Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Help with training

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Need some help with my training

Getting used to the pain but the boring part of cycling for hours or running for ages.

I use music for long runs and have a tv for the long rides of the turbo.

What are your tips or tricks for helping you get through these long sessions to take your mind of the pain and hopefully make time go a little quicker

Marty

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Need some help with my training

Getting used to the pain but the boring part of cycling for hours or running for ages.

I use music for long runs and have a tv for the long rides of the turbo.

What are your tips or tricks for helping you get through these long sessions to take your mind of the pain and hopefully make time go a little quicker

Marty "

Thinking about the end goal, break the sessions down mentally in to quarters so that each quarter is ticked off. Variation of the sessions is key faster/slower etc

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Been a long while, but if on a regular route I always used to break it into much smaller chunks to gauge performance or allow a back-off moment - even within a single hill or straight. Look less at the numbers and read how it feels. Being in the moment meant boredom wasnt an issue. I always found having a destination helped - a view, a building worth seeing or, ideally, a person.

over a year ago

On the running front I presume you re running road or regularly used trails that only require you pick your feet up. Try going off road, move onto rough trail running where the mind has to focus every second on the surface you are running over and how you are running it. I find open tracks and road running boring to be honest , was a mountain ultra runner so absolute focus all the time..one second adrift to navigate cost me a tendon in my shoulder..i know thats not selling it too well but what I m suggesting, and your cycling could be the same is train on multi surface not necessarily dodgy just different..even deep mud can put you hilariously on your ass.

I ve never run with music playing but when the pain hits and the wall confronts me I sing loudly to myself..it focusses my brain on remembering the words. Equally when going uphill look at the ground you re running not at the top. My uphills in the mountains are normally where I d drop to what we called tabbing..its a long stride fast pace but not running and it uses a different set of muscles to running but it also would be my time to get fluids or food down me without stopping.

Enjoy

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Use a podcast or audiobook instead of music.

It’s easy to zone out of music so the boredom or fucking agony comes back. An audiobook means you need to concentrate on that entirely

over a year ago

"On the running front I presume you re running road or regularly used trails that only require you pick your feet up. Try going off road, move onto rough trail running where the mind has to focus every second on the surface you are running over and how you are running it. I find open tracks and road running boring to be honest , was a mountain ultra runner so absolute focus all the time..one second adrift to navigate cost me a tendon in my shoulder..i know thats not selling it too well but what I m suggesting, and your cycling could be the same is train on multi surface not necessarily dodgy just different..even deep mud can put you hilariously on your ass.

I ve never run with music playing but when the pain hits and the wall confronts me I sing loudly to myself..it focusses my brain on remembering the words. Equally when going uphill look at the ground you re running not at the top. My uphills in the mountains are normally where I d drop to what we called tabbing..its a long stride fast pace but not running and it uses a different set of muscles to running but it also would be my time to get fluids or food down me without stopping.

Enjoy "

Agree with this, reference the music, listen to what’s around you

over a year ago

If you are thinking of building endurance to keep going for long, build the distance 10% (no more) every week. Dont worry about the pace too much until you built up the mileage.

Support the run/cycle sessions in between with strength exercises.

Be aware of the movements it can easily go when focusing too much on the music.

over a year ago

Maybe run or cycle with others (if you don’t already). Appreciate many don’t like to, but I find it really helps me along if I’m struggling.

over a year ago

Thanks for the advice

This is purely for the long sessions as i do ftp aerobic and anaerobic sessions weekly but once a month its normally a 3 or 4 hour ride at IM pace (170watts) slow and boring

Same with the runs 7mph, have thought about audio books etc and i can listen to what's around me have afershock head phones so i can hear cars ect as i run.

Also like the idea of singing but might piss off anyone around me as tone deaf doesn't go half way to how bad my singing is lol for now i have found when the pain really hits on the bike anyway a good shout - scream lets out the tension and then just get back to it.

Marty

By *Wman15Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Surely in this weather you want to be on your bike riding outside and not on the TT

I used a TT for a bit but found them to be deadly dull

Instead I switch between off-road (not great weather) and road (better weather)

over a year ago

"Thanks for the advice

This is purely for the long sessions as i do ftp aerobic and anaerobic sessions weekly but once a month its normally a 3 or 4 hour ride at IM pace (170watts) slow and boring

Same with the runs 7mph, have thought about audio books etc and i can listen to what's around me have afershock head phones so i can hear cars ect as i run.

Also like the idea of singing but might piss off anyone around me as tone deaf doesn't go half way to how bad my singing is lol for now i have found when the pain really hits on the bike anyway a good shout - scream lets out the tension and then just get back to it.

Marty "

Are you training for an Ironman OP?

over a year ago

"Thanks for the advice

Marty

Are you training for an Ironman OP? "

Yep

Switzerland next year

I know i am crazy but really want my M-Dot tattoo and the free banana of course lol

over a year ago

"Surely in this weather you want to be on your bike riding outside and not on the TT

I used a TT for a bit but found them to be deadly dull

Instead I switch between off-road (not great weather) and road (better weather)"

On road is ok but doesn't give you the same bang for you buck as a TT i know what your saying they are very very very boring but hopefully worth it for my race. 1 hour TT is meant to be the same as 1 1/2 on the road no coasting no other traffic no stops etc etc

I do still get out on the road and prefer it even more so in this nice weather

over a year ago

My scales told me I was obese since then when I'm starting to flag I think about those bastard scales and that does the trick

over a year ago

Hope you don t mind me saying but I found indoor training did not give the right training forca tough outdoor event. I ran the fan dance which is SAS physical selection in the mountains and it was categorically stated on no account would they accept gym or road trained people on their mountain because though very fit that fitness did not take into account terrain and weather..this is not a criticism or similar..mean it in best way and from my personal experience as someone that ran endurance events carrying weight in the mountains..no offence to anyone.

over a year ago

"Hope you don t mind me saying but I found indoor training did not give the right training forca tough outdoor event. I ran the fan dance which is SAS physical selection in the mountains and it was categorically stated on no account would they accept gym or road trained people on their mountain because though very fit that fitness did not take into account terrain and weather..this is not a criticism or similar..mean it in best way and from my personal experience as someone that ran endurance events carrying weight in the mountains..no offence to anyone. "

No offence taken everyone has there own opinion and ways of doing things.

But from my point of view the current Ironman champion who completed the course in just under 8 hours does 95 percent of his training indoors.

Also mid July in Switzerland is not quite the same as cold rainy day in the Brecon Beacons, i have done the fan dance as well...... although mine was walking with a friend i was working with and a guy guessing sas in training ran past us with a back pack and by the time we got to the top he was on his way back the other way

By *artinbobMan
over a year ago

Leicester

On the turbo use something like zwift that way you can use group rides or races to challenge yourself against others. There’s also lots of pro riders using it at the moment so you can interact with them via social media and get more tips on training

over a year ago

I havnt trained for an IM but did alot of training for half IMs. I found that the long runs and cycling's boring as hell but like was said before break them up into smaller chunks. Found that if I had numbers to concentrate on (from HRM or bike computer) during training it helped as well

I think part of the challenge of long distance endurance is definitely the mental strength to actually keep going. I initially when trying to get to the run and cycle distances I would listen to music but once I was there I stopped listen and did them without it. Found it easier at that stage to deal with the boredom and found it helped on race day remain focused.

Good luck in your training and I'm sure you'll smash the course

over a year ago

"Hope you don t mind me saying but I found indoor training did not give the right training forca tough outdoor event. I ran the fan dance which is SAS physical selection in the mountains and it was categorically stated on no account would they accept gym or road trained people on their mountain because though very fit that fitness did not take into account terrain and weather..this is not a criticism or similar..mean it in best way and from my personal experience as someone that ran endurance events carrying weight in the mountains..no offence to anyone.

No offence taken everyone has there own opinion and ways of doing things.

But from my point of view the current Ironman champion who completed the course in just under 8 hours does 95 percent of his training indoors.

Also mid July in Switzerland is not quite the same as cold rainy day in the Brecon Beacons, i have done the fan dance as well...... although mine was walking with a friend i was working with and a guy guessing sas in training ran past us with a back pack and by the time we got to the top he was on his way back the other way

"

Hahaha...I did it in June....the staff got washed out of their bivis, it was blowing force 6 and for a brief few moments sleet fell. I did ok..carried 40lbs..completed around 3 hours.....oh and broke a shoulder tendon..so no more running with rucksacks..ah well 52 was a good time to retire I guess. Good luck with your training.

over a year ago

"I havnt trained for an IM but did alot of training for half IMs. I found that the long runs and cycling's boring as hell but like was said before break them up into smaller chunks. Found that if I had numbers to concentrate on (from HRM or bike computer) during training it helped as well

I think part of the challenge of long distance endurance is definitely the mental strength to actually keep going. I initially when trying to get to the run and cycle distances I would listen to music but once I was there I stopped listen and did them without it. Found it easier at that stage to deal with the boredom and found it helped on race day remain focused.

Good luck in your training and I'm sure you'll smash the course"

I agree after doing a lot of research the mental side is half the battle.

70.3 is still a long way, not sure i will smash it just be happy to get a decent time anything under 13 hrs and i will be over the moon.

Big motivation is being able to wear a t-shirt to the gym

My trainer runs marathons so have already found

Ohh you run marathons that's cute

Now go ask mommy when you can finish the rest of the race "swim bike run"

Or

Marathon ...... that's what i call a warm down

I know it's childish but on the long sessions puts a smile on my face thinking of her face as i walk in the gym

over a year ago

I have used the same comment for some people at work who go on about this marathon or that msrathon. Love the look on there face

The most important thing is to enjoy the day and the atmosphere. I remember the buzz at the finish line it was unreal and worth all of the pain

Post new Message to Thread