Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Discrimination from employers?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've noticed when potential employers call me to discuss my CV, for a vacant position within their company. That when asked if I drive, their tone changes once I tell them I'll be communicating via public transport! Is this common with others seeking work?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

[Removed by poster at 10/06/20 09:02:28]

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I imagine it wouldn't go down well if you were applying for a delivery driver job or taxi driver or community nurse.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

A lot of companies now do prefer their staff to drive because it's like me working in retail they would ask you to go to a different store so of course if you had a car are it's more convenient for them to send you

over a year ago

Its probably because public transport can't always be relied upon..

Its certainly not discrimination

over a year ago

"I've noticed when potential employers call me to discuss my CV, for a vacant position within their company. That when asked if I drive, their tone changes once I tell them I'll be communicating via public transport! Is this common with others seeking work? "

Perhaps they see it as being less reliable Seems unfair sounds like your being discriminated against

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

I think it's more to do with cov than anything else

over a year ago

"I've noticed when potential employers call me to discuss my CV, for a vacant position within their company. That when asked if I drive, their tone changes once I tell them I'll be communicating via public transport! Is this common with others seeking work? "
commuting....... just don't tell em lass

over a year ago

"I think it's more to do with cov than anything else "
coventry city why are they involved

over a year ago

Even with face coverings starting next week...

Just for the record, I never has probs finding work before covid, and I was on public transport then in retail customer service!

Next employer who rings, I will ask them first about it...

Thanks those who've added on the thread...

over a year ago

It's annoying isn't it.

My work don't care how you get there really as long as your on time for a shift.

We do get people apply for jobs who ask if they can start/finish at a certain time because of transport issues, we are on the outskirts of town and it's not on the usual bus route

We try and be as flexible as we can but nature of the business means you have to have so many staff in at certain times so sometimes being flexible just isn't an option.

We can also be sent to other sites in the region and beause the next sites are an hour or so away it is more practical to have drivers.

over a year ago

At the end of the day there are jobs out there for people who have to use public transport I think if you're safe in the situation and the crisis that we are in at the minute any employee will accept you

over a year ago

"Even with face coverings starting next week...

Just for the record, I never has probs finding work before covid, and I was on public transport then in retail customer service!

Thanks those who've added on the thread... "

i can teach you to drive if that helps

over a year ago

"At the end of the day there are jobs out there for people who have to use public transport I think if you're safe in the situation and the crisis that we are in at the minute any employee will accept you"

I might have to beg over the phone lol

Not my strongest point

over a year ago

Thanks those who've added on the thread... i can teach you to drive if that helps "

Your horse and cart Sherlock? Lol

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Bit odd as Employers are meant to be getting on the sustainable travel bandwagon.

over a year ago

It depends on the job you are applying for. Does the job require you to do late nights or early starts?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Maybe they were hoping for a lift

over a year ago

"It depends on the job you are applying for. Does the job require you to do late nights or early starts?"

The two in question, no. They were both 9-5 office customer Service/Admin work.

One of the employers said, I'll ring you back tomorrow - never did.

The other, we will Microsoft Team video you - never did.

Employers haven't the balls to say sorry but you don't drive...

It is pathetic!

over a year ago

"It depends on the job you are applying for. Does the job require you to do late nights or early starts?

It is pathetic! "

I wouldn't work for them even if they offered you the job. If that is how they treat the new ppl, imagine how they treat existing and exiting ppl?

over a year ago

Thanks those who've added on the thread... i can teach you to drive if that helps

Your horse and cart Sherlock? Lol"

lol hey nowt wrong wit horse and cart lass

over a year ago

"It depends on the job you are applying for. Does the job require you to do late nights or early starts?

It is pathetic!

I wouldn't work for them even if they offered you the job. If that is how they treat the new ppl, imagine how they treat existing and exiting ppl? "

Very true that, it did have me thinking on those same lines!

over a year ago

Thanks those who've added on the thread... i can teach you to drive if that helps

Your horse and cart Sherlock? Lollol hey nowt wrong wit horse and cart lass "

Watsons here, to give the cart a push and a kick start

By *ewsub4dommeMan
over a year ago

thirsk

I work on the bins, people with a driving license get priority

over a year ago

Your horse and cart Sherlock? Lollol hey nowt wrong wit horse and cart lass

Watsons here, to give the cart a push and a kick start "

hey horses just need hay lass

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

I wouldn't work for them even if they offered you the job. If that is how they treat the new ppl, imagine how they treat existing and exiting ppl?

Very true that, it did have me thinking on those same lines! "

I have a business that employs over couple of hundred people. One of our values is respect. Businesses are normally good with the new staff members joining their team, but do not value the exiting employees. We make sure that we treat exiting team members really well as that is what the existing team see!

over a year ago

I don't think anyone in their right mind will have to beg for a job there are plenty of retail jobs at the minute crying out for them

over a year ago

"I don't think anyone in their right mind will have to beg for a job there are plenty of retail jobs at the minute crying out for them"

Looks like it's still thin on the ground in East Lancs...

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Very true that, it did have me thinking on those same lines!

I have a business that employs over couple of hundred people. One of our values is respect. Businesses are normally good with the new staff members joining their team, but do not value the exiting employees. We make sure that we treat exiting team members really well as that is what the existing team see!"

That's the right attitude...

over a year ago

WAVES at Whistle!!!! whilst sticking a thumb up his bum (it won't be mine BTW)

over a year ago

It should state it in their job description if it doesn't it shouldn't matter

over a year ago

"It should state it in their job description if it doesn't it shouldn't matter "

I totally agree, then my time wouldn't be wasted x

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"A lot of companies now do prefer their staff to drive because it's like me working in retail they would ask you to go to a different store so of course if you had a car are it's more convenient for them to send you "

And yet when I was still commuting to work on the train I seemed to be surrounded by people talking about how they were going to spend days in different retail stores in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I've had the same in the past. I did think at the time if I was willing to get from a to b under my own steam then why should it affect my ability to do the job.

(Obviously it wasn't a driving job before someone asks).

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

Myself as a driver I would just find it odd why someone doesn’t drive.

over a year ago

If you can drive but just use public transport, say you travel by car. When you get the job state that you had to sell the car due to financial pressure from Corona but intend on getting a new one.

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

Would they really expect office workers/shop assistants etc all to drive in? Where would the staff all park? My colleague currently on furlough offered to return to work when required if he was allowed to drive and take up a parking space. His age and BAME means he is cautious about public transport. As parking spaces are extremely limited and reserved for clients, my boss said no. Post Covid-19 could see more clients drive in for meetings so I can understand his position on the parking space.

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

"Would they really expect office workers/shop assistants etc all to drive in? Where would the staff all park? My colleague currently on furlough offered to return to work when required if he was allowed to drive and take up a parking space. His age and BAME means he is cautious about public transport. As parking spaces are extremely limited and reserved for clients, my boss said no. Post Covid-19 could see more clients drive in for meetings so I can understand his position on the parking space. "

Myself wouldn’t find that a problem. I just find it odd why someone that doesn’t drive.

I look at it as it gives you freedom but I also find it odd that some people’s Mrs don’t drive and they don’t encourage them too.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

In the current climate of social distancing travelling by public transport is an issue.

With new ways of working being put in place moving forward on this, it makes sense for some employers ie retail where you maybe required to work at different locations, to ask for drivers.

I don't see anything sinister in that.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"A lot of companies now do prefer their staff to drive because it's like me working in retail they would ask you to go to a different store so of course if you had a car are it's more convenient for them to send you "

Makes sense to me.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

It is pathetic! "

Sometimes it's easier for us to cope with rejection by finding some perceived "flaw" in ourselves and focusing on that and blaming others.

If a driving licence was crucial to the jobs you've applied it would be stated on the job description/personal specification. Most jobs state if you've not heard in x time you've been unsuccessful.

Unfortunately, sometimes we just have to accept we're not what they're looking for.

Good luck.

over a year ago

"Its probably because public transport can't always be relied upon..

Its certainly not discrimination "

Of course it is.

If you don't or can't drive and do not need to be able to for the role, then its definitely discrimination to not offer the job for that reason alone.

Roads and cars can also not be relied upon.

over a year ago

"Myself as a driver I would just find it odd why someone doesn’t drive. "

There are many reasons, not everyone can get a driving licence due to medical reasons.

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Sometimes it's easier for us to cope with rejection by finding some perceived "flaw" in ourselves and focusing on that and blaming others.

If a driving licence was crucial to the jobs you've applied it would be stated on the job description/personal specification. Most jobs state if you've not heard in x time you've been unsuccessful.

Unfortunately, sometimes we just have to accept we're not what they're looking for.

Good luck. "

Not all jobs advertise/quote you need to drive.

Like I said before, I haven't needed to drive in this industry, for over 30 years, but now since lockdown I have to...(in my opinion)

My mind is open to discuss, with others who might be in the same situation.

Alas, nobody has wrote on the thread yet!

Thank you for your imput!

over a year ago

"Myself as a driver I would just find it odd why someone doesn’t drive. "

Hahaga

Expense, maybe?

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Good luck.

Like I said before, I haven't needed to drive in this industry, for over 30 years, but now since lockdown I have to...(in my opinion)

Thank you for your imput! "

Yes Unfortunately since COVID-19 iv found the same.

No idea where everyone is expected to park these cars especially in London.

over a year ago

"I've had the same in the past. I did think at the time if I was willing to get from a to b under my own steam then why should it affect my ability to do the job.

(Obviously it wasn't a driving job before someone asks).

"

Thanks, I agree x

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I daresay the matter of whether you drive or not, relates specifically to the job being applied for.

It could be the location of the role, because there's limited or no parking at the workplace. It may be that local public transport isn't available at all, or doesn't run at times surrounding the shift times of the job on offer.

It's also a throw in question employed by recruiters to test applicants with their personal transport arrangements for a role which may have early starts, say at 6am?

I've included this type of question for applicants in certain jobs, where shift patterns meant 6am starts. It also enabled me, as well as other questions, to test just how much the applicant had prepared for their interview in terms of not only about the role & our company etc, but our location, local reputation etc.

By *aastyKnixWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Might be an idea to check your insurance. A lot of policies only cover for commuting to a single place of employment.

over a year ago

"I daresay the matter of whether you drive or not, relates specifically to the job being applied for.

It could be the location of the role, because there's limited or no parking at the workplace. It may be that local public transport isn't available at all, or doesn't run at times surrounding the shift times of the job on offer.

It's also a throw in question employed by recruiters to test applicants with their personal transport arrangements for a role which may have early starts, say at 6am?

I've included this type of question for applicants in certain jobs, where shift patterns meant 6am starts. It also enabled me, as well as other questions, to test just how much the applicant had prepared for their interview in terms of not only about the role & our company etc, but our location, local reputation etc.

"

If it mattered, then the employer should specifically say in the job description advertisement.

I'm not happy my time is wasted for a Customer Service role.

They've even had the chance to express that criteria over the phone with me. Fobbing me off with 'I'll call you back tomorrow'

Well it's nothing short of unprofessional behaviour!

How bizarre....

I've noticed all the caring roles advertised on a job site, do state car owners.

Least there's one profession who have the respect!

Thank you for your employer insight, much appreciated x

over a year ago

As someone who has worked in the security industry before returning to education I can say some companies will actively discriminate against non-drivers, they feel that they’ll always have an excuse for being late and won’t be willing to travel to other sites to help cover shifts.

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Good luck.

No idea where everyone is expected to park these cars especially in London. "

If you are looking for work too, I wish you well xxx

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Good luck.

If you are looking for work too, I wish you well xxx"

Am just looking at the moment.

I'm employed but on paid leave till September.

I'm just looking about as I'm moving from Southampton to London.

Not driving in London doesn't seem to issue when it comes to non driving jobs.

over a year ago

"Bit odd as Employers are meant to be getting on the sustainable travel bandwagon.

"

over a year ago

It is pathetic!

Good luck.

Not driving in London doesn't seem to issue when it comes to non driving jobs. "

Ahh I see x

over a year ago

"If you can drive but just use public transport, say you travel by car. When you get the job state that you had to sell the car due to financial pressure from Corona but intend on getting a new one."

Thank you this is the way forward for me....

Appreciate that advice x

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

It is pathetic!

Good luck.

Not driving in London doesn't seem to issue when it comes to non driving jobs. "

They actively discourage you to drive with VERY limited street parking, exorbitant congestion and parking charges. It would cost me £250 a week to drive to work opposed to the £15 I pay going by bus.

Post new Message to Thread