Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The written word

Jump to newest

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I've just sat writing a letter to my little sister who for various reasons doesn't have a phone i can often get hold of her on. ( she wont get a new mobile due to fears of being tracked and traced)

Anyway I love writing. I've got several pen pals..and while we often email .. sometimes it's just nice to sit down and write an actual Letter.

My kids think it's a sign of my old age.. maybe they have a point but I think it's a lovely thing to get a nice hand written letter..

Anyone else still write x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

My youngest shops for her aunties during lockdown and asked me recently what is letter writing paper ,do they just want an A4 pad!

I still write letters , but I do it in Facebook messenger , compose them offline in Apple Notes then paste them in, did a load yesterday actually. We also write to kids in Africa and Asia but even that’s done online now. My handwritings rubbish so it’s a good thing !!

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Not letters, but recently I have sent a few cards with notes in them - just pretty cards with a handwritten note to send a personal message to people I care about (sometimes with a small gift of their favourite sweets or something). Texts and emails are fine, not to mention convenient, but I can hear the smiles in people's voices when they ring to thank me - purpose achieved if I've made someone smile, even if only briefly

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Writing is the perfect way to get words across, meaningfully! So so many people these days cannot do it- it’s quite annoying! What is this “text speak” stuff about? It’s just laziness for our language. I love a letter, love a proper hand written card- means so much more than a quick text! x

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Writing is the perfect way to get words across, meaningfully! So so many people these days cannot do it- it’s quite annoying! What is this “text speak” stuff about? It’s just laziness for our language. I love a letter, love a proper hand written card- means so much more than a quick text! x"

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

I still hand-write letters to a few people, it's a tradition of ours.

over a year ago

How about writing a thank you letter after each meet? Lovely middle class thing to do.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Writing is the perfect way to get words across, meaningfully! So so many people these days cannot do it- it’s quite annoying! What is this “text speak” stuff about? It’s just laziness for our language. I love a letter, love a proper hand written card- means so much more than a quick text! x"

Wtf u mn?

Writing is a skill as is articulate use of language - im not sure its valued as much today as it should be- i know when I exchange messages here Or other media platforms- it is something you notice - rightly or wrongly you can draw conclusions from the way a person writes. It’s really nice to get a letter but I don’t think i can remember the last time i got a handwritten letter... that’s pretty sad isn’t it?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I have gripping issues and am verbose, so rarely write anything meaningful by hand. Occasionally I do type, print, and sign. It's the best I can do.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"How about writing a thank you letter after each meet? Lovely middle class thing to do. "

...I am so doing this when appropriate, man.

over a year ago

Very much so...love words on paper..its so personal..nothing to do with age..uts beautiful communication. Love writing my nature based poetry and stories

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

My best friend died at aged 33 and i keep in touch with her mum by letters. I love it when i get one back.x

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Writing is the perfect way to get words across, meaningfully! So so many people these days cannot do it- it’s quite annoying! What is this “text speak” stuff about? It’s just laziness for our language. I love a letter, love a proper hand written card- means so much more than a quick text! x

Wtf u mn?

Writing is a skill as is articulate use of language - im not sure its valued as much today as it should be- i know when I exchange messages here Or other media platforms- it is something you notice - rightly or wrongly you can draw conclusions from the way a person writes. It’s really nice to get a letter but I don’t think i can remember the last time i got a handwritten letter... that’s pretty sad isn’t it? "

Language and comms always evolves, it’s very normal to get stuck in a way of thinking that the tools of one generation ago was far superior, but you wouldn’t send a note to a friend on the foot of a pidgeon would you - or those who hate on gps and swear by maps / compass wouldn’t navigate using stars.

Younger people just think there’s no point for hand written letters and stamps when you can communicate more frequently and easily with videos, calls and texts. And I think they are probably right.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I used to write to my aunts and my mum. Theyve a passed away in recent years so apart from the odd card I dont really get to hand write letters or receive them anymore and I miss that.

I've been getting the child to write to a couple of her friends over lock down, she did have a pen friend but that fizzled out eventually..

It would be sad if letter writing died a death.

Electronic communication is all well and good but looking back we won't have the archive of everyday communication that like have now.

over a year ago

I love to see handwriting, its not very often I get to read anything that is handwritten but I do miss it. Its shows a persons individuality in a world or times new roman text. Id actually love a proper paper and pen penpal

over a year ago

"I love to see handwriting, its not very often I get to read anything that is handwritten but I do miss it. Its shows a persons individuality in a world or times new roman text. Id actually love a proper paper and pen penpal "

Not so easy to correct mistakes though, tippex looks crap so you get through a fair bit of paper.

*of

over a year ago

I owe a letter to someone.. a gratitude kind.. thanks for reminder Cali.. might get round to it this week.

Might be a sign of an age but I think it will be one of these form of arts which people will miss and might revive in the future to come.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Long ago in copper plate with a quill pen and real ink...

Then I discovered the post office kept losing them...

over a year ago

I used to have a pen pal at school. Writing letters is a lost art.

Its nice getting letters and cards through the post.

over a year ago

"I still hand-write letters to a few people, it's a tradition of ours. "

Write on.

over a year ago

I write lots.

There's nothing nicer than receiving proper post, especially during lockdown.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I send lengthy, rambling emails to distant friends. Sadly my handwriting is hideous so I confine pen-and-paper to brief cards and little notes enclosed with gifts.

over a year ago

"I send lengthy, rambling emails to distant friends. Sadly my handwriting is hideous so I confine pen-and-paper to brief cards and little notes enclosed with gifts."

I find that most people who say their handwriting is bad arent really that awful at it. Just harsh with themselves. Dont think anyone expects calligraphy style these days.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"I send lengthy, rambling emails to distant friends. Sadly my handwriting is hideous so I confine pen-and-paper to brief cards and little notes enclosed with gifts.

I find that most people who say their handwriting is bad arent really that awful at it. Just harsh with themselves. Dont think anyone expects calligraphy style these days. "

When I worked for the NHS I wrote a note on a post-it and a pharmacist phoned me because he couldn't read it.

Spends all day reading GPs' illegible scrawls but couldn't read my note.

over a year ago

"I send lengthy, rambling emails to distant friends. Sadly my handwriting is hideous so I confine pen-and-paper to brief cards and little notes enclosed with gifts.

I find that most people who say their handwriting is bad arent really that awful at it. Just harsh with themselves. Dont think anyone expects calligraphy style these days.

When I worked for the NHS I wrote a note on a post-it and a pharmacist phoned me because he couldn't read it.

Spends all day reading GPs' illegible scrawls but couldn't read my note. "

That will teach me to take your word for it.

Post new Message to Thread