Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Technology that stagnates

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Which type of technology in your opinion is dragging way behind others?

Whether this is due to lack of competition or lack of development.

My grime is with mountain bikes and the obscene cost of some parts, such as wireless shifting and dropper posts. A technology that has been with us for years.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

My Fucking Broadband lately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Planes particularly passenger ones

Concorde should have been the start of supersonic travel but it never went that way

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Frankly I think things have been a bit slack the last 10 years. I can’t remember my last “wow” Technology moment.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Which type of technology in your opinion is dragging way behind others?

Whether this is due to lack of competition or lack of development.

My grime is with mountain bikes and the obscene cost of some parts, such as wireless shifting and dropper posts. A technology that has been with us for years."

Cycling technology booms and dies, look up softride bikes. Brilliant bit of kit, but banned by the UCI.

over a year ago

"Planes particularly passenger ones

Concorde should have been the start of supersonic travel but it never went that way "

Concorde was never really viable. The time saving wasn't worth the extra cost for the passengers, and the fuel expenditure was extortionate.

over a year ago

Concorde should have been the start of supersonic travel but it never went that way

Concorde was never really viable. The time saving wasn't worth the extra cost for the passengers, and the fuel expenditure was extortionate."

Definitely but no one took that start and pushed on to make it more viable. It shouldn’t take 8 hours to get to the US this long after supersonic flight was possible in a passenger aircraft

over a year ago

"Frankly I think things have been a bit slack the last 10 years. I can’t remember my last “wow” Technology moment. "

I think SpaceX and Tesla would disagree

Same goes for cpu technology, the competition has made one giant worried and start to push out products faster to stay in the business

The advancement in mobile phones, would argue too

over a year ago

"Frankly I think things have been a bit slack the last 10 years. I can’t remember my last “wow” Technology moment.

Same goes for cpu technology, the competition has made one giant worried and start to push out products faster to stay in the business

The advancement in mobile phones, would argue too "

Yeah but with regards to the speed of computing they don’t really do anything more. Same with phones, faster, better camera etc but nothing particular that when one is released I think I must have it. Things just tend to get a little better rather than a whole new idea and gadget.

over a year ago

"Frankly I think things have been a bit slack the last 10 years. I can’t remember my last “wow” Technology moment.

Yeah but with regards to the speed of computing they don’t really do anything more. Same with phones, faster, better camera etc but nothing particular that when one is released I think I must have it. Things just tend to get a little better rather than a whole new idea and gadget. "

But the advancement is there, phones with lidars, waterproof, astrophotography, ultrasonic sensors, underdisplay cameras etc.

Compare it to ICE's where they pretty much were stagnant for decades, without any real innovation.

over a year ago

The cars are still not flying.

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

Yeah but with regards to the speed of computing they don’t really do anything more. Same with phones, faster, better camera etc but nothing particular that when one is released I think I must have it. Things just tend to get a little better rather than a whole new idea and gadget.

But the advancement is there, phones with lidars, waterproof, astrophotography, ultrasonic sensors, underdisplay cameras etc.

Compare it to ICE's where they pretty much were stagnant for decades, without any real innovation."

Most inventions come about because someone has identified a need, rather than come up with a brilliant implementation. In other words a lot of gadgets for specific purposes are not objectively well engineered, the innovation was in identifying a requirement for that gadget.

over a year ago

Concorde was never really viable. The time saving wasn't worth the extra cost for the passengers, and the fuel expenditure was extortionate.

Definitely but no one took that start and pushed on to make it more viable. It shouldn’t take 8 hours to get to the US this long after supersonic flight was possible in a passenger aircraft"

There are fundamental issues with supersonic flight that haven't been addressed. You simply can't use the more efficient turbofan engines modern airlines have at supersonic speeds, and turbojets (especially ones that use afterburners) are far less fuel efficient. That drives the cost up. Add to that the aerodynamic requirements on the airframe and you inevitably get a low-capacity, high-cost and not very comfortable aircraft. For most passengers, even those with the money to fly supersonic, the few hours saved just aren't worth the extra cost and reduced comfort. Anyone who could afford Concorde could afford first class on a 747 - why spend three hours wedged into a cramped seat in a skinny metal tube (I've been inside two Concordes, they're TINY on the inside), when for less money you can spend eight hours in a big, comfortable chair being waited on hand and foot? Flying Concorde was only ever for people with incredibly tight schedules, people wanting the experience of supersonic flight or (and this was the majority) people showing off their wealth. Flyong Concorde was like having a Rolex or a supercar, it was primarily conspicuous consumption.

Post new Message to Thread