Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Alternate day fasting

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have cut back all refined carbs (still having fruit and starchy vegetables, beans, a very small amount of whole grains and the OCCASIONAL treat) with the goal of eventually moving towards a fully ketogenic diet once I get used to not having any sugar. It's too early for results yet but I have heard that alternate day fasting is really good for those wanting to lose weight with wayyy less of the dreaded loose skin or stretch marks because it makes your body rejuvenate dead cells etc etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience combining ADF with something low carb like keto or paleo? If so, what would you say are the best timings for a beginner to stick to? E.g 12/12, 16/8 etc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

I’m not sure if I can share the link here

https://youtu.be/mjNChGkQLRo

Dr.Mindy Pelz on youtube x I would recommend you watching the one hour by hour breakdown. She explains the science behind fasting. I find her other videos very useful as well. Good luck x

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

should be min 14hrs for body to go keto but they say start with 10- 12 and 14 on following week x

over a year ago

"I’m not sure if I can share the link here

Dr.Mindy Pelz on youtube x I would recommend you watching the one hour by hour breakdown. She explains the science behind fasting. I find her other videos very useful as well. Good luck x "

Thank you!!! I have been watching Thomas Delauer videos and he explains the science really well but I'm still as confused as when I started as to which timings to actually follow

By *ecks74Woman
over a year ago

wrexham

"I have cut back all refined carbs (still having fruit and starchy vegetables, beans, a very small amount of whole grains and the OCCASIONAL treat) with the goal of eventually moving towards a fully ketogenic diet once I get used to not having any sugar. It's too early for results yet but I have heard that alternate day fasting is really good for those wanting to lose weight with wayyy less of the dreaded loose skin or stretch marks because it makes your body rejuvenate dead cells etc etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience combining ADF with something low carb like keto or paleo? If so, what would you say are the best timings for a beginner to stick to? E.g 12/12, 16/8 etc"

I’ve been fasting for about 3 months, doing 7pm to 11.00am. I’ve found this has definitely aided my weight loss - 2 and a half stone since Xmas. Still have some sagging skin though

over a year ago

"should be min 14hrs for body to go keto but they say start with 10- 12 and 14 on following week x"

The thing is I naturally do intermittent fasting every day as I stop eating around midnight, go to sleep about 3am and wake up around 11/12 (don't judge me lol my sleep pattern has gone to shit) and then am not hungry until about 4pm. So actually I do 16/8 most days. Would you recommend ramping it up to about 20?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not done this but I wish you luck. I did intermittent fasting for lent, so 40 days, 19 hours and I am currently trying to stick to 3 days a week of it. I was recommended some great stuff on it by Dr Fang.

Sorry I can’t offer anything else but all the best, OP

over a year ago

"I have cut back all refined carbs (still having fruit and starchy vegetables, beans, a very small amount of whole grains and the OCCASIONAL treat) with the goal of eventually moving towards a fully ketogenic diet once I get used to not having any sugar. It's too early for results yet but I have heard that alternate day fasting is really good for those wanting to lose weight with wayyy less of the dreaded loose skin or stretch marks because it makes your body rejuvenate dead cells etc etc.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience combining ADF with something low carb like keto or paleo? If so, what would you say are the best timings for a beginner to stick to? E.g 12/12, 16/8 etc

I’ve been fasting for about 3 months, doing 7pm to 11.00am. I’ve found this has definitely aided my weight loss - 2 and a half stone since Xmas. Still have some sagging skin though "

That's amazing, well done! I don't think it stops loose skin altogether but it's meant to be a lot less than if you didn't fast

over a year ago

"Not done this but I wish you luck. I did intermittent fasting for lent, so 40 days, 19 hours and I am currently trying to stick to 3 days a week of it. I was recommended some great stuff on it by Dr Fang.

Sorry I can’t offer anything else but all the best, OP "

I also lost a lot of weight doing this. Put it back on when I stopped so like with anything, a worry may be that fasting might not be good for maintenance although it certainly will get weight down.

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

"I’m not sure if I can share the link here

Dr.Mindy Pelz on youtube x I would recommend you watching the one hour by hour breakdown. She explains the science behind fasting. I find her other videos very useful as well. Good luck x

Thank you!!! I have been watching Thomas Delauer videos and he explains the science really well but I'm still as confused as when I started as to which timings to actually follow "

That explains what happens to the body hour by hour and her faq sessions have more info on defails. Give it a try

By *lossyLegsGlassesCouple
over a year ago

stafford

Hii I do keto super low carb eating generally, that's less than 25g carbs daily and omad (one meal a day) xx and I have done so for several years xx I can tell you it works amazingly xx

over a year ago

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Use this, work out your BMR, then work out your calorie needs to maintain, then reduce from there.

Consistency is key. Fasting and keto may give edges to performing athletes, but to every day people who want to shift a few pounds and keep it off, calories in vs calories out as it will teach you how to eat what you want within limits and have a good relationship with food. No one really likes carbless diets, and somedays you may fancy some food early,

Dont deny yourself. Just my own views of course x

over a year ago

"Not done this but I wish you luck. I did intermittent fasting for lent, so 40 days, 19 hours and I am currently trying to stick to 3 days a week of it. I was recommended some great stuff on it by Dr Fang.

Sorry I can’t offer anything else but all the best, OP

I also lost a lot of weight doing this. Put it back on when I stopped so like with anything, a worry may be that fasting might not be good for maintenance although it certainly will get weight down. "

Thank you!

Ahh I find that happens with any diet though. That's why this time it's a "lifestyle change" haha

over a year ago

I do alternate day fasting. But I don't restrict carbs. Just have 500 calories in my fast days (typically a veg stir fry or omelette) and then eat what I want on my food days. It works for me x

over a year ago

stafford

Oh and I would recommend you watch Dr Eric berg on YouTube xx

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

I do 16/8 that’s every day ... this the third week of doing it ... going ok ... eating clean most of the time and sticking to 1500 calories a day

By *elshsunsWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Trying to really increase the protein but find that quite hard .... trying to eat more than 46g a day

over a year ago

"http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Use this, work out your BMR, then work out your calorie needs to maintain, then reduce from there.

Consistency is key. Fasting and keto may give edges to performing athletes, but to every day people who want to shift a few pounds and keep it off, calories in vs calories out as it will teach you how to eat what you want within limits and have a good relationship with food. No one really likes carbless diets, and somedays you may fancy some food early,

Dont deny yourself. Just my own views of course x"

That's fair enough but I've found that eating low carb, high fat over the past week or so has naturally resulted in eating on average 400 cals less daily than even my BMR minus 20%.

This is why I'm not doing full keto, so I can still have the occasional treat and not feel like I'm denying myself. Also I don't eat meat so still need some carbs in the way of fruit, veg and whole grains in order to feel full.

over a year ago

"Hii I do keto super low carb eating generally, that's less than 25g carbs daily and omad (one meal a day) xx and I have done so for several years xx I can tell you it works amazingly xx "

Is that net carbs? If so that's really low, you must have some amazing willpower!

over a year ago

"I do alternate day fasting. But I don't restrict carbs. Just have 500 calories in my fast days (typically a veg stir fry or omelette) and then eat what I want on my food days. It works for me x"

When you say you eat what you want do you mean you go hell for leather? Or are you still sensible?

over a year ago

"Trying to really increase the protein but find that quite hard .... trying to eat more than 46g a day "

Have you tried protein shakes or adding pea protein to meals and drinks?

over a year ago

stafford

"Hii I do keto super low carb eating generally, that's less than 25g carbs daily and omad (one meal a day) xx and I have done so for several years xx I can tell you it works amazingly xx

Is that net carbs? If so that's really low, you must have some amazing willpower! "

Yes net carbs I only eat green veggies for my carbs xx i also eat high protein and of course high fibre xx

over a year ago

That's fair enough but I've found that eating low carb, high fat over the past week or so has naturally resulted in eating on average 400 cals less daily than even my BMR minus 20%.

This is why I'm not doing full keto, so I can still have the occasional treat and not feel like I'm denying myself. Also I don't eat meat so still need some carbs in the way of fruit, veg and whole grains in order to feel full. "

Think of your BMR as your fuel tank, if you dont put the right amount in, your not going to get where you want to go.

So many people fail with weightloss due to trying to do too much but i guess if its working for you then keep firing away. Everyone has their style.

Anyway, i just wanna find someone to eat pizza in bed with naked. Average slice about 350cals girls from dominos. Any takers?

over a year ago

"Hii I do keto super low carb eating generally, that's less than 25g carbs daily and omad (one meal a day) xx and I have done so for several years xx I can tell you it works amazingly xx

Is that net carbs? If so that's really low, you must have some amazing willpower!

Yes net carbs I only eat green veggies for my carbs xx i also eat high protein and of course high fibre xx"

Well you've definitely got the figure to prove it. Hopefully one day I'll get somewhere close...

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai

I’ve been fasting for about 3 months, doing 7pm to 11.00am. I’ve found this has definitely aided my weight loss - 2 and a half stone since Xmas. Still have some sagging skin though "

The body enters fasting state after approx 12 hours so by the time you break-fast you’re just starting. This is why skipping breakfast is the best way, go to lunch and you’ve fasted 6-7!hours.

over a year ago

This is why I'm not doing full keto, so I can still have the occasional treat and not feel like I'm denying myself. Also I don't eat meat so still need some carbs in the way of fruit, veg and whole grains in order to feel full.

Think of your BMR as your fuel tank, if you dont put the right amount in, your not going to get where you want to go.

So many people fail with weightloss due to trying to do too much but i guess if its working for you then keep firing away. Everyone has their style.

Anyway, i just wanna find someone to eat pizza in bed with naked. Average slice about 350cals girls from dominos. Any takers?"

Yeah for sure but I just meant it was naturally happening without me even paying attention to calories, only macros. I've actually felt way more hungry and deprived doing calorie counting in the past. So from that point of view it's just a lot easier in my mind. It makes sense to me anyway haha.

Unfortunately it's things like pizza in bed that got me to the stage where I'm having to do this but obviously judging from your pics you can afford to have a slice or two!!

over a year ago

stafford

Yes net carbs I only eat green veggies for my carbs xx i also eat high protein and of course high fibre xx

Well you've definitely got the figure to prove it. Hopefully one day I'll get somewhere close... "

If you need any help at all with meal plans, activities etc please msg us we are both PTs and nutritional advisors xx

over a year ago

Anyway, i just wanna find someone to eat pizza in bed with naked. Average slice about 350cals girls from dominos. Any takers?

Yeah for sure but I just meant it was naturally happening without me even paying attention to calories, only macros. I've actually felt way more hungry and deprived doing calorie counting in the past. So from that point of view it's just a lot easier in my mind. It makes sense to me anyway haha.

Unfortunately it's things like pizza in bed that got me to the stage where I'm having to do this but obviously judging from your pics you can afford to have a slice or two!! "

Would you believe i just use my body like a bank, i monitor what goes in and out, and make sure the balance is in my favour more often than not. I do believe whatever way you look at it, consistency is key and there is a mental struggle to it

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Please bear in mind that just because someone is slim doesn't make them healthy.

For bmi, you have to take in to account of height, age, muscle/fat ratio. You can't use an app to calculate it accurately.

Diets are not good, many of the so called "healthy" prepacked meals are low in one thing like fat & very high in salt. Many diets also starving the body of the nutrients you need I.e. no carb diets or no fat diets.

this is why folk fail so often.

It has to be a lifestyle change & not just in food habits.

Carbs you need - these are long strained & break down into sugars = long release energy.

Fats - amounts are needed for the brain to function and help absorb vit a, k & d.

Proteins - need these for muscle repair & cell growth.

Sugars - Fruits are naturally t high in sugar, however it's not the same as its not naturally occurring. most things we buy in a contain refined sugar, as added to make it taste good, which drives endorphins/dopamine receivers to wanting more.

Calories - do not drop these too low, your body will react as if there's a famine & try to hold onto the fat, it's a survival state, hence why eating nothing/next to nothing doesn't work in long term.

Fasting daily i do normally 12am - 7pm.

unless I am being extremely psychically active then I'll eat something that's gonna give me the carbs to keep me going, bananas, peanut butter.

Rice & breads buy brown, wholemeal/granary. They have better carb strands to white & actually make you feel full.

Peanut butter & jam sandwich is a very good 'pick me up' to last you til dinner, the peanut butter is long term & jam short boost energy

Get 2 pairs of non stretch jeans, a lower size pair for if you get too low & a bigger size that'll be your Max size pair, these help you to eat things you want without going over the bar easy, as soon as your in the big jeans, change.

Takeaways - cut them out....nothing but bad calories, I'll maybe only have 2 or 3 a year.

Don't buy junk food...if it ain't there you can't eat it, instead buy things you'll need to make like sandwiches.

Drink water - 1.5-2 Ltr per day...any thing other than straight water is no longer water, tap water is perfectly safe & is the same stuff as bottled.

Protein shakes, bars, energy etc stay away from they are no good & full of salts/sugars unless your an extreme athlete & even then it's not much...actual food is better.

Don't buy into the whole "brand" being better nutritional, they are often not, just more expensive & fancy packaging.

Sit at a table for meals, brain recognizes it as meal time better than on a couch in front of a TV. Have your treat as dessert.

Find out why your snacking so often, mostly I find boredom does it...see the kids doing this too, it's a time filler.

I don't have scales, because fat weighs less than muscles..so I'll weigh less in winter but be a bigger size, in summer I'm slimmer size & weigh more.

Get smaller plates, makes you think your eating more when your not, most plates are oversized.

I eat cakes, chocolate & sweets just not on a regular basis.

Takes 20mins for stomach to say it's full to your brain, eat slowly

Ingredients are put on the packet in order of highest concentration first.

Exercise is easy....just ditch the mac_ines:

Hoover = brush & dustpan

Dishwasher = you

Pre made meals = cook from scratch

Drive to local shop = walk

Do yourself a wee diary & truthful write in what your eating & what activities your doing...when you read back you'll be able to see silly things like the 2 biscuits you thought you had was actually 2 biscuits with each cup of tea 4x.

Simple things but they all burn calories and moderation is key.

This is my way, however I hope some of these help

over a year ago

"Please bear in mind that just because someone is slim doesn't make them healthy.

For bmi, you have to take in to account of height, age, muscle/fat ratio. You can't use an app to calculate it accurately.

Diets are not good, many of the so called "healthy" prepacked meals are low in one thing like fat & very high in salt. Many diets also starving the body of the nutrients you need I.e. no carb diets or no fat diets.

Carbs you need - these are long strained & break down into sugars = long release energy.

Fats - amounts are needed for the brain to function and help absorb vit a, k & d.

Sugars - Fruits are naturally t high in sugar, however it's not the same as its not naturally occurring. most things we buy in a contain refined sugar, as added to make it taste good, which drives endorphins/dopamine receivers to wanting more.

Calories - do not drop these too low, your body will react as if there's a famine & try to hold onto the fat, it's a survival state, hence why eating nothing/next to nothing doesn't work in long term.

unless I am being extremely psychically active then I'll eat something that's gonna give me the carbs to keep me going, bananas, peanut butter.

Rice & breads buy brown, wholemeal/granary. They have better carb strands to white & actually make you feel full.

Peanut butter & jam sandwich is a very good 'pick me up' to last you til dinner, the peanut butter is long term & jam short boost energy

Get 2 pairs of non stretch jeans, a lower size pair for if you get too low & a bigger size that'll be your Max size pair, these help you to eat things you want without going over the bar easy, as soon as your in the big jeans, change.

Takeaways - cut them out....nothing but bad calories, I'll maybe only have 2 or 3 a year.

Don't buy junk food...if it ain't there you can't eat it, instead buy things you'll need to make like sandwiches.

Drink water - 1.5-2 Ltr per day...any thing other than straight water is no longer water, tap water is perfectly safe & is the same stuff as bottled.

Protein shakes, bars, energy etc stay away from they are no good & full of salts/sugars unless your an extreme athlete & even then it's not much...actual food is better.

Don't buy into the whole "brand" being better nutritional, they are often not, just more expensive & fancy packaging.

Sit at a table for meals, brain recognizes it as meal time better than on a couch in front of a TV. Have your treat as dessert.

Find out why your snacking so often, mostly I find boredom does it...see the kids doing this too, it's a time filler.

I don't have scales, because fat weighs less than muscles..so I'll weigh less in winter but be a bigger size, in summer I'm slimmer size & weigh more.

Get smaller plates, makes you think your eating more when your not, most plates are oversized.

Hoover = brush & dustpan

Dishwasher = you

Do yourself a wee diary & truthful write in what your eating & what activities your doing...when you read back you'll be able to see silly things like the 2 biscuits you thought you had was actually 2 biscuits with each cup of tea 4x.

This is my way, however I hope some of these help "

That’s quite the comprehensive write up and good too.

There is loads of good advice on here. I’ll just add get used to that hungry feeling. I found that when I cut down the amount going in I was constantly hungry until my body realised it was the new normal.

I started at the gym halfway through my weight loss and which meant I had to change the way that I ate again to a fashion but I went from 121kg to 78kg. It takes time though and you get slimmer from what you eat. The gym or exercise only gets you fitter. Stick with it and you will see results.

over a year ago

"Please bear in mind that just because someone is slim doesn't make them healthy.

Hoover = brush & dustpan

Dishwasher = you

This is my way, however I hope some of these help "

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out! These are great tips and really helpful but I think probably more leaned towards someone only looking to lose a small amount of weight or maintain/get a bit healthier. I have a lot to lose so am needing to do everything you listed and more x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'm selling bottles of slim line air. Making a fortune.

over a year ago

Ive sucessfully done 5 : 2 diet . Fasting 2 days a week. Where fast = 600 cals per day. I must admit im struggling at moment.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

It all sounds really rather complicated

over a year ago

"I do alternate day fasting. But I don't restrict carbs. Just have 500 calories in my fast days (typically a veg stir fry or omelette) and then eat what I want on my food days. It works for me x"

it certainly does

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Hoover = brush & dustpan

Dishwasher = you

This is my way, however I hope some of these help

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out! These are great tips and really helpful but I think probably more leaned towards someone only looking to lose a small amount of weight or maintain/get a bit healthier. I have a lot to lose so am needing to do everything you listed and more x "

Not at all, your welcome.

It'll take be a gradual loss over a much longer period & it certainly does help me maintain my weight in a healthy bracket, so your dead on there.

Your right to hit the gym/exercise more to help loss the additional weight that your looking for .

I personally don't go to the gym ever! I don't like it, so my cardio is completely pants but I do work on cars mostly with manual tools (my version of weights & rowing mac_ine) and was going to a marital art class before lockdown too, basic yoga I do everyday just to stretch myself out.

I'm only 5'1" and bounce between a size 26"/6-32"/12 through most of the year. I do go to a 4 sometime...but then I'll eat like feck to get it back on, that's too slim.

I know you see the dress sizes and auto think "oh well your slim"....I'm also tiny in height so it takes less for me to be classed as obese (9.5St.. I.e size 12 & above or 9mths pregnant), so what is healthy for me is between size 8-10 (7.5-8.5St).

Actually I'm typically in between dress sizes at my waist but my thighs & calves are bigger so I can either cut off the circulation in my legs or have the bum & waist loose

Tk maxx is good because they do inbetween sizes, it's just a gamble if they have something you like or not.

Post new Message to Thread