Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

little britain is no more

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

just read that little britain has been pulled from iplayer and netflix.i fear that we are not long away from there being no more comedy to watch out of fear of people being offended.if anyone has a minute then go on youtube and watch steve hughes on offended https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good job I kept some dvds

Reply privately

over a year ago

So ridiculous isn’t it!

I loved Little Britain as a kid, thought it was hilarious!

I’ve never been offended by them playing a black woman, equally as I was never offended by Keith Lemon doing Craig David or Mel B!

Reply privately

By *one_wolf.Man
over a year ago

Chatham

well, now we have started censoring comedy, it isnt really a small leap to burning books

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Just cut the scenes that offend. Or is that too simple?

Reply privately

By *evaquitCouple
over a year ago

Catthorpe

Glad blackface has gone, times are moving on and it's about time too. RIP alolongside Alf Garnett and the rest of that crap. #bygoneera

Reply privately

over a year ago

I always thought it was rubbish, like Mrs Browns Boys

Reply privately

By *he riverdeep69Couple
over a year ago

North west ish

Love Little Britain - those most of the sketches will no doubt offend those offended by...well anything really. Sad day. Suppose come fly with me will go too.

Reply privately

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"Love Little Britain - those most of the sketches will no doubt offend those offended by...well anything really. Sad day. Suppose come fly with me will go too."

Reply privately

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

"Glad blackface has gone, times are moving on and it's about time too. RIP alolongside Alf Garnett and the rest of that crap. #bygoneera "

White Chicks is shown regularly on telly though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Little Britain was great I loved that old woman been sick on different races, there was no harm in it just good fun

Reply privately

over a year ago

But no doubt I will have some one calling me a racist, which I'm not

Reply privately

over a year ago

PC culture gone mad!

Reply privately

By *evaquitCouple
over a year ago

Catthorpe

"Glad blackface has gone, times are moving on and it's about time too. RIP alolongside Alf Garnett and the rest of that crap. #bygoneera

White Chicks is shown regularly on telly though."

That's crap as well for the same reasons. Don't get me confused with that rubbish, same rules apply.

Reply privately

over a year ago

im 5ft 6 and never had any problem with the dennis waterman sketch and never heard anyone overweight cry about fatfighters.

Reply privately

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Why? Because of the blacked up guy, I always took that to be a parody, was I mistaken

Reply privately

By *reakfastCouple
over a year ago

Great Dunmow

"Glad blackface has gone, times are moving on and it's about time too. RIP alolongside Alf Garnett and the rest of that crap. #bygoneera

That's crap as well for the same reasons. Don't get me confused with that rubbish, same rules apply."

But the same rules are not being applied.

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"just read that little britain has been pulled from iplayer and netflix.i fear that we are not long away from there being no more comedy to watch out of fear of people being offended.if anyone has a minute then go on youtube and watch steve hughes on offended https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo"

Has it been pulled by Netflix or by its makers?

A complete guess is Matt Lucas has decided

Reply privately

over a year ago

Guess this will have repercussions on other sketch shows. Come Fly With Me was my favourite if anyone remembers that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/06/20 21:34:26]

Reply privately

over a year ago

The mad Scottish hotel owner was the best, but I dont think the Scottish had a problem with it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just read that little britain has been pulled from iplayer and netflix.i fear that we are not long away from there being no more comedy to watch out of fear of people being offended.if anyone has a minute then go on youtube and watch steve hughes on offended https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

Has it been pulled by Netflix or by its makers?

A complete guess is Matt Lucas has decided

"

news report said bbc has decided after backlash

Reply privately

By *evaquitCouple
over a year ago

Catthorpe

That's crap as well for the same reasons. Don't get me confused with that rubbish, same rules apply.

But the same rules are not being applied. "

They do in my head and that's what I'm talking about. Loads of crap TV with those tones I could think of that should be removed (imo) and should be subject to the same treatment.

Reply privately

By *he riverdeep69Couple
over a year ago

North west ish

"The mad Scottish hotel owner was the best, but I dont think the Scottish had a problem with it "

Yaaayyysh

Reply privately

By *orbidden eastMan
over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

That is such bad news. one hand you can understand but on the other hand its comedy its supposed to make you laugh you shouldn’t too seriously

Reply privately

By *nd-DCouple
over a year ago

portsmouth

"The mad Scottish hotel owner was the best, but I dont think the Scottish had a problem with it

Yaaayyysh "

Carrot cake carrot cake have ye any nuts ?

Reply privately

By *inchyorksMan
over a year ago

huddersfield

It was only offensive in just how bad it was!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It was never funny, it was the same piss weak shite sketches every week and shouldn't have got off the commissioning team's desk. Good riddance.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I never found any of it funny to be honest...

Reply privately

over a year ago

This little britain of ours is slowly getting taken over by idiots.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Never found Matt Lucas funny at all

Reply privately

over a year ago

i think quite a few people here seem to be missing the point as to why the topic was started

Reply privately

over a year ago

wasnt because of my liking for the programme and if others liked it as well but more for the situation that has been created by it being pulled

Reply privately

over a year ago

Quite right to, jokes are always at the cost of someone else's feelings, everyone is taking the piss talking about eating meat on one thread ! Disgusting!

Reply privately

over a year ago

and where all comedy could be heading

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Proby comedy frowned upon in the future

Reply privately

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Omg it is getting silly now. What's next... the carry on films.. or bottom

Reply privately

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"well, now we have started censoring comedy, it isnt really a small leap to burning books

"

Or ripping statues down because the current young generation have decided that everything more than three years into the past is inherently racist and offensive and they don't have the safe spaces to deal with it so it must be destroyed.

How in Christ's name have we sleepwalked into this?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Snowflakes

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"well, now we have started censoring comedy, it isnt really a small leap to burning books

Or ripping statues down because the current young generation have decided that everything more than three years into the past is inherently racist and offensive and they don't have the safe spaces to deal with it so it must be destroyed.

How in Christ's name have we sleepwalked into this? "

We never sleep walked...

Lunatics have steadily taken over the asylum

Reply privately

By *zoreanMan
over a year ago

Witney

Little Britain is lush, what an amazing show, that's really good comedy. Unfortunately I can see that all the snowflakes will be offended.. oh well, it is what it is.

Reply privately

By *aradisecircusMan
over a year ago

Derry

Absolutely loved Little Britain and Bo Selecta. Howled with laughter at both of them. Little Britain took the piss out of the racists and homophobes. They may as well pull some of the older Only Fools episodes while they're at it.

We're heading for a vanilla society, or am I allowed to say vanilla

Reply privately

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

Has anyone ever seen Matt Lucas and Angel Strawbridge in the same room?

Reply privately

By *ctionnotwords69Man
over a year ago

ENFIELD

Computer says no...!!!

Reply privately

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

plenty of other shows and cartoons have been deemed inappropriate. They normally just have a warning message played at the start. Like old tom and jerry

Reply privately

By *elshcouple18Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

A sad world we live in.. Who's to blame??. Our generation or the one we are living in now?

Reply privately

By *emma HoldenTV/TS
over a year ago

Ramsey

White Chicks is shown regularly on telly though."

Just like black premiership footballers can dye their hair blonde without comment yet a girl band member does her hair in braids & gets accused of racial appropriation. You can't have one & not the other. Either both are wrong or both are ok. There cannot be different rules.

Reply privately

over a year ago

White Chicks, True Identity, Eddie Murphy in a few of his movies - black actors playing white characters.

Tropic Thunder, Little Britain, Bo Selecta - white actors playing black characters

All examples play on stereotyping the race they are portraying. Yet only the white actors are being scrutinized.

Then you can go further and say if men play woman and woman play men, then it's sexist.

Where does it end?

Personally think a "sign of the times" disclaimer at the start of the shows would be the correct way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just like black premiership footballers can dye their hair blonde without comment yet a girl band member does her hair in braids & gets accused of racial appropriation. You can't have one & not the other. Either both are wrong or both are ok. There cannot be different rules. "

Are you really comparing dying hair blonde to what you call racial appropriation?!

Blonde hair isn’t exclusive to caucasian people. People calling out girls for wearing braids is silly too. But your comparison is so off.

Reply privately

By *ornyBiMBrumMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

World's gone mad.

Saw that the dark destroyer Shaun say that he had been racially profiled when leaving court because someone fitting his description had robbed a shop nearby... How is that racist?

Looney toons has banned guns in cartoons.. (see ya yo samty Sam)

All lives matter regardless of colour but do we need this much censorship and jumping on bandwagon crap?

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s sad. , there is trouble brewing this week some certain left wing has started a march in London Saturday, I’ll say one works. Tommy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It’s sad. , there is trouble brewing this week some certain left wing has started a march in London Saturday, I’ll say one works. Tommy "

Word *

Reply privately

By *heLaserGuyMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Maybe they should also pull the black miss world, or the black music awards....

Or would it be deemed racist to have white miss world and white music awards ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Maybe they should also pull the black miss world, or the black music awards....

Or would it be deemed racist to have white miss world and white music awards ? "

It’s all become very racist and about colour sadly, I sense trouble brewing

Reply privately

By *ealArtfulDodgerMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

[Removed by poster at 10/06/20 04:43:37]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The mad Scottish hotel owner was the best, but I dont think the Scottish had a problem with it

Yaaayyysh

Carrot cake carrot cake have ye any nuts ? "

The carrot cake contains no nuts

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Good job I kept some dvds "

Open up! This is the content police!

Reply privately

By *uHorny1Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"I always thought it was rubbish, like Mrs Browns Boys"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I always thought it was rubbish, like Mrs Browns Boys

"

With you on that, it's a shame both can't be taken off air.

Absolute garbage

Reply privately

By *othin 2 proveCouple
over a year ago

Blackpool

We still have all the panel shows with all the left wing lovies tell us how self bloody righteouse they all are. xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We still have all the panel shows with all the left wing lovies tell us how self bloody righteouse they all are. xx"

I'm trying to think of the last really good show I watched and all I can remember is "They think It's over"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"We still have all the panel shows with all the left wing lovies tell us how self bloody righteouse they all are. xx

I'm trying to think of the last really good show I watched and all I can remember is "They think It's over""

think you're missing the point of the post fella

Reply privately

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

With you on this, don’t find them funny at all, bit like Ricky Gervais.

Reply privately

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

They’ll be taking ‘Gary’ off only fools and horses next.

Remember when some journalist tracked down the real life ‘cool runnings’ team to ask if they minded white people dressing as them and ‘blacking up’ and they were like ‘shut up man, we are flattered’

In a similar thing my mate is absolutely nuts and she went to army/navy at twickenham a couple years back dressed as Stevie wonder (and I went as Cher in the see through body stocking) and sailors hat. The Black lads loved her and got selfies - even roping other black men they didn’t know into the ‘family photo’ and proper complimenting our efforts. I had a selfie with a man wearing his wife’s underwear - lots more revealing than me - he got complimented lots - I got a gob full and offered on in the toilets because ‘who did I think I was’!!

I’m coming back as a man.... a black man.... one who can have a laugh at himself!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They’ll be taking ‘Gary’ off only fools and horses next.

Remember when some journalist tracked down the real life ‘cool runnings’ team to ask if they minded white people dressing as them and ‘blacking up’ and they were like ‘shut up man, we are flattered’

In a similar thing my mate is absolutely nuts and she went to army/navy at twickenham a couple years back dressed as Stevie wonder (and I went as Cher in the see through body stocking) and sailors hat. The Black lads loved her and got selfies - even roping other black men they didn’t know into the ‘family photo’ and proper complimenting our efforts. I had a selfie with a man wearing his wife’s underwear - lots more revealing than me - he got complimented lots - I got a gob full and offered on in the toilets because ‘who did I think I was’!!

I’m coming back as a man.... a black man.... one who can have a laugh at himself!! "

sadly the world is full of snow flakes who take offense to everything there is no place for racism in the world but so many see light heart humor as it I read yesterday that people said the film white chicks was racist and the wayans brothers should apologise for doin white face in it

Reply privately

By *ebwizMan
over a year ago

Clevedon

. My sister put up a great excerpt from George Orwell book 1984 about how statues would be removed and street names changed. Scaringly chilly prophecy. A divisive Road we shouldn't be treading.

Reply privately

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"and the wayans brothers should apologise for doin white face in it "

If I ever get famous and someone dressed as me (not including effigys on a bonfire) I would be absolutely made up. Shitter the better!! Go for it... they can whiten up if they want, walk round with your knees in your shoes, start talking about ‘tekkin whippet t’shop’, elongate their chin to resemble jimmy hills love child. But that’s just me and I think if you can’t laugh at yourself first (which evidently most folks can’t) then don’t laugh at other people.

Reply privately

By *ream3.14159Man
over a year ago

Here & there

"just read that little britain has been pulled from iplayer and netflix.i fear that we are not long away from there being no more comedy to watch out of fear of people being offended.if anyone has a minute then go on youtube and watch steve hughes on offended https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo"

It was rubbish I'm glad they did, never liked David Walliams humour.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just read that little britain has been pulled from iplayer and netflix.i fear that we are not long away from there being no more comedy to watch out of fear of people being offended.if anyone has a minute then go on youtube and watch steve hughes on offended https://youtu.be/ceS_jkKjIgo

It was rubbish I'm glad they did, never liked David Walliams humour."

lol.yet another on here missing the point

Reply privately

over a year ago

It was rubbish I'm glad they did, never liked David Walliams humour.

lol.yet another on here missing the point"

the post was'nt about weather people like little britain or not mate

Reply privately

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

"Glad blackface has gone, times are moving on and it's about time too. RIP alolongside Alf Garnett and the rest of that crap. #bygoneera "

Reply privately

over a year ago

The whole lot was crap anyway!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The whole lot was crap anyway!!!"

lol.amazed how many on here are struggling to understand the point of the topic

Reply privately

over a year ago

That'll be my favourite movie banned soon then, The Green Mile.

I better go buy another copy on Amazon before its removed

Reply privately

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

[Removed by poster at 10/06/20 07:34:54]

Reply privately

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

"The whole lot was crap anyway!!!

lol.amazed how many on here are struggling to understand the point of the topic"

In that case, can you just explain the point in this topic?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thought Little Britain cut things close to the bone with the humour, but that was years ago, why ban it now? You simply don’t make comedy like that anymore. Then comedians like Frankie Boyle, and Roy Chubby Brown should also be banned. Political correctness is getting too heavy handed, soon we won’t be able to voice an opinion, have any sort of humour, name anything that involves a colour, surprised Blackburn hasn’t had its name changed. I agree that there are ethnic minorities being given rough justice and need equality but somethings are taken why too far.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Times change, life moves on. I'm not bothered by it, most white Male comedy is about racism, sexism or homophobia in some form

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thought Little Britain cut things close to the bone with the humour, but that was years ago, why ban it now? You simply don’t make comedy like that anymore. Then comedians like Frankie Boyle, and Roy Chubby Brown should also be banned. Political correctness is getting too heavy handed, soon we won’t be able to voice an opinion, have any sort of humour, name anything that involves a colour, surprised Blackburn hasn’t had its name changed. I agree that there are ethnic minorities being given rough justice and need equality but somethings are taken why too far. "

I actually can't wait to hear

the amazing material Chubby is writing about all of this right now..... coming to a theatre near you soon

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Thought Little Britain cut things close to the bone with the humour, but that was years ago, why ban it now? You simply don’t make comedy like that anymore. Then comedians like Frankie Boyle, and Roy Chubby Brown should also be banned. Political correctness is getting too heavy handed, soon we won’t be able to voice an opinion, have any sort of humour, name anything that involves a colour, surprised Blackburn hasn’t had its name changed. I agree that there are ethnic minorities being given rough justice and need equality but somethings are taken why too far.

I actually can't wait to hear

the amazing material Chubby is writing about all of this right now..... coming to a theatre near you soon "

Ahh that'll be Blackpool then at some point!

Reply privately

By *adetMan
over a year ago

South of Ipswich

And this is only the beginning

Be careful what you wish for I'd say

Reply privately

over a year ago

In that case, can you just explain the point in this topic? "

about the direction society is heading and will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves out of fear of offending somebody

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm old enough to remember Bernard Manning and his ilk on the weekly "entertainment" show, The Comedians. What drew huge audiences then would make us cringe now.

Little Britain was 'of it's time' and enjoyed pushing the boundaries of taste and acceptability. I think the powers that be have read the zeitgeist correctly in pulling it.

Reply privately

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Good riddance to racist rubbish.

Just one tiny step in the right direction. In the bin with all of it.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

about the direction society is heading and will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves out of fear of offending somebody "

At least they are now frightened of offending, in the past this was sadly lacking

Reply privately

By *ragsterMan
over a year ago

Blackburn

No matter how big or small every joke has a victim ....but that's exactly what it is ...a friggin joke...we should all be able to laugh at ourselves...none of us are perfect in anyway shape or form...everybody should learn to be to laugh and see the lighter side of life.

Except for a couple of new comedians the vast majority wouldnt get a gig at my local village hall .. they're as funny as migraine.

They tell a few jokes at university and all of a sudden they think they are ready for national tv..with just 2 mins of shite material.

They think telling a non -interesting story with few Fucks Cunts and Twats thrown in...and add in an angry rant makes it hilariously funny... it just means they're struggling for material.

Dont know if you've noticed but the comedians who dont swear every 2 seconds are the most successful and genuinely funny and sell out arenas....I.e Peter Kay.. Michael McIntyre ....not everybody's cup of tea I grant you ... but for those who think just swearing is funny.. I feel sorry for you.

Great Britain is quickly becoming a comedy free zone...

RIP UK comedy

Reply privately

over a year ago

about the direction society is heading and will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves out of fear of offending somebody

At least they are now frightened of offending, in the past this was sadly lacking"

people are only offended if they choose to be

Reply privately

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"about the direction society is heading"

Less racist, you mean?

"will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves"

Not be racist pricks, you mean?

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

RIP UK comedy

"

Comedy is alive and well when there exist the hilarious over reactions and pearl clutching seen in this thread.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"about the direction society is heading

Less racist, you mean?

will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves

Not be racist pricks, you mean? "

meaning there will be nothing at all as everyone can claim to be offended in some way

Reply privately

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Less racist, you mean?

will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves

meaning there will be nothing at all as everyone can claim to be offended in some way"

If I came around to your house and did a huge steaming poo on your coffee table, some people would laugh really hard.

Would you be offended?

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"

It's nothing new.

The Black and White Minstrels, Alf Garnett, Love Thy Neighbour et al are not repeated. All of the above were favourites growing up and Jim Davidson my dad's favourite comedian.

Little Britain was a favourite of mine and I don't know any black person offended or ever read a comment, article by a black person who found it offensive.

Yet again a knee-jerk reaction has been made on behalf of black people by white people which will cause us more problems as we'll be accused of wanting to erase British culture.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, God save us from (well meaning but clueless) white people!

Reply privately

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"No matter how big or small every joke has a victim ....but that's exactly what it is ...a friggin joke...we should all be able to laugh at ourselves..."

Good point, and that’s how I see it as a white bloke who, by comparison, has lived a fairly privileged life.

However a black person might see it differently - after a hard day having racist comments thrown at them, they get home and see it on television like it’s normal.

As a society we can be judged on how we treat those less fortunate. I think we should do things to help them rather than say “I’m alright with it, you should be too”.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Less racist, you mean?

meaning there will be nothing at all as everyone can claim to be offended in some way

If I came around to your house and did a huge steaming poo on your coffee table, some people would laugh really hard.

Would you be offended? "

Reply privately

By *edGrayCouple
over a year ago

Swindon

about the direction society is heading and will those want to write or get into comedy have to completely hold back and not be themselves out of fear of offending somebody "

Most probably recent events will influence most aspects of life including comedy. As a society we evolve and so does comedy. What we found funny years ago does not bode well today. I have full confidence in humanities ability to find humour in most situations, but I feel there is a cultural change in ensuring we don't do it at the expense of others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Less racist, you mean?

Would you be offended? "

nope.would be a funny story to tell and also amusing as you would have to deal with the consequences.

would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?i dont as i see it for what they are and the intention to make people laugh at themselves which is something that we should all be able to do and not take ourselves so seriously

Reply privately

over a year ago

Glad i had most of my life where you can take the piss out of anything.

I get to work I'm called a fat bastard an old bastard a grey old fat bastard a window licker a white honky twat thats before i have got to my work station.

I live it

Fuck off snowflakes

Reply privately

By *hat BlokeMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

The ebb and flow of political correctness will always be there. Shows should naturally decay and die away. Having looked through the comments tho, I notice not one black person (or any colour) writing their thoughts. Sadly programs like the ones mentioned are all part of the matrix of racism, and whether that is intentional or not, it is a foundation on which stereotypes are built. If you continually bend the bar of standard, it will eventually break and you will get the backlash as we are seeing here.

If you think about it, you are being offended by not being able to watch something that’s offensive.

Reply privately

By *exfordMan
over a year ago

discombobulated land

It was pretty shit anyway

Reply privately

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?i dont as i see it for what they are and the intention to make people laugh at themselves which is something that we should all be able to do and not take ourselves so seriously"

The difference is that as a white person you probably don’t get a lot of racist abuse so you can shrug off the jokes.

If you were getting it all day in everyday life, affecting your work, then you might see it differently

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

At least they are now frightened of offending, in the past this was sadly lacking

people are only offended if they choose to be"

I think as a white male you are in a privilaged position. Old white male comedians have had their day. Hopefully racism is at last being addressed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?i dont as i see it for what they are and the intention to make people laugh at themselves which is something that we should all be able to do and not take ourselves so seriously

The difference is that as a white person you probably don’t get a lot of racist abuse so you can shrug off the jokes.

If you were getting it all day in everyday life, affecting your work, then you might see it differently "

fella,i was picked on and bullied growing up and when i first started work.it made me stronger and learnt that they are just words and i would now laugh at those doing it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Glad i had most of my life where you can take the piss out of anything.

I get to work I'm called a fat bastard an old bastard a grey old fat bastard a window licker a white honky twat thats before i have got to my work station.

I live it

Fuck off snowflakes"

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

https://youtu.be/l6BzBntT_w8

This sketch. Lol

We're going to fight the power to get out the ghetto

And he can cure a cough!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think as a white male you are in a privilaged position. Old white male comedians have had their day. Hopefully racism is at last being addressed. "

being pick on and bullied growing up and in the workplace then at no point have i ever felt privilaged.do you get offended when black comedians do white jokes?

Reply privately

By *adetMan
over a year ago

South of Ipswich

They dressed up as characters from all walks of life. Old women, Transvestites, Welsh gay guys, Scottish hotel owners for christ sake!

If you think banning little Britain is any way fighting racism then you have way too much time on your hands

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They dressed up as characters from all walks of life. Old women, Transvestites, Welsh gay guys, Scottish hotel owners for christ sake!

If you think banning little Britain is any way fighting racism then you have way too much time on your hands

"

exactly.transgender,gays,overweight people,short people(like myself) never complained yet i dont hear the white leftis moaning about all these

Reply privately

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"amusing as you would have to deal with the consequences."

Interesting how, throughout this thread, you've been talking in terms of "victims" and "consquences". Informative.

"would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?"

No, because as cishet white dude I have a whole set of unearned social privileges and advantages that people from minority groups aren't fortunate enough to enjoy.

Comedy that "punches up" at the privileged is absolutely fine. It's part of what comedy is *for*.

Comedy that "punches down" at those who aren't so lucky is just bullying.

It's made by bullies. It's enjoyed by bullies. And those who defend it are absolutely telling on themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They dressed up as characters from all walks of life. Old women, Transvestites, Welsh gay guys, Scottish hotel owners for christ sake!

exactly.transgender,gays,overweight people,short people(like myself) never complained yet i dont hear the white leftis moaning about all these"

This is all wrong ...its frowned upon for a comedian to take the piss out of black people but ok when they take the piss out of white people , people who wear glasses, fat people , short people, tall people , ginger haired people.etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think as a white male you are in a privilaged position. Old white male comedians have had their day. Hopefully racism is at last being addressed.

being pick on and bullied growing up and in the workplace then at no point have i ever felt privilaged.do you get offended when black comedians do white jokes?"

I'm mot offended by a comedy sketch called Goodness Gracious Me, that's shown on bbc IPlayer. Where Indian comedians are taking the mick out of white peoples ways and having fun at the expense of Indians and Pakistanis! It was in the 90s, a good all round comedy show.

Maybe that's the way forward, taking the piss out of all, at the same time!

.... and maybe there would be less moaning about it on a shagging site (that was)

Cheque please!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"amusing as you would have to deal with the consequences.

Interesting how, throughout this thread, you've been talking in terms of "victims" and "consquences". Informative.

would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?

No, because as cishet white dude I have a whole set of unearned social privileges and advantages that people from minority groups aren't fortunate enough to enjoy.

Comedy that "punches up" at the privileged is absolutely fine. It's part of what comedy is *for*.

It's made by bullies. It's enjoyed by bullies. And those who defend it are absolutely telling on themselves. "

What a lot of rubbish. Equality for all.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

being pick on and bullied growing up and in the workplace then at no point have i ever felt privilaged.do you get offended when black comedians do white jokes?"

Well, as white male, you are. I don't get offended. I just don't like racism, sexism or homophobia.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is a shame I’m sure there will always be snippets available on the likes of you tube etc for us to enjoy and laugh at

Reply privately

over a year ago

"amusing as you would have to deal with the consequences.

would you be offended by the white jokes richard pryor,eddie murphy or chris rock tell?

It's made by bullies. It's enjoyed by bullies. And those who defend it are absolutely telling on themselves. "

you sound like you've had many privilages that many white people would'nt get either

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

"

fella,i was picked on and bullied growing up and when i first started work.it made me stronger and learnt that they are just words and i would now laugh at those doing it"

That's not the point though. The point is that you shouldn't have to have been picked on for your background. You might say it made you stronger, but as we've seen through people's personal stories during these last few days, there is a large majority of people who have found this to have impacted their lives really badly. Should little girls of ethnic backgrounds who have been racially abused just 'man up' as you say, because that's what happened to you?

Little Britain and Bo Selecta were shows of their time. It promoted ideas that were still seen as ok, when in reality they were not. Their stereotypical jokes merely enhanced the notion that making fun of people's looks and backgrounds were ok. When in fact they were not and helped stoke further abuse, to the point of actual violence as we've seen. Would you still say the likes of Till Death Us Do Part are fine to show on TV?

A lot of people are saying 'well what about when they make fun of white people' - yet that's coming from a position of privilege no matter how you try to skew it. The majority of white people in this country have not had to face the level of persecution and difficulties other minorities have had to face in their lives. To face constant hardship in your community and then have something like a public service broadcaster allow shows that continue to fuel those sort of notions are not ok.

It's rather telling that a lot of the people who are calling others 'snowflakes' and it's 'PC gone made' are of a certain age.

Reply privately

over a year ago

being pick on and bullied growing up and in the workplace then at no point have i ever felt privilaged.do you get offended when black comedians do white jokes?

Well, as white male, you are. I don't get offended. I just don't like racism, sexism or homophobia. "

could you give me an example of these privilages please?

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is a shame I’m sure there will always be snippets available on the likes of you tube etc for us to enjoy and laugh at "

DVD sales will go through the roof now...

Good PR lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

fella,i was picked on and bullied growing up and when i first started work.it made me stronger and learnt that they are just words and i would now laugh at those doing it

That's not the point though. The point is that you shouldn't have to have been picked on for your background. You might say it made you stronger, but as we've seen through people's personal stories during these last few days, there is a large majority of people who have found this to have impacted their lives really badly. Should little girls of ethnic backgrounds who have been racially abused just 'man up' as you say, because that's what happened to you?

Little Britain and Bo Selecta were shows of their time. It promoted ideas that were still seen as ok, when in reality they were not. Their stereotypical jokes merely enhanced the notion that making fun of people's looks and backgrounds were ok. When in fact they were not and helped stoke further abuse, to the point of actual violence as we've seen. Would you still say the likes of Till Death Us Do Part are fine to show on TV?

A lot of people are saying 'well what about when they make fun of white people' - yet that's coming from a position of privilege no matter how you try to skew it. The majority of white people in this country have not had to face the level of persecution and difficulties other minorities have had to face in their lives. To face constant hardship in your community and then have something like a public service broadcaster allow shows that continue to fuel those sort of notions are not ok.

It's rather telling that a lot of the people who are calling others 'snowflakes' and it's 'PC gone made' are of a certain age. "

what about those who are gay or transgender?you not going to defend them as well?

Reply privately

over a year ago

And this is where the world is now going mad Keith Lemon apologised for Bo Selecta which is comedy Little Britain got released in 2003 no complaints 44 episodes comedy Family Guy comedy people need to realise it's comedy if there were millions of complaints when these programs were on then they would never have got televised the world has just gone stupid

Reply privately

over a year ago

"And this is where the world is now going mad Keith Lemon apologised for Bo Selecta which is comedy Little Britain got released in 2003 no complaints 44 episodes comedy Family Guy comedy people need to realise it's comedy if there were millions of complaints when these programs were on then they would never have got televised the world has just gone stupid "

.... and boy, do we need comedy right now

Reply privately

over a year ago

"And this is where the world is now going mad Keith Lemon apologised for Bo Selecta which is comedy Little Britain got released in 2003 no complaints 44 episodes comedy Family Guy comedy people need to realise it's comedy if there were millions of complaints when these programs were on then they would never have got televised the world has just gone stupid "

it was good to hear john barnes coming and and saying that he enjoyed bo selecta and that he saw it for what it was and that he wished it to continue

Reply privately

By *ragsterMan
over a year ago

Blackburn

Funny is funny....but some will find it funny, some won't and will be offended ...but the new regime of being offended at everything is tiresome.

I have a simple solution .. if I don't like it I simply don't continue to watch it...what I dont do is start preaching to others what they should or should not watch...

Viewing figures/ticket sales is the only benchmark as to what is funny to the general public.

It doesn't need Woke so called intelligent people dictating...the irony is they all preach all of the time we live in a fascist state run by nazis ... yet they are dictating and forcing their views and actions on us all whether we have asked for it or not.

History tells us not to ignore the silent majority...I'd like to think we still live in a democracy where the vote is still a valuable asset...

No doubt somebody will be offended

Reply privately

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"Times change, life moves on. I'm not bothered by it, most white Male comedy is about racism, sexism or homophobia in some form"

Any specific examples of this, or are you just trying to show how woke you are with words?

Reply privately

By *ragsterMan
over a year ago

Blackburn

P.S

Being so responsible for the history of anything offensive that has happened in the world since Year dot...

Can I be the 1st person to apologise for being white and straight.

Thank you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It's rather telling that a lot of the people who are calling others 'snowflakes' and it's 'PC gone made' are of a certain age.

what about those who are gay or transgender?you not going to defend them as well?"

Don't be silly. Nothing is as bad as racism,not every type of racism not every prejudice. Only the white people and their white privilege's racism.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You see when I say anything about Little Britain or Bo Selecta or anything that's ever had any comedy in it before straight away people get on the bandwagon and started calling me a racist I find it stupid at what's going on in the world right now I've always said that all lives matter doesn't matter what skin colour you are it's like even now soaps actresses are now making a big deal about stuff..

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Well, as white male, you are. I don't get offended. I just don't like racism, sexism or homophobia.

could you give me an example of these privilages please?"

Economic

Power in our society and the world

Reply privately

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"History tells us not to ignore the silent majority...I'd like to think we still live in a democracy where the vote is still a valuable asset...

No doubt somebody will be offended

"

Indeed. Hence why the Tories keep winning elections, despite all the left wingers being absolutely convinced that they've got it in the bag. But seeing Steve Coogan deflated is always comedy gold

Reply privately

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I'm glad someone else finds neither of them funny , I'm not alone then

Reply privately

over a year ago

Worlds gone absolutely fucking mad.

Breathing will start offending people soon

Reply privately

over a year ago

Economic

Power in our society and the world"

lol.trust me,being brought up on benefits in a council house i have never felt economically privilaged

Reply privately

over a year ago

"P.S

Being so responsible for the history of anything offensive that has happened in the world since Year dot...

Thank you "

Damn a cock like that and 'straight'... Give it time

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I always thought it was rubbish, like Mrs Browns Boys

I'm glad someone else finds neither of them funny , I'm not alone then "

Irish innit!

I always thought the Scottish were funny

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Economic

lol.trust me,being brought up on benefits in a council house i have never felt economically privilaged"

You probably need to do a bit of reading around the subject. Education is key to understanding others struggles in society.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Economic

lol.trust me,being brought up on benefits in a council house i have never felt economically privilaged

You probably need to do a bit of reading around the subject. Education is key to understanding others struggles in society."

or perhaps you need to realise that it isnt just those of a certain colour face prejudices as well

Reply privately

By *ragsterMan
over a year ago

Blackburn

Corbyn...now there's comedy gold for ya....and all his disciples. Prime Minister of the UK..jeez.

what were you all thinking ...he's a one stop crime against the british people full stop.

I found him equally funny and offensive but not once did I start preaching and dictating to others..I just trusted the british public to have a modicum of intelligence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Black bin bags will be removed from shops soon

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

I'm what most people would call a "leftie" and have been called a "snowflake" in my time but personally I think this is absolutely ridiculous and a step too far - who's to say what is/isn't acceptable any more?

Little Britain was not and still isn't offensive to me - it did what a lot of good comedy does and took stereotypes of all walks of life, exaggerated them hugely and made ridiculous parodies of them often poking fun at those with "isms" as opposed to siding with them - yes it wasn't to everybodies taste, but that's subjective not objective.

Now I get that we're living in sensitive times and that there is a groundswell for change, and agree that there's a need for it in many areas, I also acknowledge that things that may once have been deemed acceptable can become no longer acceptable with time, but in this specific instance I honestly do think it's PC gone too far.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Did you ever watch Til Death Us Do Part? Johnny Speights scripts made it obvious that Alf was to be laughed at not laughed with because of his bigotry, with the other characters actively tackling him and belittling his views. Theres a very good tv series about dated Tv comedy of the 70s but if you lived in the 70s the racism and homophobic views were unfortunately prevelent. Til Death Us Do Part was ground breaking in actually tackling these attitudes head on. While others like Are you being served and It Ain't not Hot mum, milked the prejudices for laughs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Black bin bags will be removed from shops soon "

you cant say that ,they are just BIN BAGS

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Worlds gone absolutely fucking mad.

Breathing will start offending people soon"

Actually at the moment breathing does offend some people pmsl

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why? Because of the blacked up guy, I always took that to be a parody, was I mistaken"

No of course youre not mistaken. Some people are now being too poo faced about comedy. Its the fucking comedian in No10 that Im offended by who thinks allowing 50000 to die is doing a good job

People need to get offended by the right things.

Reply privately

By *ntcovMan
over a year ago

Church Gresley / Swadlincote

Usually someone being offended on someone else's behalf that causes this rubbish...guy 1 taking offence that guy 2 might be offended when in reality guy 2 doesn't give a s*it!

Reply privately

By *ntcovMan
over a year ago

Church Gresley / Swadlincote

"Black bin bags will be removed from shops soon

you cant say that ,they are just BIN BAGS "

When I was a kid, when the bin men left you a new bag for your dustbin on bin day, the local council changed the bags from black to green because they said the link between black and rubbish was not appropriate...at the same time they renamed the manholes in the road to be 'personel access chambers' because manhole was sexist...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"P.S

Thank you "

I better apologies for being white too. I hold a grievance against the Vikings who invaded our country and let's not miss out the Romans.

If we should say sorry for being white in 2020, the rest of the population in the world have apologies to make. We can't re write history.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Am I the only one who didn’t think it was funny anyway?

Reply privately

By *etasubTV/TS
over a year ago

Visiting Blackpool

Fully agree, so many "comedians" can only tell a "joke" if it contains, fuck, cunt, shit, piss etc. But to the liberal, self righteous elite, that is ok, because they say it is ok.

"No matter how big or small every joke has a victim ....but that's exactly what it is ...a friggin joke...we should all be able to laugh at ourselves...none of us are perfect in anyway shape or form...everybody should learn to be to laugh and see the lighter side of life.

Except for a couple of new comedians the vast majority wouldnt get a gig at my local village hall .. they're as funny as migraine.

They tell a few jokes at university and all of a sudden they think they are ready for national tv..with just 2 mins of shite material.

They think telling a non -interesting story with few Fucks Cunts and Twats thrown in...and add in an angry rant makes it hilariously funny... it just means they're struggling for material.

Dont know if you've noticed but the comedians who dont swear every 2 seconds are the most successful and genuinely funny and sell out arenas....I.e Peter Kay.. Michael McIntyre ....not everybody's cup of tea I grant you ... but for those who think just swearing is funny.. I feel sorry for you.

Great Britain is quickly becoming a comedy free zone...

RIP UK comedy

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s a real shame. It did and does make me laugh.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Unfortunately you can see this coming

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So ridiculous isn’t it!

I loved Little Britain as a kid, thought it was hilarious!

I’ve never been offended by them playing a black woman, equally as I was never offended by Keith Lemon doing Craig David or Mel B! "

as long as Craig David or mel b wasn't offended I dont see the issue. I believe they are all good friends and have been on his other shows too plus Keith took the piss out of white people too

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

"

what about those who are gay or transgender?you not going to defend them as well?"

Didn't realise I had to but the point still stands. Little Britain addressed these backgrounds too, yet it was Matt Lucas, who is gay, who portrayed those characters and made light of the problems gay people like he have to go through in the sketches.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The world has gone mad with political correctness. Total joke.

I'm offended that so many folk are offended!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is it not on britbox?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

what about those who are gay or transgender?you not going to defend them as well?

Didn't realise I had to but the point still stands. Little Britain addressed these backgrounds too, yet it was Matt Lucas, who is gay, who portrayed those characters and made light of the problems gay people like he have to go through in the sketches.

"

have a little read up on rowan atkinsons view of offended and intolerence.makes a good read

Reply privately

By *ip_brumMan
over a year ago

Solihull

PC gone mad, my German colleagues love Fawlty Towers in particular the episode with the Germans.

I do think some stuff should go but it’s getting extreme.

Reply privately

By *ip_brumMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Am I the only one who didn’t think it was funny anyway? "

Nope you’re not alone there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good! It was always very dated anyway, even though its less than 20 yrs old..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The world has gone mad with political correctness. Total joke.

I'm offended that so many folk are offended!"

People have lost the sense of humour that made comedy so special over the years, erase history and tell us all what to find funny

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The world has gone mad with political correctness. Total joke.

I'm offended that so many folk are offended!

People have lost the sense of humour that made comedy so special over the years, erase history and tell us all what to find funny "

Sad times.

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

Economic

You probably need to do a bit of reading around the subject. Education is key to understanding others struggles in society.

or perhaps you need to realise that it isnt just those of a certain colour face prejudices as well"

As a girl growing up in the 60's believe me, sexism was alive and kicking. Women in this country and, all over the world are treated badly.

I think you need educating.

Reply privately

over a year ago

lol.amazed how many on here are struggling to understand the point of the topic"

I never missed your point, I just shared my opinion that Little Brittan is Crap

It's comedy no one gets your point

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let's burn down Roman, the Romans were terrible people, worse than the Brit empire, these youngsters have the right idea, destroy everything, judge in hind site, they will have to kill themselves soon for polluting the planet with all their plastic phones and play stations....... Planet killers!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Economic

or perhaps you need to realise that it isnt just those of a certain colour face prejudices as well

As a girl growing up in the 60's believe me, sexism was alive and kicking. Women in this country and, all over the world are treated badly.

I think you need educating. "

and being a single white male i have also suffered like the time i was made homeless when i was young and refused help by council simply because i was working yet earning just above minimum wage.

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

Economic

I think you need educating.

and being a single white male i have also suffered like the time i was made homeless when i was young and refused help by council simply because i was working yet earning just above minimum wage."

When people talk about white or male privilege, they aren't saying that all white and male people have easy lives.

They're saying white people usually don't have to deal with racism *on top of* everything else life throws at them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/06/20 10:10:34]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good. Not read the thread but the "bitty" thing had a massive cultural impact on breastfeeding babies past 6 months, and was, at best, distasteful.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Economic

I think you need educating. "

you are correct about women all over the world being treated badly.like the thousands of black women and children being sexually assaulted in africa every year yet no worldwide protests for them

Reply privately

over a year ago

What about the gypsy community?

How many non racists are sympathetic towards them I wonder.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What about the gypsy community?

How many non racists are sympathetic towards them?"

as long as they are not breaking into other people's property/land then leaving the place full of crap when they leave iam fine (plus spin me extra fast on the walzer) I know people in the van life community (people who live in Van's) so its technically the same....just smaller wedding dresses

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You're absolutely correct.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Good. Not read the thread but the "bitty" thing had a massive cultural impact on breastfeeding babies past 6 months, and was, at best, distasteful."

Yes it should be banned, everything should be banned, I can't have kids and I find it offensive you can, babies should only be made in test tubes anyway! That would allow gender neutral birth and total equality!

And at least they didn't kill animals by ramming plastic down their throats, they didn't murder lambs and eat them,

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Good. Not read the thread but the "bitty" thing had a massive cultural impact on breastfeeding babies past 6 months, and was, at best, distasteful.

Yes it should be banned, everything should be banned, I can't have kids and I find it offensive you can, babies should only be made in test tubes anyway! That would allow gender neutral birth and total equality!

And at least they didn't kill animals by ramming plastic down their throats, they didn't murder lambs and eat them, "

shall we go after I'm a celebrity next for insect , fish and rodent cruelty?

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many non racists are sympathetic towards them? as long as they are not breaking into other people's property/land then leaving the place full of crap when they leave iam fine (plus spin me extra fast on the walzer) I know people in the van life community (people who live in Van's) so its technically the same....just smaller wedding dresses"

Those crimes are also carried out by people of all races

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many non racists are sympathetic towards them? as long as they are not breaking into other people's property/land then leaving the place full of crap when they leave iam fine (plus spin me extra fast on the walzer) I know people in the van life community (people who live in Van's) so its technically the same....just smaller wedding dresses

Those crimes are also carried out by people of all races"

Apart from spinning you faster

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many non racists are sympathetic towards them? as long as they are not breaking into other people's property/land then leaving the place full of crap when they leave iam fine (plus spin me extra fast on the walzer) I know people in the van life community (people who live in Van's) so its technically the same....just smaller wedding dresses

Those crimes are also carried out by people of all races"

yes Irish and Romanians generally

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Good. Not read the thread but the "bitty" thing had a massive cultural impact on breastfeeding babies past 6 months, and was, at best, distasteful.

And at least they didn't kill animals by ramming plastic down their throats, they didn't murder lambs and eat them, shall we go after I'm a celebrity next for insect , fish and rodent cruelty?"

Yes, it's sick eating live creatures live on TV, how can that be right, what sort of message is that!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Those crimes are also carried out by people of all races yes Irish and Romanians generally "

as I said iam all for people living alternative lifes but my experience with gypsies and the filth they leave behind has been negative. It's not racist it's just facts. Stay within the law take your crap with you when you leave then all is good

Reply privately

By *ragsterMan
over a year ago

Blackburn

I really do pity the next few generations ..life will be spent walking/talking on egg shells. Watching every word that is spoken or written for fear of offending someone somewhere....jeez...

It's all alright for the woke generation/society amongst us to say anything they like no matter what..but omg...say anything they don't agree with and it's a capital offence ...

They can certainly dish out their stuff ...but they cannot stand an alternative view on things...

How the hell did the UK ever make it to 2020 with it being such a vile racist, homophobic, xenophobic country... and yet it's the country of choice for most migrants and refugees...funny that isn't it ..

Reply privately