Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental health thread

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Please be kind as someone who suffers with depression and is currently struggling, my usual coping mechanism is to exercise however due to COVID and idiots ignoring I don’t feel safe to exercise, what I’m asking is for advice? Please be kind

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *assy211279Woman
over a year ago

middle of nowhere Cornwall

Wish I could offer you some I am only coping because I live in the middle of nowhere and have taken on all the animal's and the care of my parents. So I am really busy.

What you into other than exercise

By *hezuMan
over a year ago

London

Try cooking

over a year ago

I do find it I’m busier and in a routine I’m more able to cope just right now I live with a shielded parent so anything I do could be risky, I don’t often post on here but I know I’m struggling

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

If you have a car OP, could you drive to somewhere quieter to do your exercise ?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Can you exercise at home? Bodyweight work? It's better than nothing.

By *egalBeetleWoman
over a year ago

London

Can you exercise at home?

Do you know the least busiest times out? Would 5am be insane?

Are there alternative areas you can exercise in?

Is there an active hobby you can try at home?

A project you can focus on? (Build a bird house? Try gardening or a small herb garden if you dont have space).

Theres some online projects about- music practice/ trivia games

Some social organisations are doing phone support

Would you want to/ could you volunteer with local charities?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Stay strong tried emailing you you have blocked TVs ts

By *anshee99Woman
over a year ago

all over

Alot of gyms are doing online bootcamps.

over a year ago

I don’t drive and I am trying to do some weight work at home and keep busy, just when I’m overwhelmed I haven’t been able to switch off, I sought help today and I’m already on medication

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

Hi OP. I know of many people suffering. One of the greatest helps is being able to engage with other humans. The forum here is a useful avenue. It isn't the same but can be the next best thing depending on your own situation.

Finding motivation to exercise can be tricky but I have made it a habit to go on a walk or run every single day since lock down. Maybe go in the evening if you are concerned about there being any potential contact with anyone. I listen to a podcast as I walk/run and find it is a good escape. Other than that, try to take some small positives. I am able to cook which I never had time for previously. I can go on leisurely walks and can enjoy the peace. Even being able to binge on a boxset can be a blessing. All about perspective OP.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hey wishing you well bud. Stay busy, as said above. Try and have background music..stuff thats bouncy and rings bells with you..its all about not granting the mind the silence to wander and drift. So its a case of distracting the focus, so songs you know the words to willhelp as the mind will act on that recognition. Happy music that gives happy memories will also distract the focus. Feel free to pm...

By *assy211279Woman
over a year ago

Rather than offering advice, you should close your eyes and think what you wish you had succeeded to do before. Learning a language building a wooden boat. Unless someone knows what you really want deep inside it is beyond their capabilities to advise you.

over a year ago

I’ve opened my message filters as I’m aware of how talking can help and I do want to feel better, music has always cheered me up from a wide variety so I might have to make sure I listen to more daily, normally it’s on my travels for work but I’m a non essential worker, I do honestly appreciate all this advice

By *assy211279Woman
over a year ago

To help ease your mind let me know if you find the answer. I don't even succeed at that cuddling my pets.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Mindfulness meditation helps me with feelings of overwhelm. Lots of free guided meditations online. It doesn't work for everyone but it's worth a try.

over a year ago

"I’ve opened my message filters as I’m aware of how talking can help and I do want to feel better, music has always cheered me up from a wide variety so I might have to make sure I listen to more daily, normally it’s on my travels for work but I’m a non essential worker, I do honestly appreciate all this advice"

If you love music then listen..and listen and listen. Silence can be a cancer...try to find ways around having silence. Cooking is good, beware jobs that may require fiddling with frustration..such as tiny fiddly jobs as that can create aggravation.

By *adame 2SwordsWoman
over a year ago

Victoria, London

Have you thought about volunteering for a charity? Thinking of others distracts the brain, will give you interaction and hopefully tire the brain to sleep better.

Too much navel gazing is not good. Others would really appreciate help, might gain a more varied friendships and ultimately support network

over a year ago

Reading is a great relaxation.....

Also try listening to the Archers on Radio 4 it is a great escape, Radio is much better than TV...

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I’ve opened my message filters as I’m aware of how talking can help and I do want to feel better, music has always cheered me up from a wide variety so I might have to make sure I listen to more daily, normally it’s on my travels for work but I’m a non essential worker, I do honestly appreciate all this advice"

If you like music, we have a lot of fun with virtual piano on the laptop, from tinkering away to a song or making your own up

over a year ago

"I’ve opened my message filters as I’m aware of how talking can help and I do want to feel better, music has always cheered me up from a wide variety so I might have to make sure I listen to more daily, normally it’s on my travels for work but I’m a non essential worker, I do honestly appreciate all this advice

If you like music, we have a lot of fun with virtual piano on the laptop, from tinkering away to a song or making your own up"

Great idea

over a year ago

"Please be kind as someone who suffers with depression and is currently struggling, my usual coping mechanism is to exercise however due to COVID and idiots ignoring I don’t feel safe to exercise, what I’m asking is for advice? Please be kind"

Maybe exercise indoors (I use YouTube workouts) or exercise outdoors at quieter times (late at night or early morning).

over a year ago

Thank you guys I’m trying my best to keep my head above water, I don’t find it easy to open up about this and this post alone might be the most I’ve ever posted in the forums

By *herryblossom_BJWoman
over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

"I don’t drive and I am trying to do some weight work at home and keep busy, just when I’m overwhelmed I haven’t been able to switch off, I sought help today and I’m already on medication"

I love tai chi, yoga, meditation. Do it when everyone else gone to sleep if you can't find quiet time during the day. Try to do something creative. I started to draw again and write

By *herryblossom_BJWoman
over a year ago

Oxfordshire/Hampshire

Cbt techniques and general talking to strangers who should non bias opinions can help with depression. Writing everything down and doing daily cbt exercises worked well for me

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I don’t drive and I am trying to do some weight work at home and keep busy, just when I’m overwhelmed I haven’t been able to switch off, I sought help today and I’m already on medication

I love tai chi, yoga, meditation. Do it when everyone else gone to sleep if you can't find quiet time during the day. Try to do something creative. I started to draw again and write"

Agree with the drawing, I can zone out for hours forget the world whilst I do that and a sense of achievement when you finish one

By *assy211279Woman
over a year ago

"Thank you guys I’m trying my best to keep my head above water, I don’t find it easy to open up about this and this post alone might be the most I’ve ever posted in the forums"

Well done. I find short messages on here help me

over a year ago

"Cbt techniques and general talking to strangers who should non bias opinions can help with depression. Writing everything down and doing daily cbt exercises worked well for me"

This is exactly how I was thinking just to talk to people not worrying about repercussions, I will have to pick up drawing again, I’ve now been referred for CBT the last time due to my work schedule I was unable to get through to book a follow up

over a year ago

If you like your music I often turn to YouTube, search for a favourite song and then pick something from the next batch of recommended videos. You come across all sorts of artists and long forgotten songs that way.

With regard exercise, if I'm feeling particularly low and struggling to motivate myself I set a timer on repeat throughout the day. For me it just acts as the nudge I need to do lots of little sets of exercise at home and stops the likelihood of just surfing the sofa all day.

Take care bud

over a year ago

"Please be kind as someone who suffers with depression and is currently struggling, my usual coping mechanism is to exercise however due to COVID and idiots ignoring I don’t feel safe to exercise, what I’m asking is for advice? Please be kind"

Why dont you feel safe to exercise?..

over a year ago

"Please be kind as someone who suffers with depression and is currently struggling, my usual coping mechanism is to exercise however due to COVID and idiots ignoring I don’t feel safe to exercise, what I’m asking is for advice? Please be kind...

"

There are a lot of people around whom ignored all social distancing, not everyone ofcourse and as I live with a vulnerable family member who classes as shielded, I panicked as I weren’t just gambling with myself catching this but others, as the exercise I was talking about was mainly running/jogging

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan
over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

If you have space on garden, get a skipping rope. It is actually extremely good cardio. Also it makes you concentrate/zone out if you get what I mean. You fall into a natural rhythm leaving you focused on your task. Maybe try to keep count so that you try and break your own record. In fact, I think I will buy a skipping rope myself.

over a year ago

"Please be kind as someone who suffers with depression and is currently struggling, my usual coping mechanism is to exercise however due to COVID and idiots ignoring I don’t feel safe to exercise, what I’m asking is for advice? Please be kind...

There are a lot of people around whom ignored all social distancing, not everyone ofcourse and as I live with a vulnerable family member who classes as shielded, I panicked as I weren’t just gambling with myself catching this but others, as the exercise I was talking about was mainly running/jogging"

. How will you catch anything while out running?

over a year ago

There are a lot of people around whom ignored all social distancing, not everyone ofcourse and as I live with a vulnerable family member who classes as shielded, I panicked as I weren’t just gambling with myself catching this but others, as the exercise I was talking about was mainly running/jogging. How will you catch anything while out running?"

I live in a built up area where everyone knows each other so it’s likely I’ll bump into someone I know and suffering with asthma I am actually vulnerable myself, maybe it’s just me being over cautious and just too scared with my family being shielded

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Thank you guys I’m trying my best to keep my head above water, I don’t find it easy to open up about this and this post alone might be the most I’ve ever posted in the forums"

Opening up can be hard OP, but it does help.

The MIND website is great as a starting point for all things to do with mental health. It's really straightforward to negotiate and has lots of helpful info and support. Maybe have a look there.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

My advice go to the York moors avoid all people and walk

over a year ago

There are a lot of people around whom ignored all social distancing, not everyone ofcourse and as I live with a vulnerable family member who classes as shielded, I panicked as I weren’t just gambling with myself catching this but others, as the exercise I was talking about was mainly running/jogging. How will you catch anything while out running?

I live in a built up area where everyone knows each other so it’s likely I’ll bump into someone I know and suffering with asthma I am actually vulnerable myself, maybe it’s just me being over cautious and just too scared with my family being shielded"

Your making yourself sick with worry.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There are a lot of people around whom ignored all social distancing, not everyone ofcourse and as I live with a vulnerable family member who classes as shielded, I panicked as I weren’t just gambling with myself catching this but others, as the exercise I was talking about was mainly running/jogging. How will you catch anything while out running?

I live in a built up area where everyone knows each other so it’s likely I’ll bump into someone I know and suffering with asthma I am actually vulnerable myself, maybe it’s just me being over cautious and just too scared with my family being shielded"

I think you're being prudent x

over a year ago

"I do find it I’m busier and in a routine I’m more able to cope just right now I live with a shielded parent so anything I do could be risky, I don’t often post on here but I know I’m struggling"

I'm with you there, keeping busy is often the best thing. What do you have available to you at home to keep busy? Could you exercise at home?

over a year ago

"I do find it I’m busier and in a routine I’m more able to cope just right now I live with a shielded parent so anything I do could be risky, I don’t often post on here but I know I’m struggling

I'm with you there, keeping busy is often the best thing. What do you have available to you at home to keep busy? Could you exercise at home?"

I’m trying to spend as much time as I can with my dog and I’m also going to try drawing again, just trying to bring a routine back to my life

over a year ago

"Mindfulness meditation helps me with feelings of overwhelm. Lots of free guided meditations online. It doesn't work for everyone but it's worth a try. "

This here is my bread & butter. It really does help soften the harsh negitive emotions with time, patience and self love.

I hope you find something that works for you though

over a year ago

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone yesterday especially was very difficult and just talking it through has helped get some perspective

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"I just wanted to say thank you to everyone yesterday especially was very difficult and just talking it through has helped get some perspective"

over a year ago

I hope everyone is ok. It’s hard to talk but sometimes talking to a stranger is easy , non judgmental. I’m always an ear to listen and talk with you. X

over a year ago

"I just wanted to say thank you to everyone yesterday especially was very difficult and just talking it through has helped get some perspective"

Hope your ok, don’t ever look at tomorrow look at now and here, you will be ok. If you want to talk I’m here. I’m trained In suicide prevention and many other things I won’t bore you with. But the main thing is IVE actually been there. I’ve self harmed , I’ve tried to take my life. And I’m here now. So no pressure. But there’s light. X

By *olf BlassMan
over a year ago

blackpool

If anyone needs an outlet. Just someone to chat with. I'm experienced and understanding of any issues people have. Please feel free to message me. We will survive and we will get through.

over a year ago

"I just wanted to say thank you to everyone yesterday especially was very difficult and just talking it through has helped get some perspective

Hope your ok, don’t ever look at tomorrow look at now and here, you will be ok. If you want to talk I’m here. I’m trained In suicide prevention and many other things I won’t bore you with. But the main thing is IVE actually been there. I’ve self harmed , I’ve tried to take my life. And I’m here now. So no pressure. But there’s light. X"

I can’t message you it comes up, profile unavailable, I’ve opened my message filters

over a year ago

"If anyone needs an outlet. Just someone to chat with. I'm experienced and understanding of any issues people have. Please feel free to message me. We will survive and we will get through. "

We will, let’s rid the stigma of mental health. Especially with men.

over a year ago

"I just wanted to say thank you to everyone yesterday especially was very difficult and just talking it through has helped get some perspective

Hope your ok, don’t ever look at tomorrow look at now and here, you will be ok. If you want to talk I’m here. I’m trained In suicide prevention and many other things I won’t bore you with. But the main thing is IVE actually been there. I’ve self harmed , I’ve tried to take my life. And I’m here now. So no pressure. But there’s light. X

I can’t message you it comes up, profile unavailable, I’ve opened my message filters"

I’ll open them. Sorry x

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/06/20 02:23:52]

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"If anyone needs an outlet. Just someone to chat with. I'm experienced and understanding of any issues people have. Please feel free to message me. We will survive and we will get through. "

Yes

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

No stigma its part of life and everyone is feeling it now lets help eachother

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"[Removed by poster at 03/06/20 02:23:52]"