By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’ve never seen or read it, so I just read the whole plot summary on Wikipedia

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Only temporarily

These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I’ve never seen or read it, so I just read the whole plot summary on Wikipedia "

Its a lot shorter that way

over a year ago

Frankly my dear. ..

over a year ago

"I’ve never seen or read it, so I just read the whole plot summary on Wikipedia

Its a lot shorter that way "

I know it’s a long as fuck film

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Only temporarily

These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

this is a good idea....if you watch the film without knowing the entire context giving the film a different meaning... its actually quite an uncomfortable watch when you know everything....

over a year ago

The first black woman to win an oscar

Hattie McDaniel for gone with the wind

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Only temporarily

These depictions are certainly counter to WarnerMedia’s values, so when we return the film to HBO Max, it will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

this is a good idea....if you watch the film without knowing the entire context giving the film a different meaning... its actually quite an uncomfortable watch when you know everything.... "

Agreed I think is a progressive way of dealing with it. Think it's important to see how things were and to learn from them.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"The first black woman to win an oscar

Hattie McDaniel for gone with the wind"

Exact reason why it's important to be kept.

over a year ago

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Tokenism. It took till now to decide?

I dont dispute rascism. It was Hollywood. Arts are always contentious, even biggest sellers. Its paid for by people with money and those people have agendas. (Un)Subtle and pervasive.

Don't know how best to resolve it but removal (as could happen en masse) is not the answer.

Tom and Jerry had the same issue. Now you can't watch some of them.

Discussion and evaluation of context is hard when it is hidden.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I wonder if they will do the same for Color Purple?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I wonder if they will do the same for Color Purple?"

okay...i'll bite....

so what the issue with the color purple, or did you just pluck a film out and try to compare it to gone with the wind......

because gone with the wind has been in the "problematic" category for a long...long time

over a year ago

"I wonder if they will do the same for Color Purple?

okay...i'll bite....

so what the issue with the color purple, or did you just pluck a film out and try to compare it to gone with the wind......

because gone with the wind has been in the "problematic" category for a long...long time"

I actually thought that when I read it, but couldnt be arsed responding

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I wonder if they will do the same for Color Purple?

okay...i'll bite....

because gone with the wind has been in the "problematic" category for a long...long time"

Oh my days I'm so sorry if you thought anything else other than I agree with the taking down of GWTW.

My comment on CP was referencing the clear scenes of prejudice against the POC by white people and the nasty missionary work depicted.

I'll admit to typing a less than considered reply here, in haste and for that I offer my sincere apologies.

I'm going to do some reflection.

Fabio, may I ask for your thoughts on the film?

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

I agree with these things being problematic even when you consider the context in which it was created.

Yet...

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped."

George Orwell, 1984

By *anderer8707Man
over a year ago

Telford

It's just a film. Murder is equally abhorrent (in my mind) but I don't see all the crime thrillers being removed or banned!

over a year ago

"It's just a film. Murder is equally abhorrent (in my mind) but I don't see all the crime thrillers being removed or banned!"

Or films about the holocaust

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"It's just a film. Murder is equally abhorrent (in my mind) but I don't see all the crime thrillers being removed or banned!

Or films about the holocaust "

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"It's just a film. Murder is equally abhorrent (in my mind) but I don't see all the crime thrillers being removed or banned!

Or films about the holocaust "

Is Schindler's list for example the same as gone with the wind though? Is it a direct comparison?

over a year ago

Is Schindler's list for example the same as gone with the wind though? Is it a direct comparison? "

Deaths are deaths, whether they are racial or religious, at the end of the day they are both abhorrent

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Is Schindler's list for example the same as gone with the wind though? Is it a direct comparison?

Deaths are deaths, whether they are racial or religious, at the end of the day they are both abhorrent"

really... Schindlers list is based on a true story and a real person...so that in effect a chronicle of a real event

gpne with the wind is fiction......

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Tomorrow is another day...

Post new Message to Thread