Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

White knighting

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Have seen people throwing this term around a lot on the forums lately.

Why do people assume that the only reason a man would stand up for a woman would be to increase their chances of sex? If someone said something unkind about me outside of fab I'd like to think that my platonic male friends would stick up for me. And they definitely don't fancy me!

Is it not possible that some men simply want to call out injustice and kindness when they see it, without expecting anything to come of it?

Or am I simply being naive and in fact there are just plenty of sycophantic men on here that will pander to us for the slightly increased chance of pussy?

Thoughts on a postcard.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Have seen people throwing this term around a lot on the forums lately.

Why do people assume that the only reason a man would stand up for a woman would be to increase their chances of sex? If someone said something unkind about me outside of fab I'd like to think that my platonic male friends would stick up for me. And they definitely don't fancy me!

Is it not possible that some men simply want to call out injustice and kindness when they see it, without expecting anything to come of it?

Or am I simply being naive and in fact there are just plenty of sycophantic men on here that will pander to us for the slightly increased chance of pussy?

Thoughts on a postcard. "

I'll answer this question after I've finished my speedboat ride.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can usually tell me when mean are being genuine, and when men are ‘white knighting’.

Unfortunately, it’s mostly ‘white knighting’.

I don’t think it ever works for them, but hey. Good luck to them

Reply privately

over a year ago

*unkindness not kindness

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some men are really genuine and actually state their opinions without having hidden agenda.

You can spot genuine men when they reply to your thread or stand up for what they believe it is right without texting you after

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

How can ‘White Knighting’ during the middle of a pandemic hope to result in sex? There are men on here who are willing to and quite rightly pull folk up if a woman is being publicly attacked on here not in the hope of sex but because it’s the right thing to do

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some men are really genuine and actually state their opinions without having hidden agenda.

You can spot genuine men when they reply to your thread or stand up for what they believe it is right without texting you after "

What if they text you without replying to your thread?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll stand by and watch 2 women arguing but I cant stand seeing a bloke being nasty to a woman and would always step in. Last time I done that though, I nearly ended up in the jail for a long time!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'll stand by and watch 2 women arguing but I cant stand seeing a bloke being nasty to a woman and would always step in. Last time I done that though, I nearly ended up in the jail for a long time!"

Well not true

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'll stand by and watch 2 women arguing but I cant stand seeing a bloke being nasty to a woman and would always step in. Last time I done that though, I nearly ended up in the jail for a long time!"

Sounds like quite the story!

What if it was a woman being nasty to a man though?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

It's usually judging others by their own standards.

Personally I have to examine what a person's reasons are for saying it. If the person is really doing what they are accusing them of, are women not smart enought to figure that out for themselves and ignore the person or do they need another man to save them from the white night? (Irony much!?)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'll stand by and watch 2 women arguing but I cant stand seeing a bloke being nasty to a woman and would always step in. Last time I done that though, I nearly ended up in the jail for a long time!

Well not true "

What's not true?

Reply privately

By *ankie303Woman
over a year ago

Weirdsville South Coast Dorset

I honestly read the title as white lightning at first and was expecting some thread about cheap nasty "cider" that's never seen an apple in production

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'll stand by and watch 2 women arguing but I cant stand seeing a bloke being nasty to a woman and would always step in. Last time I done that though, I nearly ended up in the jail for a long time!

What if it was a woman being nasty to a man though? "

I'll leave them to it

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’d say the difference between the two is quite obvious on here. Loads of it at the moment. Not just from men either. It’s entertaining

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’d say the difference between the two is quite obvious on here. Loads of it at the moment. Not just from men either. It’s entertaining "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’d say the difference between the two is quite obvious on here. Loads of it at the moment. Not just from men either. It’s entertaining "

Or maybe I mean lamppost pissing. I get mixed up between the two. Never heard of either till fab!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well not true

What's not true?"

Your first point.

Reply privately

By *uicy jonesMan
over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

Dam right !!' I was in Shrewsbury town many years ago !!! And a man was giving his gf a mouthful of abuse , then started slapping her about !!! I stepped in to stop it , not because ibtjiughtbid be getting a shag , but because I have been brought up to respect others , and I couldn't Standby and see her assaulted in anyway !!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally I see more women sticking up for other women. I doubt there's a term for that though x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some men are really genuine and actually state their opinions without having hidden agenda.

You can spot genuine men when they reply to your thread or stand up for what they believe it is right without texting you after

What if they text you without replying to your thread? "

you can assume that they just want your anus

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I think it's fairly easy to spot white knighting and distinguish it from genuine comments.

You do see some of it on the forums. I think it puts off more people than it attracts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think many people assume that, maybe some people on the forums but that doesn't reflect the majority.

Reply privately

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"It's usually judging others by their own standards.

Personally I have to examine what a person's reasons are for saying it. If the person is really doing what they are accusing them of, are women not smart enought to figure that out for themselves and ignore the person or do they need another man to save them from the white night? (Irony much!?) "

Quite the irony

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Incongruous language.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I see more women sticking up for other women. I doubt there's a term for that though x "

Women supporting women I love seeing this because you know the intention is pure and less likely to have a hidden agenda other than just making someone feel good about themselves

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally I have to examine what a person's reasons are for saying it. If the person is really doing what they are accusing them of, are women not smart enought to figure that out for themselves and ignore the person or do they need another man to save them from the white night? (Irony much!?) "

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Think you can usually tell. More noticeable on stuff like Twitter drama than on here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I see more women sticking up for other women. I doubt there's a term for that though x

Women supporting women I love seeing this because you know the intention is pure and less likely to have a hidden agenda other than just making someone feel good about themselves "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Personally I have to examine what a person's reasons are for saying it. If the person is really doing what they are accusing them of, are women not smart enought to figure that out for themselves and ignore the person or do they need another man to save them from the white night? (Irony much!?)

"

I would like to think so. However sometimes it is said in such a way that you really believe it's true. Or maybe I'm just naive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't you worry your pretty, little head about it. We, men will take care of it!

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

"I’d say the difference between the two is quite obvious on here. Loads of it at the moment. Not just from men either. It’s entertaining

Or maybe I mean lamppost pissing. I get mixed up between the two. Never heard of either till fab!"

Lamppost pissing (cringe term), I see as staking a claim to someone from comments they'll put on threads. White knighting is just sycophantic behaviour where the person intended does virtually no wrong and will always receive a public show of support regardless if its deserved or not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Thoughts on a postcard.

Don't you worry your pretty, little head about it. We, men will take care of it!

"

Awww you really think I'm pretty?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I would like to think so. However sometimes it is said in such a way that you really believe it's true. Or maybe I'm just naive. "

Even if you are, what do you call the men who jump to your rescue to save you from the white knights? Are they another level of knight? A unicorn knight? Or a double white knight? These are the important questions .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’d say the difference between the two is quite obvious on here. Loads of it at the moment. Not just from men either. It’s entertaining

Or maybe I mean lamppost pissing. I get mixed up between the two. Never heard of either till fab!

Lamppost pissing (cringe term), I see as staking a claim to someone from comments they'll put on threads. White knighting is just sycophantic behaviour where the person intended does virtually no wrong and will always receive a public show of support regardless if its deserved or not."

Ah right. I definitely see both of those.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would like to think so. However sometimes it is said in such a way that you really believe it's true. Or maybe I'm just naive.

Even if you are, what do you call the men who jump to your rescue to save you from the white knights? Are they another level of knight? A unicorn knight? Or a double white knight? These are the important questions ."

I want one on a horse dressed in white to come and pick me up from work

Reply privately

over a year ago

Even if you are, what do you call the men who jump to your rescue to save you from the white knights? Are they another level of knight? A unicorn knight? Or a double white knight? These are the important questions ."

That just means they’ve subscribed to the premium white knighthood.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hadn't thought of this! Maybe there's some sort of nirvana of knighthood all men are secretly trying to attain

Reply privately

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I think sometimes people mix up white knighting and arse kissing. Both happen quite a lot on the forum.

On the flip side there are people who just throw out the term white knighting whenever a man posts in support of a woman.

Reply privately

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

Knight white extra

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

All that effort to put that big heavy suit on just for a blow job. It’s just not worth the effort TBH

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Lamppost pissing (cringe term), I see as staking a claim to someone from comments they'll put on threads. White knighting is just sycophantic behaviour where the person intended does virtually no wrong and will always receive a public show of support regardless if its deserved or not."

Nah white knighting is defending women for some expected gain or benefit. Also believing the women aren't capable of defending themselves. Which is amusing as it's often something men are accused of when defending women over feminist issues. So these strong independent women they are argueing them to be not only need a man to defend their honour but also are unlikely to see a man only standing up for her to try to get in her pants or something. It does happen but those who go around accusing everyone of it are far more annoying and often more patronising than the so called white knights ever are.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think sometimes people mix up white knighting and arse kissing. Both happen quite a lot on the forum.

On the flip side there are people who just throw out the term white knighting whenever a man posts in support of a woman. "

This!

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Even if you are, what do you call the men who jump to your rescue to save you from the white knights? Are they another level of knight? A unicorn knight? Or a double white knight? These are the important questions .

I want one on a horse dressed in white to come and pick me up from work "

Riding in style Nora!

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think sometimes people mix up white knighting and arse kissing. Both happen quite a lot on the forum.

On the flip side there are people who just throw out the term white knighting whenever a man posts in support of a woman. "

Agreed. And arse kissing/ white knighting is hardly limited to men towards women.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Would they be classed as Kings as once a Knight's never quite enough. Just a thought

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

On the flip side there are people who just throw out the term white knighting whenever a man posts in support of a woman.

This!"

Yes.

Occasionally men agree with women. Shock.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I just try and be a good person and do the right thing. Some people read more into it though. For example, I've opened the door for a woman before and she gave me a

scowl. I just thought don't flatter yourself, I'm not nice because I want to get in your knickers. It happens more and more often these days.

Reply privately

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

Some people have no agenda. They are just honest in their opinions and try to be kind and diplomatic. I don’t hang around here enough to tell the difference when people are ‘white knighting’ or ass-kissing, I just take what people say on face value. xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just try and be a good person and do the right thing. Some people read more into it though. For example, I've opened the door for a woman before and she gave me a

scowl. I just thought don't flatter yourself, I'm not nice because I want to get in your knickers. It happens more and more often these days."

Yeah I’ve heard that a lot. I find that really sad

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Some people have no agenda. They are just honest in their opinions and try to be kind and diplomatic. I don’t hang around here enough to tell the difference when people are ‘white knighting’ or ass-kissing, I just take what people say on face value. xx"

I tend to start by taking things at face value. Then see how they play out.

It's not as though anyone makes all their decisions on meeting anyone based on forum interaction.

Reply privately

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

Your platonic male friends are trying to shag you, you have just let your friends or the fact you haven't seen anything to lead you to it.

all men what pussy weather we have to blow smoke up your arse or remember your mums birthday to get it.

As for the whole white knight thing you are either Damned if you do or damned if you don't. I would assume by now most people would know if we were being White knighted or perhaps we been so locked away by Social media we can't tell one person true meaning or not.

Reply privately

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"Some people have no agenda. They are just honest in their opinions and try to be kind and diplomatic. I don’t hang around here enough to tell the difference when people are ‘white knighting’ or ass-kissing, I just take what people say on face value. xx"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just try and be a good person and do the right thing. Some people read more into it though. For example, I've opened the door for a woman before and she gave me a

scowl. I just thought don't flatter yourself, I'm not nice because I want to get in your knickers. It happens more and more often these days."

I think some people have just grown up with the ingrained idea that any interaction between men and women has sexual motivations. I think back to school days where any time I talked to a boy my friends would immediately think we fancied each other and start gossiping. The idea that men and women can be platonically respectful towards each other is actually kind of new when you think about it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its anot hard to tell whi is posting what they believe and who is posting to court popularity. In some cases people have contradicted themselves in the same thread while agreeing with different people. And while that's extreme there are other patterns, attacking certain posters to garner popularity with people that dint like them is one.

It's not a male only trait though, it's just that men are way less subtle.

Reply privately

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Maybe we are all just a little cynical about motives....and not just on here

I'm a glass half full guy and try to see positives (may be where there are none lol)

Overly negative people I find draining and don't enjoy being around

The vast majority of people on here wouldn't want to meet me but that wouldn't stop me chatting without expectation....I just love chatting

Sometimes we just need to take things at face value and avoid looking for what may well not be there

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Thoughts on a postcard.

Your platonic male friends are trying to shag you, you have just let your friends or the fact you haven't seen anything to lead you to it.

all men what pussy weather we have to blow smoke up your arse or remember your mums birthday to get it.

As for the whole white knight thing you are either Damned if you do or damned if you don't. I would assume by now most people would know if we were being White knighted or perhaps we been so locked away by Social media we can't tell one person true meaning or not. "

Ok so if men are only friends with you to try and shag you, if I've had male friends turn down sex from me, does that mean I'm really a man?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Your platonic male friends are trying to shag you, you have just let your friends or the fact you haven't seen anything to lead you to it.

"

Sorry don’t agree with this at all. I think you have to be quite cynical to say we can’t be friends with a woman unless we secretly wanted to shag them.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Your platonic male friends are trying to shag you, you have just let your friends or the fact you haven't seen anything to lead you to it.

Sorry don’t agree with this at all. I think you have to be quite cynical to say we can’t be friends with a woman unless we secretly wanted to shag them. "

I think these generalisations are really unfair to men.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Sorry don’t agree with this at all. I think you have to be quite cynical to say we can’t be friends with a woman unless we secretly wanted to shag them.

I think these generalisations are really unfair to men."

Agreed. Yet they nearly always come from men

Reply privately

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

I think these generalisations are really unfair to men."

I have a lot of female friends who I have zero interest in shagging. My closest friend is a lady, and we won’t ever end up in bed together. Opinions such as this are just not true, and are indeed unfair towards men.

Reply privately

over a year ago

White knighting is generally easy to spot but men standing up for women is not always white knight syndrome (though it usually is on the forums).

I work in a male dominated profession. My team is all male and I know they have my back, they would jump to my defence a little earlier than they would a male colleague. Does this bother me? Sometimes, I’m usually fully capable of dealing with things myself, but mostly it’s reassuring, it’s nice to know they are there. Is it because they want a shag? No. It’s just the kind of people they are.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My pet peeve is when a guy has stood you up or isn’t interested in you and you’ll write about it and people say ‘it’s his loss’ it’s not the dudes loss because he’s the one that weren’t arsed it’s my loss because I wanted to see the guy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People think too much on the forum, or like to over analyse every little thing. Let people be chivalrous if they want, it harms no one.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Thoughts on a postcard.

As for the whole white knight thing you are either Damned if you do or damned if you don't. I would assume by now most people would know if we were being White knighted or perhaps we been so locked away by Social media we can't tell one person true meaning or not. "

Am I being a white knight by disagreeing with this?

This thread is so meta.

I don't fancy all the women I know so I don't want to sleep with them all. They're just friends.

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

If I like a woman enough to be friends with them then I will want to bang them. If they don't want to bang me then it's just awkward as I still want to bang them so they get weirded out and then we aren't friends anymore.

If they do want to bang me and we do it then I'll be friendly afterwards as they've earned my friendship.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"People think too much on the forum, or like to over analyse every little thing. Let people be chivalrous if they want, it harms no one. "

I like this stance.

And chivalry seems a forgotten art.

Reply privately

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

Sorry don’t agree with this at all. I think you have to be quite cynical to say we can’t be friends with a woman unless we secretly wanted to shag them. "

So you are saying if a female friend of yours was sitting on your sofa and said to you "fuck me right now" you would say no we're just friends.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Hello O.P.

People saying that every comment of support by every man that shows support is as unacceptable as people seeing every opposite comment women make as bitchy or jealousy.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's true on here though

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Hello O.P.

People saying that every comment of support by every man that shows support is as unacceptable as people seeing every opposite comment women make as bitchy or jealousy.

"

Reply privately

By *borofucktoyMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Some people just want to be kind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So you are saying if a female friend of yours was sitting on your sofa and said to you "fuck me right now" you would say no we're just friends. "

I think so, although it hasn’t ever happened to me like that to be honest. I’m just saying, you’d have to think blokes were all pretty predatory to say we’d bother to maintain friendships on the off chance of a shag

Reply privately

over a year ago

So you are saying if a female friend of yours was sitting on your sofa and said to you "fuck me right now" you would say no we're just friends. "

This is implying that all men will have sex with any woman that asks, regardless of attraction, current relationships etc. This is simply not true and an outdated way of thinking.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Some people just want to be kind."

Some folk are misguided

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's getting to the point where some people won't believe a man's intentions to a woman are honest until he has turned down sex with her.

Yes, some men are predators are women are right to be weary of them but treating all men and their actions as predatory is going to hold back the progression of society.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I like a woman enough to be friends with them then I will want to bang them. If they don't want to bang me then it's just awkward as I still want to bang them so they get weirded out and then we aren't friends anymore.

If they do want to bang me and we do it then I'll be friendly afterwards as they've earned my friendship.

"

... I wish I could tell whether you're joking or not

Reply privately

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Great way to describe it

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think these generalisations are really unfair to men.

Agreed. Yet they nearly always come from men "

Quite.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I rarely believe this story when I hear it

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

scowl. I just thought don't flatter yourself, I'm not nice because I want to get in your knickers. It happens more and more often these days.

I rarely believe this story when I hear it "

Likewise.

I'm one of those women who rankles when guys make a show of opening a door for me.

I smile and say thank you, because I have manners. (If they're a friend, I ask them not to in future)

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s childish behaviour.

See it on Twitter all the time a man agrees with a woman and he gets lambasted with “Shes not gonna shag you mate” replies.

Very immature. It’s quite possible for men to agree with women without wanting to get in their knickers!

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

In my experience the term "white knight" is most often used by men about other men, and usually as a form of insult to try and put the other guy down and somehow justify their own behaviour when the guy they are accusing has a differing opinion.

I've been called one on here more times than I can remember and pretty much every time it has been by another guy using it to write my opinion off as invalid.

I don't deny there are men and women who white knight with an ulterior motive but they're usually easily spotted compared to someone offering a genuine opinion

Reply privately

By *erry bull1Man
over a year ago

doncaster

Probably because some of us are old school and taught at a young age manners maketh man ,

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bingo! Like that post.

If it's minor or light hearted banter/jokes then we can all smile at those posts in public forums. However if it's constant pestering towards an individual and getting out of hand I have posted to either divert or diffuse situation. It don't matter if it's for single men, women, couples or if I know them or not.

There are those that turn a blind eye and say there is never any negativity going on because they don't want to be seen going against the grain or particular forumites. There are many Fabbers with no agenda or hidden motives. We can all have a good time without stepping on toes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise.

I'm one of those women who rankles when guys make a show of opening a door for me.

I smile and say thank you, because I have manners. (If they're a friend, I ask them not to in future)"

I disagree... I was watching Mad Men recently which is set in the 60s and noticed all the little things men would do around women ie standing up when they came to the dinner table until they sat down, removing their hats in the presence of a lady, opening car doors etc. Of course I wouldn't ever expect any man to do this for me but I would definitely feel a bit special if he did.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Likewise.

I smile and say thank you, because I have manners. (If they're a friend, I ask them not to in future)

I disagree... I was watching Mad Men recently which is set in the 60s and noticed all the little things men would do around women ie standing up when they came to the dinner table until they sat down, removing their hats in the presence of a lady, opening car doors etc. Of course I wouldn't ever expect any man to do this for me but I would definitely feel a bit special if he did. "

More power to you.

I guess though, as someone who personally finds it patronising, I wouldn't kick up a stink. I'd smile and say thank you and move on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if it was a woman being nasty to a man though? "

It ended with me stamping on a guys head! Nearly killed him. All because he was beating up a girl

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've heard of white lightning but not white knighting.

Not a fan of alligning white with good though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise.

I disagree... I was watching Mad Men recently which is set in the 60s and noticed all the little things men would do around women ie standing up when they came to the dinner table until they sat down, removing their hats in the presence of a lady, opening car doors etc. Of course I wouldn't ever expect any man to do this for me but I would definitely feel a bit special if he did.

More power to you.

I guess though, as someone who personally finds it patronising, I wouldn't kick up a stink. I'd smile and say thank you and move on."

Fair enough. I think sometimes it can be done in a way that's patronising but sometimes it can also be done in a way that's just intended as a mark of respect. As long as it's not when I'm at a distance where I have to do the awkward run/walk so as not to keep the door-opener waiting haha.

The worst memory I have of someone holding a door open for me was a nightclub bouncer who then slapped my ass on my way through. That was definitely not respectful

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Likewise.

More power to you.

I guess though, as someone who personally finds it patronising, I wouldn't kick up a stink. I'd smile and say thank you and move on.

Fair enough. I think sometimes it can be done in a way that's patronising but sometimes it can also be done in a way that's just intended as a mark of respect. As long as it's not when I'm at a distance where I have to do the awkward run/walk so as not to keep the door-opener waiting haha.

The worst memory I have of someone holding a door open for me was a nightclub bouncer who then slapped my ass on my way through. That was definitely not respectful "

Sure. It's a matter of preference. I prefer not.

It amounts to the same thing for me though. 95% of the time (unless there's an arse slapping or a "little lady" or something else weird going on), I'll smile and say thank you. Life's too short.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise.

I disagree... I was watching Mad Men recently which is set in the 60s and noticed all the little things men would do around women ie standing up when they came to the dinner table until they sat down, removing their hats in the presence of a lady, opening car doors etc. Of course I wouldn't ever expect any man to do this for me but I would definitely feel a bit special if he did. "

I do love a bit of this too I have to say. A bit of showmanship. I open doors for people with a flourish sometimes, tis nice.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

... I suppose I only even talk about it here as a, the rude man eating feminist getting outraged by a man holding a door.

I think most consider me into the man eating feminist territory, and I could probably count on one hand I've been anything other than polite to someone holding a door for me. And it's been when they've been creepy or put on some ridiculous theatrics about it. And even then... I've rolled my eyes or told them not to touch me.

Not exactly horrific.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise.

Have you missed all the other attitudes they depict in mad men?

Cos most of the time, it doesn't show the prevailing attitudes of men towards women in a good light

Reply privately

over a year ago

"... I suppose I only even talk about it here as a, the rude man eating feminist getting outraged by a man holding a door.

I think most consider me into the man eating feminist territory, and I could probably count on one hand I've been anything other than polite to someone holding a door for me. And it's been when they've been creepy or put on some ridiculous theatrics about it. And even then... I've rolled my eyes or told them not to touch me.

Not exactly horrific."

Not at all. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion regarding this subject without being seen as a raging feminist and I can't speak for everyone but I definitely didn't think that. Like you said, different women have different preferences.

I'm not saying I want men to hold doors open for me, I'm just saying that if they did (as an automatic thing instead of a deliberate, "look at how chivalrous I'm being" kind of thing) it would definitely put a little sparkle in my step.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread has given me a complex about doors now, because I hold doors open for everyone Male/female. Isn’t that just what people do? The safest option appears to be slam door in persons face, regardless of gender.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Likewise.

Have you missed all the other attitudes they depict in mad men?

Cos most of the time, it doesn't show the prevailing attitudes of men towards women in a good light "

Yes I was going to add the addendum that on the flip side most of the male characters in MM were cheating on their wives but then thought better than to bring something like that up on a fab forum

I do understand that show represented terrible sexist attitudes in the 60s in an unfortunately very realistic way but I was just focusing on the chivalry aspect

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"This thread has given me a complex about doors now, because I hold doors open for everyone Male/female. Isn’t that just what people do? The safest option appears to be slam door in persons face, regardless of gender."

No. Hold doors for people. Just be polite. It's not a big deal.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This thread has given me a complex about doors now, because I hold doors open for everyone Male/female. Isn’t that just what people do? The safest option appears to be slam door in persons face, regardless of gender."

To be fair I also hold doors open for both men and women. I think the safest bet is to just go by the distance rule. Are they close enough for you to only have to stand there about a second? Then yes. Otherwise by all means slam that fucker

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also I was referring to date type situations as opposed to just everyday.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It ended with me stamping on a guys head! Nearly killed him. All because he was beating up a girl"

That sounds a bit unnecessary

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"This thread has given me a complex about doors now, because I hold doors open for everyone Male/female. Isn’t that just what people do? The safest option appears to be slam door in persons face, regardless of gender.

Also I was referring to date type situations as opposed to just everyday. "

Oh on a date I might playfully say "oh please don't bother with all of that". Playfully. If things keep up I'll explain why.

I just like manners, without it being gendered.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It ended with me stamping on a guys head! Nearly killed him. All because he was beating up a girl

That sounds a bit unnecessary "

So does that make you the bigger person for having used violence... to stop violence? Just curious.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That sounds a bit unnecessary "

He was beating up a girl quite badly, when I stepped into pull him off, he took a swing at me and missed but the girl I was with on her arse. I seen red and kicked off. I used to be an evil cunt.....that incident was a wake up call and changed me!

Reply privately

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Who would have thought holding a door open for another could ever be so controversial....

Still no door on the cave so I'll wander off *shaking head in bemusement

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fact is, it’s the ones calling out ‘white knights’ that aren’t getting laid.

I’m too busy satisfying fair maidens to notice other people’s forum behaviour unless it’s a damsel in distress, then I’ll gallop right up and throw her over my knee and whisk her away to the safety of my beautiful penis.

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

".

I do love a bit of this too I have to say. A bit of showmanship. I open doors for people with a flourish sometimes, tis nice. "

It is nice, regardless of the gender of the person holding the door open or the one it's being held for.

I find it somewhat ridiculous when people take offence at a simple act of politeness and courtesy and have to make it about something else - I'll always hold doors open, will always offer to take someone's hand to help them over a fence or whatever, and will always show common and basic courtesy regardless of who they are - if they have a problem with that it's their problem not mine frankly.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There's nothing more attractive than a man who has morals & will stick up for what is right. I've brought up my sons to do just that. I hate bullies. I myself couldn't walk by a fight or bullying without saying something. I'd fight a man ()

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

I do love a bit of this too I have to say. A bit of showmanship. I open doors for people with a flourish sometimes, tis nice.

It is nice, regardless of the gender of the person holding the door open or the one it's being held for.

I find it somewhat ridiculous when people take offence at a simple act of politeness and courtesy and have to make it about something else - I'll always hold doors open, will always offer to take someone's hand to help them over a fence or whatever, and will always show common and basic courtesy regardless of who they are - if they have a problem with that it's their problem not mine frankly."

Absolutely spot on!

If I don't get a thank you for being polite, I'm.not best pleased.....again, regardless of gender!

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

I find it somewhat ridiculous when people take offence at a simple act of politeness and courtesy and have to make it about something else - I'll always hold doors open, will always offer to take someone's hand to help them over a fence or whatever, and will always show common and basic courtesy regardless of who they are - if they have a problem with that it's their problem not mine frankly."

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

What about helping to put on a coat?

I am not embarrassed to admit I do like these little gestures!

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

I find it somewhat ridiculous when people take offence at a simple act of politeness and courtesy and have to make it about something else - I'll always hold doors open, will always offer to take someone's hand to help them over a fence or whatever, and will always show common and basic courtesy regardless of who they are - if they have a problem with that it's their problem not mine frankly.

I am not embarrassed to admit I do like these little gestures! "

Sure if you help me to put mine on

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Who would have thought holding a door open for another could ever be so controversial....

Still no door on the cave so I'll wander off *shaking head in bemusement "

... I was responding to claims of rudeness re opening doors by saying that I'm not rude... regardless of what I might feel.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

".

Sure if you help me to put mine on "

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

Sure if you help me to put mine on "

Haha is it to keep you safe from perving eyes? And protect your modesty ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

"

Equality eh?

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

".

I am not embarrassed to admit I do like these little gestures! "

Yep that too - wasn't about to list them all

I also always walk on the side nearest the road when I can and anything else that is basic common decency....so shoot me

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

".

Equality eh?"

Absofuckinglutely!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There's nothing more attractive than a man who has morals & will stick up for what is right. I've brought up my sons to do just that. I hate bullies. I myself couldn't walk by a fight or bullying without saying something. I'd fight a man () "

Nice! If people didn't walk away more bullies would not get away with things. I was once at a huge Fab social, argument/fight broke out and was right in there putting myself literally in harms way to stop it, but then I got pulled away by a friend and told off

Still remember that night because only time I witnessed a major incident related to Fab.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I also always walk on the side nearest the road when I can and anything else that is basic common decency....so shoot me "

That probably is a thread in itself. A list of gestures going extinct. Where I am from men kiss woman's hand as a sign of respect. Not always but in certain situations. I love that. Within family too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There's nothing more attractive than a man who has morals & will stick up for what is right. I've brought up my sons to do just that. I hate bullies. I myself couldn't walk by a fight or bullying without saying something. I'd fight a man ()

Nice! If people didn't walk away more bullies would not get away with things. I was once at a huge Fab social, argument/fight broke out and was right in there putting myself literally in harms way to stop it, but then I got pulled away by a friend and told off

Still remember that night because only time I witnessed a major incident related to Fab."

Good for you! Unfortunately I've witnessed and been subject to severe bullying within the workplace. Two grown ass men who thought they could intimidate the weak. I wouldn't stand for it hence why one got sacked & the other a final warning. It was a year long battle to get to that point but I won

Reply privately

over a year ago

".

I also always walk on the side nearest the road when I can and anything else that is basic common decency....so shoot me "

My ONE very specific "polite" thing I don't like is when someone tries to step in when they see me changing a water cooler, especially if it's a man for some reason. Only because I don't like feeling like someone is underestimating my physical strength, but that's a personal hang up that probably comes from being a bigger girl. I do remain polite but also I'm like "thanks but I've got this". Also it always makes me feel good when I manage to do it by myself

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

[Removed by poster at 13/05/20 23:50:57]

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I’m struggling to understand why people don’t appreciate basic manners, the simplest thing you should do naturally every day for anyone.

Take it for what they are and that’s there is no hidden agenda..... may the door not smack you in the face to hard !

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

I also always walk on the side nearest the road when I can and anything else that is basic common decency....so shoot me

That probably is a thread in itself. A list of gestures going extinct. Where I am from men kiss woman's hand as a sign of respect. Not always but in certain situations. I love that. Within family too. "

Careful...the feminists will be after you for failing the sisterhood

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

That probably is a thread in itself. A list of gestures going extinct. Where I am from men kiss woman's hand as a sign of respect. Not always but in certain situations. I love that. Within family too.

Careful...the feminists will be after you for failing the sisterhood "

Cant I be a feminist when it comes to important issues and a person who appreciates this kind of traditional behaviour too? I do hold door for the men too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Cant I be a feminist when it comes to important issues and a person who appreciates this kind of traditional behaviour too? I do hold door for the men too "

I definitely class myself as a feminist and see nothing wrong with these little shows of chivalry. The difference between that and "old fashioned" in my opinion is EXPECTING a man to do it. I have zero expectations but find it nice when it happens basically.

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

My ONE very specific "polite" thing I don't like is when someone tries to step in when they see me changing a water cooler, especially if it's a man for some reason. Only because I don't like feeling like someone is underestimating my physical strength, but that's a personal hang up that probably comes from being a bigger girl. I do remain polite but also I'm like "thanks but I've got this". Also it always makes me feel good when I manage to do it by myself "

And this is where common sense and a little respect comes in to it - despite the fact that I'll always be courteous and polite towards anyone, and offer to help, I'm also not going to try and patronise by taking a "you're a woman are you sure you can manage" angle - to take your example I might ask if you needed a hand, or if it looked like you were struggling offer to help - but I'm not going to immediately assume you need it and rush over and push you out of the way either. It's about using discretion and common sense nothing more, and that applies regardless of the gender of the person you are helping.

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

"

Cant I be a feminist when it comes to important issues and a person who appreciates this kind of traditional behaviour too? I do hold door for the men too "

Of course you can, we already know we can't win whatever we do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/05/20 00:02:01]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There's nothing more attractive than a man who has morals & will stick up for what is right. I've brought up my sons to do just that. I hate bullies. I myself couldn't walk by a fight or bullying without saying something. I'd fight a man ()

Still remember that night because only time I witnessed a major incident related to Fab.

Good for you! Unfortunately I've witnessed and been subject to severe bullying within the workplace. Two grown ass men who thought they could intimidate the weak. I wouldn't stand for it hence why one got sacked & the other a final warning. It was a year long battle to get to that point but I won "

Perseverance! Happy days

Politics/drama, bullying is common in workplace. You have to stand your ground otherwise people try to take the piss and advantage. Once you show them you ain't a pushover some back off or in extreme circumstances shown the door.

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

Cant I be a feminist when it comes to important issues and a person who appreciates this kind of traditional behaviour too? I do hold door for the men too

I definitely class myself as a feminist and see nothing wrong with these little shows of chivalry. The difference between that and "old fashioned" in my opinion is EXPECTING a man to do it. I have zero expectations but find it nice when it happens basically. "

My tongue was in my cheek for the avoidance of doubt - sadly there are *some* feminists who do seem to have a problem with chivalry as this thread appears to have shown.

And it happening naturally is exactly how it should be - again regardless of the gender of the person doing it or the recipient - comes back to basic common courtesy and decency NOT a man or woman thing in the slightest

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

I definitely class myself as a feminist and see nothing wrong with these little shows of chivalry. The difference between that and "old fashioned" in my opinion is EXPECTING a man to do it. I have zero expectations but find it nice when it happens basically. "

And gee, it's just preference. You like it, I don't, we're both polite, the world keeps moving.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My ONE very specific "polite" thing I don't like is when someone tries to step in when they see me changing a water cooler, especially if it's a man for some reason. Only because I don't like feeling like someone is underestimating my physical strength, but that's a personal hang up that probably comes from being a bigger girl. I do remain polite but also I'm like "thanks but I've got this". Also it always makes me feel good when I manage to do it by myself

And this is where common sense and a little respect comes in to it - despite the fact that I'll always be courteous and polite towards anyone, and offer to help, I'm also not going to try and patronise by taking a "you're a woman are you sure you can manage" angle - to take your example I might ask if you needed a hand, or if it looked like you were struggling offer to help - but I'm not going to immediately assume you need it and rush over and push you out of the way either. It's about using discretion and common sense nothing more, and that applies regardless of the gender of the person you are helping."

Yes it's the latter that annoys me. I have no problem with someone asking if I need a hand as a water cooler is generally a pretty heavy object but 9 times out of 10 (yes I have changed a lot of water coolers) it will be someone physically trying to take it off me because they assume I can't handle it, whether that be because of my sex or physique. When in actual fact I am the Chief Bottle/Jar Opener among most of my social circles

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I definitely class myself as a feminist and see nothing wrong with these little shows of chivalry. The difference between that and "old fashioned" in my opinion is EXPECTING a man to do it. I have zero expectations but find it nice when it happens basically.

And gee, it's just preference. You like it, I don't, we're both polite, the world keeps moving."

Yes that's why I said "in my opinion".

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Surely, projecting is where it all goes wrong.

Some people care, those projecting obviously don’t.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

And gee, it's just preference. You like it, I don't, we're both polite, the world keeps moving.

Yes that's why I said "in my opinion". "

I was agreeing with you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I was agreeing with you "

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

I was agreeing with you "

Sorry, but saying "you like it, I don't" seems a funny way of agreeing with someone

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

And this is where common sense and a little respect comes in to it - despite the fact that I'll always be courteous and polite towards anyone, and offer to help, I'm also not going to try and patronise by taking a "you're a woman are you sure you can manage" angle - to take your example I might ask if you needed a hand, or if it looked like you were struggling offer to help - but I'm not going to immediately assume you need it and rush over and push you out of the way either. It's about using discretion and common sense nothing more, and that applies regardless of the gender of the person you are helping."

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

And this is where common sense and a little respect comes in to it - despite the fact that I'll always be courteous and polite towards anyone, and offer to help, I'm also not going to try and patronise by taking a "you're a woman are you sure you can manage" angle - to take your example I might ask if you needed a hand, or if it looked like you were struggling offer to help - but I'm not going to immediately assume you need it and rush over and push you out of the way either. It's about using discretion and common sense nothing more, and that applies regardless of the gender of the person you are helping.

Yes it's the latter that annoys me. I have no problem with someone asking if I need a hand as a water cooler is generally a pretty heavy object but 9 times out of 10 (yes I have changed a lot of water coolers) it will be someone physically trying to take it off me because they assume I can't handle it, whether that be because of my sex or physique. When in actual fact I am the Chief Bottle/Jar Opener among most of my social circles "

Yep can totally see why that would be annoying - much the same as I would be faced with a similar situation and anyone tried to do the same and had made assumptions I wasn't capable.

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I like to think that I am genuine and generally express my actual opinion... unless it might offend (I often feel like tell people they are stupid).

I would speak up for anyone who I thought was being treated unfairly whether they are male or female.

Cal

Reply privately

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I think you're absolutely right and I'll fight anyone who says you're not.

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

You can spot genuine men when they reply to your thread or stand up for what they believe it is right without texting you after "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Surely, projecting is where it all goes wrong.

Some people care, those projecting obviously don’t."

Brilliant

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/05/20 08:40:48]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I stick up for women but I'm no white Knight just a gentleman that's how I was brought up

Reply privately

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I haven't read the entire thread, but what some see has negative traits others see has positive.

I was brought up to be polite and courteous towards others and I love to compliment the ladies.

It seems you can't win.

You try to be kind and get slagged off or you're impolite and get called nasty.

I'll just be me - take it or leave it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I see more women sticking up for other women. I doubt there's a term for that though x

Women supporting women I love seeing this because you know the intention is pure and less likely to have a hidden agenda other than just making someone feel good about themselves "

I disagree

Reply privately

By *hav02Man
over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Just came to find a cloth...

I'm going back to polishing my armour.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I haven't read the entire thread, but what some see has negative traits others see has positive.

I was brought up to be polite and courteous towards others and I love to compliment the ladies.

It seems you can't win.

You try to be kind and get slagged off or you're impolite and get called nasty.

I'll just be me - take it or leave it. "

I know what you mean. For example some call flirting lamppost pissing. I'm a heavy flirt, half the time it's not even serious, I'm just having light hearted back and forth with someone. However, even if I do actually fancy someone, my flirting isn't staking a claim. I'm a swinger, I share happily and readily. Others can go right ahead and piss all over that same lamppost too (provided said lamppost enjoys watersports i guess )

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

I was agreeing with you

Sorry, but saying "you like it, I don't" seems a funny way of agreeing with someone "

I think the agreement is on that neither is wrong or "less feminist".

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

I was agreeing with you

Sorry, but saying "you like it, I don't" seems a funny way of agreeing with someone

I think the agreement is on that neither is wrong or "less feminist"."

Ah right...didn't read it that way

Reply privately

over a year ago

What about knight in white satin?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What about knight in white satin? "

They never reach the end so I wouldn’t count on them personally

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

Who wants to come for a ride on my horsey?

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"Who wants to come for a ride on my horsey? "

I know she likes riding and all but not sure Miss Red will appreciate being called "horsey"

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Who wants to come for a ride on my horsey?

I know she likes riding and all but not sure Miss Red will appreciate being called "horsey" "

Reply privately

over a year ago

I know she likes riding and all but not sure Miss Red will appreciate being called "horsey" "

Reply privately

over a year ago

i agree with you amber what colour are your niks today?

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

You would be surprised at the some of the shit she's into

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

I know she likes riding and all but not sure Miss Red will appreciate being called "horsey"

You would be surprised at the some of the shit she's into "

It's more the shit she says *you're* into that surprises me Gladys...I did remember your weekend name right I hope

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Pony play is thing. I rather like the look of the shoes.

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Pony play is thing. I rather like the look of the shoes."

And the anal plug tails

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

And the anal plug tails "

Swish, swish!

Reply privately

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

From white knights to their trusty steeds in one thread...boom

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Probably because some of us are old school and taught at a young age manners maketh man , "

Manners does not mean agreeing for the sake of agreeing

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

The Hoofy ones?

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

The Hoofy ones?"

Kind of like platform boots but without a heel on them so you have to balance on just your toes.

Reply privately

By *r MoriartyMan
over a year ago

The Hoofy ones?

Kind of like platform boots but without a heel on them so you have to balance on just your toes."

Yeah that's the ones, stick a status up I'm sure someone will buy you some!

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

And the anal plug tails

Swish, swish!"

Feed the horse...

Reply privately

By *iss.RedWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

It's more the shit she says *you're* into that surprises me Gladys...I did remember your weekend name right I hope "

Shhh Gladys gets upset if you use it during the week

Reply privately

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

This could be used as an example of White Knighting.

Reply privately

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

The Hoofy ones?

Kind of like platform boots but without a heel on them so you have to balance on just your toes.

Yeah that's the ones, stick a status up I'm sure someone will buy you some!"

No thanks

Reply privately

By *iss.RedWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

Ahem, no discretion

Reply privately

By *ddictedToLoveMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

There’s also a new term for that called a “simp” Maybe they’re confusing it with being a “nice guy” and that they’re only defending a woman so they can get in her pants

Reply privately

over a year ago

This could be used as an example of White Knighting.

"

Well the next time you see a woman getting the living hell beat out of her by a bloke, just you stand there in fear of being called a white knight!

Reply privately