Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is it possible not to be prejudice

Jump to newest

By *ob Carpe Diem OP   Man
over a year ago

Torquay

And I'm not talking about only race but religion, culture, nationalism, sexism you name it. Don't we all carry some even if we recognise it and fight against it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mberWoman
over a year ago

Preston

Yes. We do.

We are all a product of our experience.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"And I'm not talking about only race but religion, culture, nationalism, sexism you name it. Don't we all carry some even if we recognise it and fight against it?"

Yep. It s unrealistic to think otherwise. We all have our biases but this doesn’t mean we can’t work on them.

over a year ago

Of course we do, but the prejudices were internalise can and should be challenged and unlearned.

over a year ago

Torquay

"Yes. We do.

We are all a product of our experience."

That's my thought also, it can be hard to recognise and fight to overcome it but I'm thinking it's to some extent human nature

over a year ago

Just try to be open minded about everything sure prejudice is there lerking but knowing better makes it easier to think, do what is right.

Know I’m an ignorant fool so everyone I meet I hope improves me.

But

The world is a loaded dice so prejudice is alive and kicking and I hate it

over a year ago

I know some sound as fuck gypsys. But if a load moved in too close i probably judge them.

over a year ago

Torquay

"Just try to be open minded about everything sure prejudice is there lerking but knowing better makes it easier to think, do what is right.

Know I’m an ignorant fool so everyone I meet I hope improves me.

But

The world is a loaded dice so prejudice is alive and kicking and I hate it "

I wonder if we are to some extent hard wired, we are this tribe and you are that tribe, chimps I guess may have the same instinct.

I know I've found myself thinking prejudice thoughts and it's hard to approach the person you feel it about to try and overcome it.

over a year ago

All animals do it, a wolf from one pack can not just go and join another pack ..... We wouldn't call that discrimination, it's a natural wariness of an unknown possible danger..... Over time and after proving itself it can integrate..... Or it can attack in an attempt to conquer but it gets messy!

over a year ago

Torquay

"All animals do it, a wolf from one pack can not just go and join another pack ..... We wouldn't call that discrimination, it's a natural wariness of an unknown possible danger..... Over time and after proving itself it can integrate..... Or it can attack in an attempt to conquer but it gets messy! "

I know I've worked with people of all races and religions, often I get on with the ones furthest from my own background, Jewish, Indian, Ghanaian damn it even a few Scotts except when the football is on.

over a year ago

"I know some sound as fuck gypsys. But if a load moved in too close i probably judge them. "

Lol yes I like birds but not if they shit all over my windows lol

over a year ago

"All animals do it, a wolf from one pack can not just go and join another pack ..... We wouldn't call that discrimination, it's a natural wariness of an unknown possible danger..... Over time and after proving itself it can integrate..... Or it can attack in an attempt to conquer but it gets messy!

I know I've worked with people of all races and religions, often I get on with the ones furthest from my own background, Jewish, Indian, Ghanaian damn it even a few Scotts except when the football is on."

I've worked with lots of people and in various countries, for me it just depends on the individual, I do find certain traits, when Jeremy clarkson was in Italy and said you make such beautiful cars why can't you just make them properly lol and that the Japanese make reliable cars but they are fucking ugly..... Which would suggest traits? Conditioning?

By *orbidden eastMan
over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

Unfortunately we do OP. Whether it be through upbringing or social influences.

And it’s down to you and me as that person to figure it out and learn. I have to say it’s easier said than done. But we as humans always fear the unknown

By *dquestCouple
over a year ago

Peterborough

No. It's how we are built. We extrapolate from what we know to the wider world. Its ugly...

over a year ago

Torquay

"Unfortunately we do OP. Whether it be through upbringing or social influences.

And it’s down to you and me as that person to figure it out and learn. I have to say it’s easier said than done. But we as humans always fear the unknown "

My thoughts exactly, but is it as simple as recognising that to be able to overcome it or do some people recognise it but choose to disregard it, hard to get into the head of some people I guess.

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Some are conscious and other unconscious.... but we all have then and are a product of environment and nurture

over a year ago

I think it is possible if you're raised in a controlled state and variables.

I think it's near impossible to have no prejudice living in our current society.

over a year ago

"And I'm not talking about only race but religion, culture, nationalism, sexism you name it. Don't we all carry some even if we recognise it and fight against it?"

No we are all prejudice for one thing or another. For me it's religion. Wary of any religious person. I wouldn't leave my child with a Catholic babysitter nor would I want my daughter marrying a Muslim .

over a year ago

"Unfortunately we do OP. Whether it be through upbringing or social influences.

And it’s down to you and me as that person to figure it out and learn. I have to say it’s easier said than done. But we as humans always fear the unknown

My thoughts exactly, but is it as simple as recognising that to be able to overcome it or do some people recognise it but choose to disregard it, hard to get into the head of some people I guess."

That's a two way street, you ignore your apprehension, tell yourself I'm sure Italians can build a reliable car, that they can't all be shit.... but after an alpha Romeo, fiat and a Ferrari you realise you should have stuck to your instincts and got a merc

over a year ago

Torquay

"And I'm not talking about only race but religion, culture, nationalism, sexism you name it. Don't we all carry some even if we recognise it and fight against it?

No we are all prejudice for one thing or another. For me it's religion. Wary of any religious person. I wouldn't leave my child with a Catholic babysitter nor would I want my daughter marrying a Muslim .

"

I worked with a Jewish guy and was fascinated by his religion, we got on great and he never seemed to mind my questions, I could always think of challenging questions but didn't always ask them

over a year ago

"And I'm not talking about only race but religion, culture, nationalism, sexism you name it. Don't we all carry some even if we recognise it and fight against it?

I worked with a Jewish guy and was fascinated by his religion, we got on great and he never seemed to mind my questions, I could always think of challenging questions but didn't always ask them"

Why did you want to challenge his faith?

over a year ago

Torquay

I worked with a Jewish guy and was fascinated by his religion, we got on great and he never seemed to mind my questions, I could always think of challenging questions but didn't always ask them

Why did you want to challenge his faith? "

Oh I didn't just some aspects of kosher food mostly

over a year ago

Oh I didn't just some aspects of kosher food mostly"

Please explain

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Everyone has prejudices. It's just a question of how much we interrogate those, root them out. Complacency is almost as bad as overt discrimination.

over a year ago

I don't like any religion that treats women as second class citizens. That's a prejudice I'll never change my mind over

over a year ago

Torquay

Please explain"

No need but some of it is down to for example refrigeration didn't exist back in the day hence the reason pig is probably considered unclean in some religions, especially when they were not exported to cooler countries until much later

over a year ago

"I don't like any religion that treats women as second class citizens. That's a prejudice I'll never change my mind over"

See I wouldn't call that a prejudice I'd call it fair enough!

Not sure if any religion gives women the lead role lol and I am in favour of religion! But to be fair I'm not overly zealous

over a year ago

Please explain

No need but some of it is down to for example refrigeration didn't exist back in the day hence the reason pig is probably considered unclean in some religions, especially when they were not exported to cooler countries until much later"

Why would pig meat be any less clean than cow or goat? they salted meats, holes in ground etc.... Think Romans had first cold rooms

over a year ago

I'm comfortable with my prejudices!

over a year ago

"I don't like any religion that treats women as second class citizens. That's a prejudice I'll never change my mind over

Not sure if any religion gives women the lead role lol and I am in favour of religion! But to be fair I'm not overly zealous "

I like my religion. You don't bother about it but still get Christmas presents, chocolate eggs and a bit of guising. Job done. Nothing more nothing less.

over a year ago

Torquay

Please explain

No need but some of it is down to for example refrigeration didn't exist back in the day hence the reason pig is probably considered unclean in some religions, especially when they were not exported to cooler countries until much later

Why would pig meat be any less clean than cow or goat? they salted meats, holes in ground etc.... Think Romans had first cold rooms"

I suspect it was harder to keep pork safe in the near East back in the BC era, Judaism is much older than the Roman empire after all, not sure about Islam maybe salt was a much more precious commodity or maybe it wasn't possible to keep it cool enough, these are questions that interest me but I never felt the need to ask my Jewish friend

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

"I don't like any religion that treats women as second class citizens. That's a prejudice I'll never change my mind over"

over a year ago

"I don't like any religion that treats women as second class citizens. That's a prejudice I'll never change my mind over

Not sure if any religion gives women the lead role lol and I am in favour of religion! But to be fair I'm not overly zealous

I like my religion. You don't bother about it but still get Christmas presents, chocolate eggs and a bit of guising. Job done. Nothing more nothing less. "

God knows your bad lol trouble is region gets hijacked by horrible people as an excuse to do shit, if they spent more time making Easter eggs the world would be a bit nicer!

over a year ago

I like my religion. You don't bother about it but still get Christmas presents, chocolate eggs and a bit of guising. Job done. Nothing more nothing less.

God knows your bad lol trouble is region gets hijacked by horrible people as an excuse to do shit, if they spent more time making Easter eggs the world would be a bit nicer!"

I think it's alot of rubbish but I can't deny my children the good bits.

over a year ago

God knows your bad lol trouble is region gets hijacked by horrible people as an excuse to do shit, if they spent more time making Easter eggs the world would be a bit nicer!

I think it's alot of rubbish but I can't deny my children the good bits. "

Interesting that you are willing to trash millions, billions of people's beliefs so easily lol but I bet you would lie and tell your friend her arse doesn't look big in that dress or other white lies...... Does that make you straight talking or .....?

Personally I think most of the sins, the basics, thou shall not kill, shall not steal, envy gluttony etc are hard to argue against.... Unless people want to think being a fat jealous thieving murderer is ok lol I can't see how believing in a greater good is a bad thing

over a year ago

"Everyone has prejudices. It's just a question of how much we interrogate those, root them out. Complacency is almost as bad as overt discrimination."

over a year ago

Please explain

Why would pig meat be any less clean than cow or goat? they salted meats, holes in ground etc.... Think Romans had first cold rooms

I suspect it was harder to keep pork safe in the near East back in the BC era, Judaism is much older than the Roman empire after all, not sure about Islam maybe salt was a much more precious commodity or maybe it wasn't possible to keep it cool enough, these are questions that interest me but I never felt the need to ask my Jewish friend"

Apparently it's because they have a cloven hoof, fully split and don't regurgitate food ! Not sure how that makes sense but guess it's not suppose to be logical

over a year ago

"Yes. We do.

We are all a product of our experience."

Definitely reap what you sow

over a year ago

Yep. It s unrealistic to think otherwise. We all have our biases but this doesn’t mean we can’t work on them."

It's a our educating them rather than cursing them.

over a year ago

It's a war that started with the slavery of people and the western world mentality

over a year ago

Being wary of those who are different or outside of our group is nature.

Even though we like to think of ourselves as enlightened we are nothing more than animals.

In nature the unknown often means danger, prejudice has its roots in this innate sense that strangers mean us harm.

over a year ago

It's a war that started with the slavery of people and the western world mentality "

Haven't you seen game of thrones lol slavery, killing, bullying and taking is as old as time!

over a year ago

"Everyone has prejudices. It's just a question of how much we interrogate those, root them out. Complacency is almost as bad as overt discrimination.

"

The sentiment is right, trouble is with this statement, all statements lol is who is drawing the line? Should women be vicars, should we teach gay sex in schools, should the drinking age be lower? Higher? Who decides? What was prejudice or shocking in one decade isn't in the next...... Older people find certain things totally acceptable that young ones don't, always have, so who's right? Is there a right?

over a year ago

Prejudice cannot see the things that are, because it is always looking for things that aren't. Reason is weak were prejudice is strong!

over a year ago

"Everyone has prejudices. It's just a question of how much we interrogate those, root them out. Complacency is almost as bad as overt discrimination.

The sentiment is right, trouble is with this statement, all statements lol is who is drawing the line? Should women be vicars, should we teach gay sex in schools, should the drinking age be lower? Higher? Who decides? What was prejudice or shocking in one decade isn't in the next...... Older people find certain things totally acceptable that young ones don't, always have, so who's right? Is there a right?"

over a year ago

Interesting that you are willing to trash millions, billions of people's beliefs so easily lol but I bet you would lie and tell your friend her arse doesn't look big in that dress or other white lies...... Does that make you straight talking or .....?

Personally I think most of the sins, the basics, thou shall not kill, shall not steal, envy gluttony etc are hard to argue against.... Unless people want to think being a fat jealous thieving murderer is ok lol I can't see how believing in a greater good is a bad thing "

Actually I would tell my friend if her arse looked fat in a dress and have done. A true friend would want you to look your best. My niece wanted to go on Britain s got talent, phoned up, got an interview! And you're dam right I told her her talent was shit. Rather than watch her do it. Yes she was hurt but not half as bad as she could of been. You don't need religion to know right from wrong. A greater good? What's so great about disrespecting women, female genital mutilation, circumcising babies, forced marriages , Paedophilia, Wars over religion? Brainwashing people from birth. I bet if nobody was taught religion as gospel but as history, spirituality or when you're dead you're dead. Would be the only beliefs.

over a year ago

Personally I think most of the sins, the basics, thou shall not kill, shall not steal, envy gluttony etc are hard to argue against.... Unless people want to think being a fat jealous thieving murderer is ok lol I can't see how believing in a greater good is a bad thing

Actually I would tell my friend if her arse looked fat in a dress and have done. A true friend would want you to look your best. My niece wanted to go on Britain s got talent, phoned up, got an interview! And you're dam right I told her her talent was shit. Rather than watch her do it. Yes she was hurt but not half as bad as she could of been. You don't need religion to know right from wrong. A greater good? What's so great about disrespecting women, female genital mutilation, circumcising babies, forced marriages , Paedophilia, Wars over religion? Brainwashing people from birth. I bet if nobody was taught religion as gospel but as history, spirituality or when you're dead you're dead. Would be the only beliefs. "

Most of that is the horrible people lol I'm not banging the drum here.... But the bible doesn't say go to war shag kids and cut people up, some crank group of holy men start their own version, rem_mber the ira, kill em all and let God sort it out... Don't think that's from any holy book either... And I'm glad you told them not to go on Britains got talent

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The sentiment is right, trouble is with this statement, all statements lol is who is drawing the line? Should women be vicars, should we teach gay sex in schools, should the drinking age be lower? Higher? Who decides? What was prejudice or shocking in one decade isn't in the next...... Older people find certain things totally acceptable that young ones don't, always have, so who's right? Is there a right?"

I think questioning and examining is a lot better than just accepting what we're given. Unfortunately there may be no "right", just the best we can do.

over a year ago

The sentiment is right, trouble is with this statement, all statements lol is who is drawing the line? Should women be vicars, should we teach gay sex in schools, should the drinking age be lower? Higher? Who decides? What was prejudice or shocking in one decade isn't in the next...... Older people find certain things totally acceptable that young ones don't, always have, so who's right? Is there a right?

I think questioning and examining is a lot better than just accepting what we're given. Unfortunately there may be no "right", just the best we can do."

Agree. But also we should stop seeing morality as a fixed binary thing and see it on a spectrum. Morality is guided by our knowledge of the world and the social world and as we develop that, so too should our morals change. I think the trouble is lot’s of people, often older but not only, don’t see things as subject to change as we learn new things about identities and experiences. They see it as fixed. And that’s why they dont ‘interrogate’, to use swing’s word, their prejudices. They think they’re fixed and never subject to change.

The key is to be open minded and to be willing to unlearn things we may have internalised.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think questioning and examining is a lot better than just accepting what we're given. Unfortunately there may be no "right", just the best we can do.

Agree. But also we should stop seeing morality as a fixed binary thing and see it on a spectrum. Morality is guided by our knowledge of the world and the social world and as we develop that, so too should our morals change. I think the trouble is lot’s of people, often older but not only, don’t see things as subject to change as we learn new things about identities and experiences. They see it as fixed. And that’s why they dont ‘interrogate’, to use swing’s word, their prejudices. They think they’re fixed and never subject to change.

The key is to be open minded and to be willing to unlearn things we may have internalised. "

over a year ago

The key is to be open minded and to be willing to unlearn things we may have internalised. "

The subject is a nightmare lol most of the time nothing has changed just our view of it!

Woman have always had legs and a pussy, we were quite happy to run round in the forest half naked lol but somewhere along the line, we got clothes shame and decency, showing an ankle was a bit slutty in Victorian times but by the 60s mini skirts were showing panties lol

So what changed? In real terms nothing?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I think you'll find that's called ageism. Which is a prejudice which means holding unsubstantiated opinion.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The key is to be open minded and to be willing to unlearn things we may have internalised.

The subject is a nightmare lol most of the time nothing has changed just our view of it!

Woman have always had legs and a pussy, we were quite happy to run round in the forest half naked lol but somewhere along the line, we got clothes shame and decency, showing an ankle was a bit slutty in Victorian times but by the 60s mini skirts were showing panties lol

So what changed? In real terms nothing? "

The view is important. We used to not think women, children, or people of other ethnicities were fully human. Fortunately we've developed as societies. We continue to develop. How we develop is not a subject of universal agreement, clearly, and it's not clear to me that we always progress rather than go backwards

over a year ago

I think you'll find that's called ageism. Which is a prejudice which means holding unsubstantiated opinion."

Well I apologise if I offended. Generally speaking, people of all ages in my opinion need to be more open minded.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Open minded - amusing.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I think you'll find that's called ageism. Which is a prejudice which means holding unsubstantiated opinion.

Well I apologise if I offended. Generally speaking, people of all ages in my opinion need to be more open minded. "

I'm not offended. You can assume if you wish but it's not very open minded

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think Steve neatly illustrated in his slip that we all still have work to do.

over a year ago

So what changed? In real terms nothing?

The view is important. We used to not think women, children, or people of other ethnicities were fully human. Fortunately we've developed as societies. We continue to develop. How we develop is not a subject of universal agreement, clearly, and it's not clear to me that we always progress rather than go backwards"

Agreed. It’s our understanding of society and people’s experiences that have developed.

over a year ago

Well I apologise if I offended. Generally speaking, people of all ages in my opinion need to be more open minded.

I'm not offended. You can assume if you wish but it's not very open minded "

It’s not. But I’m open to interrogate where those views might have come from. And unlearn those.

I’ve made assumption that people are generally not willing to do that based on, perhaps wrongly, people that claim PC has gone mad.

over a year ago

"I think Steve neatly illustrated in his slip that we all still have work to do."

Unintentional but glad I could be of service

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think Steve neatly illustrated in his slip that we all still have work to do.

Unintentional but glad I could be of service "

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Well I think Steve is lovely. That's based on very little evidence, so we'll see if that changes

over a year ago

"Well I think Steve is lovely. That's based on very little evidence, so we'll see if that changes "

He’s alright but I hated him with Tracey. Eurgh.

over a year ago

"Well I think Steve is lovely. That's based on very little evidence, so we'll see if that changes "

Lol you're running rings round them lol

I Love people that tell me they are open minded kind and considerate before they eat the last biscuit, the type that decide for us what is and isn't progress, ex president Obama is doing a good job after leaving office lol

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Well I think Steve is lovely. That's based on very little evidence, so we'll see if that changes

I Love people that tell me they are open minded kind and considerate before they eat the last biscuit, the type that decide for us what is and isn't progress, ex president Obama is doing a good job after leaving office lol "

What have I said here, apart from accepting people as human, that has told anyone what to think?

I've implored people *to* think.

over a year ago

Judgement innit, and judgement = survival

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Yes, if you have properly done uncon***ous bias training and apply it you can be aware of your prejudices and proactively make unprejudiced decisions

over a year ago

"Well I think Steve is lovely. That's based on very little evidence, so we'll see if that changes

I Love people that tell me they are open minded kind and considerate before they eat the last biscuit, the type that decide for us what is and isn't progress, ex president Obama is doing a good job after leaving office lol

What have I said here, apart from accepting people as human, that has told anyone what to think?

I've implored people *to* think."

Who mentioned or quoted you? I haven't, Hair trigger there lol I implore you to think harder lol

By *arah_TGTV/TS
over a year ago

amesbury

We all have prejudices/ preferences it depends on whether you act on them or not.

over a year ago

"We all have prejudices/ preferences it depends on whether you act on them or not."

A prejudice and a preference aren't the same, I prefer cake to biscuits and I prejudice no one, I don't talk to him just because he has an ear missing I'm prejudice

Post new Message to Thread