Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Burglers

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night.

How far should you be able to go to protect your home and family.

Do you believe you should be legally allowed to use any means necessary to remove the threat? Even if it means killing the intruder?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

No. Stopping him is fine though

over a year ago

Btw this thread will get taken down for promoting/inciting violence.

over a year ago

In America if you shoot someOne in your home....

You must make sure they are dead....

If not they will sue you for damages and win.....

over a year ago

"Btw this thread will get taken down for promoting/inciting violence.

"

Ah shit.

Not trying to incite violence, just asking what peoples opinion is on the subject

over a year ago

"Someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night.

Do you believe you should be legally allowed to use any means necessary to remove the threat? Even if it means killing the intruder?"

Ultimately, yes.

over a year ago

If they are running away from you or leaving your house you can't hit them as its assault. Ìf they are in your house you can defend yourself but only as long at the threat is still there. It's a legal minefield.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"In America if you shoot someOne in your home....

If not they will sue you for damages and win....."

Would shooting American lawyers solve that?

over a year ago

Yes.

I've thought about this as my anxiety likes to PLAY GAMES WITH ME.

But I think I genuinely would kill someone to protect my family, especially my daughter.

over a year ago

Would shooting American lawyers solve that? "

Hey , I have a few lawyers in the family....

over a year ago

Minimum force to restrain!!

You prove the minimum force was to kill walk free!!

I believe you should be able to do what you want to the rats

Ken robbers dirty horrible bastards!!!!

over a year ago

I dont think I would be able to stop hitting someone if I found them in my home.

A guy I know found someone and he gave him a right kicking, bundled him into the back of his car, drove out the country and dumped him but before he left him, he slashed his Achilles heels so he couldn't run away. Done 10 years for that but I bet the burglar never robbed from anyone again

By *eeleyWoman
over a year ago

Dudley

Yep, if someone breaks into your home they aren't there with good intentions, my intentions would be to protect my daughter by any means necessary.

By *over not a fighter69Man
over a year ago

greenock

Yes, they’ll be very lucky to escape if i get a hold of them. Great believer in an eye for an eye justice.

over a year ago

"I dont think I would be able to stop hitting someone if I found them in my home.

A guy I know found someone and he gave him a right kicking, bundled him into the back of his car, drove out the country and dumped him but before he left him, he slashed his Achilles heels so he couldn't run away. Done 10 years for that but I bet the burglar never robbed from anyone again"

That’s taking it too far though, by all means if defending your home and family means beating the fuck out of an intruder then so be it. But to go medieval on someone like that is wrong and unnecessary.

over a year ago

"I dont think I would be able to stop hitting someone if I found them in my home.

A guy I know found someone and he gave him a right kicking, bundled him into the back of his car, drove out the country and dumped him but before he left him, he slashed his Achilles heels so he couldn't run away. Done 10 years for that but I bet the burglar never robbed from anyone again"

Not exactly reasonable force is it?

over a year ago

If they are there to rob you, I reckon most of them would rather get away if disturbed, so, no I don't think beating them up should be acceptable.

By *abonWoman
over a year ago

L’boro/Ashby & Cheltenham

If it’s a burglar, then no, let them take your stuff. If that person has more on their mind than stealing stuff, that’s a different matter.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Hard to know until it happens, I could talk big but who knows for sure

over a year ago

A guy I know found someone and he gave him a right kicking, bundled him into the back of his car, drove out the country and dumped him but before he left him, he slashed his Achilles heels so he couldn't run away. Done 10 years for that but I bet the burglar never robbed from anyone again

That’s taking it too far though, by all means if defending your home and family means beating the fuck out of an intruder then so be it. But to go medieval on someone like that is wrong and unnecessary. "

Really??

They have forced entry into your home what you work hard for your safe place ur palace

Id end the cunt

over a year ago

"If it’s a burglar, then no, let them take your stuff. If that person has more on their mind than stealing stuff, that’s a different matter. "

Why would I let them take my stuff? I worked hard for it, not going to give it up to some arsehole.

By *exfordMan
over a year ago

discombobulated land

Do you believe you should be legally allowed to use any means necessary to remove the threat? Even if it means killing the intruder?"

The law is quite clear on this.. You can use reasonable and justifiable force.

So if they are not threatening you you cannot merely decide to attach and kill them but if they are being very violent then yes, you may be justified in meeting that violence with a similar level. But you have to be able to prove the level of violence you portrayed was reasonable and proportionate to that particular circumstance.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

Had it and they got hurt for it, Enough for a vist to the hospital from the police cells.

I would also do it again.

After 5 attempts id had enough from this person and there friends.

Another stupid thief tried a clawhammer attack robbery after knocking on my door first and threatening me gloved and balaclava on.

He went away bloodied bruised and locked up even tried to have me charged with assault on him ( that got dropped )

over a year ago

I wouldn't like to think about what would happen because you might not be dealing with one it could be more.

My home was burgled, with me and my sons at home. It makes you feel sick to your stomach, and I am grateful we didn't hear them. My son was awake wearing headphones...I can't even think about it.

They stole a lot of stuff as well as cars.

They did get caught and served time in prison.... Panic attacks and sickness are just awful, didn't really stop until I got my German Shepherd.

So no, I honestly don't know or can't say what I would do if that happened. Until you're there you don't know.

over a year ago

That’s taking it too far though, by all means if defending your home and family means beating the fuck out of an intruder then so be it. But to go medieval on someone like that is wrong and unnecessary.

Really??

They have forced entry into your home what you work hard for your safe place ur palace

Id end the cunt

"

Yeah that’s great, that’d be the end of you for quite a while behind bars.

I’m not saying don’t respond with force but it’s got to be reasonable, if they stand and want to fight then a baseball bat isn’t unreasonable. But pulling shit like slashing tendons.......really!

If you’ve got them into a van and then slash them, It’s not even defence by that point

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Would shooting American lawyers solve that?

Hey , I have a few lawyers in the family...."

It was said in jest as I thought you were making fun of the American legal system.

I wouldn’t wish death on anyone

over a year ago

I have an alarm system and a panic button next to my bed, so I would hope they would legg it before I sprayed them with my self defence spray and point my air rifle at them. I don't think I could kill them but I would certainly maim them given the opportunity.

over a year ago

If u can prove thats what you had to do though

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

No, if I’m just protecting my home/property but there is no threat to me or another human.

And no again to a simple acceptance of “any means necessary” - I cannot predetermine the force it would require to stop a threat of violence to myself or another human and it’s only something that I can react to in the moment, and use such force as is necessary then in my reaction. Even then it’s about what I thought I was trying to achieve - stop the threat - if that tips into retribution or payback or I keep going once the threat is contained I am in the wrong.

So yes, legally it could mean causing another’s death but I worry that to pre-accept the legality of that without being in that situation starts to unconsciously imprint on my subconscious - I want to retain a clear and vivid reflex that prevents me thinking violence is justified and helps me (potentially) to be able to mentalise even when in extreme fear, or do my very best to.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

I asked the police once about having a baseball bat by my bed. Apparently I'd get done for intent to harm, even though I had been attacked in my home (he's doing 6 years).

But I now hide knives just in case.

over a year ago

Oh god this is one of my worst fears. I'm sorry to hear it has happened to a few of you.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Guy I knew did exactly the same

6 months later

After a "visit"

That guy I knew cannot move from his neck down

I would do whatever necessary to protect my life and any lives with me or close to me without any excessive vengeful torture

The very last thing I would want is to become a life target always looking over my shoulder or wondering who will maim my sister for revenge

Revenge is not sweet its bitter and un ending

If I had to kill I'm sure I would but I'd runaway with my loved ones before a fight if that was possible

Their kind always hold the upper hand I'd prefer to stay off the radar

By *abonWoman
over a year ago

L’boro/Ashby & Cheltenham

"If it’s a burglar, then no, let them take your stuff. If that person has more on their mind than stealing stuff, that’s a different matter.

Why would I let them take my stuff? I worked hard for it, not going to give it up to some arsehole."

Escalate all you want to...it won’t end well. If someone is desperate enough or broken enough to resort to a really risky crime, I sure as hell don’t want to cross them. The question was about a burglar, not a rapist or murderer.

And what ‘should’ we be allowed to do to protect our possessions? Use words.

However, if you tried to push in front of me in a queue, I’d stab you.

over a year ago

That’s taking it too far though, by all means if defending your home and family means beating the fuck out of an intruder then so be it. But to go medieval on someone like that is wrong and unnecessary. "

I never said it was necessary. Clearly he went too far and paid the price for doing so. Something I'm sure he will regret even now after his release.

I wouldn't have gone that far but I'd make sure he left my house in a far worse state than he entered.

over a year ago

I lost a close friend because 3 lads broke into his house got blood on the couch so set it on fire. He died from the smoke/fumes!

Anyone who brakes into someones house should be fuckin shot they are the lowest of the low. Rats horrible horrible bastards so yer you should hurt them kill them make them fuckin pay!!!!

By *exfordMan
over a year ago

discombobulated land

"I have an alarm system and a panic button next to my bed, so I would hope they would legg it before I sprayed them with my self defence spray and point my air rifle at them. I don't think I could kill them but I would certainly maim them given the opportunity. "

Gosh, imagine hooking up with you and then mid throws of passion asking 'have you any toys?' you'd get the shock of your life!!!!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I never said it was necessary. Clearly he went too far and paid the price for doing so. Something I'm sure he will regret even now after his release.

I wouldn't have gone that far but I'd make sure he left my house in a far worse state than he entered. "

How can you not fear the potential repercussions ???

And I dont mean the law

over a year ago

Do you believe you should be legally allowed to use any means necessary to remove the threat? Even if it means killing the intruder?

No, if I’m just protecting my home/property but there is no threat to me or another human.

And no again to a simple acceptance of “any means necessary” - I cannot predetermine the force it would require to stop a threat of violence to myself or another human and it’s only something that I can react to in the moment, and use such force as is necessary then in my reaction. Even then it’s about what I thought I was trying to achieve - stop the threat - if that tips into retribution or payback or I keep going once the threat is contained I am in the wrong.

So yes, legally it could mean causing another’s death but I worry that to pre-accept the legality of that without being in that situation starts to unconsciously imprint on my subconscious - I want to retain a clear and vivid reflex that prevents me thinking violence is justified and helps me (potentially) to be able to mentalise even when in extreme fear, or do my very best to."

If they are in your house and if you have hit them once and there is no more threat.. ie if they run away then you'll be ok..you can keep hitting them as long as the threat is still there.. ie..if you hit them once and they keep on attacking you or remain a threat.

over a year ago

With extremely prejudice definitely

over a year ago

It is not simple in law and to explain on here but...

You may use reasonable force to protect yourself. ‘Reasonable’ is based on the context of the threat that you believed you were facing, rather than were actually facing. So if the burglar who you just killed because you thought they had a gun turns out to be a toy gun, then that is still a legitimate defence as it was your genuine belief.

If however, you beat an unarmed burglar to death or stab said burglar while he is trying to get away, this is not a legitimate defence. Rightly so in my opinion.

I would do whatever it is necessary to defend my own life and that of my children, but I would not murder someone because they tried to steal my belongings.

over a year ago

I wouldn't have gone that far but I'd make sure he left my house in a far worse state than he entered.

And I dont mean the law "

He didn't fear the repercussions before he broke into my home and tried to steal my goods and scare my family.

over a year ago

Some bizarre/ridiculous things to mention.

1)must leave lights on if there's a burglary, without lights the intruder could injure themselves which could lead to an injury claim.

2) if they steal anything the police are not obliged to do anything if the value of stolen property is less than £100 anything over £100 they will.

3)you cant do anything to harm the burglar on the ground floor but if they were to go onto the stairs or second floor you have the rights to stop them any way deemed possible....

Just some random things I've heard over the years.

over a year ago

"If it’s a burglar, then no, let them take your stuff. If that person has more on their mind than stealing stuff, that’s a different matter.

Why would I let them take my stuff? I worked hard for it, not going to give it up to some arsehole.

Escalate all you want to...it won’t end well. If someone is desperate enough or broken enough to resort to a really risky crime, I sure as hell don’t want to cross them. The question was about a burglar, not a rapist or murderer.

And what ‘should’ we be allowed to do to protect our possessions? Use words.

However, if you tried to push in front of me in a queue, I’d stab you. "

Whether it ends well or not I'm not in the wrong.

If he enters my property to steal, I will try to stop him. If he assaults me, I will fight back, if he uses weapon so will I.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

So yes, legally it could mean causing another’s death but I worry that to pre-accept the legality of that without being in that situation starts to unconsciously imprint on my subconscious - I want to retain a clear and vivid reflex that prevents me thinking violence is justified and helps me (potentially) to be able to mentalise even when in extreme fear, or do my very best to.

If they are in your house and if you have hit them once and there is no more threat.. ie if they run away then you'll be ok..you can keep hitting them as long as the threat is still there.. ie..if you hit them once and they keep on attacking you or remain a threat."

I’m fully aware of the law on this and my answer is legal, I was talking more about the psychological impact of predetermining actions affecting reactions, thanks for mansplaining though

over a year ago

If not they will sue you for damages and win....."

I'm in America, and that is BS, they can try to sue, but it never turns out well, Nd when asked the simple question of "what were you doing in this person's house in the middle of the night, there is no reasonable answer. The judge finds the. Guilty and go directly to jail. (If they are a good shot , bypass all the above and go directly to the morgue)

The Sheriff here in Polk county has told the looters and all around miscreants to avoid polk county, and he advised the residents, that is a looters or bad guy comes through the front door " blow him back out the front door"

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"I lost a close friend because 3 lads broke into his house got blood on the couch so set it on fire. He died from the smoke/fumes!

Anyone who brakes into someones house should be fuckin shot they are the lowest of the low. Rats horrible horrible bastards so yer you should hurt them kill them make them fuckin pay!!!!"

How do we know they set it on fire for blood on the couch ?

The witness is sadly dead

Surely we could assume equally your close friend did harm one brutally and then was sadly killed because of the actions ???

Very sorry for the loss of a dear friend but I'm not sure how we can recall events ?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I was told many years ago. If you use force on them when they are upstairs, it is self defense. If you use force on the downstairs, it is assault.

By force I mean hammer, baseball bat, cricket bat, etc.

over a year ago

Tie them to a chair an bum the fukin life out of them!!! Get in there head make them live with sutton they will never forget

By *obdoesitMan
over a year ago

Heswall

If you have a pick axe handle i do think you will still be social distancing.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/06/20 23:16:44]

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"I was told many years ago. If you use force on them when they are upstairs, it is self defense. If you use force on the downstairs, it is assault.

By force I mean hammer, baseball bat, cricket bat, etc."

That’s not true - reasonable force can be anywhere. Although putting one foot on your driveway might be tricky to argue

over a year ago

"I lost a close friend because 3 lads broke into his house got blood on the couch so set it on fire. He died from the smoke/fumes!

Anyone who brakes into someones house should be fuckin shot they are the lowest of the low. Rats horrible horrible bastards so yer you should hurt them kill them make them fuckin pay!!!!

Surely we could assume equally your close friend did harm one brutally and then was sadly killed because of the actions ???

Very sorry for the loss of a dear friend but I'm not sure how we can recall events ?"

How they got caught and admitted what they done!!

Blood all over the french doors dna everywer thats how mate

For real like

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

And I dont mean the law

He didn't fear the repercussions before he broke into my home and tried to steal my goods and scare my family."

That I'm sorry makes no sense ???

How can you not fear for the life of a loved one if you are brutal towards a completely un known ?

Their clan unknown to you will wantonly to slaughter a loved one you cant prevent that other than move and hide

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

"Tie them to a chair an bum the fukin life out of them!!! Get in there head make them live with sutton they will never forget "

That’s a lot of anger

over a year ago

On this one, I think the farmer Tony Martin handled it the best. Shot the burglars with a shotgun, killing one of them.

A mate has a paintball gun. It uses .68 solid balls and is well over the limit. He has used it a few times, when people have been in his garden.

over a year ago

"Tie them to a chair an bum the fukin life out of them!!! Get in there head make them live with sutton they will never forget

That’s a lot of anger "

Hate ken robbers hate!!!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Very sorry for the loss of a dear friend but I'm not sure how we can recall events ?

For real like

"

So we have the story of murderers

Ok

over a year ago

For real like

So we have the story of murderers

Ok

"

We ll leave it there yer mate

over a year ago

And I dont mean the law

He didn't fear the repercussions before he broke into my home and tried to steal my goods and scare my family.

How can you not fear for the life of a loved one if you are brutal towards a completely un known ?

Their clan unknown to you will wantonly to slaughter a loved one you cant prevent that other than move and hide

"

He didnt fear me before he broke into my home, why should I fear him after I've knocked him out? If he is stupid enough to come back for more, he will receive more of the same. What's not to understand?!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

And I dont mean the law

He didnt fear me before he broke into my home, why should I fear him after I've knocked him out? If he is stupid enough to come back for more, he will receive more of the same. What's not to understand?! "

Ok

Still makes no sense but ok

over a year ago

"I have an alarm system and a panic button next to my bed, so I would hope they would legg it before I sprayed them with my self defence spray and point my air rifle at them. I don't think I could kill them but I would certainly maim them given the opportunity. "

Would be straight to prison for you then. Pepper spray/CS gas carries the same sentence as possession of a firearm.

I’m issued with CS gas in work but even I would be in the shit if I used it away from my works premises.

You might be licensed to own the air rifle but even then you’d be up against it.

Any kind of weapon that you take to bed, knife, hammer, baseball bat, you use that on an intruder and you’re fucked, you’ve premeditated the use of a weapon by taking it to your room with you.

Better off getting some heavy ass bedroom ornaments or objects that can injure that could commonly be found in your bedroom.

I personally have hairspray/deodorant and a lighter for my candles. Anybody coming in my home uninvited will get a homemade flame thrower to the face and I would break one knee cap with one kick and call the police.

I wouldn’t be able to take someone’s life, but I would make them temporarily handicapped. No way would I mess up my own life for a scummy burglar.

over a year ago

I'm in America, and that is BS, they can try to sue, but it never turns out well, Nd when asked the simple question of "what were you doing in this person's house in the middle of the night, there is no reasonable answer. The judge finds the. Guilty and go directly to jail. (If they are a good shot , bypass all the above and go directly to the morgue)

The Sheriff here in Polk county has told the looters and all around miscreants to avoid polk county, and he advised the residents, that is a looters or bad guy comes through the front door " blow him back out the front door""

You forgot one thing.... you’re in Florida a stand your ground state... in NYC it’s much different...

My tenant at one of my properties beats someone up for trying to steal a bike out of the backyard.... Cops called , guy is arrested.... One year later I’m sued for damages and settle for 8k... well my home owners insurance settled....

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Not ashamed to admit I have recurring nightmares about this and they end up killing me everytime.

If we had US laws and I could be armed and shoot intruders, I would take that option.

By *quaman87Man
over a year ago

ramsey

No question! If someone came into my home, to me that's my family in danger I would 100% not think twice about killing the person if it came down to it! I'd happily go to prison knowing I protected my family!

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"If they are running away from you or leaving your house you can't hit them as its assault. Ìf they are in your house you can defend yourself but only as long at the threat is still there. It's a legal minefield."

Only if they find the body...

over a year ago

"If they are running away from you or leaving your house you can't hit them as its assault. Ìf they are in your house you can defend yourself but only as long at the threat is still there. It's a legal minefield.

Only if they find the body... "

Exactly! Some scruffy lil crack head shuffles his way in to my house at night god love the poor bastard I’d have no issue in keeping him there ! Enough said ! Wouldn’t be calling no police

By *otwife and the HubbyCouple
over a year ago

sheffield

"I have an alarm system and a panic button next to my bed, so I would hope they would legg it before I sprayed them with my self defence spray and point my air rifle at them. I don't think I could kill them but I would certainly maim them given the opportunity.

Would be straight to prison for you then. Pepper spray/CS gas carries the same sentence as possession of a firearm.

I’m issued with CS gas in work but even I would be in the shit if I used it away from my works premises.

You might be licensed to own the air rifle but even then you’d be up against it.

Any kind of weapon that you take to bed, knife, hammer, baseball bat, you use that on an intruder and you’re fucked, you’ve premeditated the use of a weapon by taking it to your room with you.

Better off getting some heavy ass bedroom ornaments or objects that can injure that could commonly be found in your bedroom.

I personally have hairspray/deodorant and a lighter for my candles. Anybody coming in my home uninvited will get a homemade flame thrower to the face and I would break one knee cap with one kick and call the police.

I wouldn’t be able to take someone’s life, but I would make them temporarily handicapped. No way would I mess up my own life for a scummy burglar. "

over a year ago

"I have an alarm system and a panic button next to my bed, so I would hope they would legg it before I sprayed them with my self defence spray and point my air rifle at them. I don't think I could kill them but I would certainly maim them given the opportunity.

I wouldn’t be able to take someone’s life, but I would make them temporarily handicapped. No way would I mess up my own life for a scummy burglar. "

I’ll settle for handicapped mate !

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

The dog goes ballistic if anyone touches the door when we are home, so I wouldn't have to do anything to dissuade them from coming in

By *nothercoupleCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

What burglar? There was no burglar..... Oh and the patio was new Last week.

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I think if they touch the bottom step of my stairs then my children are at risk, it’s no longer about possessions then and that’s how I would treat it. So yes! You should be able to in my opinion

D.

over a year ago

Decent question OP.......

Its not what we should be allowed to do to defend ourselves but what the law states will happen to a burgler if they break into someones home. Its the laws responsibility..

Alway remember a burgler intention maybe to steal & theres a great chance they will be armed. They get disturbed & an innocent person may get injured, ki*led, rap*d (i wont put actual spelling) etc... the deterent for anyone wishing to break into someones house & your found guily in a court of law is they loose both hands. The burgler made a concious decision to break in & they know the penalty. The result is they wont do it again. Ill take it one step forward. Because of that they will not be entitled to any benifits. Its all about decision making...

over a year ago

The terms used in law are so vague and open to interpretation that all cases are really viewed on precedent ie previous cases and the ruling made by the judge. Unfortunately for householders the defence often has better barristers and solicitors than the CPS (crown prosecution service) so the majority of the time it can look like criminals in the UK get better treatment than victim's. As many of said if the criminal is above the ground floor (assuming its a house) then by their actions in entering an occupied house they have proved possible intent (ie by entering part of a residence that is occupied) other than burglary so more force can be used to prevent them. Whilst a few posters of spoken of what would automatically be classed as weapons (making any incident pre meditated and them guilty) in the form of air rifles, knives and bats etc one of the best deterrents is almost any full can of hair spray, its almost as good as CS or pepper spray..a face full will give you one or two seconds advantage in order to subdue the intruder..without using lethal force....ideally a hard stamp (as hard as you can) to the intruders foot (the top upper part lots of small delicate bones and nerves) with your heel and a push on the shoulder nearly always results in the person falling over...then stamp on the solar plex again using the heel of your foot...min 30 seconds gained to get the upper hand..all none lethal but highly effective force.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

If they managed to get past my three very big dogs then I would use what’s force as necessary for the circumstances.

I’m not saying I would go out and take a life but would defend myself as to the level necessary.

Best plan for people is to adapt a room where you can move something heavy across the door to buy you some time to call the Police. If they attempt to come through that then you know it’s you they want so get medieval.

over a year ago

If someone broke into my house then id use absolutely any force necessary. My children are in danger. If I felt threatened in my own home and he had a weapon then Id make sure he never hurt anyone again no matter of the consequences. Id end up in jail but my kids be alive x

over a year ago

"If someone broke into my house then id use absolutely any force necessary. My children are in danger. If I felt threatened in my own home and he had a weapon then Id make sure he never hurt anyone again no matter of the consequences. Id end up in jail but my kids be alive x"

A burgler is both male & female

over a year ago

"If someone broke into my house then id use absolutely any force necessary. My children are in danger. If I felt threatened in my own home and he had a weapon then Id make sure he never hurt anyone again no matter of the consequences. Id end up in jail but my kids be alive x

A burgler is both male & female"

"THEY"

By *ecky and justCouple
over a year ago

Godalming

My house was burgled couple of years ago.

The police feel it was targeted as he spent some time trying to get into my firearms cabinet.

He’d had to cross several back gardens to break in through a glass back door.

By the freshness of the footprints, it was thought that I’d disturbed him and he had run off, taking some considerably valuable items.

Had I actually confronted him, I’d have done everything in my power to detain him, if that had meant hurting him, I would’ve.

He was known to the police and had a track record of aggravated burglary. Even with DNA evidence from broken glass and prints everywhere, he got off.

You can understand people’s anger at burglars.

J

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS
over a year ago

Huddersfield

So if they are not threatening you you cannot merely decide to attach and kill them but if they are being very violent then yes, you may be justified in meeting that violence with a similar level. But you have to be able to prove the level of violence you portrayed was reasonable and proportionate to that particular circumstance."

And how are you supposed to make all thoes judgments in the middle of the night after somebody has forced their way into your house and you have kids upstairs?

In a split second you have to what, ask them if they have any violent actions in mind, see if they are willing just to get out? You think people who do this are reasonable to a grown up discussion?

I hit them as hard and as often as I could until I felt safe and ask them later!!!

over a year ago

Personally, I put burglars up there with murderers. Stooping to take someone’s hard earned possessions.

Where I’m from if you do someone’s house, you get taken to a field & done in the knee cap. Especially towards elderly.

‘Man’s home is his castle’ essentially the rule - defending your land. I’ve spent many years training Mixed Martial Arts & I pray the day the burglar picks my house instead of an elderly persons

By *969BewitchedWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Criminal Law Act 1967 section 3

'A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of a crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or persons unlawfully at large'

Circumstances would be different in each case but must be deemed to be necessary with only reasonable force.

For example if someone breaks in and you chase them out the house but then persue them to attack them that puts you as the aggressor.

If they attack or are perceived to possibly attack you inside the home, you may do what you deem to be necessary and reasonable to stop the attack!

Lots of grey areas in this subject !

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"Criminal Law Act 1967 section 3

'A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of a crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or persons unlawfully at large'

Circumstances would be different in each case but must be deemed to be necessary with only reasonable force.

For example if someone breaks in and you chase them out the house but then persue them to attack them that puts you as the aggressor.

If they attack or are perceived to possibly attack you inside the home, you may do what you deem to be necessary and reasonable to stop the attack!

Lots of grey areas in this subject !"

Lots of grey areas indeed. And how do we shed light into the grey areas as something like defending your family in your own home would happen in the blink of an eye, not pre planned or premeditated just the actions of a parent?

How do you define 'reasonable' at what point would you be expected to calm down during an intrusion?

When do you the 'home owner' become the asailent?

over a year ago

"If someone broke into my house then id use absolutely any force necessary. My children are in danger. If I felt threatened in my own home and he had a weapon then Id make sure he never hurt anyone again no matter of the consequences. Id end up in jail but my kids be alive x

A burgler is both male & female

"THEY""

Hi pink. sorry if that seemed arsy. Not my intention x

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Most people don’t know how they would react until it happens, many years ago I was woken in the night by someone trying to break in, I (AJ) jumped out of bed naked ran to the kitchen got a knife and opened the door, not ideal when you think about it but it just happened, would I have used the knife if someone attacked me who knows? and if you asked me before it happened that what would I do, I would have answered I’d call the police.

I’m not sure if the person was in hiding and saw me standing there naked with a weapon lol but they didn’t come back.

over a year ago

Reasonable force. 6 years ago hubby woke to find someone in our home.. His training kicked in and the guy never knew what hit him. He was restrained on the kitchen floor till he pulled out a Stanley knife and stabbed hubby in the leg. At that point he was let go. Caught by the police through dna, he went away for a couple of years.

By *969BewitchedWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Lots of grey areas indeed. And how do we shed light into the grey areas as something like defending your family in your own home would happen in the blink of an eye, not pre planned or premeditated just the actions of a parent?

How do you define 'reasonable' at what point would you be expected to calm down during an intrusion?

When do you the 'home owner' become the asailent? "

Defending yourself, your family, your property or even a stranger is permitted by law. You don't have to wait to be attacked first. If someone is telling me they are going to kill me and I truly believe my life to be in danger then I am not going to wait to find out, I can strike first. The level of physical violence has to match the threat to diffuse it or to be able to escape.

Every situation would be very different so there is no way of saying what is acceptable unless you are experiencing it at that moment and instincts take over.

Sadly so many criminals get away with things because of loop holes in the law

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What if it’s earlier evening and they they wanted to borrow a cup of sugar ? Can I decapitate them still ? Or is that OTT

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Defending yourself, your family, your property or even a stranger is permitted by law. You don't have to wait to be attacked first. If someone is telling me they are going to kill me and I truly believe my life to be in danger then I am not going to wait to find out, I can strike first. The level of physical violence has to match the threat to diffuse it or to be able to escape.

Every situation would be very different so there is no way of saying what is acceptable unless you are experiencing it at that moment and instincts take over.

Sadly so many criminals get away with things because of loop holes in the law "

Sometimes it appears that the law is set up in the favour of the criminals, loopholes are exploited all too often. Sentencing is a joke no real deterrent at all.

As often it appears that the criminal gets off lightly and the victim has no defence and always vulnerable.

By *969BewitchedWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Sometimes it appears that the law is set up in the favour of the criminals, loopholes are exploited all too often. Sentencing is a joke no real deterrent at all.

As often it appears that the criminal gets off lightly and the victim has no defence and always vulnerable.

"

Yes sadly so. A bit off topic but I read an article yesterday about a young lad who was speeding and driving without insurance who knocked down an elderly couple. The man was killed outright and the lady was seriously injured. He was let off with a small fine and banned from driving for a year with a 6 month suspended sentence. One dead person and one with life changing injuries and a family shattered but the culprit got a smacked wrist. Hardly a deterrent is it

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/06/20 09:08:09]

over a year ago

I realise there is a lot of dick waving going on, but I find some of the posts on here so completely over the top with the talk of sadistic gratuitous violence that I wonder who you are trying to impress and why. I think every last one of us would defend our lives ones but some of the responses on here are sick

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Yes sadly so. A bit off topic but I read an article yesterday about a young lad who was speeding and driving without insurance who knocked down an elderly couple. The man was killed outright and the lady was seriously injured. He was let off with a small fine and banned from driving for a year with a 6 month suspended sentence. One dead person and one with life changing injuries and a family shattered but the culprit got a smacked wrist. Hardly a deterrent is it "

Why is the law so soft?

Is this Purley about money and not having tha facility to hold prisoners or is it about playing with numbers on a spread sheet showing so called 'statistics'?

Its pathetic and no way to run a country's criminal system, no wonder kids today go around with this 'can't touch me' attitude.

By *anshee99Woman
over a year ago

all over

So here a story.

I once lived on a horrible street filled with drug dealers.

The police came to put a camera in our bedroom window the film across the street.

He saw my baseball bat and disapproved. But suggested I swapped it for an empty wine bottle. He said I'd get a better swing in a small hallway and it looks less 'planned'

If someone came into my home were my children sleep, I wouldnt stop til someone stopped me.

over a year ago

"So here a story.

The police came to put a camera in our bedroom window the film across the street.

He saw my baseball bat and disapproved. But suggested I swapped it for an empty wine bottle. He said I'd get a better swing in a small hallway and it looks less 'planned'

If someone came into my home were my children sleep, I wouldnt stop til someone stopped me. "

Even if they just wanted your telly?

over a year ago

"So here a story.

If someone came into my home were my children sleep, I wouldnt stop til someone stopped me.

Even if they just wanted your telly?"

How do you know they just want your telly? Are you stopping to ask them first?

By *ictoriaathomeTV/TS
over a year ago

Huddersfield

"So here a story.

If someone came into my home were my children sleep, I wouldnt stop til someone stopped me. "

Sound advice. It's sickening to live in a society that needs to protect its self with empty wine bottles! Is that the best protection we have?? Thought the law was our protector!!!

By *anshee99Woman
over a year ago

all over

"So here a story.

Even if they just wanted your telly?"

Ok I'll elaborate, if they come up the stairs, they want more than the telly or my car keys...

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

My vicious pooch will tear a burglar to shreds , or lick them to death

By *orenzoVonMatterhornMan
over a year ago

Lincoln

This is covered by your right to self-defence if I remember right. You can go as far as you honestly feel you have to to protect yourself or others. I'm sure a burglar was stabbed to death by an elderly man a few years ago and was cleared based on self-defence.

over a year ago

"So here a story.

How do you know they just want your telly? Are you stopping to ask them first?"

I guess I don't

Nor do I know for sure how I'd react

But to attack first seems an idea that goes against my instincts

By *969BewitchedWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

"So here a story.

Yep, a baseball bat by your bed is a 'planned weapon' a wine bottle is a weapon of opportunity which is different. I would think that pretty much all mums would fight to the death to protect their children, bet you are glad you don't live there anymore

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

So if they are not threatening you you cannot merely decide to attach and kill them but if they are being very violent then yes, you may be justified in meeting that violence with a similar level. But you have to be able to prove the level of violence you portrayed was reasonable and proportionate to that particular circumstance."

and your weapon used (if not fists) was readily available in that room, ie it’s natural home. For example, you stab someone in the bedroom / bathroom you’ve got a lot of questions to answer and could go against you

By *ev_1Couple
over a year ago

Bickliegh

The burglar has more rights than the victim in this country inocent peeps always got to fight to get justice that's our justice for you

over a year ago

Yes, trouble is when you are a woman and don't have the strength to just stop someone by holding them down you need to use another method and when you feel threatened you wouldn't stop till either you were knocked out, had no physical energy left in your body, someone intervened and took control of the situation or you had them in such a state you were sure they would not get back up and hurt you.

over a year ago

Did the burglar become an axe murderer halfway through the thread?

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I asked the police once about having a baseball bat by my bed. Apparently I'd get done for intent to harm, even though I had been attacked in my home (he's doing 6 years).

But I now hide knives just in case."

I’ve had the same talk. Knives would have the same outcome. I was advised to get those really heavy torches, which you can have anywhere in the house

over a year ago

"Did the burglar become an axe murderer halfway through the thread?"

If you think about it, anyone can become an axe murderer at any point

over a year ago

Lincoln

If somebody breaks in to your house, regardless of their initial intent, would you or would you not have some concern for your well being?

over a year ago

Lincoln

"Did the burglar become an axe murderer halfway through the thread?

If you think about it, anyone can become an axe murderer at any point"

Not if they don't have an axe

By *969BewitchedWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

"So here a story.

Ok I'll elaborate, if they come up the stairs, they want more than the telly or my car keys... "

If they just want the telly they probably won't risk going upstairs to wake someone. If a woman wakes up and there is a man in the bedroom then you would have to be thinking they have much more on their mind than nicking the telly. That's a whole big step up to defending yourself

over a year ago

"Did the burglar become an axe murderer halfway through the thread?

If you think about it, anyone can become an axe murderer at any point

Not if they don't have an axe "

Touche

over a year ago

"This is covered by your right to self-defence if I remember right. You can go as far as you honestly feel you have to to protect yourself or others. I'm sure a burglar was stabbed to death by an elderly man a few years ago and was cleared based on self-defence."

Yes the have been several cases where people have been acquited. In simple terms a single stab wound would be considered self-defense, 20 stab wounds in the back and no sign of a struggle wouldn't.

over a year ago

No, but fear changes the way you normally behave.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Going back to the original OP, my intent would be to get out of the house if I could, nothing material is worth your life or taking a life for

over a year ago

All this burglar talk and even me commenting in the thread didn’t deter stupidity. Came downstairs this morning and I’d left my living room window (front room in the house) wide open!

Also with regards to the law favouring the criminals, I only see the criminals so I know they get punished but CPS do a shit job usually, especially if the defence have their own private representation.

I don’t like the way cases are presented, the defence sees all the evidence that the prosecution have so they’re able to go over and prepare themselves for their response.

I feel like we should be like the US on that front where you can just spring evidence up throughout the case and put the defence on the spot.

over a year ago

What you think you would do as a rational human being, with no immediate threat to your safety can be very different to how your mind changes under threat. Life changes when your mind changes and can alter the person you are.

over a year ago

I think you should be able to defend yourself and your family if you feel any of you are in danger from an intruder in your own home by any means possible.

Fear is a strange thing and nobody knows what they’re capable of until you actually find yourself in a situation like that.

I’d like to think that these days I’d just call the police, monitor the situation and hope that the intruder is just after car keys or valuables from downstairs so I can let him get on with it and fuck off with minimal fuss.

If the intruder starts up the stairs then I think the reality would be all out rage from me and a severely damaged intruder.

By *ewrocksWoman
over a year ago

button moon

If someone is in my home uninvited, then I will do whatever needed to protect my family.

over a year ago

I've faced this scenario myself once so I can accurately say I'd deal with the issue by any means necessary first then think of the legal connotations later, I'm fight not flight.

You are allowed to defend yourself but not with pre determined weapons because that shows intent.

Use a baseball bat that's kept for protection under your bed and legally your in trouble, a hammer that you used that day to knock a picture nail in however is a totally different story.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

over a year ago

Existing law is perfectly fine. It is based on reasonable force. This allows whatever it takes but no more, and also allows pre emptive strikes by the occupant. A lot of it depends on the level of threat as perceived by the victim.

over a year ago

They always carry axes lol or maybe ive watched too much American TV lol

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

If I caught the poor unfortunate souls in the act of burgling me they would have a nasty accident and fall down the stairs. 7 times !

over a year ago

I've faced this scenario myself once so I can accurately say I'd deal with the issue by any means necessary first then think of the legal connotations later, I'm fight not flight.

You are allowed to defend yourself but not with pre determined weapons because that shows intent.

Use a baseball bat that's kept for protection under your bed and legally your in trouble, a hammer that you used that day to knock a picture nail in however is a totally different story.

"

I think you're slightly misguided. Have a look at common law and sec 3 criminal law act for some clarity!!

over a year ago

I think you're slightly misguided. Have a look at common law and sec 3 criminal law act for some clarity!!"

I don't think I am...

You wake in the night to an intruder in your bedroom and you believe at that moment your in potential grave danger you are allowed to use reasonable force in defence.

Should that reasonable force include the use of a weapon that could arguably have been put at hand for just that kind of scenario then your showing intent or pre-meditation.

On the other hand if you used an object that was close at hand and had every right to be there (bed side lamp etc) then your acting in self defence and reflex.

over a year ago

A burgler doesnt care about you or i. They will do what it takes to take whatever & at any cost. They know right from wrong. Mr & mrs innocent shouldnt have to defend themselves as the law should do it for us all. Steal & you loose your hands as i said earlier. They wont do it again.

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

We have specific items in our bedroom that, if need be Dave will - rightly or wrongly - use to kill an intruder.

over a year ago

Well they wouldn’t be getting back out in a hurry

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I'm really weak and rubbish at fighting

If I were to engage with an experienced bad person the statistics mean I would suffer greatly if not mortally

Big hard tough words sound impressive but I'm for life and health preservation

I'd run and run fast

If I had to protect another I'd tell them to run , stall and run

I have experience

They tried to steal my van

After preventing the theft I ran

Good job as there were two if I'd have been all bravado I would be dead

I'm not

Its utterly amazing why everyone thinks they would win a fight

No 50 percent or more of you would not

And their friends always know where you live

Fighting unless absolutely zero chance of avoiding is utterly futile foolish and asking for your life to be impaired

Run run run and run

It's almost certain they have no interest in harming your wife or child

Local farmer shot a person who's family traveled

His farm burns about 3 times a year and his son can no longer walk

But fuck yeah the farmer showed him

As said above my live is vastly more precious than that of a petty thief

I dont need revenge I need peace of mind

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

In reality, I have no idea what I would do.

When I became a single parent in my 20s, I used to sleep with an ice axe by my bed. I had a small child and I felt vulnerable.

I figured that the sight of me naked, wielding that should be enough to make them want to get out sharpish.

over a year ago

"Hard to know until it happens, I could talk big but who knows for sure"

right anyone can talk big but it's how you react in that situation and people who haven't been in that type of situation have no idea what they would do if it happend to them.

Two men broke into my home once and I just froze my mind went blank and I couldn't think what to do. It's been playing on my mind everyday ever since that night. I keep thinking to myself what I could of done and should of done.. But it's to late now.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Hard to know until it happens, I could talk big but who knows for sure

right anyone can talk big but it's how you react in that situation and people who haven't been in that type of situation have no idea what they would do if it happend to them.

Two men broke into my home once and I just froze my mind went blank and I couldn't think what to do. It's been playing on my mind everyday ever since that night. I keep thinking to myself what I could of done and should of done.. But it's to late now. "

You're alive and can walk you did right

Your other thoughts are the dark side of revenge they only ever contort the humanity in you

Well done sir xx

By *ovegames42Man
over a year ago

london

Reasonable force to defend yourself and your property.

over a year ago

"Hard to know until it happens, I could talk big but who knows for sure

Two men broke into my home once and I just froze my mind went blank and I couldn't think what to do. It's been playing on my mind everyday ever since that night. I keep thinking to myself what I could of done and should of done.. But it's to late now.

You're alive and can walk you did right

Your other thoughts are the dark side of revenge they only ever contort the humanity in you

Well done sir xx"

That happened to me once, fear paralyzed me. Like cramp running from the back of my neck to the bottom of my spine. I wasn't being burgled or anything it was a fear for my son, a panic that came over me. I needed to help him and couldn't move for pain. I was also heavily pregnant at the time, luckily there was other people there that could help. So yes, you just don't know till something happens how you'll react. My reaction worried me. My son needed medical help and I couldn't help him. It's a terrible feeling. I live alone with my three children and just hope that doesn't happen again if they need me.

over a year ago

"I'm really weak and rubbish at fighting

If I were to engage with an experienced bad person the statistics mean I would suffer greatly if not mortally

Big hard tough words sound impressive but I'm for life and health preservation

I'd run and run fast

If I had to protect another I'd tell them to run , stall and run

I have experience

They tried to steal my van

After preventing the theft I ran

Good job as there were two if I'd have been all bravado I would be dead

I'm not

Its utterly amazing why everyone thinks they would win a fight

No 50 percent or more of you would not

And their friends always know where you live

Fighting unless absolutely zero chance of avoiding is utterly futile foolish and asking for your life to be impaired

Run run run and run

It's almost certain they have no interest in harming your wife or child

Local farmer shot a person who's family traveled

His farm burns about 3 times a year and his son can no longer walk

But fuck yeah the farmer showed him

As said above my live is vastly more precious than that of a petty thief

I dont need revenge I need peace of mind "

I have so much love for this post

over a year ago

My granny's house was broken into. She wasn't physically hurt but suffered a stroke as a result of it. If she had died there and then it would of been kinder but she lived another five years not knowing where she was or the people round about her.

Post new Message to Thread