Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Midlife crisis at 26?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Am I too young to have a midlife (maybe and early life) crisis? I’m sure many others have felt the same way at one time or another.

Everything in my life seems fine. I am well and truly set up and have worked for all the things I have, nothing at all was given to me (house, car, career, education, several holidays a year).

Having said that, I have never looked at the world and been materialistic. I only mention those as that is what people often end up mentioning. I was brought up to find peace in woodland walks and watching sunsets.

Sometimes though, I feel like that just made me more of a deep thinker. I do overthink and question everything! Wouldn’t it be more simple to buy something flashy and be happy! Can’t imagine that. It’s not that I’m not happy, thankfully there is not really anything wrong, unstable or upsetting in my life.

So why do I feel like I am missing something? Maybe it’s the lockdown?

Just sat here (maybe it’s the lofi music playlist ) wondering. How do you find contentment, and if you find it, what do you do from there?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People sometimes talk about a quarter life crisis.

over a year ago

"People sometimes talk about a quarter life crisis."

Quarter life crisis sounds more appropriate!!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm still waiting for my mid life crisis, unless this is it?.....

By *exy7Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Nice to read somebody so reflective and philosophical. I haven’t got the answers to your questions but I’ve enjoyed reading your post. I can relate to it too.

over a year ago

"I'm still waiting for my mid life crisis, unless this is it?..... "

I don’t want to push my overthinking tendencies on to you...but...how do you know it isn’t?!?!

over a year ago

"Nice to read somebody so reflective and philosophical. I haven’t got the answers to your questions but I’ve enjoyed reading your post. I can relate to it too. "

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

Not everyone in 20s are materialistic or fulfilled by it. I don’t see why questioning life and expect more from nature instead of things that you can buy considered as a crisis?!? I would call awakening.

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

"Am I too young to have a midlife (maybe and early life) crisis? I’m sure many others have felt the same way at one time or another.

Everything in my life seems fine. I am well and truly set up and have worked for all the things I have, nothing at all was given to me (house, car, career, education, several holidays a year).

Having said that, I have never looked at the world and been materialistic. I only mention those as that is what people often end up mentioning. I was brought up to find peace in woodland walks and watching sunsets.

Sometimes though, I feel like that just made me more of a deep thinker. I do overthink and question everything! Wouldn’t it be more simple to buy something flashy and be happy! Can’t imagine that. It’s not that I’m not happy, thankfully there is not really anything wrong, unstable or upsetting in my life.

Just sat here (maybe it’s the lofi music playlist ) wondering. How do you find contentment, and if you find it, what do you do from there? "

if your having a midlife crisis , your life expectancy isn't very old !!!

over a year ago

Buy a Ferrari. Every day u wake up and feel down get in it and start it up. Instant happiness

over a year ago

"Not everyone in 20s are materialistic or fulfilled by it. I don’t see why questioning life and expect more from nature instead of things that you can buy considered as a crisis?!? I would call awakening. "

I think it’s because I feel like my life is missing something?

over a year ago

"Am I too young to have a midlife (maybe and early life) crisis? I’m sure many others have felt the same way at one time or another.

Just sat here (maybe it’s the lofi music playlist ) wondering. How do you find contentment, and if you find it, what do you do from there? if your having a midlife crisis , your life expectancy isn't very old !!! "

No no we have sorted this out already. It’s a quarter life crisis which means I have a very optimistic life expectancy

over a year ago

"Buy a Ferrari. Every day u wake up and feel down get in it and start it up. Instant happiness "

I’ll book myself in to see the local dealer

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

"Not everyone in 20s are materialistic or fulfilled by it. I don’t see why questioning life and expect more from nature instead of things that you can buy considered as a crisis?!? I would call awakening.

I think it’s because I feel like my life is missing something? "

If searching things in a life because you feel something missing called crises, I’ve been having a life of crisis since I was 15

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Maybe you have depression.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I work from home and my garden is my sanctuary from all the worlds troubles. I have bird feeders and nature friendly plants. It's good to sit and read a good book out there and watch it all in full bloom. Never get tired of it!

By *uper SaiyanMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Just sat here (maybe it’s the lofi music playlist ) wondering. How do you find contentment, and if you find it, what do you do from there? "

I tend to find when I am in this mood, its a lack of adventure. Im most happy exploring - mountain climbing, going places that most havent or dont find the need. If you're comfortable in your own company this could be it. I do know sometimes that feeling is removed by being around friends.

You are in a lucky position to be set up in other areas (i assume you are mostly financially stable) that you can do these at a whim if you really wanted to.

By *uper SaiyanMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Not everyone in 20s are materialistic or fulfilled by it. I don’t see why questioning life and expect more from nature instead of things that you can buy considered as a crisis?!? I would call awakening.

If searching things in a life because you feel something missing called crises, I’ve been having a life of crisis since I was 15 "

Hahaha this is me

over a year ago

Money, job, possession mean nothing in life really, sure maybe makes life easier but It’s about the memories you make and people you spend your life with. I don’t think you are having a crisis at all OP I think you are human, probably a bit lonely and thinking about life. We live in a beautiful world just enjoy it whilst you can with whom you can. Life is far to short.

over a year ago

"People sometimes talk about a quarter life crisis."

over a year ago

"If searching things in a life because you feel something missing called crises, I’ve been having a life of crisis since I was 15 "

Well that’s quite true! Never thought of it in that sense. Thank you!

over a year ago

"Maybe you have depression."

Nope I don’t think it is depression.

over a year ago

"I tend to find when I am in this mood, its a lack of adventure. Im most happy exploring - mountain climbing, going places that most havent or dont find the need. If you're comfortable in your own company this could be it. I do know sometimes that feeling is removed by being around friends.

You are in a lucky position to be set up in other areas (i assume you are mostly financially stable) that you can do these at a whim if you really wanted to. "

This is it to be honest. Before lockdown I had two holidays and a roadtrip planned. I think I am becoming bored of being in the house. I need adventure!

over a year ago

"Money, job, possession mean nothing in life really, sure maybe makes life easier but It’s about the memories you make and people you spend your life with. I don’t think you are having a crisis at all OP I think you are human, probably a bit lonely and thinking about life. We live in a beautiful world just enjoy it whilst you can with whom you can. Life is far to short. "

Thank you for the beautiful message

over a year ago

"Not everyone in 20s are materialistic or fulfilled by it. I don’t see why questioning life and expect more from nature instead of things that you can buy considered as a crisis?!? I would call awakening. "

Absolutely an awakening

By *irewolffMan
over a year ago

Dublin

Being yourself and being happy in your own skin is all that matters in life. Do stuff that makes you happy. Wear the clothes you want, listen to the music you like, surround yourself with people who truely get you and would be there for you.

I have been through tremendous heartache since Oct17...breast cancer, watched my mam die and then the discovery of my husbands affair for probably years. All that changes who you fundamentally are and how you view life.

Be yourself and dont apologise for it. If you want to spend some of your money on nice things, do it.you cant take the bloody money to the grave. Enjoy it, enjoy life cause we only get one.

MsD

over a year ago

"Nice to read somebody so reflective and philosophical. I haven’t got the answers to your questions but I’ve enjoyed reading your post. I can relate to it too. "

This

L

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Your views on nature & material items are correct, don't worry about that. Money does not provide what nature does...it's a perception only of humans.

I agree with you that this feeling is tell you to you've got something to do, to learn & grow from or with. It's unlikely to be a material item, most mid life crisis are about experiencing something else.

Fast cars and speed are often associated with life crisis adrenaline rushes because the challenge mortality as with many "extreme" sport for example. It's not the material item, it's the experience.

Funnily more men seem to experience these crisis' than women, I believe this is linked to the hunter/gatherer instincts, men were more often the hunter & faced predators whilst hunting game, the adrenaline rush of danger to keep you alive.

Predators follow prey, so women were less likely to encounter them whilst gathering plants, if they had young it would draw predators, hence the mother's instincts to protect her young, still prevent today.

By *uper SaiyanMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I tend to find when I am in this mood, its a lack of adventure. Im most happy exploring - mountain climbing, going places that most havent or dont find the need. If you're comfortable in your own company this could be it. I do know sometimes that feeling is removed by being around friends.

You are in a lucky position to be set up in other areas (i assume you are mostly financially stable) that you can do these at a whim if you really wanted to.

This is it to be honest. Before lockdown I had two holidays and a roadtrip planned. I think I am becoming bored of being in the house. I need adventure! "

On a normal day I would say pick a direction and just keep going till you need a boat (unless you already have a boat - in which case baller), but since its the lockdown era you have to find adventure in other mediums (books, video games, etc). I would recommend learn a skill. You obviously have some aptitude so that might workout for you

over a year ago

Absolutely an awakening "

And good news OP - we have about 3 big ones at various points during our lives

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Do you have a partner, are you spiritual in any way?

over a year ago

A house, car, seemingly decent job and multiple holidays at the age of 26 suggests to me you’re doing it right!

I was nowhere near that sorted at that age.....I’m 44 now and I’m still not. I’ve fucked up massively.

So I’d have to go with you probably having more time on your hands to think about life against the backdrop of a once-in-a-lifetime crisis on a global scale. That’s going to adjust the viewpoint of pretty much anyone.

So, don’t worry about it; you seem to have made good decisions so far and done well from them, there’s no reason to think you won’t carry on doing so.

over a year ago

"On a normal day I would say pick a direction and just keep going till you need a boat (unless you already have a boat - in which case baller), but since its the lockdown era you have to find adventure in other mediums (books, video games, etc). I would recommend learn a skill. You obviously have some aptitude so that might workout for you"

I am learning to play the guitar which is something I’m working on!! No intention of getting a boat. I need to learn to swim first!!

over a year ago

Do you have a partner, are you spiritual in any way? "

I am somewhat religious. It is ramadan. Maybe it is the fasting getting to me and being low on energy!

over a year ago

"A house, car, seemingly decent job and multiple holidays at the age of 26 suggests to me you’re doing it right!

I was nowhere near that sorted at that age.....I’m 44 now and I’m still not. I’ve fucked up massively.

So I’d have to go with you probably having more time on your hands to think about life against the backdrop of a once-in-a-lifetime crisis on a global scale. That’s going to adjust the viewpoint of pretty much anyone.

So, don’t worry about it; you seem to have made good decisions so far and done well from them, there’s no reason to think you won’t carry on doing so."

Thank you. That is a reassuring perspective! I think maybe I don’t excuse myself for letting the current situation get to me a little. But I am starting to accept that this week it HAS gotten to me....a little haha.

over a year ago

"A house, car, seemingly decent job and multiple holidays at the age of 26 suggests to me you’re doing it right!

So, don’t worry about it; you seem to have made good decisions so far and done well from them, there’s no reason to think you won’t carry on doing so."

There's no right or wrong, only choices.

Everyone's had more time on their hands lately, globally awakening - why?

Almost as if mother nature/God/higher self/inner being/source (one and the same) - said "sod this, you lot arent getting it are you - time for the biggy"

over a year ago

A midlife crisis? I have them every single day when I have got to go to work at 9 but on a serious note as long as you are looking after yourself and good health and a good family behind you will be alright

over a year ago

Is overthinking what a mid life crisis is ? I always thought it was getting a Thai wife and buying a Porsche ?

over a year ago

the things you mentioned are just that things you maybe need to get rid of the things and start doing passtimes that enrich your life make you feel good about your life and what you do in it, things that maybe bring you together with others

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I've witnessed a lot of my peers have a wobble in their 20s. I think you grow up thinking if you work hard you'll get a good job, a house, a nice car and a family. A few years after graduating a lot realise that their job prospects aren't that great, even started homes are totally unaffordable and you're lucky if you can afford to get married or have kids, never mind both. So you have this realisation that basically this is it. For a long time. Many feel like they're failed for not meeting the same milestones as their parents. You do get past it though. You learn to reframe what you consider making a success of your life and to live your life in a way that makes you happy, regardless of if you're meeting societies expectations. That's when you reach peak bitter millenial level and revel in the hate of the older generations .

over a year ago

"I've witnessed a lot of my peers have a wobble in their 20s. I think you grow up thinking if you work hard you'll get a good job, a house, a nice car and a family. A few years after graduating a lot realise that their job prospects aren't that great, even started homes are totally unaffordable and you're lucky if you can afford to get married or have kids, never mind both. So you have this realisation that basically this is it. For a long time. Many feel like they're failed for not meeting the same milestones as their parents. You do get past it though. You learn to reframe what you consider making a success of your life and to live your life in a way that makes you happy, regardless of if you're meeting societies expectations. That's when you reach peak bitter millenial level and revel in the hate of the older generations ."

This is definitely true regarding the career opportunities I am seeing that in many many people. You don’t just graduate and then earn 6 figures!! I feel I’m the opposite though. I feel like I may have met a lot of miles too soon. Now I’m bored. Tbh it was as the gentleman above said, I need an adventure when lockdown ends

over a year ago

I definitely feel like its approaching me. I'll be 40 next year but I still act and feel like I'm in my late 20's. I've always ridden nice motorbikes and driven nice cars but maybe it's time I settled down with a 20 something fitness model and pop off to Ibiza for a raving holiday?

over a year ago

OP I have felt the same as you (and worse) for a long time now and I don't have half the luck you seem to have. I do think it's normal though. Whenever I've spoken to my friends about this they have all said they feel the same way. We're at a time in our lives where we're putting enormous pressure on ourselves to be successful so we are set up for the rest of our lives. And seeing everyone else have these seemingly perfect lives on social media all the time certainly doesn't help...

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Maybe you're learning that being an adult is fun, but being a grown up isn't.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I remember feeling a bit like that on and off when I got to 26 and beyond, I'd spent most of my time up to that point going clubbing up and down the country every weekend, wild nights out with friends and just enjoying being young, then life started to change in that close friends got into serious relationships and started having kids and I didn't see them as often, and 30 felt like it was fast approaching and I had this sinking feeling that the party was coming to an end and I was getting old. If you're feeling like that don't worry, very little actually changes at 30 and you're still young enough to do anything you want, you can't stop time so just roll with it

Post new Message to Thread