Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scones

Jump to newest

By *oiluvfun OP   Man
over a year ago

Mauchline

Has someone got a reliable scone recipe they're willing to share please? I've tried two separate versions in the last week, and both gave pretty poor results

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *olieandSlaveCouple
over a year ago

Stafford

"Has someone got a reliable scone recipe they're willing to share please? I've tried two separate versions in the last week, and both gave pretty poor results "

The problem isnt your recipe, its your method!

Scones need the lightest of light touches, as not to develop the gluten. When rubbing the butter into the flour, use your fingers like feathers. When you add the liquid, stir just enough to bring it together. Dont kneed, roll once for all the scones and dont twist the cutter!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Has someone got a reliable scone recipe they're willing to share please? I've tried two separate versions in the last week, and both gave pretty poor results

Scones need the lightest of light touches, as not to develop the gluten. When rubbing the butter into the flour, use your fingers like feathers. When you add the liquid, stir just enough to bring it together. Dont kneed, roll once for all the scones and dont twist the cutter!"

this...

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Have you tried the bero recipie?

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

And when you put a wash on the top before baking, don't let it trickle down the sides of you can help it.

Don't forget, once baked, it's jam before the cream

By *oiluvfun OP   Man
over a year ago

Mauchline

"Has someone got a reliable scone recipe they're willing to share please? I've tried two separate versions in the last week, and both gave pretty poor results

Scones need the lightest of light touches, as not to develop the gluten. When rubbing the butter into the flour, use your fingers like feathers. When you add the liquid, stir just enough to bring it together. Dont kneed, roll once for all the scones and dont twist the cutter!"

I think my baking powder may be past it’s best tbh; bbe 2018 I always rub the butter in by hand, but I’ll try to be a bit more gentle next time too, cheers

By *oiluvfun OP   Man
over a year ago

Mauchline

"Have you tried the bero recipie?"

No, but I’ll look it up and see if it differs to the two recipes I’ve already tried, cheers

By *oiluvfun OP   Man
over a year ago

Mauchline

"And when you put a wash on the top before baking, don't let it trickle down the sides of you can help it.

Don't forget, once baked, it's jam before the cream "

Hell yes!

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I dont make scones nor have I

However I know this is the correct answer

over a year ago

Use self raising or better baking powder

over a year ago

The ultimate question: Once scones are cooked, what goes on first cream or jam?

By *moothdickMan
over a year ago

stoke

Yes, M&S, £1.75 for 4, beautiful

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"The ultimate question: Once scones are cooked, what goes on first cream or jam?"

Always jam first.

Post new Message to Thread