Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Work place romance

Jump to newest

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

Hi all,

Whats everyones opinion on a work place relashionship?

With working from home and with whats going on in our work, pur supply chain has been crazy busy so I've been helping out, indirectly that means being in contact with a certain female, lets call her 'amy' not her real name btw! But started flirting between each other over our messages and talk more about everything else but work, anyway, she is drop dead gorgeous and we seem to be getting along and flirting more! So my question is, anyone ever done this? Ever back fired? And also, if it doesn't go the right way, what happens with all the bitchyness that comes from the office enviorament, i'm almost scared to ask her out once were back to some form of normality just with the social implications around the 2 of us as opposed to being scared of the rejection!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Having previously had a workplace romance, I'd run a mile these days. Just not worth the pitfalls if it goes wrong.

Having said that, I know plenty of happy couples who met at work, but for me, it's a no

By *hill1965Man
over a year ago

Camberley

I’ve had a few work place FWBs, up until the latest encounter I had great experiences - sadly the most recent turned out to be a bunny boiler. In future I’ll be very careful.

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

"Having previously had a workplace romance, I'd run a mile these days. Just not worth the pitfalls if it goes wrong.

Having said that, I know plenty of happy couples who met at work, but for me, it's a no "

Thats my biggest concern is more if/when it goes wrong, we are a fairly tight nit office, so say if I'm reading the situation wrong, ask her out and then she inmediatly says no, that would go around faster than covid, I dont have much shame or pride but being tge office gossip peice isn't my intention!

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

"I’ve had a few work place FWBs, up until the latest encounter I had great experiences - sadly the most recent turned out to be a bunny boiler. In future I’ll be very careful."

I assume the fwb thing was a little easier to manage when it ended than a flung relashionship?

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

I had one years ago , bit awkward when we split up !!!! Thankfully I left and never seen her again

over a year ago

Not had that experience myself. I generally stick to not mixing business with pleasure. Flirting/banter has been there, but not crossed the line. Just had in the back of my mind that could potentially open up a whole can of worms.

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

I 100% get the whole mixing business and pleasure, our office if fairly relaxed but because we're all fairly close knit news travels fast, again dont really want to be a huge news topic

By *owdyboy 890Man
over a year ago

Country West

Ask her to go for a coffee with you and take it from there she might be the same way with you..

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

"Ask her to go for a coffee with you and take it from there she might be the same way with you.."

I'm biding my time untill we're able to go out properly for lack of better term and thats the plan

over a year ago

Enjoy the flirting as much as possible.

Ruin it one day by asking the question. You will know when the time is right.

You know what works at your place. Play it safe. Dont ruin your career because of it.

Good luck.

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

"Enjoy the flirting as much as possible.

Ruin it one day by asking the question. You will know when the time is right.

You know what works at your place. Play it safe. Dont ruin your career because of it.

Good luck."

Career wise im 100% safe, it is more the gossip aspect I'm not comfertable with, like I'd hate to be like getting questions about how it went diwn and stuff, especially if it didnt go down well and she kept getting asked about it when she didnt want it

over a year ago

Had a few, even met ex wife through work, some others a few weeks of fun, even nipping to empty meeting rooms for a cheeky snog is exciting lol

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

o/p Is the single? If yes, ask her out for a coffee post lockdown. It's always best to get it over with i.e. a yes or no. Ignore the office...who cares what they think? Good luck!

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

"o/p Is the single? If yes, ask her out for a coffee post lockdown. It's always best to get it over with i.e. a yes or no. Ignore the office...who cares what they think? Good luck!"

Yeah she is, we've had a good laugh about how dating has been horrendous for us both hahah! Thats my attitude, I'd hate for it to be a big drama and she gets asked a million questions about it if you get me, like I can handle that, but I'd hate to think people would see her differently because of anything that may happen

By *iggydog78Man
over a year ago

London

Ive had a work place relationship, just play it very cool and casual, not like you dont care but if it dosent work it was a casual thing and you are still pals after.

Go in guns blazing and she backs off you might have egg on your face..

Its soo good looking forward to going to work aswell!!

Cool and calm..

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

I have had a couple which can only be described as FWB.There is a lady at work I have known 18 years and have nothing but respect for her as a manager and person but would not want to ruin that as she has been a widow for 9 years and her youngest is 17 and misses her dad.I will just carry on been her work friend and respecting her as I have done for the past 18 years.

over a year ago

"I 100% get the whole mixing business and pleasure, our office if fairly relaxed but because we're all fairly close knit news travels fast, again dont really want to be a huge news topic"

Yeah I hear you. Difficult that one because if you really fancy someone, see them regularly and get on really well you just want to find out what could happen if went further. As posters have mentioned two sides to this... you got the usual workplace drama/politics and gossip travels fast... can turn into hate/jealousy and become problematic amongst peers.

On the other side you have people that went through that regardless and end up falling in love and marry. You just have to think it through and if you decide to proceed be prepared for 'potential backlash' having said that you may not get any backlash! That has happened where people say 'nice to see you two together'... 'you look good together' 'happy for you'...

Working for myself, from home when needed I have not been in that environment for years now so things could have changed. Doubt it from the things I hear from friends/family though.

over a year ago

"Ive had a work place relationship, just play it very cool and casual, not like you dont care but if it dosent work it was a casual thing and you are still pals after.

Go in guns blazing and she backs off you might have egg on your face..

Its soo good looking forward to going to work aswell!!

Cool and calm.. "

Ha ha oh I bet it makes going to work much more better when you're in that 'cool and calm' place.

Workplace perks and all that

over a year ago

When I was in my late teens a lady in her mid 30’s took a shine to me in the office, Apparently she was having a tough time at home with her husband. We dated a couple of times and went to first base on the second date. After that she patched things up with a Hubby, and all hell broke loose at work. Every time I went near her desk, and it was always work related when I did, she’d treat me like I’d done something unspeakable to her. Learnt my lesson, never gone near anything like that again.

over a year ago

Met my partner at work and spent the next 20 years with her. Sometimes it works just fine.

By *rad_ell12 OP   Man
over a year ago

Brighouse

Would appear i'm not the first nor the last person to go through something similar! Which was fully expected and its nice to hear everyones experience with this, especially since the world of online dating tends to be bleak! Think like the majority have said, just play it calm and see what happens is the best play here, as I say flirting around is one thing but it works both ways, been informed the office may be open as close as a few weeks time so that being the case, got a few weeks to lay the ground work a bit more as it were

Post new Message to Thread