FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wetherspoons plan to open pubs sounds do-able :)

Jump to newest

By *ANILLA.IS.FOR.ICE.CREAM OP   Man
over a year ago

Salisbury

Wetherspoons plan to open pubs sounds do-able discuss

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Never stepping foot in one again

over a year ago

Salisbury

The owner is on about wrist bands to say you've tested negative and check temperature on entry? Might work, probably too risky?

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

I would assume that busy pubs will be among the last businesses permitted to open. Lest we forget, currently pubs aren't permitted to trade.

over a year ago

Salisbury

True

over a year ago

I'm hoping that he can't get staff. The way they were treated was disgusting!

over a year ago

I don't know when the right time is but at some point life must return back to normal, surely?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Never stepping foot in one again"

By *akbearMan
over a year ago

Newbury

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Far too early to be thinking pubs can open, just because you've tested negative, no symptoms doesn't mean that you aren't a carrier.

over a year ago

The government won’t let them open Dw ahah

By *ong legs n LingeireWoman
over a year ago

it up to me neck. :-)

"Wetherspoons plan to open pubs sounds do-able discuss"

Not a chance. Idiots!!!

over a year ago

Salisbury

Pipe dream to keep his business alive probably

over a year ago

Too soon

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Stupid idea. What if someone has the virus? They've already gone to the pub now and spread it possibly.

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Also this: These tests are not entirely reliable. “One or more negative results do not rule out the possibility of covid-19 virus infection,” says the WHO guidance on lab testing.

This can be due to technical problems, such as not keeping samples refrigerated, but it also has to do with the nature of viral infections. Someone who has only just been infected may not yet be shedding the virus into the throat, while someone at a late stage may have stopped doing so, while still having an active infection in other parts of the body.

over a year ago

Spoons is a hole.

Well near me it's rancid..

Tbh don't think covid would survive in my local spoons

over a year ago

Salisbury

Pmsl

By *un guy 2020Man
over a year ago

near you

There boss paid of all staff when pubs got closed instead of getting government scheme to pay them so there pubs can fuck of

over a year ago

"The owner is on about wrist bands to say you've tested negative and check temperature on entry? Might work, probably too risky? "

Heres a scenario. Its a hot day. Im hot & clammy but also have hayfever & start sneezing.will i be allowed in? Will the pub hire qualified doctors to patrol the doors as a bouncer?

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

Worst pubs ever

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

The York one is shite, it can stay closed for me! All bar staff are students who blatantly ignore you standing there for half an hour while they keep serving their mates either side of you

By *ip2Man
over a year ago

Near Maidenhead

No because of the shameful and disgraceful slander of the European Union in the so-called Wetherspoon News magazine.

The accounts of the European Union have always been audited - since the first report for the financial year 1977-1978.

It was done by the EU's independent auditor. The credibility of the Court of Auditors depends on its independence.

The first report is still there online. The reports have not always been favourable. Things were found that were wrong and had to be put right. True.

Audited? Yes. Always been audited. Signed-off first time every year since 2007.

To say that the accounts are "un-audited" is a slander that is just off the charts. Where is the right of reply of the European Commission? When has Wetherspoon News invited the Commission to comment and printed their reply?

It is so unfair and so unreasonable and so utterly wrong, wrong, wrong and I will never ever go in one of those pubs ever again until they apologise for their unfair treatment of the European Union.

over a year ago

The Leeds train station one is always rammed on a Saturday afternoon Let’s see how many do go tho when this happens

By *ungscotsman26Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

For June I read. Not a chance in hell. And when they do reopen I won't be going back. Owner is scum.

over a year ago

"There boss paid of all staff when pubs got closed instead of getting government scheme to pay them so there pubs can fuck of "

staff are getting paid through gov furlough scheme

By *arbellsWoman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Wetherspoons is the worst pub ever. The one in Cambridge is quite big but it also stinks of dirty carpet and smelly feet. No thankyou!

over a year ago

It’s not going to happen in the next few weeks that for sure as He can’t just do as he pleases. It’s a difficult subject many people saying they won’t drink there again. But fact is the company to work for are actually not that bad, I know what it’s been said he has done but I’m not sure how true it all is. I worked for them years ago, good pay, great training and discounts. I feel sorry for the staff that do go back and have no customers to serve as people choosing to not drink there. I personally will be supporting my local spoons as the staff are the ones who make it. X

over a year ago

Plenty of people won’t go ..but I bet they’re still packed out when allowed

By *un guy 2020Man
over a year ago

near you

Hopefully no one but people will likely pack it out and give the greedy rat money

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

If you drink Lager at 08.30 in the morning then don’t suppose you care about Covid

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Every time I go in one it's packed so I'm not sure who's going there as its no one on fab.

If he carries on with the same model of business as before I'm sure Wetherspoons will be busier than ever. After this, not many people will be able to eat elsewhere.

over a year ago

"It’s not going to happen in the next few weeks that for sure as He can’t just do as he pleases. It’s a difficult subject many people saying they won’t drink there again. But fact is the company to work for are actually not that bad, I know what it’s been said he has done but I’m not sure how true it all is. I worked for them years ago, good pay, great training and discounts. I feel sorry for the staff that do go back and have no customers to serve as people choosing to not drink there. I personally will be supporting my local spoons as the staff are the ones who make it. X"

Everyone has their own opinions ...... and I’ll be supporting my local spoons when they reopen, always a great selection of real ales, well kept and a great pub.........I’ll support the staff they employ with my custom. In regard to the media and what they report, I’d not believe everything they say, Tim Wetherspoon along with many other business up and down the country have to make very difficult decisions........ with facts we’re not party too, to come to conclusions on those decisions without being involved in the process is just wrong, and as a footnote to that.........I’m guessing those who say they won’t drink in Wetherspoons anymore, will equally not fly with BA or Virgin? Just a thought

over a year ago

"It’s not going to happen in the next few weeks that for sure as He can’t just do as he pleases. It’s a difficult subject many people saying they won’t drink there again. But fact is the company to work for are actually not that bad, I know what it’s been said he has done but I’m not sure how true it all is. I worked for them years ago, good pay, great training and discounts. I feel sorry for the staff that do go back and have no customers to serve as people choosing to not drink there. I personally will be supporting my local spoons as the staff are the ones who make it. X

Everyone has their own opinions ...... and I’ll be supporting my local spoons when they reopen, always a great selection of real ales, well kept and a great pub.........I’ll support the staff they employ with my custom. In regard to the media and what they report, I’d not believe everything they say, Tim Wetherspoon along with many other business up and down the country have to make very difficult decisions........ with facts we’re not party too, to come to conclusions on those decisions without being involved in the process is just wrong, and as a footnote to that.........I’m guessing those who say they won’t drink in Wetherspoons anymore, will equally not fly with BA or Virgin? Just a thought"

Exactly! You said it better than me!!

over a year ago

Salisbury

"It’s not going to happen in the next few weeks that for sure as He can’t just do as he pleases. It’s a difficult subject many people saying they won’t drink there again. But fact is the company to work for are actually not that bad, I know what it’s been said he has done but I’m not sure how true it all is. I worked for them years ago, good pay, great training and discounts. I feel sorry for the staff that do go back and have no customers to serve as people choosing to not drink there. I personally will be supporting my local spoons as the staff are the ones who make it. X

Everyone has their own opinions ...... and I’ll be supporting my local spoons when they reopen, always a great selection of real ales, well kept and a great pub.........I’ll support the staff they employ with my custom. In regard to the media and what they report, I’d not believe everything they say, Tim Wetherspoon along with many other business up and down the country have to make very difficult decisions........ with facts we’re not party too, to come to conclusions on those decisions without being involved in the process is just wrong, and as a footnote to that.........I’m guessing those who say they won’t drink in Wetherspoons anymore, will equally not fly with BA or Virgin? Just a thought"

over a year ago

"Wetherspoons is the worst pub ever. The one in Cambridge is quite big but it also stinks of dirty carpet and smelly feet. No thankyou! "

Seems standard flooring..must Use same rancid carpet throughout.. Be a brand thing..

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No I won't. Or go to Sports Direct or House of Fraser.

By *abrielle247Couple (FF)
over a year ago

PDI Gran Canaria

Usually full of idiots, so I guess that's not going to change anytime soon.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

There is a nagging question in the back of my my mind, wonder if the restaurants and bars in Whitehall are closed.

over a year ago

"There is a nagging question in the back of my my mind, wonder if the restaurants and bars in Whitehall are closed."

Apparently the bar in the House of Commons hasn’t shut

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

People seem to forget that Weatherspoons is a major direct and indirect employer. The longer it remains closed the less viable as a business it becomes. Of course the owner will be coming up with all manner of plans to reopen ASAP. What's alternative has he? Things certainly can't remain as they are for much longer otherwise you will have complete economic collapse and major civil disorder.

over a year ago

"People seem to forget that Weatherspoons is a major direct and indirect employer. The longer it remains closed the less viable as a business it becomes. Of course the owner will be coming up with all manner of plans to reopen ASAP. What's alternative has he? Things certainly can't remain as they are for much longer otherwise you will have complete economic collapse and major civil disorder."

Yes ..... exactly, supply chain jobs and the knock on effects

over a year ago

Salisbury

"People seem to forget that Weatherspoons is a major direct and indirect employer. The longer it remains closed the less viable as a business it becomes. Of course the owner will be coming up with all manner of plans to reopen ASAP. What's alternative has he? Things certainly can't remain as they are for much longer otherwise you will have complete economic collapse and major civil disorder.

Yes ..... exactly, supply chain jobs and the knock on effects "

I know someone who works at a Wetherspoons and saying "I'll never go there again" is basically saying I don't care if the staff lose their jobs, just want to fuck over the rich owner

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

No

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"There is a nagging question in the back of my my mind, wonder if the restaurants and bars in Whitehall are closed.

Apparently the bar in the House of Commons hasn’t shut "

Which bar?

By *etsdancenowMan
over a year ago

brighton

The owner has treated his staff discussing. Horrible man. Never set foot in one

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

As to what's possible, who knows. I'm not sure at this stage tests are reliable enough, we know enough about asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic transmission to know that fever checks aren't enough, we don't know enough about lasting immunity to this particular virus.

I personally will not be going to any pub any time soon, even if they're allowed to open.

over a year ago

"People seem to forget that Weatherspoons is a major direct and indirect employer. The longer it remains closed the less viable as a business it becomes. Of course the owner will be coming up with all manner of plans to reopen ASAP. What's alternative has he? Things certainly can't remain as they are for much longer otherwise you will have complete economic collapse and major civil disorder.

I know someone who works at a Wetherspoons and saying "I'll never go there again" is basically saying I don't care if the staff lose their jobs, just want to fuck over the rich owner"

I work behind a bar as a second job but more for the enjoyment. This type of business has taken a massive hit and will take months to repair and recoup pubs do obviously run at a profit but there is not a huge amount on booze. (Hence why most sell food) staff that work in pubs are genuine people that work hard long shifts and deserve are support xx

over a year ago

Do-able? Is the government lifting restrictions?

over a year ago

Salisbury

I know someone who works at a Wetherspoons and saying "I'll never go there again" is basically saying I don't care if the staff lose their jobs, just want to fuck over the rich owner

I work behind a bar as a second job but more for the enjoyment. This type of business has taken a massive hit and will take months to repair and recoup pubs do obviously run at a profit but there is not a huge amount on booze. (Hence why most sell food) staff that work in pubs are genuine people that work hard long shifts and deserve are support xx "

over a year ago

Salisbury

"Do-able? Is the government lifting restrictions? "

Quoting the news report!

By *sm265Woman
over a year ago

Shangri-la

The fact is that until the government lift the restrictions, no matter what he wants to do, he won't be able to just reopen.

over a year ago

"Do-able? Is the government lifting restrictions?

Quoting the news report!"

Well whenever it happens it will always be busy because where else can you buy a pint for two quid

By *ip2Man
over a year ago

Near Maidenhead

Wetherspoons staff campaign says please stop abusing staff to promote disgusting propaganda. And pay a living wage.

https://twitter.com/spoonsworkers?lang=en

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I'm hoping that he can't get staff. The way they were treated was disgusting!"

The only reason I've sympathy with the places, is how he treated his staff.

It's too early to be thinking of more than half a dozen people in them, including staff in a couple of months time.

He's an attention-whore, desperate for any publicity

over a year ago

over a year ago

Cant wait ill be there

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Good.luck to them, I don't see it happening though. Unless there is some loop hole allowing them to reopen on a cafe/restaurant basis.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be honest, I suspect that he will just be trying to generate some positive publicity for the chain. Currently a lot of people "claim" they will boycott the companies, but the masses soon forget and the prices will attract the punters like they always did.

Cal

By *irtyfuckercoolMan
over a year ago

upton

I know you are all saying too early BUT, people will be returning too work shortly within ia say 3 or 4 weeks be the end of lockdown. do u think then be safe too meet ? all buisnesses have a right too make a living a lot of pubs wont re open and we will lose a lot of good pubs if it drags on too long. unfortunately I believe we did too little too late with this lockdown we should have locked down as soon as we had the first couple of cases, and everything that wasn't vital we have had airports open people coming in willy nilly, chip shops, takeaways and even 1500 fruit pickers. unfortunately the damage is done we cant lockdown forever or be nothing left, so eventually I think everything will have bear it and carry on as wont go away without a vaccine.

over a year ago

"The owner is on about wrist bands to say you've tested negative and check temperature on entry? Might work, probably too risky? "

The owners a dickhead

over a year ago

I've worked for wetherspoons. Discount is good on food. Pay is crap, not allowed to take tips either. I wouldn't work there again but I would go in there to eat and drink.

over a year ago

Just pure greed putting profits before people, like others have said, there could be virus carriers out there that don’t know it yet.

over a year ago

Everyone crying it shouldn't open but you all stand in the supermarket next to each other touching everything everyone else has touched

over a year ago

"Everyone crying it shouldn't open but you all stand in the supermarket next to each other touching everything everyone else has touched "

There’s a difference between going shopping for food so you know, you can stay alive, and going for a drink/meal at spoons

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

I work behind a bar as a second job but more for the enjoyment. This type of business has taken a massive hit and will take months to repair and recoup pubs do obviously run at a profit but there is not a huge amount on booze. (Hence why most sell food) staff that work in pubs are genuine people that work hard long shifts and deserve are support xx "

I work in that trade and booze and

soft drinks av more of a profit margin than food

over a year ago

We wont be returning to spoons. Hope sonfew.people do go that he has to sell.

The way he treated his staff! Right from the off.

No thanks

over a year ago

"We wont be returning to spoons. Hope sonfew.people do go that he has to sell.

No thanks"

over a year ago

"Everyone crying it shouldn't open but you all stand in the supermarket next to each other touching everything everyone else has touched

There’s a difference between going shopping for food so you know, you can stay alive, and going for a drink/meal at spoons "

Supermarkets have a no returning food to the shelf’s rule like Morrison’s, once you’ve touched it you’ve bought it, in a pub environment people are getting pissed, bumping into each other, some people don’t care after a few pints..,, just too dangerous

over a year ago

Considering that most infected persons are either mild or asymptomatic then taking the temp wouldn't be proof they arent infectious, a test done a week or more ago would be invalid as they could become infected and thus infectious almost straight after the having the test and not be aware. It's a big risk and needs someone more qualified to undertake the risk assessment than we are..I am sure the government has virology experts doing the numbers and when the risk becomes acceptable then they will allow them.to open. It's how all risks are managed..the risk of covid infection isnt going to go away anytime soon so it will be down to what the government and other responsible parties deem acceptable.

over a year ago

And another negative, hate filled post, this whold covid-19 has brought out the nicest of people, caring and wanting to go above and beyond.

The there is the worst, the criminals, the haters that spend so much energy and thinking into defiling, incriminating and just making it up through sesationalising and thinking worst case scenarios. Thank god we will not be relying on those people to build up our country again.

All businesses had to make tough choices, yes the bigger ones have not done them selves any favours but if we boycott all of them then many many more people will lose jobs so stop and those people may be on low incomes and have families to feed its not a fair system but then it is what it is, if your not happy then become a politician and put your money where your mouth is and make a positive difference.

All this just depressing this is a site to find exciting people and have fun so let's change the mood and look for positives on life, as its hard enough.

So I will be naked all day while I am working online chatting to my collègues

By *nd-DCouple
over a year ago

portsmouth

We are all guilty of walking past our local pub to go to the nearest Wetherspoons, because it’s cheap beer / food and usually busier.

You get what you pay.

Cheap beer in a converted office / shop Building , with poor levels of cleanliness, cheap microwaveable barely warm food , 5 minute hike to the usually flooded dirty smelly toilets , and regulars who don’t look out of place on the Jeremy Kyle show.

However we will all go back in time , even the people that say they will boycott.

It’s time to support the local pubs , local corner shops , butchers , bakers ,greengrocers , farm shops and all the small independent shops now.

The big company’s can absorb the losses from the lockdown , these local businesses cannot.

Buy British after this and help get the country back on its feet , even if it costs more than from China.

over a year ago

Well we all know you can carry the virus without having a temperature..so that's dumb

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

You can be negative one minute and not the next. It’s only valid at the time you take the test.

By *allgirthyMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

Wetherspoons is soulless at the best of times let alone everyone being 2m apart. Won’t be a very nice atmosphere in pubs and restaurants for months to come so I can’t see many people bothering, though always keen to support local independents where possible.

over a year ago

just stay away until you are comfortable with the situation

over a year ago

"We are all guilty of walking past our local pub to go to the nearest Wetherspoons, because it’s cheap beer / food and usually busier.

You get what you pay.

Cheap beer in a converted office / shop Building , with poor levels of cleanliness, cheap microwaveable barely warm food , 5 minute hike to the usually flooded dirty smelly toilets , and regulars who don’t look out of place on the Jeremy Kyle show.

However we will all go back in time , even the people that say they will boycott.

It’s time to support the local pubs , local corner shops , butchers , bakers ,greengrocers , farm shops and all the small independent shops now.

The big company’s can absorb the losses from the lockdown , these local businesses cannot.

Buy British after this and help get the country back on its feet , even if it costs more than from China. "

It's great saying "Buy British / support your local corner shop" etc but the fact is you often pay a premium for doing so. Have you ever tried doing a weekly shop at your local corner shop? Shit choice and ridiculously more expensive than buying from one of the major supermarkets.

Whilst it sounds great in theory it's just not practical. Milk and bread are about the only things I'd buy from a local shop (unless there were specific offers on something) otherwise there's not a cat in hell's chance I'm paying £1.50 for a can of soup I can get for half the price (or less) from Aldi.

I'd love a good local butcher/ greengrocer/farm shop to support but the vast majority of the local population don't have access to one and there's not a chance I'm pissing my hard earned up the wall in the local Londis/Premier etc!

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"Spoons is a hole.

Well near me it's rancid..

Tbh don't think covid would survive in my local spoons"

over a year ago

"And another negative, hate filled post, this whold covid-19 has brought out the nicest of people, caring and wanting to go above and beyond.

The there is the worst, the criminals, the haters that spend so much energy and thinking into defiling, incriminating and just making it up through sesationalising and thinking worst case scenarios. Thank god we will not be relying on those people to build up our country again.

All businesses had to make tough choices, yes the bigger ones have not done them selves any favours but if we boycott all of them then many many more people will lose jobs so stop and those people may be on low incomes and have families to feed its not a fair system but then it is what it is, if your not happy then become a politician and put your money where your mouth is and make a positive difference.

All this just depressing this is a site to find exciting people and have fun so let's change the mood and look for positives on life, as its hard enough.

So I will be naked all day while I am working online chatting to my collègues "

Any chance of a job with you?

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

No thanks"

You are right that he didn't treat the staff well, but I do think that the government are more to blame than he is. They handle the beginnings of the lockdown so badly, telling people "don't go to pubs" but not closing them that the whole industry had a knee-jerk reaction. If Boris had just closed the pubs in the first place and at the same time announced the Furlough arrangements none of this would have happened.

Cal

By *ookMan
over a year ago

london

Tim Witherspoon..... noooooooooooooooooo

Say in a Harry enfIEld type voice...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No thanks

You are right that he didn't treat the staff well, but I do think that the government are more to blame than he is. They handle the beginnings of the lockdown so badly, telling people "don't go to pubs" but not closing them that the whole industry had a knee-jerk reaction. If Boris had just closed the pubs in the first place and at the same time announced the Furlough arrangements none of this would have happened.

Cal"

I don't disagree.

By *irtyfuckercoolMan
over a year ago

upton

never been a big fan of Weatherspoon's but when in town after a few decent pints locally, do go there occasionally hope all pubs open soon, no fun at the moment working away starring at four walls and crap TV. but saying that cant see meets being sanctioned either until social distancing laxed lol

By *ohnlooking4uMan
over a year ago

bath

I hope the company go bust never been a fan of them. Due to them selling cheap beer it saw a lot of good independent pubs go under.

Plus the way he’s treated his staff is disgusting.

over a year ago

"I hope the company go bust never been a fan of them. Due to them selling cheap beer it saw a lot of good independent pubs go under.

Plus the way he’s treated his staff is disgusting."

Try telling the independent pubs to lower prices the village i live you can't get a pint of beer under £3.70.

3 miles away in a wetherspoons you can get numerous beers for £1.99.

Yes spoons can buy in bulk but but the independents aren't paying top Dollar for their beer as they can shop around and to be charging nearly twice as much is overcharging

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Will be supporting local pubs not that one but sure his business will survive.

over a year ago

There have been plenty of people willing to break social distancing rules, so he knows that there is enough custom out there to make a profit. He'll get staff because people will be desperate for work, and he can screw them over with zero hour contracts.

Haven't been in a Spoons in years, the place just stinks as you walk past. Saying that though they all seem to be rammed, so his business model appeals to a lot of people.

over a year ago

Spoons is just another high profile case of an unethical business. They certainly won’t be the last. There are millions more out there. Many Business leaders really do need to reframe their purposes and stop the damage created by having such a narrow view of their purpose and a blindness to the consequences of their actions. Just as Political leaders and Public Sector leaders need to re-examine theirs. The signs are there for all of to read if we change our glasses.

Marcel Proust said the real act of discovery is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.

I hope more of us start to see with new eyes.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Fuck Wetherspoons.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When I feel it's personally safe for me to eat or drink in public again, I'll choose which businesses I want to support in doing so.

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

So he’s assuming that nobody will simply lie to get a pint?

over a year ago

Ours is really nice. Not at all smelly and scummy. I only go for the breakfasts anyway

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Wetherspoons is the last place I would choose to go when I do eventually go out again. I'd rather give my money to my local pub.

over a year ago

Won’t be until at least Christmas

By *aughtyYorkGentMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I have mixed feelings about Wetherspoons. They seem to be very variable - some keep their beer really well, others not so much. The queues can be a bit much and staff thin on the ground, but I guess that's how they keep their prices low. They have undoubtedly caused the closure of independent pubs, but their policy of taking over and refurbishing grand old buildings has saved hundreds from dereliction. Problems of "aroma" and cleanliness are at least in part down to the sheer number of people the places accommodate and the habits/cleanliness of the clientele. I don't think a boycott will help anyone, least of all the staff that everyone professes to care so much about.

Many people have commented on the doubtful reliability of testing and the fact that someone can pick up an infection straight after testing negative - all fair points. Yet the WHO has emphasised testing as being the answer right from the beginning and some of the countries that have escaped most lightly are those who have tested in large numbers. Some have even used testing instead of lockdowns, and the easing of lockdown in other nations has centred around test results held on smartphone apps. I guess IF pubs are to reopen before a vaccine is developed (presumably months and months away), it's the best option we have?

over a year ago

Just thinking of himself and his declining profits shouldn't be allowed and wor Boris should say so publicly

over a year ago

It wont happen, but if it did the police would stand at the pubs door handing fines out, that isn't essential travel, no social distancing.

I won't be going in a Wetherspoons again.

over a year ago

It's not going to happen! When you hear the government say it that's when it will be true

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Everyone has their own opinions ...... and I’ll be supporting my local spoons when they reopen, always a great selection of real ales, well kept and a great pub.........I’ll support the staff they employ with my custom. In regard to the media and what they report, I’d not believe everything they say, Tim Wetherspoon along with many other business up and down the country have to make very difficult decisions........ with facts we’re not party too, to come to conclusions on those decisions without being involved in the process is just wrong, and as a footnote to that.........I’m guessing those who say they won’t drink in Wetherspoons anymore, will equally not fly with BA or Virgin? Just a thought

Exactly! You said it better than me!! "

Well be there the day they re-open, big brekkie and pint and there’s no way I’m missing out on my virgin air miles. I doubt many of the haters have ever built businesses and actually created jobs

over a year ago

"Ours is really nice. Not at all smelly and scummy. I only go for the breakfasts anyway "

Same as us. We like our local ones.

We never go for a drink just breakfast and once or twice for a quick, cheap lunch.

over a year ago

Will be impossible but they will do a raging trade soon as it all gets lifted and summer hits

over a year ago

"Will be impossible but they will do a raging trade soon as it all gets lifted and summer hits"

Won't happen until after Christmas i don't think and even thats if everyone sticks to the rules.

over a year ago

Exactly! You said it better than me!!

Well be there the day they re-open, big brekkie and pint and there’s no way I’m missing out on my virgin air miles. I doubt many of the haters have ever built businesses and actually created jobs "

Race you to the bar

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

we actually discussed this in the virus thread... so i put what i put there....

i bet the way he is going to play it is the say that because a lot of wetherspoons serve food, they should be treated as a restaurant rather than a pub...

so.... reduced capacity, all seated/no standing, no lingering at the bar... or even all at table service!

you can tell he has probably had lawyers look at it...

he may even push it to the extent that you must order "food" with your first drinks purchase to exaggerate that...... after that, drink away!

over a year ago

It's all very well trying to ensure social distancing with the guests but how do the employees serve these guests? There is alot to think about & put in place. It's not going to happen any time soon

over a year ago

"Will be impossible but they will do a raging trade soon as it all gets lifted and summer hits

Won't happen until after Christmas i don't think and even thats if everyone sticks to the rules. "

Someone did say that and re opening in jan, just hoping it wasn’t true

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

THere's a big difference in most cases between permitting us some more freedoms such as meeting with close friends and family and perhaps gathering in small groups....and a limited return to work in areas where social distancing is viable....and reopening pubs where sometimes hundreds of people (some d*unk) gather.

Even when restaurants are permitted to open, they will likely have strict restrictions on occupancy...distance between tables etc. True gastro pubs might be able to do something similar but places like 'spoons, indeed most pubs regardless of whether food is served, will either wait or drastically change their business model. Or wait until we have drugs which keep people out of hospital or a reliable vaccine that is safe for everyone to take.

over a year ago

"Will be impossible but they will do a raging trade soon as it all gets lifted and summer hits

Won't happen until after Christmas i don't think and even thats if everyone sticks to the rules. Someone did say that and re opening in jan, just hoping it wasn’t true "

I think its possible but not as it was before.

I think there will be limits on group size and numbers etc...

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

Won't happen until after Christmas i don't think and even thats if everyone sticks to the rules. "

Think they be open well before that they serve food so could just open for that rather than drinkers

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

" Someone did say that and re opening in jan, just hoping it wasn’t true "

True fact. Nobody in the world actually knows when the pubs will open. But it can't be until there's a drastically reduced chance of spreading the virus or an effective treatment that keeps people out of hospital or a vaccine.

All the red tops shouting "no boozers until Christmas" aren't helping. Honestly. Nobody knows. Not even Boris.

over a year ago

I work for a large well known group in hospitality. We have no idea when we will open so the media can speculate as much as they like it's all bullshit

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

"I work for a large well known group in hospitality. We have no idea when we will open so the media can speculate as much as they like it's all bullshit "

Exactly. Nobody knows.

Similarly I work in a secondary school and get daily updates from the DfE....most of the guff reported in the papers (especially the tabloids) is utter rubbish. No decision has been made as to when or how schools will reopen.

Tim Martin can say he's going to reopen Wetherspoons pubs....the fact remains it would currently break the law. He's angling to the politicians to tell him when and under what circumstances he can reopen....and I understand the desire of everyone in the hospitality industry to know....but frankly the government has bigger fish to fry right now.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I work for a large well known group in hospitality. We have no idea when we will open so the media can speculate as much as they like it's all bullshit

Exactly. Nobody knows.

Similarly I work in a secondary school and get daily updates from the DfE....most of the guff reported in the papers (especially the tabloids) is utter rubbish. No decision has been made as to when or how schools will reopen.

Tim Martin can say he's going to reopen Wetherspoons pubs....the fact remains it would currently break the law. He's angling to the politicians to tell him when and under what circumstances he can reopen....and I understand the desire of everyone in the hospitality industry to know....but frankly the government has bigger fish to fry right now."

I think most people just can't handle "we don't know".

I'm not comfortable with it either...

By *oxychicWoman
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

[Removed by poster at 01/05/20 20:00:42]

over a year ago

" Someone did say that and re opening in jan, just hoping it wasn’t true

True fact. Nobody in the world actually knows when the pubs will open. But it can't be until there's a drastically reduced chance of spreading the virus or an effective treatment that keeps people out of hospital or a vaccine.

All the red tops shouting "no boozers until Christmas" aren't helping. Honestly. Nobody knows. Not even Boris. "

Yes this is it no one can predict what’s going to happen, it’s a case of week to week and being sensible.

over a year ago

"I work for a large well known group in hospitality. We have no idea when we will open so the media can speculate as much as they like it's all bullshit

Exactly. Nobody knows.

Tim Martin can say he's going to reopen Wetherspoons pubs....the fact remains it would currently break the law. He's angling to the politicians to tell him when and under what circumstances he can reopen....and I understand the desire of everyone in the hospitality industry to know....but frankly the government has bigger fish to fry right now.

I think most people just can't handle "we don't know".

I'm not comfortable with it either..."

Exactly! X

Post new Message to Thread