Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

International commemoration

Jump to newest

By *naswingdress OP   Woman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Today is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand. Think Remembrance Sunday but local and bigger. Commemorating the anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli, a disaster but the "national battle" for both nations.

It must have been very strange today without the marches.

It seems somewhat apt, in these strange times, to think about a section of the population sacrificing themselves, people coming together for a common cause, and nations left changed forever.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Lest we forget.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"Today is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand. Think Remembrance Sunday but local and bigger. Commemorating the anniversary of the landing at Gallipoli, a disaster but the "national battle" for both nations.

It must have been very strange today without the marches.

It seems somewhat apt, in these strange times, to think about a section of the population sacrificing themselves, people coming together for a common cause, and nations left changed forever.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Lest we forget."

It was for their actions in the dardanelles that Australia and New Zealand were given dominion status, rather than direct vassals to the crown, I believe. Dan Carlin asked his airforce uncle who he thought were the best soldiers in the world, and his response was "generally british, specifically Australian and New Zealanders".

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

"They gave their today so we can have our tomorrow". Both my grandads saw action in ww2. One was on a troopship which was torpedoed. He survived...his best mates did not. The other saw action in the European campaign. That's all I know as neither ever talked about it.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

""They gave their today so we can have our tomorrow". Both my grandads saw action in ww2. One was on a troopship which was torpedoed. He survived...his best mates did not. The other saw action in the European campaign. That's all I know as neither ever talked about it. "

I had a great great great uncle who died in Flanders during the great war. I also had a great great uncle who was captured in Singapore and died on the Burma road.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My family was relatively spared in both world wars. But the reverberations of camaraderie, coming together, the very Australian notion of "mateship" are throughout and very much influence me. Community, volunteerism, etc. I listened to an interesting podcast awhile ago on how these ideals can be channeled not only to help others, but also to help our mental health. Being part of a greater whole and not being helpless.

The Anzac spirit lives on, as they say.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"My family was relatively spared in both world wars. But the reverberations of camaraderie, coming together, the very Australian notion of "mateship" are throughout and very much influence me. Community, volunteerism, etc. I listened to an interesting podcast awhile ago on how these ideals can be channeled not only to help others, but also to help our mental health. Being part of a greater whole and not being helpless.

The Anzac spirit lives on, as they say."

That's kind of sweet

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"My family was relatively spared in both world wars. But the reverberations of camaraderie, coming together, the very Australian notion of "mateship" are throughout and very much influence me. Community, volunteerism, etc. I listened to an interesting podcast awhile ago on how these ideals can be channeled not only to help others, but also to help our mental health. Being part of a greater whole and not being helpless.

That's kind of sweet "

It's also really powerful when mobilised by large groups.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How fast you gonna run ?

As fast as a leopard..

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

That's kind of sweet

It's also really powerful when mobilised by large groups."

I imagine that it is yeah. As an air cadet my squadron lead the guard of honour for the big remembrance event at the local town hall. That was also pretty powerful.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"How fast you gonna run ?

As fast as a leopard..

"

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

That's kind of sweet

I imagine that it is yeah. As an air cadet my squadron lead the guard of honour for the big remembrance event at the local town hall. That was also pretty powerful."

It's certainly variations on similar cultural themes, given (for Australia) the large influence of our (settler/ white) Anglo-Irish heritage.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

That's kind of sweet

I imagine that it is yeah. As an air cadet my squadron lead the guard of honour for the big remembrance event at the local town hall. That was also pretty powerful.

It's certainly variations on similar cultural themes, given (for Australia) the large influence of our (settler/ white) Anglo-Irish heritage."

Well, you are a bunch of criminals

Jk jk

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

That's kind of sweet

It's certainly variations on similar cultural themes, given (for Australia) the large influence of our (settler/ white) Anglo-Irish heritage.

Jk jk "

Being ashamed of convict roots is a bit 1970s

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

That's kind of sweet

Jk jk

Being ashamed of convict roots is a bit 1970s "

Just a bit

over a year ago

As fast as a leopard..

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator "

it is and being faster than a cheat ah makes more sense... but it's the line Mel Gibsons mate uses in the movie Galopili..

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

As fast as a leopard..

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator it is and being faster than a cheat ah makes more sense... but it's the line Mel Gibsons mate uses in the movie Galopili.. "

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

As fast as a leopard..

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator it is and being faster than a cheat ah makes more sense... but it's the line Mel Gibsons mate uses in the movie Galopili.. "

I've never seen it, but it should really go on my list of war films to see.

over a year ago

As fast as a leopard..

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator it is and being faster than a cheat ah makes more sense... but it's the line Mel Gibsons mate uses in the movie Galopili..

I've never seen it, but it should really go on my list of war films to see. "

you really should ...you will shed a tear though

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It is quite moving. And very well done.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

As fast as a leopard..

Did you mean cheetah? A leopard is an ambush predator it is and being faster than a cheat ah makes more sense... but it's the line Mel Gibsons mate uses in the movie Galopili..

I've never seen it, but it should really go on my list of war films to see. you really should ...you will shed a tear though "

I doubt it, I think I'm dead inside.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

https://youtu.be/oOCe2Y7iVF8

If you like a bit of power metal then this is a great homage to the troops of gallipoli

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've spoken to people who tell me my little efforts are my generation's war effort.

I feel embarrassed by the comparison. I only do a little.

But if we all do a little we can make a big difference. We can't fight, we can't all be medics, but we can look out for each other, check on the vulnerable. Raise morale. Keep ourselves on course.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"https://youtu.be/oOCe2Y7iVF8

If you like a bit of power metal then this is a great homage to the troops of gallipoli"

The song that springs to mind is The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. Which I'll look up at some stage today and have an ugly cry.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

"I've spoken to people who tell me my little efforts are my generation's war effort.

But if we all do a little we can make a big difference. We can't fight, we can't all be medics, but we can look out for each other, check on the vulnerable. Raise morale. Keep ourselves on course."

I agree, unfortunately people seem to be much too selfish.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

If you like a bit of power metal then this is a great homage to the troops of gallipoli

The song that springs to mind is The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. Which I'll look up at some stage today and have an ugly cry."

Got it on now.

over a year ago

well done ina for posting

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

The song that springs to mind is The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. Which I'll look up at some stage today and have an ugly cry.

Got it on now."

Wow, its sent shivers down my spine

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I've spoken to people who tell me my little efforts are my generation's war effort.

But if we all do a little we can make a big difference. We can't fight, we can't all be medics, but we can look out for each other, check on the vulnerable. Raise morale. Keep ourselves on course.

I agree, unfortunately people seem to be much too selfish."

Perhaps. But all I can control is myself. And *I* can help.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Got it on now.

Wow, its sent shivers down my spine"

I get the shivers and then I weep. I do it every year. It's one way I remember.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I agree, unfortunately people seem to be much too selfish.

Perhaps. But all I can control is myself. And *I* can help."

Good for you!

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Got it on now.

I get the shivers and then I weep. I do it every year. It's one way I remember."

Hopefully this year I will bump into a poppy seller. I've not seen one for years.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Got it on now.

Hopefully this year I will bump into a poppy seller. I've not seen one for years."

I have complicated feelings on the poppy. I commemorate in my own way.

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

Back in 2003/4 can't remember, our regiment went accross to OZ to take part in the Anzac parade i Canberra then to Sydney for the Military Tattoo at the Ozzy Stadium.

One of the best tours i have ever done and the Ozzie's could not have made us feel more welcome.

You duty is done. See you at the re-org

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

The Canberra Anzac parades are always particularly special.

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

Got it on now.

Hopefully this year I will bump into a poppy seller. I've not seen one for years.

I have complicated feelings on the poppy. I commemorate in my own way."

Yes well, recently they have been used to forward far right agendas so I understand your misgivings.

over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Got it on now.

I have complicated feelings on the poppy. I commemorate in my own way.

Yes well, recently they have been used to forward far right agendas so I understand your misgivings."

That's exactly it.

Remembering past and present sacrifices, celebrating national and international coming together for peace, supporting soldiers and their well-being, great.

Uncritical support of any government military or military adjacent action... never.

Post new Message to Thread