(BLM) Protesting over the previous deaths of black people what happened the week before, simple question "

I've little idea, but I've tried my best to explain in my original response to you, from my understanding.

It appears you're unable to accept that, so I suggest you engage with black people who have a strong view about BLM, assuming your interest is sincere.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal"

No. Black Lives Matter does not affect the status of non-black lives. Black lives are the focus of the current campaign because they are the ones most affected. Similarly, Save the Whales does not mean Fuck The Dolphins.

False premise. Here's why;):

a) It's reasonable to expect a better standard of behaviour from sworn law enforcement than from common street criminals

b) Black people do care about black-on-black crime. In the US, cases that have gone to trial with majority black juries and black judges tend to lean towards harsher sentences and more jail time. If you really want to know more on the subject, read Locking Up Our Own by James Forman Jr.

Just because you didn't see the outcry personally doesn't mean it didn't happen.

"My point is the BLM movement started sfter a black man hot killed, yes? So why weren't the same people(BLM) Protesting over the previous deaths of black people what happened the week before, simple question "

They were. The Black Lives Matter movement was founded in July 2013.

Reply privately

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

do you not think it quite odd though that even more black lives were lost during a blacklivesmatter protest?"

If you believe that you must think it's odd that lives are lost in wars in order to uphold principles.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

#BlackLivesMatter

what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal"

I am Irish/Greek and I am here to tell you that the inequalities that other ethic groups face in this country are not the same as the inequalities faced by black people. The inequalities are different and need to be addressed as such. I am not saying that any one group is second rate. Everyone should be treated equally and I acknowledge that they aren't. But this movement is about #BlackLivesMatter and when we ask what about this group and all lives mattering then we are not addressing the issues faced by our black communities and therefore by defualt all lives don't matter.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My point is the BLM movement started sfter a black man hot killed, yes? So why weren't the same people(BLM) Protesting over the previous deaths of black people what happened the week before, simple question

I've little idea, but I've tried my best to explain in my original response to you, from my understanding.

It appears you're unable to accept that, so I suggest you engage with black people who have a strong view about BLM, assuming your interest is sincere."

I'm trying to understand the reasoning going on today,it's blown up over George floyd and not other black deaths, which is why the BLM group started,I am sincere, it just baffles me, ok, have good day

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

It appears you're unable to accept that, so I suggest you engage with black people who have a strong view about BLM, assuming your interest is sincere."

Yes. Rather than arguing on a forum about the ways people harm each other, why not do something about it? (I'm not talking about what I am or am not doing - apart from here, being an ally - because I don't need validation cookies)

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/06/20 13:08:14]

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

#BlackLivesMatter

what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal

I am Irish/Greek and I am here to tell you that the inequalities that other ethic groups face in this country are not the same as the inequalities faced by black people. The inequalities are different and need to be addressed as such. I am not saying that any one group is second rate. Everyone should be treated equally and I acknowledge that they aren't. But this movement is about #BlackLivesMatter and when we ask what about this group and all lives mattering then we are not addressing the issues faced by our black communities and therefore by defualt all lives don't matter. "

I'm a privileged immigrant. Yes I've suffered some. And like you, I stand behind Black Lives Matter.

Reply privately

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

The movement was started in 2013 after the murder of Trayvon Martin. Many of us have been campaigning for years. But what difference should it make if someone wasn't involved in the movement 3 weeks ago but are now? Or haven't I understood your question?

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The movement was started in 2013 after the murder of Trayvon Martin. Many of us have been campaigning for years. But what difference should it make if someone wasn't involved in the movement 3 weeks ago but are now? Or haven't I understood your question? "

Quite.

I'm not interested in displaying my anti racism chops for cookies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

do you not think it quite odd though that even more black lives were lost during a blacklivesmatter protest?

If you believe that you must think it's odd that lives are lost in wars in order to uphold principles."

but those that lost their lives during the protests didnt sign up for a war they were simply in the way of others who clearly didnt think that black lives matter.sadly lives are lost during wars but they shouldnt be lost during protests

Reply privately

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

#BlackLivesMatter

Questioning the narrative is really important. I am not stifling healthy conversations. I am just not putting up with racism. "

I dont know what your idea of racism is though, you are just saying the posts on there are racist.

Looking on just this forum, it seems that some people questioning the motives of some in the BLM movement is enough to brand them a racist.

Its slippery slope that has been used often in the past to stifle debate by waving the racist card and that helps no-one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"sadly lives are lost during wars but they shouldnt be lost during protests"

...which is kind of the point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 12/06/20 13:15:54]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"sadly lives are lost during wars but they shouldnt be lost during protests

...which is kind of the point."

please go on

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

#BlackLivesMatter

Questioning the narrative is really important. I am not stifling healthy conversations. I am just not putting up with racism.

I dont know what your idea of racism is though, you are just saying the posts on there are racist.

Looking on just this forum, it seems that some people questioning the motives of some in the BLM movement is enough to brand them a racist.

Its slippery slope that has been used often in the past to stifle debate by waving the racist card and that helps no-one."

It is very, very difficult to tell the difference between "I'm going to ask stupid questions and derail repeatedly so those icky BLM people will shut up" and "I don't understand".

There are explanations in this thread and others. There is also Google.

Reply privately

By *eediousMan
over a year ago

Smallville

" what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal

No. Black Lives Matter does not affect the status of non-black lives. Black lives are the focus of the current campaign because they are the ones most affected. Similarly, Save the Whales does not mean Fuck The Dolphins.

I don't know what BLM stands for, someone please explain the definition of black lives matter? Because the week prior to george Floyd's death, 10 black people were shot and killed by other black people, I didn't see an outcry then

a) It's reasonable to expect a better standard of behaviour from sworn law enforcement than from common street criminals

b) Black people do care about black-on-black crime. In the US, cases that have gone to trial with majority black juries and black judges tend to lean towards harsher sentences and more jail time. If you really want to know more on the subject, read Locking Up Our Own by James Forman Jr.

Just because you didn't see the outcry personally doesn't mean it didn't happen.

They were. The Black Lives Matter movement was founded in July 2013. "

Thank you.

People who spout black on black crime as a defence need to understand about redlining in the US. Due to redlining by the system, Black propel ended up in undesirable housing in undesirable neighbourhoods and with all the societal pressure of no jobs, institutional racism any group of people put under those conditions and in the same spaces would see crime going up with killing happening in that neigbourhood. And because they are inhabited by black people, you’d end up with people in the same area being victim to the same people in that area. It just happened to be black people. It doesn’t inherently mean black pepper are crime-ridden.

There is such a thing as white on white crime and it happens everyday. It’s just not focused on as much as there is no negative media agenda towards white people. The bottom line is if you put people in the same space with economic deprivation, it’s amonly a matter of time before they started taking opportunities on each other and in some cases killing each other.

To me as a black person, it is simple. If you are angry because we are fighting for equality and you don’t understand the slogan black lived matter, which is pretty clear and came up because a huge number of “black” people are dying from blatant abuses from awhite supremacy system, then you really need to take a look inside and ask yourself if you are really as decent as you purport to be.

Reply privately

over a year ago

https://youtu.be/pZUgUNZaWHk I really enjoy watching people in America that can have a laugh but aren't foolish. These messages will only be heard because they are black men. White people can't get the point across. They have a few videos on the subject

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

" what about Asian polish Brazilian Jews I have friends and relatives from those Back grounds do they now not matter are they now 2nd rate in their expectations to be treated equal

Thank you.

People who spout black on black crime as a defence need to understand about redlining in the US. Due to redlining by the system, Black propel ended up in undesirable housing in undesirable neighbourhoods and with all the societal pressure of no jobs, institutional racism any group of people put under those conditions and in the same spaces would see crime going up with killing happening in that neigbourhood. And because they are inhabited by black people, you’d end up with people in the same area being victim to the same people in that area. It just happened to be black people. It doesn’t inherently mean black pepper are crime-ridden.

There is such a thing as white on white crime and it happens everyday. It’s just not focused on as much as there is no negative media agenda towards white people. The bottom line is if you put people in the same space with economic deprivation, it’s amonly a matter of time before they started taking opportunities on each other and in some cases killing each other.

To me as a black person, it is simple. If you are angry because we are fighting for equality and you don’t understand the slogan black lived matter, which is pretty clear and came up because a huge number of “black” people are dying from blatant abuses from awhite supremacy system, then you really need to take a look inside and ask yourself if you are really as decent as you purport to be."

This is a systemic issue and the system needs to be rewritten if not torn down first.

Reply privately

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

#BlackLivesMatter

Its slippery slope that has been used often in the past to stifle debate by waving the racist card and that helps no-one.

It is very, very difficult to tell the difference between "I'm going to ask stupid questions and derail repeatedly so those icky BLM people will shut up" and "I don't understand".

There are explanations in this thread and others. There is also Google."

So the people you deemed as racist just asked questions! Wow!

Reply privately

By *eediousMan
over a year ago

Smallville

Thank you.

To me as a black person, it is simple. If you are angry because we are fighting for equality and you don’t understand the slogan black lived matter, which is pretty clear and came up because a huge number of “black” people are dying from blatant abuses from awhite supremacy system, then you really need to take a look inside and ask yourself if you are really as decent as you purport to be.

This is a systemic issue and the system needs to be rewritten if not torn down first."

Very much so.

I always ask white people, who pretend there is no racism and don’t understand why this is happening, if they would prefer to be black instead of white in the world we live in.

And you know what, not one has said yes. Because they know deep down that they wouldn’t want to encounter the racist system we have to deal with.

The fact that we are not angry and burning everything says a lot about us as a people than it says about those who want this system to continue. Who’s actually more decent

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

#BlackLivesMatter

There are explanations in this thread and others. There is also Google.

So the people you deemed as racist just asked questions! Wow!"

Nope. It's a recognised argument tactic to derail.

Some people are real. Some people are trying to stop the discussion. I can't tell the difference, but plenty of resources exist.

I see your offence and stand by what I say.

Reply privately