Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Homeless begging

Jump to newest

By *.D.I.D.A.S OP   Man
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

I forgot something I left at the office today so had to make a three hour round trip for the second time today. Currently just left Liverpool St. On the way back a woman came up to me. She said she wasn't d*unk and has been asking everyone all night for change. She said she is burying her mum tomorrow and needs seventeen quid for a place for the night. I don't like to just ignore the homeless even if I have nothing to give, I still like to say sorry and acknowledge them. I used to give monthly to charity but have since stopped since I don't believe most of my money goes to the grass roots but that's another topic. Instead I give water and food if I have any. Mostly I come across them outside Tesco and would offer to get a chocolate or sandwich or drink if I'm going in too. But I had no money, only a twenty note and no shops are open at this time currently. Now I just feel bad. The guilt will probably last beyond tonight when I go to sleep. I'm not asking for affirmation of my decision or anything. It's just frustrating and my conscience is going to drive me batty.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Please don't feel bad because at the moment all rough sleepers are being offered hotel accommodation or hostel accommodation regardless of whether they would normally qualify.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I would have got her some food

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"I forgot something I left at the office today so had to make a three hour round trip for the second time today. Currently just left Liverpool St. On the way back a woman came up to me. She said she wasn't d*unk and has been asking everyone all night for change. She said she is burying her mum tomorrow and needs seventeen quid for a place for the night. I don't like to just ignore the homeless even if I have nothing to give, I still like to say sorry and acknowledge them. I used to give monthly to charity but have since stopped since I don't believe most of my money goes to the grass roots but that's another topic. Instead I give water and food if I have any. Mostly I come across them outside Tesco and would offer to get a chocolate or sandwich or drink if I'm going in too. But I had no money, only a twenty note and no shops are open at this time currently. Now I just feel bad. The guilt will probably last beyond tonight when I go to sleep. I'm not asking for affirmation of my decision or anything. It's just frustrating and my conscience is going to drive me batty. "

Asking for a specific amount like £17 is an old trick. Some bloke tried it with me outside a supermarket. He wanted £2.50 for the bus to take him to the doctors he said. I asked him where, then said id give him a lift. He then said he was meeting his mate and they were both going. Fine, we can pick him up as well i said. He then told me to fuck off.

Dont feel guilty.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

After I have a ( so called ) homeless guy £10 years in Shrewsbury town centre , I vowed sadly not to give money to one again !!!!

Whilst shopping I went into an antique shop for a browse, and low and behold Who is in there buying loads of antiques !!!! He looked at me and didn't know where to put himself !!! That's all I'm afraid was my last time I gave to somebody on the street !!!

over a year ago

Last time I try to give some food to a homeless girl she was rude and said rather me to give her the money...oh well I try..

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Where would she stay ? I thought hotels were shut unless you are a key worker.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

"Last time I try to give some food to a homeless girl she was rude and said rather me to give her the money...oh well I try.. "
this is what I do now , well did ,,,, before lockdown

By *.D.I.D.A.S OP   Man
over a year ago

"So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?"
No. Are you trolling? I notice you disagree with my posts. Even when I say Marathon and Snickers are definitely not the same! No, I can't go around giving out money to everyone. Even today I encountered two homeless people. Normally it is double figures if I go for a stroll on my lunch break pre lockdown. No my point is its shitty if you ignore them and yet shitty if you can't help them but take a second to 'care'? Not sure if that's the right word. I'm bloody tired! I've noticed some are professional beggars, some will just take your money then go and score some drugs or at the very least fags or booze. In any case, I'm still grafting and I need to pay bills. Doesn't stop me feeling bad though.

over a year ago

"So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?"

Cause it’s a public forum, some people aren’t interested in playing word games

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?No. Are you trolling? I notice you disagree with my posts. Even when I say Marathon and Snickers are definitely not the same! No, I can't go around giving out money to everyone. Even today I encountered two homeless people. Normally it is double figures if I go for a stroll on my lunch break pre lockdown. No my point is its shitty if you ignore them and yet shitty if you can't help them but take a second to 'care'? Not sure if that's the right word. I'm bloody tired! I've noticed some are professional beggars, some will just take your money then go and score some drugs or at the very least fags or booze. In any case, I'm still grafting and I need to pay bills. Doesn't stop me feeling bad though. "

Trolling not at all I'm asking you why are you moaning?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?

Cause it’s a public forum, some people aren’t interested in playing word games "

Like daisy?

over a year ago

"Where would she stay ? I thought hotels were shut unless you are a key worker."

They are being used to house the homeless.

Local authorities have a duty to offer any rough sleepers temporarily accommodation at the moment.

By *.D.I.D.A.S OP   Man
over a year ago

"Where would she stay ? I thought hotels were shut unless you are a key worker."
Don't know. I tried to Google 'London hostel £17' and saw hostels. Would these be open to homeless? Homeless shelters charged £2-5 from my search. Emergency shelters are an option but she would have missed the cut off anyway. That was my haphazard research as I was walking at pace from Chancery Lane to Liverpool St to catch the train.

over a year ago

Don’t feel bad OP. Help when you can, how you can. Like others on here, I’d rather buy people food than give them money and have had abuse hurled at me when I say so...

For every genuine homeless person I suppose there’s at least one con artist?

Sleep well

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan
over a year ago

sheffield

I usually buy food.. and bottles of water

over a year ago

"Where would she stay ? I thought hotels were shut unless you are a key worker.Don't know. I tried to Google 'London hostel £17' and saw hostels. Would these be open to homeless? Homeless shelters charged £2-5 from my search. Emergency shelters are an option but she would have missed the cut off anyway. That was my haphazard research as I was walking at pace from Chancery Lane to Liverpool St to catch the train. "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/26/london-mayor-rough-sleeper-funding-run-out-sadiq-khan-homeless-hotels

This is a very useful link.

The woman would not have made to date for accommodation because the state is paying for it at the moment.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I usually buy food.. and bottles of water "

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

She might not have been homeless though. She might have travelled from her home elsewhere to be in London for her mum's funeral the next day.

By *.D.I.D.A.S OP   Man
over a year ago

If I could get her food I would have. I cudda done with a bottle of water myself but nothing is open after 11 not that she wanted food but instead money for a hostel. But yeah I thought all homeless were housed under lockdown but wasn't it on the news that the arrangement had ended? Anyway, I'm gonna try and remember to take a bunch of bananas with me next week just in case. Probably would get told to shove it up my arse though

Anyway, ten more mins then I'll make myself a cuppa. Things are always better after a cuppa supposedly.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think its pointless feeling bad but that won't stop you feeling that way.

The fact is you can't help everyone, if you do what you can that's enough.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"If I could get her food I would have. I cudda done with a bottle of water myself but nothing is open after 11 not that she wanted food but instead money for a hostel. But yeah I thought all homeless were housed under lockdown but wasn't it on the news that the arrangement had ended? Anyway, I'm gonna try and remember to take a bunch of bananas with me next week just in case. Probably would get told to shove it up my arse though

Anyway, ten more mins then I'll make myself a cuppa. Things are always better after a cuppa supposedly. "

You did what you had to do it's all good no offence meant xxx

over a year ago

The only time I've ever given someone anything was when I had a spare bottle of Pepsi Max on my way to work one morning, to a man who asked me if I had anything sugary with me as he had diabetes and he said it would be fine. Not sure how as it doesn't contain sugar.

I often get people asking for odd amounts like 20p or 70p though. I say no as I often don't have any change to spare on me.

By *.D.I.D.A.S OP   Man
over a year ago

"She might not have been homeless though. She might have travelled from her home elsewhere to be in London for her mum's funeral the next day. "
she didn't have a big bag of belongings but had a small rucksack but I wasn't making an analysis at that point. Thinking back I still wouldn't know which way to call it whether she was genuine or not. But I guess the more desperate ones always arouse suspicion more.

over a year ago

It is what it is, get over it.

over a year ago

Should of said I've got some monky dust here from Stoke on Trent .

Export strength and dya wanna boom on that and I guarantee the bollox about her Ma and nosh goes out the window .

Them lot think ya stupid and want you paying for their drugs

over a year ago

"So you should have give her the £20 why come on here to tell us about it?No. Are you trolling? I notice you disagree with my posts. Even when I say Marathon and Snickers are definitely not the same! No, I can't go around giving out money to everyone. Even today I encountered two homeless people. Normally it is double figures if I go for a stroll on my lunch break pre lockdown. No my point is its shitty if you ignore them and yet shitty if you can't help them but take a second to 'care'? Not sure if that's the right word. I'm bloody tired! I've noticed some are professional beggars, some will just take your money then go and score some drugs or at the very least fags or booze. In any case, I'm still grafting and I need to pay bills. Doesn't stop me feeling bad though. "

Why should he have felt bad, that’s just stupid,

Yes there are things that are needed to be done to help, but when we work hard to earn what we earn n happy to help for me I’d rather buy a cup of coffee n a sandwich I’d never give cash.

Well done you for posting such a sensitive subject, but just in future buy them a coffee if your inclined but never feel guilty

over a year ago

I once shared a bag of crisps with a homeless man, till he told me to buy my own one!

By *hoco DMan
over a year ago

Clapham

"Please don't feel bad because at the moment all rough sleepers are being offered hotel accommodation or hostel accommodation regardless of whether they would normally qualify."

Media propaganda I afraid , well it is in the part of London I live, the homeless are sleeping in the same spots as they always,

By *radfordguy665Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"I once shared a bag of crisps with a homeless man, till he told me to buy my own one! "

over a year ago

Don’t see many nowadays, but I have an habit of dropping a bit change if they have a dog, I don’t mean to sound cruel but some of us are barely above water ourselves, I'm sure most people would help If they could, but there are a lot of people out there with the possibility of it happening to them. Best organisation to give to are grass rooms homeless shelters and charities.

over a year ago

"I forgot something I left at the office today so had to make a three hour round trip for the second time today. Currently just left Liverpool St. On the way back a woman came up to me. She said she wasn't d*unk and has been asking everyone all night for change. She said she is burying her mum tomorrow and needs seventeen quid for a place for the night. I don't like to just ignore the homeless even if I have nothing to give, I still like to say sorry and acknowledge them. I used to give monthly to charity but have since stopped since I don't believe most of my money goes to the grass roots but that's another topic. Instead I give water and food if I have any. Mostly I come across them outside Tesco and would offer to get a chocolate or sandwich or drink if I'm going in too. But I had no money, only a twenty note and no shops are open at this time currently. Now I just feel bad. The guilt will probably last beyond tonight when I go to sleep. I'm not asking for affirmation of my decision or anything. It's just frustrating and my conscience is going to drive me batty. "

Don't feel bad. I'm guessing she might be lying, homeless generally get housed with covid free. And if she is telling truth I'd stay up all night for a funeral if needed.

I'm not usually so sceptical but I was conned last week for £2.70 for "baby milk" and then he walked off opposite direction from shop I just tell myself that I'm lucky that I can afford to give it, they're desperate and I might have stopped them mugging some old woman. And when I dont give I always feel guilty too

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I get why you may feel guilty but personally I never give cash. Sadly too many would spend it on a bottle of Bucky or drugs. I know that may be generalising but I don't want to feed an addiction or habit.

A hot tea or coffee, or maybe some food is my preference. Least that way they are fed or a bit warmer.

And yes that person is a troll.

Post new Message to Thread