Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

parents

Jump to newest

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

What positive traits have you inherited from your parents?

I myself cannot answer this one unfortunately as my parents died when I was young.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Dad - Practical, avid book reader, good planner, humour, people friendly

Mum - Nature lover, tolerance, humour, people friendly

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Both of my parents passed on a sharp mind and a love of learning. Mum taught me the basics of science experiments from preschool (I remember something about coloured ink splitting into a rainbow in water), to watch, to ask questions. Dad taught me to read critically, to reflect, to interrogate problems. (Mum taught me the mechanics of reading) Both encouraged my imagination.

Mum taught me to love fiercely. Dad taught me to stand back and reflect upon my obligations and my duty at a distance.

Both encouraged me to never stop trying. Although my almost terrifying stubbornness comes from my grandmother.

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"Both of my parents passed on a sharp mind and a love of learning. Mum taught me the basics of science experiments from preschool (I remember something about coloured ink splitting into a rainbow in water), to watch, to ask questions. Dad taught me to read critically, to reflect, to interrogate problems. (Mum taught me the mechanics of reading) Both encouraged my imagination.

Mum taught me to love fiercely. Dad taught me to stand back and reflect upon my obligations and my duty at a distance.

Both encouraged me to never stop trying. Although my almost terrifying stubbornness comes from my grandmother."

you are very lucky. They sound like great parents.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Dad tought me gorgerthpy mum tought me to be nice polite and friendly they both siad you have eye sight problems dont let it stop you

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"Dad tought me gorgerthpy mum tought me to be nice polite and friendly they both siad you have eye sight problems dont let it stop you"
That's wonderful X

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Both of my parents passed on a sharp mind and a love of learning. Mum taught me the basics of science experiments from preschool (I remember something about coloured ink splitting into a rainbow in water), to watch, to ask questions. Dad taught me to read critically, to reflect, to interrogate problems. (Mum taught me the mechanics of reading) Both encouraged my imagination.

Both encouraged me to never stop trying. Although my almost terrifying stubbornness comes from my grandmother.you are very lucky. They sound like great parents.

"

Ha, it's funny, they very much have their issues and we're not close. But they gave me a lot.

I'm sure your parents' legacies live on in you.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

It takes me seventeen years to get a pint of milk from Londis; I assume I got that from my dad

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

My grandad taught me patience, nature, science and animals

My grandma taught me unconditional love, kindness and fearless honesty

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"My grandad taught me patience, nature, science and animals

"

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

My daddy taught me skills that has made me very independent

My mummy taught me kindness but also that some people don’t deserve that kindness

over a year ago

I've definitely got my dad's generous nature.

My mum.. Not sure.

over a year ago

Only saw my dad on the weekends but I inherited his love for motorbikes and to tinker with things to see how they work.

Off my mother I inherited her kindness, sense of humour and road rage lol

over a year ago

My mum passed on her emotional sensitivity, helped me with my language development, particularly English and French, and excellent spelling strategy and good understanding of grammar. She also passed on he

My Dad passed on his ability to argue, lose his temper, and talk bollocks. He taught me science and engineering stuff and helped me most with my mathematical ability. He helped me to become more resilient

Both showed me what loyalty meant, shaped my early moral development and demonstrated what unconditional love feels like.

They also taught me many things that determined how I didn’t want to be like them and unpicking my shame and guilt and warped view of sex from the traditional Catholic upbringing I received has taken a lifetime.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Both encouraged me to never stop trying. Although my almost terrifying stubbornness comes from my grandmother."

How great is this

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"My mum passed on her emotional sensitivity, helped me with my language development, particularly English and French, and excellent spelling strategy and good understanding of grammar. She also passed on he

My Dad passed on his ability to argue, lose his temper, and talk bollocks. He taught me science and engineering stuff and helped me most with my mathematical ability. He helped me to become more resilient

Both showed me what loyalty meant, shaped my early moral development and demonstrated what unconditional love feels like.

They also taught me many things that determined how I didn’t want to be like them and unpicking my shame and guilt and warped view of sex from the traditional Catholic upbringing I received has taken a lifetime."

a fabulous skill set!

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"My grandad taught me patience, nature, science and animals

"

They sound amazing grandparents x

By *layfull pairingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Dad taught me how to box, be quick tempered and muck about with cars...: luckily this was offset by mum who taught me the importance of being a nice human being

over a year ago

My mam taught me to appreciate charity shops. I absolutely love them now.

My dad taught me to box as he was a boxer. This chick can handle herself lol

over a year ago

"What positive traits have you inherited from your parents?

I myself cannot answer this one unfortunately as my parents died when I was young. "

Dad - obnoxious and cantankerous old git

Mum - filthy mind

I got it all!!

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

I myself cannot answer this one unfortunately as my parents died when I was young.

Dad - obnoxious and cantankerous old git

Mum - filthy mind

I got it all!!"

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"My mam taught me to appreciate charity shops. I absolutely love them now.

My dad taught me to box as he was a boxer. This chick can handle herself lol "

you go girl! x

over a year ago

iv done everything in power not to be like my parents.

By *ust looking 24TV/TS
over a year ago

Oldham

Dad how to do a dissapearing act

Mum undetstanding kindess opem minded none judgemental how to love women like she did ( was brought up by mum and her gf )

By *irewolffMan
over a year ago

Dublin

My mam - good cook, baker, gardner. Her height.

My dad - love of music, reading, tolerance, understanding.

Both of my parents are passed away. Dad 5yrs, mam 2yrs. Not a day goes by that I dont think of them both.

MsD

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

From my dad - how to be a cantankerous, grumpy old sod.

From my mum - how to tolerate dad

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"iv done everything in power not to be like my parents. "
sadly goes that way sometimes x

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"From my dad - how to be a cantankerous, grumpy old sod.

From my mum - how to tolerate dad "

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

My Grandad taught me to read when I was young. He played Scrabble with me daily so that I could learn new words. It was only when he fell ill at the end of his life that he admitted he hated Scrabble, but he loved watching me learn.

My Nanna, she taught me how to be strong and independent. Probably too well, as I haven't had a partner/boyfriend in 15 years!

over a year ago

My parents had no positive traits, so I have learned by trying not to make their mistakes. I have a few of my father's flaws, which I manage, mostly.....

over a year ago

My dad taught me many practical skills, problem solving, how to be courageous in life, witty albeit sometimes dark humour.

My mum - silliness, patience, cooking and taught me to treat girls/women in my life how I'd expect someone to treat my female relatives.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

None from my dad, fierce temper and not to be messed with, fortunately he worshipped the ground my mum walked on

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I definitely get my daft sense of humour and sense of the absurd from both of them.

The ability to laugh at myself from my dad.

My cooking confidence from my dad...if in doubt fling it in and see what it tastes like!

My work ethic from them both.

My height from my mum, dad was a short arse

My political awareness from my dad.

My love of reading more so from my mother.

Poetry from both.

Neither of them were perfect, but then who is?

By *ust PeachyWoman
over a year ago

Prestonish

I think we learn from our parents in many ways.

The things I like about my parents I’ve tried to adopt as my own traits - and there were many things to like!

My dad was a great friend to have, had a huge social and political conscience and raised a lot for charity. Mum was dedicated to her family and both were very gregarious and talkative.

Those I didn’t like - like my father’s volatility/being quick to anger - and their total inability to offer affection to me or my siblings as a child - I made a conscious decision not to adopt.

Our parents are huge influencers - but unless we have severe mental health issues we can still decide what kind of person we want to be, I think.

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"My parents had no positive traits, so I have learned by trying not to make their mistakes. I have a few of my father's flaws, which I manage, mostly....."
That is sad x

over a year ago

None I hope.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Sadly both of my parents are no longer with me but I inherited my mother's kindness for sure. My dad made many mistakes which I definitely won't, he kept himself to himself and never opened up to anyone a trait that I don't have thankfully. He was also quite quick to lose his temper, I'm never like that. Actually thinking about it he was a bit of an arse hole

over a year ago

I myself cannot answer this one unfortunately as my parents died when I was young. "

I (her) honestly don't think this applies to me as my mum died when I was a little girl, and I didn't find out who my biological father was until I was an adult and had my own children.

I grew up around family members who I learned life skills from, and I also formed my own opinions of how not to follow in their footsteps, opinions etc.

I have developed my own positive traits, I am a very compassionate and kind hearted person who puts others before myself. I am also stronger emotionally than I sometimes give myself credit for.

I can also be a quick witted piss taking, sarcastic twat.... and that's something I love about myself. I like it when I make people laugh.x

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

Thank you all for your contribution.

It's been uplifting, funny and at times sad to read your stories.

I guess whatever our experiences with our parents we can take the bits we like and leave the ones we can't and become our own person

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"Thank you all for your contribution.

It's been uplifting, funny and at times sad to read your stories.

I guess whatever our experiences with our parents we can take the bits we like and leave the ones we can't and become our own person "

*dont not can't

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I’ve learn’t how to be a strong woman from my mum. She left my real dad who was physically violent and raised me as a single mum (working two jobs ) until I was 9. My Nan and my Grampy also helped raised me as they looked after me when my mum worked.

I learn’t that the love of a good family is priceless, and after reading some forum threads on here over the years I appreciate how lucky I was to have that.

There isn’t a day goes by when I don’t miss my Nan and gramp. They were amazing.

over a year ago

Umm. Not sure I learnt a lot FROM them but my upbringing certainly made me more independent and taught me to follow my dreams/career path regardless of others.

But their mistakes have made me a better parent myself as I make sure my children will never feel how I did when I was a child.

Oh, my mum did pass on the ‘heart on sleeve affliction’ which lead to a lot of heartbreak in my younger days!

over a year ago

mum intelligence, dad hard worker

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I learnt not to be like my parents.

My Mother abandoned me in my home country. And my Dad reluctantly had me in the UK. I was made to feel very unwelcome and a burden on my step parents.

I made an effort to reconnect with my Mum before she died. And my Dad has slowly become the Dad I need rather than just palm me off with money to keep me happy he is now here for me emotionally. He admits a lot of guilt over the way my life went which pushed him away from me when I was younger.

So in summary I’m my own man and I will learn from them to not be them.

over a year ago

My dad always showed good judgement and he was so strong-minded. I'm very similar and share those traits with him.

I'm nothing like my mum, she's a heartless narcissist

By *erdy OP   Woman
over a year ago

wiltshire

"I learnt not to be like my parents.

My Mother abandoned me in my home country. And my Dad reluctantly had me in the UK. I was made to feel very unwelcome and a burden on my step parents.

I made an effort to reconnect with my Mum before she died. And my Dad has slowly become the Dad I need rather than just palm me off with money to keep me happy he is now here for me emotionally. He admits a lot of guilt over the way my life went which pushed him away from me when I was younger.

So in summary I’m my own man and I will learn from them to not be them. "

over a year ago

I also cant answer this other than to say they gave me PTSD!!

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Sadly both of my parents are no longer with me but I inherited my mother's kindness for sure. My dad made many mistakes which I definitely won't, he kept himself to himself and never opened up to anyone a trait that I don't have thankfully. He was also quite quick to lose his temper, I'm never like that. Actually thinking about it he was a bit of an arse hole "

I think I know that feeling, when my dad got dementia he changed completely and became quite the comedian, I think it took about a year before he understood that my mother had died, after that he gave up living.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

My dad's entrepreneurealism and willingness to take calculated risks and my mum's money managing skills. Pretty good combination for business to be honest

over a year ago

"Dad tought me gorgerthpy mum tought me to be nice polite and friendly they both siad you have eye sight problems dont let it stop you"

By *asha86Couple
over a year ago

walsall

I inherited my love of reading from my mum and her approach of never taking anyone or anything for granted. Her favourite sayings were “treat others how you would like to be treated....and be nice to people on the way up as you never know you may well meet them on the way back down”.

over a year ago

How to be polite , how to be humble and respectful.

over a year ago

Dad died age 45.. So 25 yrs ago now.. Clever man kind hearted.. Taught me to weld... Play chess.. Skills now shows me I can do anything and have a go.. Was chess champ at school..

Mum... Arty farty n never stops.

over a year ago

"Dad died age 45.. So 25 yrs ago now.. Clever man kind hearted.. Taught me to weld... Play chess.. Skills now shows me I can do anything and have a go.. Was chess champ at school..

Mum... Arty farty n never stops. "

My granddad taught me to play chess , I’d love to take it up again x

By *asha86Couple
over a year ago

walsall

I was always taught from an early age as a kid if yow doe work yow doe ate and i can proudly say everything i have ive worked my arse off for!

over a year ago

My Dad is one of the kindest sweetest men in the world. He’s also an out and proud nerd who’s spend his whole life teaching me to find joy wherever I can find it!

And my Mum is a beautiful soul, and I’ve inherited her blue eyes, kind heart and artistic soul.

By *asha86Couple
over a year ago

walsall

Sorry i meant to put it was D here not tash

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I also cant answer this other than to say they gave me PTSD!!"

Hugs

over a year ago

"I also cant answer this other than to say they gave me PTSD!!"

Big hugs. I have had that also. Here if you wanna chat x

over a year ago

"I also cant answer this other than to say they gave me PTSD!!

Big hugs. I have had that also. Here if you wanna chat x"

Hey thanks..55 years down the line and still trying to sort out the mess they created and added to. Mother nature is my healer, my stabiliser. Hope you re ok? X

over a year ago

"I also cant answer this other than to say they gave me PTSD!!

Hugs"

Thank you, on the whole its kind of getting in a settling ish place...out in the wild wild woodlands and moorlands..x

over a year ago

Pay your bills on time!

Post new Message to Thread