Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Essential Tremors

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was diagnosed with this approx 2 years ago but have had it for over 13 years. Obviously i have had (limited) help and information from my GP and i have sought help and information online but i wondered if any Fab forum members who have it have any info or help.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How are you dealing with it? Are you on medication?

My Dr noticed I have a tremor, checked thyroid etc, all normal. It isn't really noticeable unless you're looking, few people have noticed it and commented but it doesn't cause issues for me

over a year ago

Hi there,i just happened by this thread and read with interest of both your tremors.I would highly reccommend that you get advice on the use of CBD oil.It comes in various forms and strengths but it has been proven to help(especially with neurological ailments)and in particular the nervous system as it does help calm and relax the muscles in the body.It works for parkinsons,MS,epilepsy and even where cancer sufferers are concerned.Obviously you need to seek advice on its uses and variations.But i have family members that have used it and it has helped with anxiety and autism also,because of its calming results.

over a year ago

"How are you dealing with it? Are you on medication?

My Dr noticed I have a tremor, checked thyroid etc, all normal. It isn't really noticeable unless you're looking, few people have noticed it and commented but it doesn't cause issues for me"

I was on Gabapentin for a while, no side effects, i thought it helped at first but after a while i wasn't sure so weaned myself off it and the tremors have remained the same.

When i first noticed i had a tremor it wasn't to bad but got worse if i was ill. Eventually it got noticable and other people commented on it, thinking i had been drinking. Often i struggle to put a key in a lock, spoon coffee into a cup etc. I need to see my GP really but i have an autoimmune disease which is causing more issues so that's being dealt with first (after lockdown).

over a year ago

"Hi there,i just happened by this thread and read with interest of both your tremors.I would highly reccommend that you get advice on the use of CBD oil.It comes in various forms and strengths but it has been proven to help(especially with neurological ailments)and in particular the nervous system as it does help calm and relax the muscles in the body.It works for parkinsons,MS,epilepsy and even where cancer sufferers are concerned.Obviously you need to seek advice on its uses and variations.But i have family members that have used it and it has helped with anxiety and autism also,because of its calming results."

Thank you, i have looked into this but it's hard to know what will help, plus it's expensive.

By *eandluCouple
over a year ago

Thames Ditton

Im sure you can find some help/advice on Facebook. Lots of groups on neurological problems.

over a year ago

I've had full body jerks since my early teens. They've progressed over there years and I'll get maybe 4-5 a day - quite extreme and with no obvious triggers. It was diagnosed as a type of myoclonus.

It'll happen when I'm sitting relaxed; laying in bed; standing up; walking, in fact it can happen whenever with no real signal (though it's never happen whilst shaggin' ).

I have a couple of chronic illnesses too. I don't know if these are triggers

over a year ago

"I was diagnosed with this approx 2 years ago but have had it for over 13 years. Obviously i have had (limited) help and information from my GP and i have sought help and information online but i wondered if any Fab forum members who have it have any info or help."

If it's progressed in any way go back to your GP and tell them you want to be referred for scans.

I've had them done; brain scan and MRI. They found nothing so that's why I was diagnosed with idiopathic myoclonus. But, at least it was piece of mind if nothing else.

over a year ago

I have benign essential tremors,currently on tabs for it,the tabs don't do my libido any good

over a year ago

Yes I have it, so does my son and my mother. It doesn’t affect me too badly at the moment so I haven’t sought medical help. But my moms has severely impacted her life. She was tested for Parkinson’s etc and is on medication but she still shakes that bad she can’t eat certain foods as she can’t control a spoon. She can’t carry a cup of tea etc. I do worry if mine will become that bad, but she has also been told her smoking makes it worse. X

over a year ago

It's worse at night, if your active during the day adrenaline calms it down, in bed I shake like fuck,it manifests itself in various ways

over a year ago

"Im sure you can find some help/advice on Facebook. Lots of groups on neurological problems. "

Yeah I'm on a few groups on FB but I've found that most people on there say take Propranolol but I can't use that. They also condem Gabapentin and it's side effects but I didn't get any

over a year ago

"I've had full body jerks since my early teens. They've progressed over there years and I'll get maybe 4-5 a day - quite extreme and with no obvious triggers. It was diagnosed as a type of myoclonus.

It'll happen when I'm sitting relaxed; laying in bed; standing up; walking, in fact it can happen whenever with no real signal (though it's never happen whilst shaggin' ).

I have a couple of chronic illnesses too. I don't know if these are triggers "

Is it similar to Essential Tremors ?

I do have whole body trembling at times although my hands are the worst affected.

Looks like you should do more shaggin then lol

over a year ago

"I was diagnosed with this approx 2 years ago but have had it for over 13 years. Obviously i have had (limited) help and information from my GP and i have sought help and information online but i wondered if any Fab forum members who have it have any info or help.

If it's progressed in any way go back to your GP and tell them you want to be referred for scans.

I've had them done; brain scan and MRI. They found nothing so that's why I was diagnosed with idiopathic myoclonus. But, at least it was piece of mind if nothing else. "

Will do once i can see my GP

over a year ago

"I have benign essential tremors,currently on tabs for it,the tabs don't do my libido any good"

Oh no

over a year ago

"Yes I have it, so does my son and my mother. It doesn’t affect me too badly at the moment so I haven’t sought medical help. But my moms has severely impacted her life. She was tested for Parkinson’s etc and is on medication but she still shakes that bad she can’t eat certain foods as she can’t control a spoon. She can’t carry a cup of tea etc. I do worry if mine will become that bad, but she has also been told her smoking makes it worse. X "

I hope yours doesn't get to bad.

I was tested for Parkinsons too. Sometimes i spill food when eating, i joke i should wear a bib at mealtimes i am nervous when carrying drinks etc. Some tasks at work are difficult or impossible but other staff help me generally.

over a year ago

"It's worse at night, if your active during the day adrenaline calms it down, in bed I shake like fuck,it manifests itself in various ways"

Ah I'd noticed it's bad at night, also I find it bad when I'm a passenger in a car, i usually end up sitting on my hands !

over a year ago

Thank you for all the replies x

over a year ago

"Yes I have it, so does my son and my mother. It doesn’t affect me too badly at the moment so I haven’t sought medical help. But my moms has severely impacted her life. She was tested for Parkinson’s etc and is on medication but she still shakes that bad she can’t eat certain foods as she can’t control a spoon. She can’t carry a cup of tea etc. I do worry if mine will become that bad, but she has also been told her smoking makes it worse. X

I was tested for Parkinsons too. Sometimes i spill food when eating, i joke i should wear a bib at mealtimes i am nervous when carrying drinks etc. Some tasks at work are difficult or impossible but other staff help me generally."

It's benign,in other words it would move on to something else like parkinsons,it might get worse but it will stay essential tremors

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I do. D has to sleep with his guard up. Literally.

Jo.Xx

over a year ago

"Yes I have it, so does my son and my mother. It doesn’t affect me too badly at the moment so I haven’t sought medical help. But my moms has severely impacted her life. She was tested for Parkinson’s etc and is on medication but she still shakes that bad she can’t eat certain foods as she can’t control a spoon. She can’t carry a cup of tea etc. I do worry if mine will become that bad, but she has also been told her smoking makes it worse. X

I was tested for Parkinsons too. Sometimes i spill food when eating, i joke i should wear a bib at mealtimes i am nervous when carrying drinks etc. Some tasks at work are difficult or impossible but other staff help me generally.

It's benign,in other words it would move on to something else like parkinsons,it might get worse but it will stay essential tremors"

over a year ago

"I do. D has to sleep with his guard up. Literally.

Jo.Xx "

Oh no !!

over a year ago

"I've had full body jerks since my early teens. They've progressed over there years and I'll get maybe 4-5 a day - quite extreme and with no obvious triggers. It was diagnosed as a type of myoclonus.

I do have whole body trembling at times although my hands are the worst affected.

Looks like you should do more shaggin then lol "

Well, mine is a sudden full body 'jolt'. It's been a source of embarrassment over the years, but now I just accept it.

I've 'thrown' hot tea over myself, and I've banged my head against the wall quite hard whilst sitting on the settee amongst a lot of other incidents.

Immediately after having a jolt I have intense goose bumps and they hurt like hell; though the pain could be down to my other chronic illnesses.

I'm getting them a lot more frequent than I have in the past and they seem to be getting more intense.

So, as far as essential tremors go...I don't know. Is this anything at all like what YOU experience or is it an actual tremor as someone might describe Parkinson's?

Regarding the shaggin'...a sudden, huge, powerful surging jolt would certainly go down well with the ladies, wouldn't you think?

over a year ago

Looks like you should do more shaggin then lol

Well, mine is a sudden full body 'jolt'. It's been a source of embarrassment over the years, but now I just accept it.

I've 'thrown' hot tea over myself, and I've banged my head against the wall quite hard whilst sitting on the settee amongst a lot of other incidents.

Immediately after having a jolt I have intense goose bumps and they hurt like hell; though the pain could be down to my other chronic illnesses.

I'm getting them a lot more frequent than I have in the past and they seem to be getting more intense.

So, as far as essential tremors go...I don't know. Is this anything at all like what YOU experience or is it an actual tremor as someone might describe Parkinson's?

Regarding the shaggin'...a sudden, huge, powerful surging jolt would certainly go down well with the ladies, wouldn't you think? "

My experience is different to yours although i do sometimes have whole body jolts. Parkinsons is different to ER

over a year ago

"I was diagnosed with this approx 2 years ago but have had it for over 13 years. Obviously i have had (limited) help and information from my GP and i have sought help and information online but i wondered if any Fab forum members who have it have any info or help.

I've had them done; brain scan and MRI. They found nothing so that's why I was diagnosed with idiopathic myoclonus. But, at least it was piece of mind if nothing else.

Will do once i can see my GP "

You can still see your gp. If your symptoms have changed in anyway or they are troubling you then make an appointment. The nhs is still open for business in the normal way. You might have to speak to them on the phone first. Good luck and dont leave it too long!

over a year ago

You can still see your gp. If your symptoms have changed in anyway or they are troubling you then make an appointment. The nhs is still open for business in the normal way. You might have to speak to them on the phone first. Good luck and dont leave it too long! "

My GP is only seeing people for urgent or emergency appointments. Mostly they use a paramedic for phone call appointments. This is neither, yes its troubling me but it has done for years. It can wait a while thank you.

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

You can still see your gp. If your symptoms have changed in anyway or they are troubling you then make an appointment. The nhs is still open for business in the normal way. You might have to speak to them on the phone first. Good luck and dont leave it too long!

My GP is only seeing people for urgent or emergency appointments. Mostly they use a paramedic for phone call appointments. This is neither, yes its troubling me but it has done for years. It can wait a while thank you."

Over the last few years this problem has escalated for me, last June I had a telephone consultation with my Doctor, she had me come in the same day and spent 40mins with me. She diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Propranolol 40mg three times a day. She also arrange a consultation with a consultant who suggested upping the dose. So I ended up taking 160mg in slow release form every day. I was happy with this until I went for my check up for PrEP when they said my kidney GFR was down from 90 to 42, not good. They then referred me to the kidney clinic for a ultrasound and a consultation with a kidney doctor, this took only a month. In the meantime I told the surgery I was coming of Propranolol as I thought this was causing my kidney problem, and I wanted to try the next drug on the list, which was Gabapentin. This would have taken me 12 weeks to get upto a dose I might need to give any relief for the tremors, so I decided to start on Propranolol again, starting at 10mg which all but stopped the tremors for 19 hours wtf. Anyway I saw the kidney doctor and I explained all of the above and he just said it was like an episode of House After looking at my bloods he then said my GFR had returned to normal at 95. Happy days and happy to be discharged.

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

My GP is only seeing people for urgent or emergency appointments. Mostly they use a paramedic for phone call appointments. This is neither, yes its troubling me but it has done for years. It can wait a while thank you.

Over the last few years this problem has escalated for me, last June I had a telephone consultation with my Doctor, she had me come in the same day and spent 40mins with me. She diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Propranolol 40mg three times a day. She also arrange a consultation with a consultant who suggested upping the dose. So I ended up taking 160mg in slow release form every day. I was happy with this until I went for my check up for PrEP when they said my kidney GFR was down from 90 to 42, not good. They then referred me to the kidney clinic for a ultrasound and a consultation with a kidney doctor, this took only a month. In the meantime I told the surgery I was coming of Propranolol as I thought this was causing my kidney problem, and I wanted to try the next drug on the list, which was Gabapentin. This would have taken me 12 weeks to get upto a dose I might need to give any relief for the tremors, so I decided to start on Propranolol again, starting at 10mg which all but stopped the tremors for 19 hours wtf. Anyway I saw the kidney doctor and I explained all of the above and he just said it was like an episode of House After looking at my bloods he then said my GFR had returned to normal at 95. Happy days and happy to be discharged. "

One good thing about the experience is that it pushed me loose 3 stones.

Post new Message to Thread