Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Car insurance advice

Jump to newest

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I'm normally quite good with things like this but need to pick the brains of those on here.

Long story short. As a carer I've only had a car provided on the motability scheme for many many years... before that I had 11 years ncb..

I have had my gtv insured as a classic car but the policy is to restrictive and I dont earn ncb on it.

However due to the years without private car insurance I'm getting quoted over £1700 for normal car insurance... actually lowest quote for a 1.2 clio is around thr £600 mark... so I need to know if there is any way I can get companies to at least acknowledge the fact I've not had an accident I just dont have any ncb due to being a carer.

Normally I'd ring a local broker and get help but all mine are currently shut.

Car is standard from factory except the radio.

Cheers me dears

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *asha86Couple
over a year ago

walsall

"I'm normally quite good with things like this but need to pick the brains of those on here.

Long story short. As a carer I've only had a car provided on the motability scheme for many many years... before that I had 11 years ncb..

I have had my gtv insured as a classic car but the policy is to restrictive and I dont earn ncb on it.

However due to the years without private car insurance I'm getting quoted over £1700 for normal car insurance... actually lowest quote for a 1.2 clio is around thr £600 mark... so I need to know if there is any way I can get companies to at least acknowledge the fact I've not had an accident I just dont have any ncb due to being a carer.

Cheers me dears"

May be a long shot but may be worth asking current insurance to issue letter or acknowledgement that whilst been with them you've had no accidents. Mr was an additional driver on mine so didn't actually earn ncd of his own until I stated that he'd been on my insurance for 11yrs and never had an accident so that they issued a no claims letter stating they'd give him the equivalent of 4years I think (wasn't loads but it was enough to make a difference). May be worth a shot xT

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

I was 10 years without a car so had to pay a high premium when I got one again, it came down pretty quickly though, I had limited milage which helps.

over a year ago

Motability insurance are always happy to do a letter. All the insurers ive tried wont take it into account

over a year ago

"I was 10 years without a car so had to pay a high premium when I got one again, it came down pretty quickly though, I had limited milage which helps."
yeah but paying more than my son who has a years ncb is ridiculous. When I've been driving all this time with no points or accidents

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Have you looked at a black box? It's annoying but I had one when I first passed my test and it saved me loads. Only had to have it 2 years before I could get normal insurance at a good price.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I'm normally quite good with things like this but need to pick the brains of those on here.

Cheers me dears"

if you have been driving with insurance because everyone has to have insurance to be legal on the road and youve had no accidents or claims then advise your new insurer of that fact that is no claims bonus because you've been driving and no claims have been made

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

There are some pay as you go insurers - might work out cheaper if you do fairly low mileage.

over a year ago

Have you tried going through Adrian flux?

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

How about adding named drivers on it prefer ones with no accidents or claims will bring the price down

over a year ago

"Have you tried going through Adrian flux?

"

as a former modified and performance car enthusiast they were my first port of call.

I've managed to get 2 quotes that arent totally ridiculous.. but still well over £1000. My mileage is too high to stick to the classic insurance I have had it on.

Are there any classic insurance that allow for a decent amount of mileage and to build ncb ...

As my 2nd car I anticipate about 6 to 10k a year. Once motorsport and car events are back on. Also need European cover too.

over a year ago

Cheers me dearsif you have been driving with insurance because everyone has to have insurance to be legal on the road and youve had no accidents or claims then advise your new insurer of that fact that is no claims bonus because you've been driving and no claims have been made "

its additional insurance. As basically I drive a lease car currently. Its owned and insured by a 3rd party. I just put fuel in.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

They do acknowledge it , claims or losses is a completely separate question to ncb as ncb can be protected.

When assessing risk #losses has much more impact than ncb. Value of losses or whether or not you were at fault don’t really count either, that’s why it’s leats best to settle yourself if possible as any kind of loss has an almost blacklisting effect

over a year ago

as a former modified and performance car enthusiast they were my first port of call.

I've managed to get 2 quotes that arent totally ridiculous.. but still well over £1000. My mileage is too high to stick to the classic insurance I have had it on.

Are there any classic insurance that allow for a decent amount of mileage and to build ncb ...

As my 2nd car I anticipate about 6 to 10k a year. Once motorsport and car events are back on. Also need European cover too. "

They’re my only suggestion for insurance

I had my audio car insured through them as

Not many would touch it.

My only other suggestion is try the money saving expert forum

over a year ago

As my 2nd car I anticipate about 6 to 10k a year. Once motorsport and car events are back on. Also need European cover too.

They’re my only suggestion for insurance

I had my audio car insured through them as

Not many would touch it.

My only other suggestion is try the money saving expert forum"

been told it's a case of ring all insurers that have given me a quote and explain to them.. so will see. Ironically the one the alfa club say to use came back at nearly 2 and a half grand. Yet most on the forum there are insuring for less than 400quid.. and I'm hardly a spring chicken

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I was a named driver for years, thought it would be a huge amount for insurance when I went on my own but phoned for a quote rather than on a comparison site and they took it into account

I think all comparisons sites ask the question now

over a year ago

"I was a named driver for years, thought it would be a huge amount for insurance when I went on my own but phoned for a quote rather than on a comparison site and they took it into account

I think all comparisons sites ask the question now "

yeah I had that in the past. Had someone explain as I am still going to be driving the other car still it's like starting afresh but some are taking into account the years driving without claim or points. Managed now to get a quote under a thousand.

over a year ago

Yes many companys will take into account your driving history and not do much no claim bonus. Just google companies that give discount for experience rather than no claims discount. If you struggle I can prob find a few. Used to sell car insurance years back.

Cheers me dears"

over a year ago

This honestly astounds me tbh.

I didn't have a car for 5 years a little while ago while I was commuting, but once I bought a car again it was very reasonable.

It's less than £20 a month now.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"This honestly astounds me tbh.

I didn't have a car for 5 years a little while ago while I was commuting, but once I bought a car again it was very reasonable.

It's less than £20 a month now."

I hate you . My car insurance is £100 a month!

over a year ago

I hate you . My car insurance is £100 a month!"

WTF?!

Granted, my car isn't the best but I've gotten quotes while looking to upgrade and doesn't go much past £30 a month.

Must be quite few factors at play!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

WTF?!

Granted, my car isn't the best but I've gotten quotes while looking to upgrade and doesn't go much past £30 a month.

Must be quite few factors at play!"

I only drive a 1 litre peugeot. It was £79 a month but then it got broken into and its been £100 since. They tried to charge me more but I found it cheaper elsewhere so they matched it.

over a year ago

WTF?!

I only drive a 1 litre peugeot. It was £79 a month but then it got broken into and its been £100 since. They tried to charge me more but I found it cheaper elsewhere so they matched it."

Dang.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

WTF?!

I only drive a 1 litre peugeot. It was £79 a month but then it got broken into and its been £100 since. They tried to charge me more but I found it cheaper elsewhere so they matched it.

Dang."

Bastards I tell ya!

over a year ago

It's less than £20 a month now."

really what is it... as that's cheap cheap. I've been told 300quid deposit and then 120pm

By *iger1980Man
over a year ago

cambridge

Alfa GTV very nice indeed, sorry to appear geeky but is it the twin spark or V6 model?

Situation is odd as you haven’t stopped driving cars for a long time and haven’t had an accident I take it? So the risk shouldn’t have increased as long as you can prove you’ve not been in an accident.

There must be other people in your profession who have experienced similar.

Perhaps reach out on a motoring forum somewhere?

Whomever suggested Adrian Flux it’s a good shout always been good with me.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I just added my 23 year old son on to my car insurance and it is only an extra £18 a month. The two of us together are £480 a year with Privilege.

Post new Message to Thread