Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Uh oh toothache

Jump to newest

By *ob Carpe Diem OP   Man
over a year ago

Torquay

I've had it in the same tooth before, no swelling so maybe not an abscess. I've been told before it needs a root canal, hoping it will pass because a root canal isn't an option right now I guess.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Grandma's remedy to relieve toothache: put a few cloves in a shot of vodka. Soak them for as long as you can wait (I keep a small bottle of vodka with cloves in in my medicine cabinet), then dip a small folded piece of bandage in it and place it against the tooth that hurts.

Can you book in with the dentist?

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Ouch .. feel your pain . you need to keep it really clean and it might pass.,the cloves as suggested is good, add painkillers, alcohol ... but the best you can do is rinse your mouth after every single meal, drink etc so nothing goes in there, there is a small crack.

I’ve had one for 5 years , I don’t want another root canal or implant so I manage it , keep it clean and when you get an abses , short sharp dose of ABIs.

Good luck

over a year ago

Torquay

Thanks both, if it's an abscess I guess I can get anti biotics via an online consultation, might pass if I clean it well. Got the same in January and it passed, really should get the root canal when I can though

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Quick pain relief. Get some children’s Calpol in a syringe. Squirt it on. Did the trick for me.

By *akbearMan
over a year ago

Newbury

Get some clove oil from the pharmacy, couple of drops on a cotton bud and v gently around the affected area.

Will sting like heck, but then numb the pain.

over a year ago

Torquay

Yes I've tried clove oil before, it's tolerable right now but unpleasant, I'll see how it goes thanks again

over a year ago

"Yes I've tried clove oil before, it's tolerable right now but unpleasant, I'll see how it goes thanks again"

Tried to pm you the other day about something

over a year ago

Torquay

"Yes I've tried clove oil before, it's tolerable right now but unpleasant, I'll see how it goes thanks again

Tried to pm you the other day about something "

What was it or can't you say here?

If my filter blocks you I can lift it

over a year ago

Dont bother with a root canal just have the damn thing out. Itll have to come out at some point anyway

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Oh I feel your pain OP.

Sometimes sensitive toothpaste applied direct to the tooth helps.

If you've got an infection under it tho try this.

Get some hot salt water and I mean hot as you can bear, not warm.

Swill it round your mouth making sure you get it on and around the offending tooth.

Spoiler alert...This will hurt!

Do this for a few minutes. You really need to get it on the tooth that hurts.

Another spoiler alert...the pain will probably get worse. But..usually within around 20 mins it will improve or even stop.

Then get a dentists appt booked for asap.

This had got me through nights of excruciating toothache before now, hopefully it works for you OP.

By *rumpet and ScouseCouple
over a year ago

Chorley

Salt water and get the the chemist for ibroufen and codeine tablets alternate them with paracetamol just dont forget where your up to I wiped myself out one weekend lol

By *raceytvcdTV/TS
over a year ago

mansfield

[Removed by poster at 25/05/20 00:03:47]

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Ring 111 they will send you to a dentist offering emergency services - probably an orthodontic clinic within a hospital

over a year ago

"[Tooth removed by poster at 25/05/20 00:03:47]"

over a year ago

Torquay

Thanks all, will try salt water rinse and ibuprofen for now and hope for the best

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Thanks both, if it's an abscess I guess I can get anti biotics via an online consultation, might pass if I clean it well. Got the same in January and it passed, really should get the root canal when I can though"

I keep ABIs in for mine , they always give me 10 days worth I take 2-3 days max, usually until the pain stops then one more day. I also keep tramodol in for it , nothing else touches it. You can get root canal plus crown on NHS or an implant privately if you don’t mind losing a real tooth , and it’s happening a lot, I’m quite precious about my teeth so happy to keep it, it’s a tiny crack only just visible on x Ray. Get an X-ray and advice before you decide , some dentists just enjoy drilling and playing

By *ete1260Man
over a year ago

Evesham

For serious dental pain it may help to take ibuprofen and cocodamol (codeine + paracetamol) together. (advice from pharmacist) - and see a dentist. DO NOT TAKE COCODAMOL & PARACETAMOL TOGETHER.

By *aurimauriMan
over a year ago

minster Ramsgate

If you call your dentist, or look at their website or call 111 you will be given a number to call. They will assess your concern and if needing treatment, send you to one of the dental hubs.

My son had a problem, system worked great

over a year ago

Slice of fresh garlic on the fun. Hurts a lot for a couple of seconds but is amazing. Good luck!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

"Dont bother with a root canal just have the damn thing out. Itll have to come out at some point anyway"

I second this specially if it's a 'back' tooth. More expensive and trouble than it's worth.

By *palWoman
over a year ago

The Bermuda Triangle in Suffolk

I started having toothache Wednesday morning on a tooth that has been sensitive for a couple of years which my dentist is aware of. He said if anything changes let them know which I did when I rang them. The owner of the dental practice called me back and gave me 3 options,I chose to keep monitoring it and if it gets worse let them know. Today has been really bad,so bought some clove oil and dabbed a bit on a cotton bud and OMG it heightened the pain immensely and my pain threshold is high or so I thought. Have rung 111 and just waiting for a dental nurse to call me back. I just want the tooth out but as the dentist said until an x-ray is taken they don't know what they are dealing with plus it is a little bit loose.

over a year ago

Torquay

In the end I got a prescription turned out to be an abscess after all which is what I thought, all sorted now

By *ovespudsMan
over a year ago

Swindon

Been having toothache for the last week now. Worse at night when you're laid down, increased blood pressure ?

Had an emergency extraction the week before lockdown, now another tooth is playing up. Found online that surrounding the tooth with malt whiskey anesthetic es the area. Worked for me but woke up with hangover . Also sat up in bed with bag of frozen peas on my jaw, tried cloves as well. Also taking paracetamol and naproxen. Just a dull aches now, but I think I'm becoming an alcoholic junkie

By *palWoman
over a year ago

The Bermuda Triangle in Suffolk

I got a call back from a 111 dentist in London who gave me 2 local emergency dentist numbers. Rang one and he is making a referral to the universal dentist centre who will do what treatment they think is necessary but have no idea where my nearest one is as it's post code based. Can only take paracetamol for the pain but might have to resort to gin or vodka..

By *iger1980Man
over a year ago

cambridge

Best painkiller for toothache is benzocaine,

You can buy it over the counter in any pharmacy.

Small tube. Put small pea sized drop on little finger and rub onto painful tooth and/or gum...makes it go all numb for ages.

Post new Message to Thread