Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

£1000 phone

Jump to newest

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

I'm doing some work research

I am interested has anyone bought a premium phone?

How much do you usually spend?

Or is that just a massive rip off and your Nokia 3310 still gets the job done

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Honestly they are dude.

You can find a phone that outperform those flagships and it is half price.

By *overt711CoolMan
over a year ago

Leicestershire

"I'm doing some work research

Or is that just a massive rip off and your Nokia 3310 still gets the job done"

Good question and I’ll be interested in the answer as I always go for a cheepo phone

By *ustme34Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Honestly they are dude.

You can find a phone that outperform those flagships and it is half price. "

you can .. if your willing to go Chinese.. I got a galaxy s10 on my contract upgrade when it first came out ... great phone... but before that I was looking and the chinese brands offer some great phones that look identical... same processor same camera. They have a lot of internals the same .. maybe the older android not the latest ..( but does that matter) .. if I was buying outright rather than contract id get a Chinese phone.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I have been getting iPhones since 4s

Last year I didn’t upgrade and switched to a 20 quid a month sim only contract- I couldn’t justify a new phone

This year maybe different tho

over a year ago

"Honestly they are dude.

You can find a phone that outperform those flagships and it is half price. you can .. if your willing to go Chinese.. I got a galaxy s10 on my contract upgrade when it first came out ... great phone... but before that I was looking and the chinese brands offer some great phones that look identical... same processor same camera. They have a lot of internals the same .. maybe the older android not the latest ..( but does that matter) .. if I was buying outright rather than contract id get a Chinese phone."

Even the highest phone are made in china do don't know what you meant by going Chinese

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I love my phone a Sony experia I can't believe a £1000 pound phone is more than twice as good as this one.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

I have a Blackview A60 Pro, android 9, facial recognition, fingerprint reader, dual sim, 4680mAh battery. Made in Hong Kong £54.00 including shipping.

The big boys are taking the piss at £1,000+ for pretty much the same thing!

over a year ago

It depends what you use it for/how much you use it. I have a £900ish Samsung Galaxy Note 10 but am constantly attached to it and use it for everything from watching movies to developing apps, as well as its intended purpose of screen writing/taking notes. It's a really good phone to use for working on projects and just generally asking a lot of your phone's processing power but if you're just going to use yours for calling, texting and the occasional youtube video then absolutely go for the Nokia 3310 instead

over a year ago

Like one other poster I also have the samsung note 10 although the plus model for screen size. Use it as phone, camera, note pad, sat nav, great that I can use windows excel, word, etc whilst out of the office. Answer emails browse the web..its so much more than just a phone for calls and the old SMS messages..yes it cost a good bit but when you consider the cost of a camera, lap top, sat nav, etc then it's not unreasonable. I've seen colleagues with cheaper smart phones and honestly wouldn't swap them..J...

over a year ago

"Honestly they are dude.

You can find a phone that outperform those flagships and it is half price. you can .. if your willing to go Chinese.. I got a galaxy s10 on my contract upgrade when it first came out ... great phone... but before that I was looking and the chinese brands offer some great phones that look identical... same processor same camera. They have a lot of internals the same .. maybe the older android not the latest ..( but does that matter) .. if I was buying outright rather than contract id get a Chinese phone."

I’ve gone Chinese too. iPhone XS Max

I wish I’d waited for the 11 though

over a year ago

Had iPhones for long time now just changed to 11 not much difference in monthly payments and very happy with it

By *ustme34Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Honestly they are dude.

You can find a phone that outperform those flagships and it is half price. you can .. if your willing to go Chinese.. I got a galaxy s10 on my contract upgrade when it first came out ... great phone... but before that I was looking and the chinese brands offer some great phones that look identical... same processor same camera. They have a lot of internals the same .. maybe the older android not the latest ..( but does that matter) .. if I was buying outright rather than contract id get a Chinese phone.

Even the highest phone are made in china do don't know what you meant by going Chinese "

I was looking at the ellephone u 2 or u pro they basically take the top phones and make a knock off copy. Using slot of the same parts as your not buying the apple or Samsung brand

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Love my note 9 as it has a pen with a camera remote button

And I love the pen feature too

Buy upright, it's far cheaper than a contract

By *llaboutthewifeCouple
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Love my note 9 as it has a pen with a camera remote button

And I love the pen feature too

Buy upright, it's far cheaper than a contract

"

Outright ffs sorry

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Happy with my value for money £150 Samsung.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I haven’t yet, normally wait and get 1-2 versions down for 400-600, but that's because I think it’s a better approach not because I don’t want to spend 1K on a phone.

Premium phone like latest iPhone or Galaxy or Huawei is worth £1000+ When you consider the camera, screen size and processing power. You pay 3-4 x that for a decent laptop and 30-40x that for a decent car so I don’t think it’s overpriced at all

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

I wasn't expecting this...you'd think money would be tight with the lockdown. I guess not

Personally I'm sick of throwing away £1k every 12/24 month product cycle

I recently dropped my phone on to my ipad obliterating both screens.

All the new phones I saw where massive... I am already carrying 7 inches between my jean pockets I don't need a phone the same in there too.

Mwhahahaha

over a year ago

We have an old iPhone 4 as a fab phone. Hubby and I broke the apple cycle last year and switched to Sony Xperia 10.

over a year ago

I’ve just got rid of my iPhone 5 to an iPhone 11 Pro.

In comparison the main functions are exactly

The same as in calls etc.

The 11 is £1050, a lot of which i imagine is for the camera, it takes fantastic photos and the low light/night mode is unbelievable.

There’s also the tech such as facial recognition and the sound quality is much better.

Would I spend the cash outright, probably not. But on a contract it’s a no brainier.

over a year ago

Or is that just a massive rip off and your Nokia 3310 still gets the job done"

what do you want a phone to do?

make calls

make texts

take pics

connect to the internet

That's it...... most modern phones do that spend a £100 and give me the other £900 great ideas cost less

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Moto G6, does the job for me and very cheap.

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

I bought a new unlocked Cubot handset from Amazon. Pretty much the exact same specs as the new Samsung, but £90 including delivery.

I have a £10 a month package deal with EE with more rollover data than I can ever use.

I'd never go back to a contract again, or spend more than £100 on a phone.

over a year ago

"I bought a new unlocked Cubot handset from Amazon. Pretty much the exact same specs as the new Samsung, but £90 including delivery.

I have a £10 a month package deal with EE with more rollover data than I can ever use.

I'd never go back to a contract again, or spend more than £100 on a phone."

exactly what i said

over a year ago

Or is that just a massive rip off and your Nokia 3310 still gets the job donewhat do you want a phone to do?

make calls

make texts

take pics

connect to the internet

That's it...... most modern phones do that spend a £100 and give me the other £900 great ideas cost less "

Some people want their phones to do a whole lot more than that though, and therefore can justify spending the money.

over a year ago

My first smartphone cost over £500 and my last one cost me around £120 I can't really see any difference in them. Personally I think the flagship phones are a rip off.

over a year ago

Or is that just a massive rip off and your Nokia 3310 still gets the job donewhat do you want a phone to do?

make calls

make texts

take pics

connect to the internet

That's it...... most modern phones do that spend a £100 and give me the other £900 great ideas cost less

Some people want their phones to do a whole lot more than that though, and therefore can justify spending the money. "

really why not just use a tablet for anything else, technology for me is a very short lived thing so to spend a £1000 on a phone that the technology is simply overtaken in a few months time....... is it worth it

over a year ago

I’ve had a apple and android, for me it’s apple all the way. I feel like you get what you pay for and there’s more residual value when you sell it.

By *arksx OP   Man
over a year ago

Leicester / London

I replaced the samsung note I smashed into my ipad pro

With an s10e and ipad mini

I get the best of android and ios.

They are both portable.

I can actually use the s10e as a phone

The ipad mini is small enough to fit in a pocket.

Both of them cost £700 together.

over a year ago

I feel like there's a bit of judgement towards those who choose to spend more on this thread. Honestly it depends who you are and what you use it for. If it's just everyday calls and texts and bit of Internet use then I'm sure a more basic model will see you through. It just depends what you want to get out of your phone.

For example there are specific gaming laptops that can handle all day processing of massive RPG games and other laptops that have amazing resolutions you'd mainly use for watching TV and movies etc. Then there are more basic all rounders for people who just need to send a few emails, watch a movie or two and browse the Internet - those are generally cheaper (same idea as cheaper smartphones).

I bought my £2000 Macbook specifically for programming. I can use it all day to develop applications and yet it can't handle 10 minutes of The Sims gameplay - I use a £250 Acer for that. But then the Acer can't handle 10 minutes of the code editor I use on my Macbook. They are not interchangeable at all.

At the end of the day if you are happy with your phone that's all that counts. I feel like I get what I paid for with my Note 10 as it meets my specific needs and wouldn't ever look back.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

If you pay £1000 for a phone you have more money then sense.

over a year ago

"I replaced the samsung note I smashed into my ipad pro

With an s10e and ipad mini

I get the best of android and ios.

They are both portable.

I can actually use the s10e as a phone

The ipad mini is small enough to fit in a pocket.

Both of them cost £700 together. "

Actually notes are classed as "phablets" - a phone and tablet in one. Paying a couple hundred extra for the convenience of only carrying one device plus the functionality of the built in S Pen is well worth it in my opinion.

over a year ago

For me I have a very basic phone..can t load more than 2 apps which suits me and if I take more than 2 bits of short film it screams at me that storage is full..Im lucky if it will store more than 10 pics but it works for me fine.

By *heekyFlirtyCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Stockport

I brought an iPhone 6 in Oct 2014 and got a sim only contract for £10 a month, still going strong now (well battery doesn’t last as long as it used to) it’s was well worth buying it at the time as it didn’t take long to pay for itself by what I was saving on the contracts deals at the time.

I did decide to get a new one last year, seems having them under contract is cheaper now rather than buying so I’ve gone on a two year contract then I’ll go back to sim only.

You just have to do some homework and decide what you want from a phone and go from there

Mrs J x

By *DreamOfGenieWoman
over a year ago

London

I totally understand why people might need/want to spend more depending on what they're using it for.

For me, as long as my phone can access the internet, app store, use Google Pay, make a call and send a text, I'm happy. A bonus would be a good camera. But as that's all I need it for, I'm glad I switched from contract to a £100 handset, it's saved me a fortune!

By *ogue-neMan
over a year ago

durham

Personally I'm in the cycle of sticking with flagships and have no complaints regarding the costs. Using one for work activities means means I use it heavily for many activities, and it simply works.

Been said here already but you should buy for what you need. Cheaper phones will have compromises, theres no two ways about it, but if they fit your usage then no issue.

Yes you pay a premium for a flagship but that's true in every industry on the planet,

Also worth noting if it wasn't for the flagships constantly developing and pushing technology, adding new features the low end phones simply wouldn't exist.

By *rNaughtyNickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Long gone are the days of having a contract phone and paying over £35pm for 18months or how ever Kong they tie you in now. If you have time to do your homework you can get a decent spec phone for around £300 that is very similar to those flagship sheep phones !

By *uriousVoyeurMan
over a year ago

Northside

Xiaomi MIa3 is well worth a look at. I always preferred Samsung but I'm very hard on phones and always end up dropping them ,even with a protective case on,and the screen gets smashed. I spent a fortune over the years on flagship phones and a friend suggested looking at Xiaomi so I bought this one, €176 delivered and I'm on a €10pm SIM only plan. The spec on the phone is perfect for what I need it for. It does exactly the same as a Samsung for a fraction of the price. Just my tuppence worth!

over a year ago

I’ll stick to my 8850

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Mine was £49 and does all I want it to.

over a year ago

"If you pay £1000 for a phone you have more money then sense. "

Personal choice surely how people spend their money????

over a year ago

Iphone XR, unlimited calls and texts, 120gb data, £32 a month, pretty recent phone too so im happy, also got £42 cashback through quidco

over a year ago

I've got an iPhone 11 Pro. It costs me less a month than what most people spend at the pub in one night. What's the big deal?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I always buy my iPhone outright I have a sim only contract

By *ingle ex cuckMan
over a year ago

chester

Everyone needs a mini pc in these times

What you spend is what you need it for

They are no longer phones

They haven’t been for a while

By *rNaughtyNickMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Everyone needs a mini pc in these times

What you spend is what you need it for

They are no longer phones

They haven’t been for a while "

Thats the thing the money you spend on a "flagship" phone you can actually get yourself a decent pc

By *erriAnneTV/TS
over a year ago

The shire

Huawei and one plus are so much better than Samsung or apple products. Also half the price too. Better camera better os more user friendly too. Android is better than ios anyway.

over a year ago

My phones tend to last me 4-5 years at least so buying a premium phone for me isn’t that big an expense over the totality of its life span.

However if I found I needed to replace it more often I probably wouldn’t go premium...thankfully I’m able to look after my phone pretty well!

over a year ago

"Huawei and one plus are so much better than Samsung or apple products. Also half the price too. Better camera better os more user friendly too. Android is better than ios anyway. "

Our daughter just switched from IPhone to Huawei on two year contract says she can’t wait till it’s over not impressed at all

By *estless nativeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

"Xiaomi MIa3 is well worth a look at. I always preferred Samsung but I'm very hard on phones and always end up dropping them ,even with a protective case on,and the screen gets smashed. I spent a fortune over the years on flagship phones and a friend suggested looking at Xiaomi so I bought this one, €176 delivered and I'm on a €10pm SIM only plan. The spec on the phone is perfect for what I need it for. It does exactly the same as a Samsung for a fraction of the price. Just my tuppence worth! "

I have the same handset, very simillair to Samsung, I got a 128GB version for £150 not had any problems with it

By *uriousVoyeurMan
over a year ago

Northside

"Xiaomi MIa3 is well worth a look at. I always preferred Samsung but I'm very hard on phones and always end up dropping them ,even with a protective case on,and the screen gets smashed. I spent a fortune over the years on flagship phones and a friend suggested looking at Xiaomi so I bought this one, €176 delivered and I'm on a €10pm SIM only plan. The spec on the phone is perfect for what I need it for. It does exactly the same as a Samsung for a fraction of the price. Just my tuppence worth!

I have the same handset, very simillair to Samsung, I got a 128GB version for £150 not had any problems with it"

I've the 128GB too...and I get at least 2 days out of a full battery charge. Despite being constantly on the phone. Great value imo.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't typically need the odd microseconds that may be saved by having a faster processor, that some of them have. And I don't care about a materialistic outlook, I just don't want to be like that. I prefer to invest more widely, getting the features I want and not needing the top brand as a comfort blanket.

I'm interested in getting updates to what I use, so that's a key factor I assess as these can keep you more secure for longer and possibly give new features.

I set my budget and research around that. I've been sim only for years and moved between networks at whim.

over a year ago

A nicker for a fone now is standard id say

Depends what u want tho

Nothin wrong with a little burner

By *ich HardMan
over a year ago

Saffron Walden

Xiaomi Mi 9 .. bloody awesome!

top spec, great camera, looks the tits, job done.. oh and save yourself £750

By *artinbobMan
over a year ago

Leicester

I’m just upgrading from iPhone XR to iPhone 11 Pro. I’ve always upgrade regularly my XR is only 15 months old but I was offered a great early upgrade deal so I took it. The 11 pro will be delivered today I’ve had iPhones for last 6 yrs. Samsung for 4 yrs before that. And iPhone before that. Since my very first mobile in the mid 90s I’ve always gone for the newest models

By *illyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I think phones have reached a peak.

Years ago a new phone meant it came with a camera or a camera that took decent pics. Or played music. It was worth the upgrade.

Now they all do the same thing . All have brilliant camera and all play music and access internet etc.

It's just personal preference as to which one looks and feels nice to you.

I have an s10 doesn't really do anything my s5 7 8 or 9 didn't do .

My mate has chinese phone that does everything mine does .

over a year ago

I have been using iPhone for the past 12+ years. They last for a year plus normally. It's all depends on your requirement.

By *arkinberksMan
over a year ago

Ascot

Is an expensive phone worth the money? It depends on what you use it for. My work phone is an iPhone 11. It is my office in my pocket. I use it for emails, access to company docs, calls etc. Yes, I could have used a cheaper phone but it wouldn’t have had the same processing power. I can do 90% of the things that I would normally use a pc for. If I only needed to make calls and send text messages, the old Nokia 3310 was fine and had a far better battery life

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I always get the 2nd most recent version. So say the Samsung S10 came out then I'd get the S9 as there's generally not much difference between 1 version. And as soon as the new one comes out the price of the older one drops a fair bit.

You get a phone that started at £1000 for probably 600. And to me that saving is worth it.

over a year ago

"Is an expensive phone worth the money? It depends on what you use it for. My work phone is an iPhone 11. It is my office in my pocket. I use it for emails, access to company docs, calls etc. Yes, I could have used a cheaper phone but it wouldn’t have had the same processing power. I can do 90% of the things that I would normally use a pc for. If I only needed to make calls and send text messages, the old Nokia 3310 was fine and had a far better battery life "

Yes, also got the 11 pro, I can take photos within seconds that rival those of a DSLR.

The main problem I have with my phone vs my DSLR is the fact lenses are so expensive, so I use third party lenses that don’t work with the cameras automatic settings, having to use manual takes time. My phone eliminates that problem now.

I can take much better photos with my camera, but it’s the speed and quality that the phone can produce.

over a year ago

I got at £60 honor phone from sainsburys. £15 sim only plan with unlimited data. Use my phone Internet on my firestick which I installed apps on to watch netflix, movies, sky sports, sky movies.

My monthly media entertainment is £15 for everything.

over a year ago

Interesting information

over a year ago

£200-400 very good performance/feature for money

£400-600 still good performance/feature for money

£600-800 diminishing performance/feature for money

£800+ you're just giving your money away for free.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I used to get the galaxy flagships. They were great phones and most importantly to me, great cameras.

I then didn't want to spending £40 a month on a phone so went SIM only and started buying phones outright. Got an honor and for the most part it was great, just something I didn't like a out the camera, wasn't as good as the galaxy.

So I then switched to the pixel 3a, the cheaper pixel but still had the same flagship camera, and can't fault it.

over a year ago

"I used to get the galaxy flagships. They were great phones and most importantly to me, great cameras.

I then didn't want to spending £40 a month on a phone so went SIM only and started buying phones outright. Got an honor and for the most part it was great, just something I didn't like a out the camera, wasn't as good as the galaxy.

So I then switched to the pixel 3a, the cheaper pixel but still had the same flagship camera, and can't fault it. "

I wanted to buy a pixel for so long but Google manages to fuck them up every year somehow, fingers crossed for 4a.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Oh and I quite like that it's plastic too, as my last glass enclosed galaxy cracked at the back.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I used to get the galaxy flagships. They were great phones and most importantly to me, great cameras.

So I then switched to the pixel 3a, the cheaper pixel but still had the same flagship camera, and can't fault it.

I wanted to buy a pixel for so long but Google manages to fuck them up every year somehow, fingers crossed for 4a."

Does everything I want it to. 4a will most likely be excellent.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I'm due an upgrade now but not willing to pay £65 a month for the latest phone when my S9+ is still perfectly fine and doesn't even have a mark on it. It's nice to get new things and I appreciate current generation phones are remarkable pieces of technology, but the asking price either to buy outright or on contract is getting crazy.

over a year ago

I wanted to buy a pixel for so long but Google manages to fuck them up every year somehow, fingers crossed for 4a.

Does everything I want it to. 4a will most likely be excellent. "

I doubt it, they fucked up pixel 4 by having a tiny battery and still big bezels. Even they know the phone isn't worth its release price because it has been on sale 3 months after it came out.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

So I then switched to the pixel 3a, the cheaper pixel but still had the same flagship camera, and can't fault it. "

How does it compare on lens and sensor to Galaxy, Huwaei and Apple ? The latest Galaxy beats my tiny RX100 Mk4 1 inch sensor hands down

over a year ago

How does it compare on lens and sensor to Galaxy, Huwaei and Apple ? The latest Galaxy beats my tiny RX100 Mk4 1 inch sensor hands down"

Camera picture king is Pixel

Video is Apple

over a year ago

I i cheap out a lot when it comes to phones. I havent gotten a premium for years. I het busget smartphones like the Huawei P lite series. A phone like that for £250 can hold up well in terms of performance compared to these premium phones

Post new Message to Thread