Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Depression and anxiety

Jump to newest

By *radfordguy665 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

You see I suffer from depression and anxiety. Let me start by saying, I don't have suicidal thought .My depression is Simple things like relationships and friendships become so trivial, so complicated.

In my brain it doesn't sit right, something seems different. I notice little differences that 'normal' people wouldn't notice.

That comment you didn't tag me in, but you tagged other people? I saw that, why didn't you tag me? What's up with me?

You read that message, I saw you did, but you didn't reply.. why didn't you reply? Have I done something to upset you?

You didn't say I love you on the phone.. do you not love me anymore? Do you love someone else instead?

They just made a comment about me. Was it a joke? Was I supposed to laugh? Or do they mean it? Are they being nice? Are they talking about me? Do they talk about me? I bet they don’t like me really.

And for all those questions I will spend hours trying to answer. Let it all build up in my mind, until it sends me to tears...... it's mental that isn't it!!! That I see things that way.

It's not only mental changes, but physical changes. I don't eat a lot, mainly rubbish, because I need it now and I need the energy from lack of sleep. Insomnia, up all night answering questions to situations that don't even exists. or sleep to much and waste half my day still feeling tired.

I still smile and I have every excuse for when you ask why.

Can anyone relate to this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ikeandmollyCouple
over a year ago

swindon

More than you would know

Molly

XX

By *r and Mrs BlackCouple
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Anxiety is a cruel mistress.... The current situation is making it a thousand times worse

I hear you..... Mrs b

By *radfordguy665 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"More than you would know

Molly

XX"

I think sometimes it helps just to read that all these issues are common and you ain't some weirdo with weird mental issues

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes, try to meditate. Exercise is amazing it will make you tired. Eat food you enjoy but wat when your hungry not bored. Read a book or audible is fab. But most of all. Stop. Breathe. You are enough !

Now I'm gonna give you 10 mins each day and that's your time to worry about things. So you can write them down. 1st is your most important, you can have upto 5.

Then once you've wrote them down. Re read them... are they logical... are they justified... are you over analysing.

Then stop worrying. Do something you love to get out of your brain, dance, sing in shower whatever it is for you.

It gets easier, lockdown is hard, anxiety is hard, depression is hard. But look at you, look at all the amazing things you've already achieved.

Set yourself little to do lists. Feel proud of your achievements. Even if all you did that day is make the bed... how nice us it after a crap day is it to climb into that nicely made bed!

You've got this... your stronger than you know xx

By *DW1983Man
over a year ago

Aberdeen, Leeds, Sheffield

I think its probably a lot more common than people realise. It might manifest itself in different ways, but I think there are lots if people who overthink things, simple things like you describe.

A lot of it is in reality probably completely insignificant, but I'm probably guilty on occasion of overthinking it too when it's actually nothing more than (as an example) the phone rang or the kettle boiled as they read the message, they got distracted with that, then sat down to watch their favourite TV programme, and just haven't got round to answering yet.

What's that quote about 'never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence' or words to that effect?

Don't be afraid to look for and ask for help if you need it, or what people might think. Speaking up is the hardest part. I know its easy to say from the outside looking in, but try not to beat yourself up over things.

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

Depression is a very lonely condition. And I agree. Misery loves company. Fortunately I am not depressed but I can relate to different shades of what you describe OP. I know someone who experiences what you describe, maybe to differing degrees to you but it all rings similar. Working on myself, challenging, learning and growing was my way of overcoming the darkness. Oh and acceptance and perspective. It helps to set yourself mini goals. Sorry this is all very bite sized. I've had a long day. But I hope this thread can give you some comfort. I am certain there are many others in the same boat as you or certainly able to relate even if they have made the journey elsewhere.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Yes, try to meditate. Exercise is amazing it will make you tired. Eat food you enjoy but wat when your hungry not bored. Read a book or audible is fab. But most of all. Stop. Breathe. You are enough !

Now I'm gonna give you 10 mins each day and that's your time to worry about things. So you can write them down. 1st is your most important, you can have upto 5.

Then once you've wrote them down. Re read them... are they logical... are they justified... are you over analysing.

Then stop worrying. Do something you love to get out of your brain, dance, sing in shower whatever it is for you.

It gets easier, lockdown is hard, anxiety is hard, depression is hard. But look at you, look at all the amazing things you've already achieved.

Set yourself little to do lists. Feel proud of your achievements. Even if all you did that day is make the bed... how nice us it after a crap day is it to climb into that nicely made bed!

You've got this... your stronger than you know xx"

This is great advice. X

over a year ago

Your not alone mate, I have it from time to time, it’s take the bigger man to bring up and let out

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

"Yes, try to meditate. Exercise is amazing it will make you tired. Eat food you enjoy but wat when your hungry not bored. Read a book or audible is fab. But most of all. Stop. Breathe. You are enough !

All good stuff here. I just remembered something I used to do. I used to write letters to the person who was causing me ill feelings. I would try to be forgiving and understanding. I would take blame out of the equation and hope that there would be a path forwards. Sometimes that path is difficult to take and not even the direction we want to travel in. But by the end of the letter there would be peace and hope. One time I did send the letter and it helped the situation. But on another occasion I thought, I don't need to send it. Just writing it was enough for me. I didn't need anyone else's actions to help myself. I could do it myself. Writing things down helped me to see my own thoughts in a different lens and was therapeutic. I kept the letter and read it a few times to myself. In the end I just put it away and forgot about it and just let it all go and one day I just woke up and those troubling thoughts which used to clud over me before I fell asleep and greet me first thing in the morning were just gone.

By *ipShakerMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

Good luck, I've been there not so long ago. I still do over analyse some things. Just remember that big STOP sign when negativity descends and think about or do something else. Good luck stay strong.

over a year ago

I get you. It’s a constant uphill struggle against that voice that whispers telling you that’s something is wrong with you.

*hugs*

You’re not alone. X

over a year ago

"Worry time" is something iv started doing, its not easy and can feel impossible as everything seems urgent and important but iv also been using STOP

(Stop- literally stop, freeze)

(Take a step back- ether physically or literally depending on the situation)

(Observe- notice whats going on inside you and around you)

(Proceed mindfully- cary on with awareness)

The 2 used in conjunction with each other can be very helpful.

over a year ago

Beautifully put together. I have never gone through what you are going through. I have had dark times in my life, but I was able to deal with it and move on from it. I commend on your courage to share this with us. I hope you find strength with dealing with your demons, and inspiring others who are going through same challenges!

over a year ago

Wow! Well put together!

over a year ago

"You see I suffer from depression and anxiety. Let me start by saying, I don't have suicidal thought .My depression is Simple things like relationships and friendships become so trivial, so complicated.

In my brain it doesn't sit right, something seems different. I notice little differences that 'normal' people wouldn't notice.

That comment you didn't tag me in, but you tagged other people? I saw that, why didn't you tag me? What's up with me?

You read that message, I saw you did, but you didn't reply.. why didn't you reply? Have I done something to upset you?

You didn't say I love you on the phone.. do you not love me anymore? Do you love someone else instead?

They just made a comment about me. Was it a joke? Was I supposed to laugh? Or do they mean it? Are they being nice? Are they talking about me? Do they talk about me? I bet they don’t like me really.

And for all those questions I will spend hours trying to answer. Let it all build up in my mind, until it sends me to tears...... it's mental that isn't it!!! That I see things that way.

It's not only mental changes, but physical changes. I don't eat a lot, mainly rubbish, because I need it now and I need the energy from lack of sleep. Insomnia, up all night answering questions to situations that don't even exists. or sleep to much and waste half my day still feeling tired.

Can anyone relate to this? "

Why are you over thinking & analysing the ifs buts & maybes?.

Stop that then you stop what seems like voices in your head.

over a year ago

"You see I suffer from depression and anxiety. Let me start by saying, I don't have suicidal thought .My depression is Simple things like relationships and friendships become so trivial, so complicated.

Can anyone relate to this? ....

"

People with depression and anxiety can't help these thoughts. It's not that easy to just "stop that"

If you can, count yourself lucky

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

MIND website has good info on mental health challenges, plus support groups for and by peeps in similar situations.

Worth a look.

Hug of support OP.

over a year ago

People with depression and anxiety can't help these thoughts. It's not that easy to just "stop that"

If you can, count yourself lucky"

You are correct in saying its not easy.

Remove i cant & replace with i can.

Im not lucky im me.

over a year ago

You are definitely not alone!

Lots of good advice on this thread already.

With this current situation, depression and anxiety issues are exacerbated as we cant do the things that would take our mind off things.

If you havent already, reach out to your gp even if it's just a telephone consultation at the moment. Get the ball rolling.

I think you are very brave to post this thread.

Good luck

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Most definitely I suffered with this for years, then after a huge row with my wife I sought help. I took a drug which levelled me out for 18 months, but that had estrogen in it, which I think is what caused my curiosity to try cross dressing. Then I took more striven tablets, now I love being a Stella, I don’t take drugs for depression and anxiety anymore, I used to go into very dark places where I thought exactly like you do..

Now I just suck cock xx

over a year ago

This is why I love the FORUMS.

When it comes to words of wisdom / advice. People on here help with positive words and places to seek help from

Lets keep the positive support gping.

over a year ago

Me and I got diagnosed Borderline personality disorder. You should check it out. Its possible you could be suffering from it. All you wrote is what I go through daily

over a year ago

Yes very much so....after many years of questioning everything, noticing slight shifts in body language, or the slightest hint of a frown that no one else sees..the tiny tiny details..finally Im at the point where I say fk it! But..and its a big but...I ve slid away from almost everyone and I work completely alone. I have my gf and three friends that I consider true friends. So I guess I ve kind of isolated myself than got paat it and sorted it.

My best wishes to you my friend, it is hard and can make life seem so confusing and to some extent threatening. I dont do much social media so I dont have those problems of ignored posts..here is my social media and thats it.

over a year ago

You've got this... your stronger than you know xx

Wow! Well put together!"

Thank you x

over a year ago

The way I handle it now is I ve turned away from people and re absorbed myself back into nature..admittedly I have the advantage that Im a backwoodsman and have always been so, and luckily even as a child when my crap started I always had nature to run to. In some respects I guess people would think Im talking to the trees and animals and in many ways I am but obviously it is me talking to me. Being absorbed in nature I have no expectations the way people do of people so the issues I struggle with do not raise their heads. Alongside this is my passion for dance and music..try that...limit your social media as that is where our expectations are higher..your posts being liked or andwered or merely acknowledged. Feel free to pm me if you wish. I may not answer straight away as I work a lot in wild places with no signal but I will answer asap. Take care. Remember, try to step out of the box of expectation..gawd knows its hard but it is doable with discipline.

over a year ago

Life is much better without people. Talking to people doesn't help, all they do is bring you down.

over a year ago

"Life is much better without people. Talking to people doesn't help, all they do is bring you down. "

Being surrounded by the right people is the key.

It's better to be alone than with the wrong people.

over a year ago

"Life is much better without people. Talking to people doesn't help, all they do is bring you down.

"

Nothing more lonely than being in a room full of the wrong people.

over a year ago

"Life is much better without people. Talking to people doesn't help, all they do is bring you down.

Nothing more lonely than being in a room full of the wrong people. "

Exactly.

I'm lucky not to be a sufferer of mental illness- but I couldn't agree more that being in a room full of the wrong people will only make whatever you're feeling worse.

Most people are only interested in what they have to say or waiting for their turn to speak.

It's exhausting.

over a year ago

"This is why I love the FORUMS.

When it comes to words of wisdom / advice. People on here help with positive words and places to seek help from

Lets keep the positive support gping.

"

over a year ago

Yes my friend I can relate, also if you want to PM me at anytime for a chat then by all means do so

over a year ago

"Life is much better without people. Talking to people doesn't help, all they do is bring you down. "

Sorry I have to disagree. If you isolate yourself the only voice you'll here is the one in your head, which doesn't always have the kindest things to say.

Surround yourself with positive, kind and generally nice people , they will see you struggling and will help.

If my friends see me having a bad time I'll get an invite to go for dinner or a pint.

Do not distance yourself from help.(mr)

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Me. I often feel worthless and dislike myself so wonder how anyone else possibly can. I am a loner in real life and prefer to be by myself which maybe is not the best. I love to walk as it clears my head but sometimes i feel as if i have the world on my shoulders weighing me down. Then i feel guilty for being unhappy when i have much more than others. Depression is a vicious circle.

over a year ago

I had a bad anxiety attack about 10 years ago,weird sort of wave like feelings comming over me, brought on by stress in a job, it eventually gave me tinnitus which now causes more stress and anxiety, it truly is a viscous circle

over a year ago

I came off of facebook 3 years ago for this reason. It was really messing with my mental health. I have been much happier since.. BUt yes, I understand what you are saying.. x

over a year ago

"I came off of facebook 3 years ago for this reason. It was really messing with my mental health. I have been much happier since.. BUt yes, I understand what you are saying.. x"

I fucking hate facebook

over a year ago

"I came off of facebook 3 years ago for this reason. It was really messing with my mental health. I have been much happier since.. BUt yes, I understand what you are saying.. x

I fucking hate facebook"

haha me too.. everyone is on it I know, but I like the ignorance is bliss...

over a year ago

"I came off of facebook 3 years ago for this reason. It was really messing with my mental health. I have been much happier since.. BUt yes, I understand what you are saying.. x

I fucking hate facebook

haha me too.. everyone is on it I know, but I like the ignorance is bliss..."

Got rid about 10 years ago

over a year ago

I fucking hate facebook

haha me too.. everyone is on it I know, but I like the ignorance is bliss...

Got rid about 10 years ago"

I'm on twitter, but I haven't got a clue how to drive that

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I fucking hate facebook"

Full of happy families and smiling faces posting childish nonsense. I am much more suited to Fab.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Quite a lot

I dwell on things to much

Cant let go of stuff

Mine is largely relationship based

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

No.... but someone close to me does. It’s very hard to know what to do for the best sometimes, telling them all things things don’t matter or are just their perception doesn’t help, but also listening, nodding and engaging in their strange view of the world doesn’t seem helpful either. Being around anxious/depressed people can be draining for both and this sometimes leads to further isolation.

No answers here sorry, but genuinely wish you well and much happier times to come

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

Easier said than done

By *hubaysiWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I get it mild but am told I overthink everything!

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Nothing more lonely than being in a room full of the wrong people. "

What are the right people like ?

Some people are so ill they struggle to be in the company of others , even support is too challenging stressful. You want someone to listen and agree with you 100% ? Or you want someone to tell you what you need to hear - but deep down you already know.

over a year ago

"

If you suffer from Depression it’s not as easy as that. There’s no “one size” fits all with either how depression manifests, or which treatment/process/medication can help to manage it.

And that’s the key word - manage. There’s a good chance somebody will never be “cured” of depression - although there has been amazing progress in understanding mental health issues , the brain is so complex we’re still only scratching the surface. And when you’ve got a condition such as depression, where there can be common symptoms, but where as I said before, it’s quite bespoke , sometimes managing it is trial and error.

I do agree that what you suggest can be a helpful and positive step, as can meditation, talking therapy , medication, light therapy etc etc, but it won’t work for everybody.

Personally - I was diagnosed with depression nearly 20 years ago. One of the things for me is when everything is good in my life, I’ll start feeling “blue”. I’ve had some very bad periods in that time, but I have now got to the point where I can recognise thoughts and behaviours which indicate that I might be entering a depressive episode , and can seek to manage it. I have found being open and honest about it with everybody helps immensely - especially with the anxiety of wondering what people’s perceptions might be if my behaviour changes due to the episode. I don’t wear my depression like a badge of honour, but by the same token I am not ashamed to admit I suffer from depression - it’s something I accept , because although I’d prefer not to suffer from it I do, and personally I feel by accepting it, then for me it’s easier to manage the condition.

OP - you aren’t alone - I hope that you are able to find techniques to manage it, and I hope that knowing you’re not alone gives you strength.

Fire

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I think if you are the type of person who 'thinks 'a lot you are more susceptible to it.

Personally I find striving for that happiness to be the toughest aspect.Im not talking about material wealth but just to be happy in life.

over a year ago

Easier said than done"

It is easier said than done...

You have 1 life which is yours so live it or live with regrets.

Me i have zero regrets or worries as its my life

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Easier said than done..

Me i have zero regrets or worries as its my life"

Not everyone thinks that way.We are all different.

over a year ago

Easier said than done..

Me i have zero regrets or worries as its my life

Not everyone thinks that way.We are all different."

Youve answered it & i bet you dont realise what youve just wrote.. your cured

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I recently listened to Limmy’s book on Audible, he talks about his mental health extensively, sometimes shockingly. He’s a tough Scot, but consistently writes (or reads in my case) about his struggles and even his suicidal thoughts.

I truly felt I’d learned something afterwards and certainly opened my eyes to your struggles

over a year ago

I totally hear you loud and clear.

I'm in that place right now.

For me it's not when those who's opinions I care nothing for pass comments or judge, it's when those I care for act differently or out of character.

"What's wrong with me, why aren't I good enough?" all that bollocks that runs through your head.

I do have PTSD and depression.

Toxic parental relationship with my mum, abusive ex (mentally and physically)

Lived with my mum for just over 18 years and my ex for almost 12.

That's 30 years out of the 42 I've been alive that needs to be undone which is gonna be a long haul. I need to remember that more often and forgive myself more often when these thoughts do come.

So, when I feel rejected by those I care about it shatters me. I'm working on it, but it really is difficult to believe I'm not a complete loser who doesn't deserve the love she craves.

And that's where I am, on the edge of the abyss.

P

over a year ago

Some people are so ill they struggle to be in the company of others , even support is too challenging stressful. You want someone to listen and agree with you 100% ? Or you want someone to tell you what you need to hear - but deep down you already know."

I don't want anything from anyone. I am reminded every single day that I am worthless and not needed. It's not depression or MH issues, it can't be 'fixed'. It's reality.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Some people are so ill they struggle to be in the company of others , even support is too challenging stressful. You want someone to listen and agree with you 100% ? Or you want someone to tell you what you need to hear - but deep down you already know.

I don't want anything from anyone. I am reminded every single day that I am worthless and not needed. It's not depression or MH issues, it can't be 'fixed'. It's reality."

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I'm going to come back to this later and read it properly, but I read the OP and boy does, that resonate.

My last gf had anxiety, and I didn't really understand it and often made it worse for her. But if this us what it's like, then maybe I suffer from it too and never realised. Or at least never realised what it was.

Thanks, OP, you've given me something to ponder. And trust me, you're not alone

By *ammy lynWoman
over a year ago

Stoke-on-trent

You're definitely not alone, my partner goes through exactly the same things, tried for years to get help but all the doctors do is prescribe medications that don't work.

We started training at a gym together three and a half years ago and that really did help as he used to train when he was younger and he felt at home in the gym working out hard. But this lockdown had really affected him.

over a year ago

I don't want anything from anyone. I am reminded every single day that I am worthless and not needed. It's not depression or MH issues, it can't be 'fixed'. It's reality."

I'm sure this isnt true . Nobody is worthless, nobody is not needed. You are important, inbox me mrs xx

over a year ago

Hi OP, how are you doing ? Xx

Post new Message to Thread