Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

From #metoo to #mentoo.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I read an interesting article from an australian woman called bettina andt, to summarise it, she have been a feminist but wasnt happy about how the movement is going, she thought that it is no longer about equal rights, she is now campaigning for #mentoo to give them more rights such as over custody, what is your view over her change of thinking?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Fucking hell. Today needs to fucking end immediately. Can we have the late night nocturnal thread now?

over a year ago

Custody rights are a sensitive subject, not sure I would like to get into it

over a year ago

"Fucking hell. Today needs to fucking end immediately. Can we have the late night nocturnal thread now? "

Or kiss fuck and avoid

over a year ago

"Fucking hell. Today needs to fucking end immediately. Can we have the late night nocturnal thread now? "

over a year ago

God no. You had more rights for centuries.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Oh lord. Enough already.

over a year ago

I'm all about campaigning for men's rights. I mean everyone knows the patriarch well and truly fucks them over. Oh no wait...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm all about campaigning for men's rights. I mean everyone knows the patriarch well and truly fucks them over. Oh no wait... "

When I say "the patriarchy hurts men too" I actually mean it. I give a shit.

But this "pretend to care about male suffering to stop these feminists" crap is beneath contempt.

over a year ago

Have a break, OP. And a bun with coffee.

over a year ago

Take a day off Shag

over a year ago

"I'm all about campaigning for men's rights. I mean everyone knows the patriarch well and truly fucks them over. Oh no wait...

But this "pretend to care about male suffering to stop these feminists" crap is beneath contempt."

to raise awareness of a specific issue, doesnt require the need to demonise another. Education and understanding are the only things that truly resolve long term.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm all about campaigning for men's rights. I mean everyone knows the patriarch well and truly fucks them over. Oh no wait...

But this "pretend to care about male suffering to stop these feminists" crap is beneath contempt. to raise awareness of a specific issue, doesnt require the need to demonise another. Education and understanding are the only things that truly resolve long term."

Yes. And personally my feminism encompasses male suffering. The patriarchy hurts men too. That sounds glib, but it isn't for me.

But too much of this is just about shutting down discussion of the suffering women and minority groups face. And no. Enough. It's 2020. Stop it. Stop upholding the systems that harm people. Do better.

over a year ago

Shag, I'd be curious to know if you felt being a male has held you back in life or if you feel disadvantaged in anyway?

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

To all those commenting that they dont want talk or hear about this...

If you dont want to engage find another conversation you do...

I think this would solve 50% of the online shitposting.

The OP is has made a topic he wants to talk about and hopefully hear other views other than his own

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Not seen the article, please could you summarise how she thought feminism was bad?

over a year ago

But this "pretend to care about male suffering to stop these feminists" crap is beneath contempt. to raise awareness of a specific issue, doesnt require the need to demonise another. Education and understanding are the only things that truly resolve long term.

Yes. And personally my feminism encompasses male suffering. The patriarchy hurts men too. That sounds glib, but it isn't for me.

But too much of this is just about shutting down discussion of the suffering women and minority groups face. And no. Enough. It's 2020. Stop it. Stop upholding the systems that harm people. Do better."

Feminism is a cause that supports a better way of living for all genders, all races and all classes. It supports dismantling systems of oppression.

Complete solidarity

over a year ago

Man I’m done

over a year ago

But this "pretend to care about male suffering to stop these feminists" crap is beneath contempt. to raise awareness of a specific issue, doesnt require the need to demonise another. Education and understanding are the only things that truly resolve long term.

But too much of this is just about shutting down discussion of the suffering women and minority groups face. And no. Enough. It's 2020. Stop it. Stop upholding the systems that harm people. Do better.

Feminism is a cause that supports a better way of living for all genders, all races and all classes. It supports dismantling systems of oppression.

Complete solidarity "

Us young generation get it

over a year ago

"To all those commenting that they dont want talk or hear about this...

The OP is has made a topic he wants to talk about and hopefully hear other views other than his own "

That is right. I did that as well, it is interesting to see others view over it as well.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The OP is has made a topic he wants to talk about and hopefully hear other views other than his own "

My view, which clearly differs from the OP's, is that this is a long standing and tired, damaging technique to distract from overarching harms committed against others. That this distraction harms men who really are suffering as well as those whose suffering these "movements" want to minimise.

"I'm tired of these tactics" is a legitimate view.

over a year ago

"I read an interesting article from an australian woman called bettina andt, to summarise it, she have been a feminist but wasnt happy about how the movement is going, she thought that it is no longer about equal rights, she is now campaigning for #mentoo to give them more rights such as over custody, what is your view over her change of thinking?"

About fucking time! Third and forth wave feminism have been a disaster. I’m 100% got equal rights, but at this point we’re heading the other way and demonising a generation of young men by the sins of their grandfathers.

Just to clarify, this is said by K. The mrs of the couple. X

over a year ago

"Shag, I'd be curious to know if you felt being a male has held you back in life or if you feel disadvantaged in anyway?"

I think (just my perspective for what its worth) it's the manner of dialogue that's been the problem, not the subjects themselves.

There's so much divisive content out there countering each position as opposed to addressing the deeper rooted problems individually.

For ever BLM post, theres another highlighting an issue against the movement.

But staying on topic, I have yet to be disadvantaged by feminism and if I'm truly honest any pressure or pain I've felt about being male have largely existed due to male created environments.

I'm trying to avoid these subjects of late as they're quite difficult to discuss without being misinterpreted or degenerating into unpleasantness.

I agree be nice, show empathy etc etc etc but not everyone displays those traits and only the naive can think it's that simple,hence my previous comment...education.

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Shag, I'd be curious to know if you felt being a male has held you back in life or if you feel disadvantaged in anyway?

I think (just my perspective for what its worth) it's the manner of dialogue that's been the problem, not the subjects themselves.

There's so much divisive content out there countering each position as opposed to addressing the deeper rooted problems individually.

For ever BLM post, theres another highlighting an issue against the movement.

But staying on topic, I have yet to be disadvantaged by feminism and if I'm truly honest any pressure or pain I've felt about being male have largely existed due to male created environments.

I'm trying to avoid these subjects of late as they're quite difficult to discuss without being misinterpreted or degenerating into unpleasantness.

I agree be nice, show empathy etc etc etc but not everyone displays those traits and only the naive can think it's that simple,hence my previous comment...education. "

Divide and conquer this technique has been working for centuries.

Most these debates are online and the social media business model is to keep you engaged and on the platform.

Look at Facebook...they don't care what trump other political leaders say even if it is a lie.

They just want you clicking the site and adverts hitting your eyeballs

Charlie Kaufman (being John Malkovich) wrote something interesting 7 years and I think the world is catching up to his ideas.

https://youtu.be/AQnLSifUYaI

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Well said. I've seen far too much of this lately. Personally, I don't know enough about this discussion to get involved in a debate, I only know what I have witnessed first-hand when it comes to the bias of child custody issues having watched how a friend was treated by the courts. But just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you should try to shut all discussion about it down, people are entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether it matches yours or not.

over a year ago

Custody rights in this country are a joke

over a year ago

Complete solidarity

Us young generation get it"

Some of us old ones do too ya know

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I care about custody issues, about male victims, about the shaming of men's emotions resulting in health issues and high suicide rates.

I don't have to choose between men and women. I care about both.

over a year ago

"I read an interesting article from an australian woman called bettina andt, to summarise it, she have been a feminist but wasnt happy about how the movement is going, she thought that it is no longer about equal rights, she is now campaigning for #mentoo to give them more rights such as over custody, what is your view over her change of thinking?

About fucking time! Third and forth wave feminism have been a disaster. I’m 100% got equal rights, but at this point we’re heading the other way and demonising a generation of young men by the sins of their grandfathers.

Just to clarify, this is said by K. The mrs of the couple. X"

I agree. Some feminists are taking things too far and aren’t interested in equality for both sexes.

As for “custody rights” which are now known as “lives with”, the child/ren should come first before either the mother or father.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

For the people complaining about the subject, go find one you do like instead

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Think the use of #mentoo is divisive. In exactly the same way as when people use all lives matter when discussing #blacklivesmatter.

Feminism often deals with wanting men to take an equal share if child upbringing. So that if a child is ill it's not always the mother taking time off work, and now we have shared maternity/paternity leave. So feminists don't want a bigger share of custody. The two are two different subjects, in my opinion.

And I'm not sure how feminists are bad? It's been mentioned a few times on this thread but no examples given. feminism as I understand it wants women to have equal opportunities as men.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Think the use of #mentoo is divisive. In exactly the same way as when people use all lives matter when discussing #blacklivesmatter.

Feminism often deals with wanting men to take an equal share if child upbringing. So that if a child is ill it's not always the mother taking time off work, and now we have shared maternity/paternity leave. So feminists don't want a bigger share of custody. The two are two different subjects, in my opinion.

And I'm not sure how feminists are bad? It's been mentioned a few times on this thread but no examples given. feminism as I understand it wants women to have equal opportunities as men. "

Indeed.

I clearly remember me too encompassing male victims. It's about victims silenced by power structures. It's not #metoowomenonly

Men having sufficient custody is a feminist issue. What's good for the kids? What's good for female careers and division of labour? Men being seen as and being allowed to be caregivers. It's a red herring to me as an anti feminist talking point.

over a year ago

"Think the use of #mentoo is divisive. In exactly the same way as when people use all lives matter when discussing #blacklivesmatter.

And I'm not sure how feminists are bad? It's been mentioned a few times on this thread but no examples given. feminism as I understand it wants women to have equal opportunities as men.

Indeed.

I clearly remember me too encompassing male victims. It's about victims silenced by power structures. It's not #metoowomenonly

Men having sufficient custody is a feminist issue. What's good for the kids? What's good for female careers and division of labour? Men being seen as and being allowed to be caregivers. It's a red herring to me as an anti feminist talking point."

All of this. Agree with you both

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

"Shag, I'd be curious to know if you felt being a male has held you back in life or if you feel disadvantaged in anyway?"

But on the other side of this coin, I have never felt disadvantaged by being female. Why would I in this country? We have the same right to vote, the same access to education and healthcare, the same opportunities with regards to employment. And yes, I understand that this is not the same in all countries, and agree that it should be. But personally, I have never felt at any stage of my life that I have been at a disadvantage by being female.

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

"Shag, I'd be curious to know if you felt being a male has held you back in life or if you feel disadvantaged in anyway?

But on the other side of this coin, I have never felt disadvantaged by being female. Why would I in this country? We have the same right to vote, the same access to education and healthcare, the same opportunities with regards to employment. And yes, I understand that this is not the same in all countries, and agree that it should be. But personally, I have never felt at any stage of my life that I have been at a disadvantage by being female. "

I have always thought this too, so i find it odd when (some) women want to be treated differently in certain social settings.

It not as common now but there was time when if you went on a date the expectation was on the man to plan, transport and pay for it.

And what maybe have sex at the end of the dat?

It sounds like a form of prostitution to me but I'm sure others have a different opinion.

50/50 is just logical its morally feels better for everyone.

As for employment I think the inequality starts when women have a baby. Quite right they take time out of work but this puts them at a disadvantage.

In some cases that might 1-4 years lack of experience. Why should an employer pick a candidate with less experience?

And it can even affect men if the are the chosen parent to stay home and raise a child.

I think the government needs to radically think about how we help people who have children and get them back into work.

Like most of these inequalities there is no simple answers and lots barriers of old ideology to wade through

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

If people want to help men, there are organisations (such as ManKind) that do this in a positive way without needing to co-opt feminist movements or tear down feminism.

Unfortunately there are a lot of men who don't actually care about their fellow men and just want to attack feminism.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"If people want to help men, there are organisations (such as ManKind) that do this in a positive way without needing to co-opt feminist movements or tear down feminism.

Unfortunately there are a lot of men who don't actually care about their fellow men and just want to attack feminism. "

Agreed. Well said.

over a year ago

I think there is a male crisis that has been highlighted by the good work of feminism. It is time men developed a similar praxis to feminism as if we are only rowing the boat with one oar we are going round in circles.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think there is a male crisis that has been highlighted by the good work of feminism. It is time men developed a similar praxis to feminism as if we are only rowing the boat with one oar we are going round in circles."

I'm more than happy to stand with men in their struggles. As long as they're not trying to drag women and feminism down.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/06/20 12:58:14]

over a year ago

"I think there is a male crisis that has been highlighted by the good work of feminism. It is time men developed a similar praxis to feminism as if we are only rowing the boat with one oar we are going round in circles.

I'm more than happy to stand with men in their struggles. As long as they're not trying to drag women and feminism down."

That’s why I said we need a similar praxis. Not instead. We need to stand together.

over a year ago

"I think there is a male crisis that has been highlighted by the good work of feminism. It is time men developed a similar praxis to feminism as if we are only rowing the boat with one oar we are going round in circles.

I'm more than happy to stand with men in their struggles. As long as they're not trying to drag women and feminism down.

That’s why I said we need a similar praxis. Not instead. We need to stand together."

Could allying with feminism not be the best solution?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

That’s why I said we need a similar praxis. Not instead. We need to stand together."

My feminism is about the dismantling of the patriarchy and kyriarchy and thus encompasses the men who suffer because of it. For what it's worth.

over a year ago

I won't penalise men today for the things men have done in the past. I've never experienced sexism & I don't feel the need to create it to complain about it. Women have the same rights as men now. Let's stop calling them 'Men's Rights' & 'Women's Rights', should be about completely equal 'Human Rights' & there's plenty of places where those are being abused. When the whole world has basic human rights then maybe we can waste our time arguing over how people sit on public transport whether or not a man cutting a woman off in traffic is evidence of systemic sexism or just someone being an asshole...which is a luxury not many people realise they have.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I think there is a male crisis that has been highlighted by the good work of feminism. It is time men developed a similar praxis to feminism as if we are only rowing the boat with one oar we are going round in circles."

So in agreement with you on this. Equality for all sounds so simple yet apparently so hard to achieve

over a year ago

Is this the type of conversation you would have on a first date?

over a year ago

That’s why I said we need a similar praxis. Not instead. We need to stand together.

My feminism is about the dismantling of the patriarchy and kyriarchy and thus encompasses the men who suffer because of it. For what it's worth."

Yes however calling what men need to do feminism isn’t necessarily useful. Young men are committing suicide at alarming rates. Why? Good male role models for young men are becoming less visible. Why? Boys are more often being brought up in single parent families by their mothers. What is the impact on them?

There are serious issues to be addressed. Dealing with the issues of the kyriaechy is all part of what needs to change. Men need to be able to rethink their place in this world as the Warrior archetype, breadwinner role is dying and has left some young men with a void in terms of purpose. Male privilege rightly is being deconstructed, but men need to look deeply and discover new purpose, new ways of living. The disposability of men in society also needs to be addressed

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

I think everyone needs cake today

over a year ago

So in agreement with you on this. Equality for all sounds so simple yet apparently so hard to achieve "

It is incredibly challenging. It is so interwoven with all the intersectional issues we are facing.

We need new integral ways of thinking that can integrate the fragmentation we have created through deconstructing the structures of oppression - dominator hierarchies.

over a year ago

"I think everyone needs cake today "

Oh Lord no, I’m trying to be good this week

over a year ago

"Is this the type of conversation you would have on a first date? "

I have

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

"I think everyone needs cake today

Oh Lord no, I’m trying to be good this week "

Strawberries and grapes for you then

over a year ago

What’s on offer?

over a year ago

Happy cakes from Amsterdam. That will definitely help these threads!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Is this the type of conversation you would have on a first date?

I have "

I have too

over a year ago

I have "

Bravo. Get a 2nd?

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

So in agreement with you on this. Equality for all sounds so simple yet apparently so hard to achieve

It is incredibly challenging. It is so interwoven with all the intersectional issues we are facing.

We need new integral ways of thinking that can integrate the fragmentation we have created through deconstructing the structures of oppression - dominator hierarchies."

Agreed we all need to fight oppression on all fronts together. We're trying to outgrow the restrictions and boundaries placed on us all by the hierarchy and history. It's not an easy thing but something we must all strive for.

over a year ago

"Is this the type of conversation you would have on a first date? "

It’s perfectly normal to work out someone’s opinions on issues you’re passionate about on a first date?

over a year ago

We need new integral ways of thinking that can integrate the fragmentation we have created through deconstructing the structures of oppression - dominator hierarchies.

Agreed we all need to fight oppression on all fronts together. We're trying to outgrow the restrictions and boundaries placed on us all by the hierarchy and history. It's not an easy thing but something we must all strive for. "

Amen!

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Agreed we all need to fight oppression on all fronts together. We're trying to outgrow the restrictions and boundaries placed on us all by the hierarchy and history. It's not an easy thing but something we must all strive for. "

Absolutely this.

over a year ago

I have

Bravo. Get a 2nd? "

Not yet

over a year ago

I have

Bravo. Get a 2nd?

Not yet "

over a year ago

It’s perfectly normal to work out someone’s opinions on issues you’re passionate about on a first date?"

I don't do serious. Prefer to have a laugh. My bad maybe.

over a year ago

"I read an interesting article from an australian woman called bettina andt, to summarise it, she have been a feminist but wasnt happy about how the movement is going, she thought that it is no longer about equal rights, she is now campaigning for #mentoo to give them more rights such as over custody, what is your view over her change of thinking?

Just to clarify, this is said by K. The mrs of the couple. X"

By *arksxMan
over a year ago

Leicester / London

It’s perfectly normal to work out someone’s opinions on issues you’re passionate about on a first date?

I don't do serious. Prefer to have a laugh. My bad maybe. "

If people where having a conversation in a room you were not interested in...

Would you interrupt it to say "hey I don't like this topic"

There are lots of other topics if this one doesn't engage you

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Actually looking forward to the football threads now.

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

"Actually looking forward to the football threads now. "

Me too and I hate football

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

"Actually looking forward to the football threads now.

Me too and I hate football "

#metoo

over a year ago

Ive actually gone off football and not missed it at all! X

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

[Removed by poster at 06/06/20 14:48:08]

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Actually looking forward to the football threads now.

Me too and I hate football

#metoo "

over a year ago

I don't do serious. Prefer to have a laugh. My bad maybe.

If people where having a conversation in a room you were not interested in...

Would you interrupt it to say "hey I don't like this topic"

There are lots of other topics if this one doesn't engage you "

Possibly

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Jeez, everyone wants to start a movement. Everyone so sensitive and touchy these days

And now with lockdown, people really have nothing else to do except stir emotions.

Go back to piecing jigsaws, building Lego houses or a model train set

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 06/06/20 14:54:54]

over a year ago

Ok, you’ve done feminists today Op, I’m guessing it’s going to be cyclists again tomorrow, cause we know how much you love them ?!

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

But on the other side of this coin, I have never felt disadvantaged by being female. Why would I in this country? We have the same right to vote, the same access to education and healthcare, the same opportunities with regards to employment. And yes, I understand that this is not the same in all countries, and agree that it should be. But personally, I have never felt at any stage of my life that I have been at a disadvantage by being female. "

In that case you have been incredibly lucky.

When younger and blonde, I was frequently treated my men as a silly brainless girl.

Especially by places such as garages.

Being female it was assumed that I would work part time after becoming a mother. When I remarried, many assumed that I would want more children. Nobody makes these assumptions about men.

As the the #mentoo movement and feminism. I agree with swing, and she was much more eloquent than I would be.

over a year ago

Post new Message to Thread