Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What is the unwritten contract between

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Fuck buddy and friends with benefits, and, fwb and a girl-boyfriend relationship?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

I just want to know if there's a general consensus, or if perspectives differ with the (binary) genders.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

'Let's fuck but don't touch my stuff.'

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"'Let's fuck but don't touch my stuff.'

"

Universal ^

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You arent in my last will.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I suspect there'll be a more or less binary gendered divide on broad expectations (although it'd be fascinating to what extent queer including trans/ non binary people fit in). But that each arrangement would work out differently in practice

over a year ago

My thoughts: a fuck buddy is someone you just scratch a sexual itch with more than once.

FWB is a friendship that incudes sex - FBs may develop to FWBs but there's no commitment.

over a year ago

"Fuck buddy and friends with benefits, and, fwb and a girl-boyfriend relationship? "

My interpretation is as follows

I’m a FWB person. To me that’s sex plus more. friendship, fun, weekends away, chatting a lot etc but not mixing with “normal life” (exclusive or not) Fuck buddy to me just means meet for sex and that’s it, not for me. Boyfriend and girlfriend means a proper relationship, exclusive (unless otherwise agreed) Again, not for me

over a year ago

Partner - Have to put up with my shit

FWB - Choose to put up with my shit and I don't have to wash their socks

over a year ago

I think there's less divide between FWB and a romantic relationship as both are relationships, and exclusivity can be agreed upon. In others words, one might expect Fwbs not to be exclusive but is so in a romantic relationship. However as is seen in the swinging community, relationships aren't exclusive regarding sex, but may have criteria attached.

In relationships we can make the rules up as we go along.

over a year ago

Too confusing!

over a year ago

"Fuck buddy and friends with benefits, and, fwb and a girl-boyfriend relationship? "

Inse it like this.

Fwb. Actual friends who if the desire takes, fuck.

Fuck buddies. People who meet up simply for sex.

Girl-boyfriend a couple where other people recognise and respect their relationship as a couple, though not married. The potential for marriage is there.

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

FWB....you can play with my cat

FB....my cat is out of bounds, you touch me only

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

This is why I find it so much easier not to be too worried about labelling things. As long as whatever the arrangement is makes everyone happy it's all good

over a year ago

"Too confusing! "

It's simply asking how you would define these labels.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Too confusing!

It's simply asking how you would define these labels. "

I guess, in a very rare act of seriousness... I would never use those labels. Everyone's different and would have preconceptions of said labels.

I just figure it out as the human comes along, I guess?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The word "relationship" means something different now than it used to. To me if you know someone you have a relationship with them but in Facebook terms if you're "in a relationship" it means romantically exclusive.

So to me fuck buddies are people who have sex with each other, aren't exclusive and wouldn't invite each other to their birthday drinks.

Friends with benefits as above but might consider birthday drinks and might exchange cards.

Boyfriend/girlfriend as above but would definitely attend birthday drinks and exchange cards and presents. If not exclusive the terms of that would be negotiated.

I've said before that the first two wouldn't be options for me if I was single.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Until recently I was in an amazing two and a half year FWBs relationship with a lady on here. She did her own thing and I did mine in the time between seeing each other.

We were as honest with each other as we could be. We would anonymise names and the exact details of who else we were seeing but we would have an outline of what the other was doing.

I met her family a few times and she’d met my daughter and most of my friends. When we got together about every fourth weekend we were close like any other couple. We did a lot of talking about our feelings.

We did some amazing things together over two and a half years. Some naughty and some nice. I’d say the split was 75% nice and 15% naughty.

When it’s good it can be very good. You need lots of talking and honesty to make it work.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Going with what I have read above I think we went from FWBs to an open relationship. Too much water under the bridge to say it was still FWBs. It certainly started like that.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"This is why I find it so much easier not to be too worried about labelling things. As long as whatever the arrangement is makes everyone happy it's all good "

I think labels help as long as they're helpful. Take it, leave it, and respect other people's.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"This is why I find it so much easier not to be too worried about labelling things. As long as whatever the arrangement is makes everyone happy it's all good "

Very much this

over a year ago

"Too confusing!

I guess, in a very rare act of seriousness... I would never use those labels. Everyone's different and would have preconceptions of said labels.

I just figure it out as the human comes along, I guess?"

It's good to know another's thoughts to see if they align.

over a year ago

"Until recently I was in an amazing two and a half year FWBs relationship with a lady on here. She did her own thing and I did mine in the time between seeing each other.

We were as honest with each other as we could be. We would anonymise names and the exact details of who else we were seeing but we would have an outline of what the other was doing.

I met her family a few times and she’d met my daughter and most of my friends. When we got together about every fourth weekend we were close like any other couple. We did a lot of talking about our feelings.

We did some amazing things together over two and a half years. Some naughty and some nice. I’d say the split was 75% nice and 15% naughty.

When it’s good it can be very good. You need lots of talking and honesty to make it work. "

Honesty, yes!

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I don't think you can have a set definition for any kind of human relationship, be that FWB, marriage, or even parent/child. It all boils down to the people involved and what they want from the relationship. Honest communication is important.

Personally, I don't like to use labels for such things.

over a year ago

Once you start putting labels on to things, that’s when everything becomes challenging.

But, I’ll say that I’m someone who prefers the former. That’s just my nature I suppose. I can’t just fuck and go (fuck buddy definition I think). I like to have a cup of tea after and spend a bit of time together.

I always tend to think fuck buddy meets are short and quick - I like taking the time (mood depending) and a weekend away.

over a year ago

I think labels are useful when there is a consensus on what they mean like Strawberry Jam. If I pick up a jar of Strawberry Jam I’m pretty sure I’m not getting Raspberries in it and would have a right to complain if I did. However the more that definition depends on increasing degrees of subjectivity the problematic it becomes. Anything we label that has multiple possible interpretations means we have to take care in the use of the terms. I prefer just to agree with the people involved what our personal and collective psychological and social contracts are. I don’t mean in a formal sense but I do mean exploring assumptions and boundaries and clarity by what each means by them. I’ve come unstuck in the past by making assumptions and taking things on trust.

over a year ago

Fuck Buddy- someone you regularly meet for sexual pleasure only, no commitment at all.

FWB - Spend time together, engage in conversations about things other than sex and also have Sexual pleasure, still no commitment but sometimes exclusive.

GF/BF- All of above with commitment and loyalties to each other, mostly exclusive.

Marriage - you’re screwed!!!

over a year ago

Its called a Parley.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"I don't think you can have a set definition for any kind of human relationship, be that FWB, marriage, or even parent/child. It all boils down to the people involved and what they want from the relationship. Honest communication is important.

Personally, I don't like to use labels for such things. "

About sums it up for me

In the context of people I meet from Fab they are all people I want to spend time with away from the bedroom, and get to know in that respect, people I can laugh and talk easily with, who I genuinely care about and have an affection for (thanks Chill for that one) without having a commitment to them beyond showing each other trust, respect and courtesy. If they happen to be meeting other people to, or I am, then it is none of my/their business so long it doesn't impact me/them.

It doesn't need a label for me - all that matters is that we're both/all happy.

over a year ago

"Too confusing!

I just figure it out as the human comes along, I guess?"

Post new Message to Thread